Enoch Hawkmoor, Spear of St Cuthbert

Raleigh.jpg.0e3c447e4d332ea063ccbdcdbb31fcf2.jpg"You want to survive, you need to learn to live with monsters. The ones with tooth and claw are easy to spot but the ones who come slithering out of your own darkness, armed with self-doubt and regret are the ones that'll tear you down."

Level: 1
Class: Swashbuckler
Archetype: None.
Background: Pilgrim
Deity: St Cuthbert

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 179 lbs
Eyes: Midnight Blue
Skin: Lightly Tanned
Hair: Dark Brown; Shaggy

Race: Human, Skilled

Abilities
Ability | Modifier
STR: 12 | +1
DEX: 18 | +4
CON: 10 | +0
INT: 10 | +0
WIS: 12 | +1
CHA: 16 | +3

Hit Points: 18
Armor Class: 18
Size: Medium
Speed: 25 ft

Perception: +6 ◆◆
Fort Save: +3 ◆
Ref Save: +9 ◆◆
Will Save: +6 ◆◆

Abilities

Ancestry

Human 

Heritage

Skilled

Background

Pilgrim

Ancestry Features

N-A

Class Features

Class Proficiencies | PanacheStyle: Wit | Precise Strike | Confident Finisher

Feats

Skill Feats Class & Archetype Feats Ancestry & General Feats

Bon Mot | Pilgrim's Token

Flying Blade | One for All

Cooperative Nature | Natural Ambition

Skills 

Trained: ◆ | Expert: ◆◆ | Master: ◆◆◆ | Legendary: ◆◆◆◆

Acrobatics: +7 ◆
Arcana: +0 
Athletics: +4 ◆
Crafting: +0
Deception: +6 ◆

Diplomacy: +6 ◆
Intimidation: +3
Lore (St Cuthbert): +3 ◆

Medicine: +1
Nature: +1
Occultism: +0

Performance: +3
Religion: +4 ◆
Society: +3 ◆
Stealth: +7 ◆
Survival: +1
Thievery: +7 ◆

Attacks

MELEE RANGE

Rapier, Deadly (d8), Disarm, Finesse ◆, +7 1d6+1 P

Starknife, Agile, Deadly (d6), Finesse, Thrown 20 ft, Versatile S ◆, +7 1d4+1 P

Whip, Disarm, Finesse, Nonlethal, Reach, Trip ◆, +7 1d4+1 s

Starknife, Agile, Deadly (d6), Finesse, Thrown 20 ft, Versatile S ◆, +7 1d4+1 P

Inventory

Platinum Gold   Silver Copper
0 4   4 0

Weapons & Armor

Rapier

Starknife

Whip

Leather

Adventuring Gear

Worn Stowed

Backpack, Chalk (x10), Flint & Steel, Thieves' Tools, Waterskin

Bedroll, Rations (x2), Rope, Soap, Torch (x5)

Current Bulk: 3 Encumbered: 6.0 Maximum:  11.0

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Background:  Enoch Hawkmoor, scion of the noble Hawkmoor family of Furyondy, was raised amidst the grandeur of Hawkmoor Castle, instilled from a young age with the values of honor, courage, and justice. His upbringing was framed not only by rigorous education and training but also by pilgrimages to holy sites of St. Cuthbert alongside his father, deepening his connection to faith and righteousness. Prior to his enrollment at Verrocchio's Academy of the Blade & Valor, Enoch received teachings in the doctrines of St Cuthbert, laying the foundation for his unwavering devotion to his family's legacy and the principles of justice and righteousness.

At the academy, Enoch found himself immersed in a world of competition and rivalry, where his greatest adversary emerged in the form of Adrian Duskmourn, the prodigal son of a rival noble family who opposed the Hawkmoors at court. Their clashes in the training halls were legendary, each duel pushing them to the limits of their skill and endurance. Unbeknownst to Enoch, Adrian harbored a dark secret—he wielded arcane power granted by occult sources, his family's devotion to their patron, Vecna, a fact that would shape the course of their rivalry in ways Enoch could never anticipate.

After the fall of the Hawkmoor family, orchestrated by the cult of Vecna and their proxies, the Duskmourns, Enoch sought solace in the halls of Verrocchio's Academy one last time. There, he received guidance and reassurance from Master Lorenzo di Verrocchio, who presented him with a worn leather portfolio containing the legacy of his teachings. With a renewed sense of purpose and determination, Enoch set out into the world, his heart heavy with the weight of his family's fall but his spirit bolstered by the knowledge that he carried with him the wisdom of generations past.

Armed with his master's teachings and fueled by a burning desire to reclaim his family's honor, Enoch embarked on a quest for redemption that would lead him beyond the city of Greyhawk and into the greater world. Along the way, he would confront the darkness that had consumed his family and seek to uncover the truth behind their downfall. It was during one such journey that Enoch found himself face-to-face with the horrors of the restless dead, their hollow eyes fixed upon him with hungry malice.

