Medium Monstrosity Thri-Kreen

Armor Class: 15

Hit Points: 43

Speed: 30' ft.

Senses: Passive Perception (16)

Languages: Common, Thri-Kreen

Proficiency Bonus +3

Description:

Steve looks like a thri-kreen, a giant bug. Seven feet tall, mottled chitin that shifts in color, four arms, mandibles for a mouth, all of it. He always seems to have his lute in his cittern in his main hands, though, playing a tune, and his secondary arms are always close to his swords. Steve's head tends to bob and weave, as does the rest of his body, although whether he is swaying to his own music or just to help him catch prey is debatable.

Story:

Steve is a smuggler, he's always been a smuggler, and he enjoys smuggling. He tends to spend his time on spelljamming ships, moving from place to place, playing his music and smuggling his wares.

ABILITIES & SKILLS
Proficiency Bonus: +3

Strength 10 (+0)
Save +
Athletics +

Dexterity 14 (+2) 
Save +5
Acrobatics +2 | Sleight of Hand +2 | Stealth (E) +8

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +2
No skills associated.

Intelligence 10 (+0)
Save +
Arcana + | History + | Investigation + | Nature + | Religion +

Wisdom 10 (+0)
Save +
Animal Handling + | Insight + | Medicine + | Perception (E) +6 | Survival +

Charisma 18 (+4) 
Save +7
Deception +7 | Intimidation +7 | Performance +4 | Persuasion +7

* (E) denotes expertise. / Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools: 3 musical instruments, a gaming set, thieves' tools
  • Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords, scimitar
  • Armors: Light Armor, Medium Armor
  • Skills: Perception, Intimidation, Persuasion (bard), Deception, Stealth (background)
  • Languages: Telepathy, Common, Thri-Kreen

BARD FEATURES

• Spellcasting
    • 3 Cantrips
    • Spell Slots: 4 / 3 / 2
    • Spells Known: 8
    • Ability: Charisma
      • Spell Save DC = 8 + Prof bonus + Cha modifier
      • Spell attack modifier = prof bonus + Cha modifier
    • Ritual Casting
    • Focus - Instrument
  • Bardic Inspiration (d8) - Cha bonus times/day, grant +d8 to allies rolls.
  • Jack of All Trades - Half proficiency bonus to any ability check that doesn't use proficiency bonus
  • Song of Rest - Extra d6 hp in short rest
  • Bard College - Swords
    • Proficiency with Medium Armor and Scimitar, melee weapon as focus
    • Fighting Style - Two Weapon Fighting - ability modifier to second attack damage
    • Blade Flourish
      • Defensive - Add inspiration die to damage, AC until next turn
      • Slashing - Add inspiration die to damage, all enemies within 5 feet
      • Mobile - Add inspiration die to damage, push 5+roll feet, follow
  • Expertise - Two skill proficiencies - Stealth, Perception
  • Font of Inspiration - Regain Bardic Inspiration at short or long rest

RACIAL TRAITS

• Chameleon Carapace. While you aren’t wearing armor, your carapace gives you a base Armor Class of 13 + your Dexterity modifier. As an action, you can change the color of your carapace to match the color and texture of your surroundings, giving you advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in those surroundings.
  • Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of yourself as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.
  • Secondary Arms. You have two slightly smaller secondary arms below your primary pair of arms. The secondary arms can manipulate an object, open or close a door or container, pick up or set down a Tiny object, or wield a weapon that has the light property.
  • Sleepless. You do not require sleep and can choose to remain conscious during a long rest, though you must still refrain from strenuous activity to gain the benefit of the rest.
  • Thri-kreen Telepathy. Without the assistance of magic, you can’t speak the non-thri-kreen languages you know. Instead you use telepathy to convey your thoughts. You have the magical ability to transmit your thoughts mentally to willing creatures within 120 feet of yourself. A contacted creature doesn’t need to share a language with you to understand your thoughts, but it must be able to understand at least one language. Your telepathic link to a creature is broken if you and the creature move more than 120 feet apart, if either of you is incapacitated, or if either of you mentally breaks the contact (no action required).

FEATS

Bonus: Magic Initiate (2 cantrips, 1st level spell, Warlock)

Level 4: Telekinetic (+1 Cha, Mage Hand Special, Shove (Strength save, DC 8+Cha+Prof, 5' towards or away)

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

Scimitar (dual-wielded) - +5 to hit, 1d6+2 Slashing, Finesse, Light

Vicious Mockery - 60' range, Wis save or 1d4 damage + disadvantage on next attack

Eldritch Blast - +7 to hit, 1d10 force damage, two beams

Booming Blade - Weapon attack +1d8 thunder damage, 2d8 thunder damage if it moves

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (99.5 lbs.)

• Weight:  lbs. / lbs. max. ( x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH ( lbs.)

Copper: Silver: Gold: 550 | Obsidian:  | Platinum: 

(0 Coins x .02 lbs. = 0 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT READIED (83 lbs.)

