Book 1, Part 3, Side Thread: The Devil You Want To Know (Kjersti and Temperance)

Fletcher

1689204652787.png.1171a71b77f17a6fe33d763e80a3c0aa.pngKjersti Volden

AC: 20 | Fort: +9 | Ref: +7 | Will: +9
HP: 36/36 | Focus: 1/1 | Hero: 0/3 | Perception: +7
Conditions

It is late in the night. Or perhaps very early in the morning. The first wafts of baking have begun to permeate the rooms throughout Long Roads, enough to infuse the dreams of the heavy sleepers and rouse those who are lighter. The sky hasn't even started to take on the first purple hues of dawn as Kjersti wakes and slips out of her room. Devoid of weaponry and armor she is passably quiet, a skill likely learned from many such early risings to get chores started on the Volden farm.

The tall redhead traverses the Coffeehouse quickly and quietly, borrowing a tray and the first offerings of the day, costing a sweet smile and a promise of help later to win over the hard-working bakers. Two steaming mugs that seem made for ogres and an absolutely huge sweet bun balance as she descends into the dark and damp of the Wasp Nest below, bare feet taking her from wooden steps to gravel shores to stone cave floors before she re-enters the soft glow of light from Temperance's working space. And as expected, she is already peering through the rims of her glasses at something.

Wearing a half-tucked nightshirt atop haphazardly pulled on trousers, Kjersti steps into the small domain of industry and approaches the tiefling's workbench quietly (though not so quietly as to be sneaking up on her, of course). Before the small blonde can look up from the last thing she is reading or deciphering, she says, "Food f'your thoughts?" The tray slides carefully into an open space and both the steam of the two huge doses of hot cocoa and the still-liquidy glaze of the stickybun offer their aromas to Temperance's senses. Brandishing a single fork, she deposits it on her side and takes up only her own mug to warm her fingers.

"You been at it awhile?"

Title

1689216106077.png.fc149026907c4b2855888e7528caa39f.pngTemperance - Sheet

AC: 20 Fort: +8 Ref: +11 Will: +7

HP: 24/24 Rebel Points: 4/3 | Perception: +7

Ammunition: 20/20 (40 Reserve) | Alchemy Prepared | Spotter | Conditions

The wee hours before dawn was no stranger to work for Temperance, and this morning was no exception. Yellow eyes perused a few documents as she scribbled some notes, the desk the tiefling had claimed for herself strewn with a smattering of documents, drawings, and haphazard notes. As Kjersti approaches, she can make out a few of the images...schematics, likely for the tech that the tiefling had come to be known for. The forefront of her attention, though, seemed to be a ledger or record of some kind.

The short woman's nose sniffed quietly as the aroma of the offering, tail flicking in curiosity as she sat up straight in her chair. Blinking slowly, she kept facing forward as the farmgirl offered the tray, head tilted slightly as she processed the arrival. No urgency nor stress...at least there's that.

Temperance's chest rose and fell slowly as she took a deep, centering breath, her hand drifting over to the fork as she used it to cut a sizable bite of pastry, bringing it to her lips and consuming it hungrily. "Not long. Early start" The fact it was also a late night was left unspoken as she turned slowly to face Kjersti, several more bites passing her lips before she partook of the sweet liquid cocoa.

"Someone has to keep things straight, might as well be me. We won't gain any ground otherwise." Gesturing to the ledger, it was clear she was referring to this fledgling organization's assets. Another bite, another sip. "Still calm since our little rescue?"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited by Toraka_Stormheart (see edit history)

Conditions

Kjersti watches Temperance slowly disengage from her work, enticed by the sweet offering but not about to show signs of eagerness. Propping both elbows on the table in front of her, the deep, depressed mark of Milani was still visible on her pale forearm, she holds the cocoa at about her nose height and breathes its sweetness until the tiefling really commits herself to the fork. Hiding a smile behind the mug, she takes a slow sip before answering.

"So far, so quiet. Even from our littlest guest - though Laria's comin' round to her, now't she knows some ole halflin' tunes. Says it's curious, though, for a fiend to have... memories, I reckon. But I don't know much 'bout that." Shrugging, she shifts to look at the ledger since she has been invited, though her eyes continue to wander over the other scribbles and diagrams, some familiar and now wrought but some still concepts to be tuned. The hand-held one with the rotating barrel had been a surprise in the park. She damn well was hard at work down here. The fact that she'd taken on keeping track of their assets - the material ones, at the least - was another surprise. A pleasant one. She had never had a mind for the finances of the farm, which her momma used to handle, then her father struggled to later. Maria had probably stepped in at some point to assist. Money was just.... not her strength.

"Thinkin' 'bout Ada, the Jills. They go back t'pilferin'... so be it. But never hurts to have more friends..." She recalls the woman's cocksure demeanor from some other land and that weapon. She could only imagine having two of those gunslinger types on their side. Twice the loud, but twice the effect. Maybe Thrune's followers would learn to fear that thunder... someday. Watching the blonde continue to pick from the sweetbun, she muses after a few moments, "I reckon that coulda gone real bad, real quick... I'm happy you stuck around."