In the crucible of battle, Enoch emerged victorious, driving back the darkness and banishing the necromancer's foul minions to the depths from whence they came. As he stood amidst the ruins of his foe's dark machinations, a sense of clarity washed over him—a realization that no matter how dire the circumstances, he would not falter in his quest to uphold the Hawkmoor legacy of fighting against the darkness. With newfound resolve burning bright within him, Enoch Hawkmoor vowed to continue his journey, to confront the evils that lurked in the shadows, and to reclaim his family's honor one righteous deed at a time.

Personality: Enoch Hawkmoor, while bearing the weight of his family's disgrace and the burdens of his own quest for redemption, harbors a deep-seated cynicism and misanthropy that have been forged in the crucible of his trials. His experiences have taught him to view the world through jaded eyes, seeing humanity as inherently flawed and corrupt, capable of the most despicable deeds in the pursuit of power and self-interest. This outlook has instilled in him a sense of detachment and disillusionment, causing him to keep others at arm's length and to trust only in his own abilities and instincts.

Despite his cynical demeanor and mistrust of others, there lies within Enoch the heart of a Hawkmoor—a flickering flame of compassion and empathy that refuses to be extinguished by the darkness that surrounds him. Beneath his gruff exterior lies a deeply compassionate soul, driven by a desire to protect the innocent and stand up for those who cannot defend themselves. Though he may be quick to dismiss others as unworthy or untrustworthy, Enoch cannot ignore the call of justice that burns within him, compelling him to act in the face of injustice and oppression.

Enoch's cynicism and misanthropy serve as both a shield and a sword, protecting him from the pain of the past while fueling his determination to fight against the forces of darkness that threaten to consume the world. Despite his doubts and his flaws, Enoch remains a reluctant hero—a lone wolf in a world of shadows, driven by a sense of duty and a glimmer of hope that one day, justice will prevail and the light will triumph over the darkness.

Edicts & Anathema: 

Edicts:

• Justice Above All: Enoch believes in the primacy of justice and the rule of law, and he holds himself accountable to uphold these principles in all aspects of his life. He is unwavering in his commitment to seek out and confront injustice, regardless of the personal cost or the obstacles he may face.

• Protection of the Innocent: Enoch considers it his solemn duty to protect the innocent and the vulnerable from harm, drawing upon his skills and resources to defend those who cannot defend themselves. He will go to great lengths to ensure the safety and well-being of others, even if it means putting himself in harm's way.

• Redemption Through Action: Despite his cynicism and misanthropy, Enoch believes in the possibility of redemption—for himself and for others. He sees every challenge as an opportunity to make amends for past mistakes and to strive towards a brighter future, guided by the belief that even the darkest souls can find salvation through acts of courage and selflessness.

Anathema:

• Corruption and Betrayal: Enoch has little tolerance for those who betray the trust of others or who seek to exploit their power for selfish gain. He views acts of corruption and betrayal as unforgivable sins, and he will not hesitate to confront and condemn those who engage in such behavior, no matter their station or influence.

• Abandonment of Duty: Enoch considers it a grave offense to shirk one's responsibilities or to turn a blind eye to injustice. He holds himself and others to a high standard of accountability, and he views any act of cowardice or negligence in the face of adversity as a betrayal of the principles he holds dear.

• Desecration of the Divine: As a devout follower of St. Cuthbert, Enoch reveres the divine and holds sacred the teachings of his faith. He views any act of blasphemy or desecration of the divine as an affront to his beliefs and a direct challenge to his sense of moral integrity. He will not tolerate such sacrilege and will take swift and decisive action to defend the sanctity of his faith.

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)

1. What is your experience with Pathfinder 2e?

I was introduced to PF2E via podcasts, while I was working the overnight shift for a few months straight. Then I started looking out for Play by Post games of it, and learning the rule set. I loved the three action system, how skills were much more than an add on, and almost as character defining as, some, class features. I was invited to play a 5E VTT with some of my old table top crew and it felt ... bland ... so I introduced them to PF2E and it's now our game of choice, my one good friend, who was burnt out of fantasy games for years, came back to the table because of the ruleset. So I am experienced with the system, have a too large portion of my phone dedicated to Pathbuilder and a dossier of theory crafted builds.

2. What is your experience with PbP?

I moved to Northern Ontario about ten years ago, moving away from my table top crew of, too many years to count. So I started engaging in various forums, Play by Post, to satisfy my RPG needs. It's an entirely different beast than a table top game, it moves at a glacial pace, and, as a player, you need to push the game forward, dictating actions, engaging other players, and making quick, often ill-conceived decisions, because, forward momentum is what keeps the game going. Engaging other players, leaving your posts with either hooks, or calls to action

In the dojo we had a saying, There is one way, and that way is through.  In play-by-post, a similar adage holds true, There is one way, and that way is forward.