• Armor Carapace
  • Main Hands Mac-Fuirmidh citternAn instrument of the bards is an exquisite example of its kind, superior to an ordinary instrument in every way. Seven types of these instruments exist, each named after a legendary bard college. The following table lists the spells common to all instruments, as well as the spells specific to each one and its rarity. A creature that attempts to play the instrument without being attuned to it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or take 2d4 psychic damage.

You can use an action to play the instrument and cast one of its spells. Once the instrument has been used to cast a spell, it can't be used to cast that spell again until the next dawn. The spells use your spellcasting ability and spell save DC.

You can play the instrument while casting a spell that causes any of its targets to be charmed on a failed saving throw, thereby imposing disadvantage on the save. This effect applies only if the spell has a somatic or a material component.

Spells: Fly, Invisibility, Levitate, Protection from Evil and Good, Barkskin, Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud
  • Weapons Dual Scimitars (50 gp)
  • Readied Items (8 lbs.) 

EQUIPMENT STORED ( lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack
  • Thieves tools (25 gp)
  • Entertainer's Pack (Starting Gear)
  • Rapier (starting gear)
  • Lute (Starting gear)
  • Leather armor and dagger (starting gear)
  • Strapped to Backpack
  •  

EQUIPMENT NOT CARRIED (--)

• At Home 
  •  

* Denotes magic item (see below)

SPELLS

SPELL SLOTS 

• Bard - Spell Save DC: 15 | Spell Attack Mod: +7 | Spells Known: 8 | Spell level: 4 / 3 / 2

CANTRIPS (Bard 3) (Warlock 2) (Telekinetic)

Vicious Mockery

Prestidigitation

Minor Illusion

Booming Blade

Eldritch Blast

Mage Hand

SPELL KNOWN

(Warlock 1): From Feat

Hex

(Bard 8):

Detect Magic

Dissonant Whispers

Healing Word

Sleep

Tasha's Hideous Laughter

See Invisibility

Suggestion

Dispel Magic

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

ATTUNED (1/3)

Mac-Fuirmidh citternAn instrument of the bards is an exquisite example of its kind, superior to an ordinary instrument in every way. Seven types of these instruments exist, each named after a legendary bard college. The following table lists the spells common to all instruments, as well as the spells specific to each one and its rarity. A creature that attempts to play the instrument without being attuned to it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or take 2d4 psychic damage.

You can use an action to play the instrument and cast one of its spells. Once the instrument has been used to cast a spell, it can't be used to cast that spell again until the next dawn. The spells use your spellcasting ability and spell save DC.

You can play the instrument while casting a spell that causes any of its targets to be charmed on a failed saving throw, thereby imposing disadvantage on the save. This effect applies only if the spell has a somatic or a material component.

Spells: Fly, Invisibility, Levitate, Protection from Evil and Good, Barkskin, Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud

APPEARANCE

Age Height Weight  lbs | Hair Shiny carapace| Eyes Black segmented compound eyes | Complexion Jungle Green

BACKGROUND

Criminal
Smuggler

• Personality Traits: 

'"I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy."

• Ideals: 

People. '''I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)"

• Bond:

'''Someone I loved died because of I mistake I made. That will never happen again''

• Flaws: 

''If there's a plan, I'll forget it. If I don't forget it, I'll ignore it.'"

Background Feature: 

- Criminal Contact

You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)
Name
HP Level 2-4 rolls
4d8 6,1,8,6

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, it is taking me longer to do this character than I was expecting. Ugh. Will try to finish up tomorrow.

For the magic item, I was thinking an Instrument of the Bards. Any of the uncommon ones would do, but I like the spells in the Mac-Fuirmidh cittern most, or the Fouchlucan banddore. If that doesn't work for you, then I don't know. A refluffed Helm of Comprehend Languages, that still takes the head slot, but wouldn't look stupid on a giant bug? Or Eyes of the Eagle, that would probably be better than the helm.

The Mac instrument looks fine to me. Not sure what would look awesome on a praying mantis as far as helms go, but yeah you could do that. Then on the eyes, your call, but advantage on perception in 5e is kind of redundant imo. Most times when its rolled, the entire party rolls so its like 5x advantage already. It could negate a -5 passive for darkvision in darkness, however.

• 2 weeks later...

ThriKreen.jpg.a4c0f24287985730dbcb44144ca8fab3.jpgKlaktuk Cha-Pok but most people call me Steve

Inspiration Yes | HP 43/43 | HD 5/5d8 | AC 15 | Passive Perception 16
Str 10 | Dex 14 | Con 14 | Int 10 | Wis 10 | Cha 18
Bardic Inspiration 4/4 | Chameleon Carapice | Thri-kreen Telepathy
Spells +7 DC 15 | Cantrips | Spells Known Slots: 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Sample simple posting template

Mechanics

Active spells:

Action: -

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)