Discussion about rules

Nerian

I don't expect you to change your sheet, but 4 dots in a skill isn't what I intended. I'm saying you can keep it that way because I want to see how it plays out in combat. So in case you look back at the rulebook and that rule is different that's why.

I can't seem to be able to edit the Empty Sheet, and quite frankly, I prefer to keep it as is, if that's alright with you ?

As for the 4 dots in Martial Arts at the start, I understand very well that it is a playtest game, and that things may change as we try them, of course. So we shall see, it's fine :)

Eh you know whatever on the character sheet it's fine, I can find it so no big deal.

Do you know anybody else who would want to play and to test the game out.

My concept is a guy who comes from the jousting field, used to wearing full plate on horseback and going at it with wooden lances. I guess I could say he is still a young squire, not a fully hatched knight yet. But it seems impossible under the current rules to build a well-rounded cavalryman. A guy who can wear the full plate and sit on a horse has to have his XP funneled into Might with a bit left over for Ride, Shield, and Heavy Armor. Making him super strong but 2-dimensional.

8 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

My concept is a guy who comes from the jousting field, used to wearing full plate on horseback and going at it with wooden lances. I guess I could say he is still a young squire, not a fully hatched knight yet. But it seems impossible under the current rules to build a well-rounded cavalryman. A guy who can wear the full plate and sit on a horse has to have his XP funneled into Might with a bit left over for Ride, Shield, and Heavy Armor. Making him super strong but 2-dimensional.

A well rounded calvaryman would be a seasoned adventurer. Character creation would be more like a squire who is maybe just raised to being a knight, or maybe in the final years of being a squire.

If you want to say he is a squire and your knight is on the caravan with you, that is fine, I could work with that.

Let's go ahead and remove the age of the girl he's betrothed to as well. I understand medieval times were what they were, but we don't have to go into that here.

So, with the wild shape thing, it looks like we can do most any animal?

was thinking about a pixie mage, but not really sure about the spells and stuff, and how that all works. I assume we buy them with xp, but the list is pretty short, and I am not sure about how the improvised spells work.

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

The spells are more of a free form casting, sort of like Mage the Ascension. SO basically you describe what you want the spell to do, and then you roll the dice to see if you can make the effect you want happen, assuming you have the correct magickal skills to do so.

I wanted a very flexible magick system.

I haven't started creating the spells as of yet, but spells when you purchase them with XP are going to be set effects, kind of like a rote in Mage the Asension, if you have ever played World of Darkness before.

Ok. That duration of wild shape, 1 hour per pip. Is that per day? Or per short rest? Per activation? Is there a way to extend it using magic points or stamina? Thinking of a pixie that took on the form of a kitten, then inadvertently got adopted by a family that took them to town far from their home when they took a nap. Ended up becoming an adventurer when they discovered playing with mortals was more fun than making the flowers bloom, or whatever.

16 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Ok. That duration of wild shape, 1 hour per pip. Is that per day? Or per short rest? Per activation? Is there a way to extend it using magic points or stamina? Thinking of a pixie that took on the form of a kitten, then inadvertently got adopted by a family that took them to town far from their home when they took a nap. Ended up becoming an adventurer when they discovered playing with mortals was more fun than making the flowers bloom, or whatever.

The hours is total per day. At this time there is no way to extend that, although that is a good thing for me to think about, maybe greater Wild Shape or something. It's something I will take into consideration.

Maybe Great Wild Shape can also give other forms as well elementals or something.

Hmm let me stew on that a bit, but for now no way to extend it.

Armor and shield prices have been reworked, also the penalties for the armor have been reworked to be more in line with my vision.

Helm resistances now stack with armor resistances

• 2 weeks later...

The Tabaxi bonus of +2 stealth and +2 perception dice seems super strong compared to some of the other racial bonuses - at minimum it's effectively 48XP free for skills that are generically useful to most characters, and it only gets better the more you invest in those two skills since it's effectively two extra dots at the highest levels (so if the player drops 48XP to bring those skills up it's suddenly 112 free XP). Perhaps changing it to -1 XP cost for those two skills would bring it in line with some of the other racial bonuses?