Edit History

Ayeba

Ayeba

8 hours ago, 8bitWizard said:

I had to read up on what Solo mode and Squad mode is about, and if I understand what the rulebook explained to me, we're all going to be in Solo mode at least for a couple of missions. It represents us as individuals operating as a unit, not used to working with marines outside our chapter (or legion, in this case) without the trust and cohesion of a well-trained unit of warriors. Whereas Squad mode represents us as we've grown accustomed to fighting alongside marines of a different chapter, and our squad of warriors is stronger together as a result.

I have previously only played a few (5-6) sessions of Deathwatch and joined late, so I'm obviously not a guru on the subject. If someone spots something I've misunderstood, let me know.

While the flavor reads that it may take some time to learn to wok together as a team, I don't see anything in the rules that prevent us from attempting it from the very start unless @Trish_the_Nugg_Queen rules otherwise. It seems to be to be less about training and ability to reach into the shared gene-pool to find a connection.

From a mechanical point of view (and related to the question asked by @DarthAnthrax) not allowing squad mode for several missions will be a detriment to tactical marines who choose Tactical Expertise.

10 hours ago, DarthAnthrax said:

I selected the Bolter Mastery special ability to make Elyas more powerful as an individual soldier, but after reading up a little on Squad Mode and how that works, I´m thinking maybe it would be more beneficial for the team if I switched that to the ability where I can share my chapter tactics with others, what do you think?

From my experience, Squad Mode abilities can be immensely powerful. We can enter Squad Mode regardless of whether we have a tactical marine with Tactical Expertise in our group, and use all codex Squad Modes. You can even activate Squad Modes exclusive to your legion (chapter), but they will only affect members of the same legion -- i.e. you.

A tactical marine with Tactical Expertise allows all members of the kill-team to use a Squad Mode that is exclusive to their legion. These squad modes tend to be somewhat circumstantial, but extremely powerful for situations in which they apply. Take the Dark Angel squad mode Sustained Suppression: It allows all members to use Overwatch and normal actions during their turns. Super useful if you need to maintain Overwatch, but if you don't need it? Not so much. Similarly, their Immovable Defense squad mode will provide bonuses to ballistic, dodge and armor as long as they remain stationary. But if you need to move even an inch? No bonus for you.

In my opinion, it is absolutely in our best interest to have at least one tactical marine with Tactical Expertise, because of the expanded list of squad modes available. We could look at it from a mechanics point of view; which legion (chapter) has the better Squad Mode abilities for sharing with the entire group? But I think it's better to look at it from a roleplaying point of view; which of the tactical marines are the more qualified leader? If both wants to be the squad leader, who will emerge on top? It is less about dominance and more about who can inspire the greatest trust from the rest of the squad.

I guess it's also possible to have two leaders taking turns leading the kill-team, as long as the members trust both of them.

What I don't know is if Solo mode skills resume if we're acting alone on the battlefield for any reason, or when Squad mode effectively kicks in. For the latter, I presume it is at the GM's discretion.

Everyone is by default in Solo Mode. Any member of the team can spend an action to initiate Squad Mode for all willing members of the team. It requires a test, but there is no cost associated with this, so out of combat you can try again and again until you succeed. So as long as there is an intent to enter squad mode and time to do so, it can be assumed to succeed.

Any member can individually drop out of Squad Mode if they for example wishes to use their solo abilities. They will not longer be able to benefit from activated Squad Modes. The rest of the kill-team remains in Squad Mode.

It is also possible for Squad Mode to be dropped for other reasons. Betrayal, psychic powers and maybe complete loss of cohesion (down to 0) can cause that to happen.

Ayeba

Ayeba

I had to read up on what Solo mode and Squad mode is about, and if I understand what the rulebook explained to me, we're all going to be in Solo mode at least for a couple of missions. It represents us as individuals operating as a unit, not used to working with marines outside our chapter (or legion, in this case) without the trust and cohesion of a well-trained unit of warriors. Whereas Squad mode represents us as we've grown accustomed to fighting alongside marines of a different chapter, and our squad of warriors is stronger together as a result.

