Edit History

Cointhief

Cointhief

You pick specific, individual instruments from the list in the PHB equipment section. The list is not exhaustive and players can make up their own. Same with gaming set.

On the Pipes of the Sewers, I would allow any wind instrument proficiency (Bagpipe, Flute, Horn, Pan flute, Shawm) to satisfy the requirement.

I'll have to think on Instrument of the Bards. Let me get back to you on that one.

Incidentally this is one of the things they are changing with One. And I agree, your choices here are unlikely to ever matter.

edit: Yeah, on the Instrument of the Bards I will say you need the matching proficiency to get the performance bonus and spellcasting focus benefits. You would need cittern for the Mac cittern, despite it not being one of the example instruments in the PHB.

Cointhief

Cointhief

You pick specific, individual instruments from the list in the PHB equipment section. The list is not exhaustive and players can make up their own. Same with gaming set.

On the Pipes of the Sewers, I would allow any wind instrument proficiency (Bagpipe, Flute, Horn, Pan flute, Shawm) to satisfy the requirement.

I'll have to think on Instrument of the Bards. Let me get back to you on that one.

Incidentally this is one of the things they are changing with One. And I agree, your choices here are unlikely to ever matter.

edit: Yeah, on the Instrument of the Bards I will say you need the matching proficiency to get the performance bonus and spellcasting focus benefits. You would cittern for the Mac cittern, despite it not being one of the example instruments in the PHB.

Cointhief

Cointhief