3. What is your Role-playing Experience (overall, PbP and otherwise)? And, what makes a game "good"?

I have been playing roleplaying games for, some number of decades at this point. Started with D&D, as so many did, but as a comic nerd, my first real exposure to the Role-playng aspect, was with Champions (bonus points if you remember the Big Blue Book), then the Hero System (Fantasy Hero, Star Hero, Pulp Hero, etc), then Call of Cthulhu, Top Secret, eventually hit Vampire the Masquerade, and found one of my most engaging GM's ever. Discovered the emotional impact a good story, a good game, and a powerful narrative could have. We branched out into other Whitewold games (Werewolf, Changeling, Aeon, Trinity, etc) ... then dipped back into D&D with 4e (not as bad as folks remember, and I enjoyed it), then started to slow down. Came back and my friends were playing 5e, and it felt ... boring, not as crunchy. Moved, as stated above, discovered, through PbP, the Powered by the Apocalypse game, then Masks, still puttered with D&D, some Starfinder, then PF2e.

A good game involves buy-in, both from players and the GM, investment in both **your** character, and your fellow players, the setting, and the NPC's you are interacting with. I remember a piece of the Masks game, where, under GM advice, it reads: Be a fan of your players.  I think that should be a golden rule, both for GM's and Players. If you enjoy the other characters you are interacting with, and want to shine the spotlight on them, or are engaged about their scenes, then you are in a good game.

4. Please link me a couple examples of your Roleplaying here at the Weave (preferred). If no examples, be sure to post an "RP" in the open RP thread (when I get one up) I'd like to see a sample of your game-style writing.

Like I said I have played several Play by Posts, so we've got a back log of games we could peruse. Skulls & Shackles where I play Amenius, a Chelaxian Naval Officer pressed into service on a pirate ship. Kingmaker, 2nd Expedition where I play Syláeth Vyre, a Brevic Big Game hunter, a noble inventor with an arquebus, loosely based off of Sir Hamemrlock of Borderlands fame. And Ironfang Invasion where I play Ealdred, a big man, with big personality, based off of ... as his image would indicated ... Thor of the MCU. Noble warrior, and bro ... is essentially the personality I was going for there.

5. Tell me about a couple of your favorite characters you've actually played (in PBP or even in TT) and why you enjoyed those characters so much.

Austin Taylor, Guardsman, a DC Heroes flying super strength brick, balancing the role of hero and student, son, football hopeful who got disqualified because of his public display of powers. Found out he was the clone of one of the campaign's big bads. A fun character to play, a mash up of Superman and Spiderman. Good game, it ran a few years with my friends after we'd had some 3.5 burnout.

Viktor Drakovitch, a Ventrue who lived through a Dark Ages game, and got played in modern times. My first VtM character, a Crusader in a dark ages game, but he chilled out, gained some true faith, and became a high humanity advocate for the Ventrue clan. I enjoy him because he saw some real character growth going from high strength crusader bad ass, to a mostly pacifist (for a vampire) priest in modern times. I still dig him out on occasion, when our GM rolls into town for our annual table top game.

6. Name (do not use the "mention" function) one or more players 'applying' for this game who you would like to be accepted.

Honestly, I can play with anyone, I enjoy players who are excited to play their characters and explore those characters by interactions with other players. I have played with Eagleheart before, and look forward to doing so again. They've submitted a magus to Greypath, and my submission is all about group play, would love to see how high we can bump those spellstrike crits!

Minerva Hecate:

"Minerva Hectae? A woman hungry for knowledge, that one. She's got a fire in her eyes, burning bright with ambition. But tread carefully around her, for she's delving into depths best left untouched. There's power there, no doubt, but it's the kind that can corrupt a soul quicker than you can blink. Best keep your distance unless you're willing to risk the darkness that lurks within her pursuit of secrets."

Liam Tullius:

"Liam Tullius? He's got the swagger of a noble but the edge of a man who's seen his fair share of hard times. There's a fire burning in him, fueled by resentment and a need to prove himself. He's got skill with a sword, no doubt, but his path with magic is unconventional, to say the least. Still, there's something about him, a determination mixed with a hint of vulnerability. He's a man searching for his place in the world, and he's not about to let anyone stand in his way."

Boz:

"Boz? He's got the look of someone who's seen the worst the world has to offer and decided to give it right back. There's a darkness in him, no doubt, but it's tempered by a sense of justice, twisted though it may be. He's a rogue through and through, always looking for the next big score, but there's a soft spot in his heart for the downtrodden. You can see it in the way he moves, always on the lookout for those who've been cast aside by society."

More to follow ...

• 2 weeks later...