Season 1

Such a bad roll it started Mooncake Festival early! Question for the GM : assuming Mooncake Festival is somewhat about the moon, and the moon being Tui, and Tui and La being waterbending spirits, would the Mooncake Festival be looked down on by uptight Fire Nation types?

@moarhair so what do you think about me going for my +1 'Walk This Way' roll to have us both blend in as privileged Beifong-like Earth Kingdom fancy people? 

On a 10+, the performance is flawless; you gain access to wherever you wanted to fit in while attracting little suspicion.

On a 7–9, you fool nearly everyone; there’s only a single gatekeeper who asks any questions or stands in your way.

On a miss, the only way to get the access you desired is for one of your friends to take on a uncomfortable, dangerous, or attention-grabbing role.

Edited by Robodogg
putting in a question for strengleronymous! (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Robodogg said:

@moarhair so what do you think about me going for my +1 'Walk This Way' roll to have us both blend in as privileged Beifong-like Earth Kingdom fancy people? 

I'm not sure that that would help us fit in with a bunch of rural villagers. If the Mooncake festival in Xidi attracts visiting notables for nearby towns, then I could see it working. @Stengleronymous could that be the case? It would help explain why the other characters are there too.

@Robodogg and @moarhairThe Fire Nation as it is today does indeed look down on any form of moon-worship as backwards, yes. The Mooncake Festival as it's practiced in the Earth Kingdom is more of a harvest-is-in, let's-be-together-with-family-before-winter thing than a specific celebration of the moon-spirit, since the typical Earth Kingdom commoner knows basically nothing about the actual moon-spirit (and its true nature is not known even to most Water Tribespeople). But yes, it's normal for nobles in the Earth Kingdom to stop in villages they pass on the way, so it's believable that some Earth nobles in the middle of a trip could stop here in the village for the festival.

@Wondertainthat sounds good to me!

On 1/27/2023 at 5:22 PM, Stengleronymous said:

For @Oceane @DoNotFearToTread @Voldaren and @Wondertain, I'd like to introduce your characters soon! So, I ask each of you: what brings your character to little Xidi Village for the Mooncake Festival this year? I'm happy to help brainstorm ideas if anyone isn't sure.

I imagine Fang as having been doing a lot of wandering since she left the Dai Li. I'd say partly chance, but also to be somewhere with people during the festival; as a waterbender I imagine she observed it back home with the Foggy Swamp tribe. 

On 1/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, Stengleronymous said:

For @Oceane @DoNotFearToTread @Voldaren and @Wondertain, I'd like to introduce your characters soon! So, I ask each of you: what brings your character to little Xidi Village for the Mooncake Festival this year? I'm happy to help brainstorm ideas if anyone isn't sure.

Since Taral is specifically on his family-mandated tour of the other kingdoms to learn what they value, I imagine he would be looking for any celebrations or festivals to attend as those usually give a good window into what the local people find worthy of attention. Plus, cake. 

6 hours ago, moarhair said:

I'm not sure that that would help us fit in with a bunch of rural villagers. If the Mooncake festival in Xidi attracts visiting notables for nearby towns, then I could see it working. @Stengleronymous could that be the case? It would help explain why the other characters are there too.

I mean, fair! If disguising as a noble type doesn't seem all that fun, there is always the ol' standby 'We are travelling circus acrobats here to entertain the festival'.

Oh, it's not about the fun factor. I think it would be a lot of fun to have country bumpkin Fei try to sound hoity-toity. It was just a question a feasibility, but with Steng's confirmation that notables would stop by, it sounds to me like a good plan!

As for Miyah she would be feeling a little homesick, so the Mooncake festival would be a great way to spend her time and reminisce. Of course, she won't complain about the packed crowds and easy pickings either...

@Robodogg I realized that my last post could be read as me poking holes in the plan. That was not my intent. I meant it as a tee up for you to show off Khulan's amazing makeover and coaching skills. So, whatever you end up telling/doing for Fei will have her be 100% on board and ready to roll.