I have previously only played a few (5-6) sessions of Deathwatch and joined late, so I'm obviously not a guru on the subject. If someone spots something I've misunderstood, let me know.

While the flavor reads that it may take some time to learn to wok together as a team, I don't see anything in the rules that prevent us from attempting it from the very start unless @Trish_the_Nugg_Queen rules otherwise. It seems to be to be less about training and ability to reach into the shared gene-pool to find a connection.

From a mechanical point of view (and related to the question asked by @DarthAnthrax) not allowing squad mode for several missions will be a detriment to tactical marines who choose Tactical Expertise.

I selected the Bolter Mastery special ability to make Elyas more powerful as an individual soldier, but after reading up a little on Squad Mode and how that works, I´m thinking maybe it would be more beneficial for the team if I switched that to the ability where I can share my chapter tactics with others, what do you think?

From my experience, Squad Mode abilities can be immensely powerful. We can enter Squad Mode regardless of whether we have a tactical marine with Tactical Expertise in our group, and use all codex Squad Modes. You can even activate Squad Modes exclusive to your legion (chapter), but they will only affect members of the same legion -- i.e. you.

A tactical marine with Tactical Expertise allows all members of the kill-team to use a Squad Mode that is exclusive to their legion. These squad modes tend to be somewhat circumstantial, but extremely powerful for situations in which they apply. Take the Dark Angel squad mode Sustained Suppression: It allows all members to use Overwatch and normal actions during their turns. Super useful if you need to maintain Overwatch, but if you don't need it? Not so much. Similarly, their Immovable Defense squad mode will provide bonuses to ballistic, dodge and armor as long as they remain stationary. But if you need to move even an inch? No bonus for you.

In my opinion, it is absolutely in our best interest to have at least one tactical marine with Tactical Expertise, because of the expanded list of squad modes available. We could look at it from a mechanics point of view; which legion (chapter) has the better Squad Mode abilities for sharing with the entire group? But I think it's better to look at it from a roleplaying point of view; which of the tactical marines are the more qualified leader? If both wants to be the squad leader, who will emerge on top? It is less about dominance and more about who can inspire the greatest trust from the rest of the squad.

I guess it's also possible to have two leaders taking turns leading the kill-team, as long as the members trust both of them.

What I don't know is if Solo mode skills resume if we're acting alone on the battlefield for any reason, or when Squad mode effectively kicks in. For the latter, I presume it is at the GM's discretion.

Everyone is by default in Solo Mode. Any member of the team can spend an action to initiate Squad Mode for all willing members of the team. It requires a test, but there is no cost associated with this, so out of combat you can try again and again until you succeed. So as long as there is an intent to enter squad mode and time to do so, it can be assumed to succeed.

Any member can individually drop out of Squad Mode if they for example wishes to use their solo abilities. They will not longer be able to benefit from activated Squad Modes. The rest of the kill-team remains in Squad Mode.

It is also possible for Squad Mode to be dropped for other reasons. Betrayal, psychic powers and maybe complete loss of cohesion (?) can cause that to happen.

Ayeba

Ayeba

Everyone is by default in Solo Mode. Any member of the team can spend an action to initiate Squad Mode for all willing members of the team. There is no cost associated with this, so out of combat you can try again and again until you succeed. So as long as there is an intent to enter squad mode and time to do so, it can be assumed to succeed.

It is also possible for Squad Mode to be dropped for other reasons. Betrayal, psychic powers and maybe complete loss of cohesion (?) can cause that to happen.

Ayeba

Ayeba

7 hours ago, 8bitWizard said:

9 hours ago, DarthAnthrax said:

I guess it's also possible to have two leaders taking turns leading the squad, as long as the members trust both of them.

Everyone is by default in Solo Mode. Any member of the team can spend an action to initiate Squad Mode for all willing members of the team. There is no cost associated with this, so out of combat you can try again and again until you succeed. So as long as there is an intent to enter squad mode and time to do so, it can be assumed to succeed.