Title

HP: 38/38 Rebel Points: 4/3 | Perception: +7

The baked confections placed between them was diminishing with certain rapidity as Temperance conversed with Kjersti, turning to give her full attention to the taller woman. Her coat was hung to the side, the tiefling simply wearing her breeches and blue linen shirt I'm the relative warmth of her workshop.

At the mention of the Red Jills, Temperance's tone was flat as she responded. "They will help. Or at least not get in our way." Said so matter of fact: some confidence likely stemming from the shared industry that Ada and Temperance were connected through.

A whisper of a smirk came on her lips as she took another bite, followed by another drink. "I have reason to now." Giving a long pause, she sat back, covering her mouth for a brief breath. "Ports are all but closed, and you...we need all the strength we can muster"

Fixing her glasses, Temperance's yellow gaze trailed up to meet Kjersti in the eyes, the half-eaten pastry momentarily abandoned. "We may not always be so lucky. But the odds have improved somewhat"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Conditions

"Either whichways... I 'magine you'd like to go along when they feel up t'talkin'. Ada seemed to see a kindred spirit in you, I reckon," Kjersti says, eyes passing over the plate to the finished designs of her various devices. She knew the tiefling had spent time with a Guild in Kintargo, either exchanging ideas or selling them (irrelevant, either way) and wonders if those folks feel the pinch of Thrune's overreach. She might be the strongest connection to rallying those sorts of folks to a cause. She sips her cocoa thoughtfully, but looks up as Temperance informs her that the ports are closed... and she has no option but to remain.

"S'pose my offer to walk y'to the docks is expired..." she murmurs, chewing at her lip. "I'll have to make it all up t'you another way." And something more than just sweetbuns, she imagines. Though it's clearly a non-negative approach to her serious companion. For all her original intent to continue drifting before things got bad here - and have the potential to get worse, if they go the way of where she came from - Temperance had stuck around and Kjersti was simultaneously glad for it and guilty about it. If something happened to her, it'd be on Kjersti's head. And her heart, honestly. She turns and glances out toward the rest of the darkened cavern beyond the tiefling's workshop, thinking of the folks who were here (or upstairs) because of them. All told, things were good... for now.

"Guess we oughta tread lightly..." she says after a moment, first speaking toward the cave, then turning back to meet that gaze again. "And enjoy the luck for as long as we can."

"...I would like that, yes" The offer to bring Temperance along actually managed to bring a smile to Temperance's face, the tiefling taking another sip of cocoa before setting the mug down, wiping a bit that stayed on her lip.

"The offer expired when a silver raven was placed in my hands."  Said simply, matter of fact, but the words carried the tiefling's conviction as she looked directly at Kjersti again. "It's no Westcrown, but much of the suffering in Kintargo is the same. I saw so much of it from a so-called gilded cage."  She paused, the observant noting that the blonde was catching herself from heating up by how she averted her gaze and held her breath for a beat.

"...As much as I tried to leave. This is nice" Allowing another smile, Temperance resumed her indulgence of the food provided. "And a good way to channel myself"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited by Toraka_Stormheart (see edit history)

Conditions

"Consider it a d...eal," Kjersti starts to use a common phrase but redirects awkwardly away, worried it will come across weirdly. Trying to save face, she hides all of this behind the lip of her mug, the subtly less-dramatic marking of Milani still very clear on her arm with the movement. When the cocoa lowers again, Temperance is again looking directly at her and the redhead listens to her.

Though they had arrived from different directions and with different expectations, their temporary plight had been the same: being uncertain if the Ravens were a horse worth backing and whether it was wise to risk their lives for a cause that, at first for sure, felt like banging against bars that would never budge. Already bearing the ember of revolution in her heart (even if it's kindling was rural farmhands and quaint people far removed from the city) it had been easy for Kjersti. As for Temperance... she just doesn't know.

So she decides to risk bringing it up. "Wouldja mind if I ask... what it was like? Westcrown, an' what you come out from?" At first, she is focused on the ripples in her cocoa, but then looks up with the question. She knew precious little about the tiefling, what drove her, what inspired her. Other than sweet confections and designing and inventing things, of course. "Your livelihood is important to me - 'specially since it's kinda on account'a me that you stayed... I just... wonder what goes on in there," she gestures toward Temperance's heart.

It was no mystery that the yellow eyes of Temperance wandered to the chained-rose imprint on Kjersti's arm every now and then. The wheels in her head were turning, and at a few moments it seemed as if she was going to bring it up to the farmgirl, only to stop. When the questions went back to her, the Nephilim's breath paused, cheeks flushing a little.

"...What is there to say? Westcrown.."

The words that followed seemed practiced, measured. "Westcrown is a jewel in the southern heart of Cheliax. A place of finery, innovation, industry, artistic renaissance, and commerce, second only to Egorian in Chelish tradition and custom."

Letting out her breath, a simmering rage undertoned the Pitborn's next words. "A center of decadence and corruption. Power fleeting and in flux, blood and souls serving as bread and circus. To step in the shadows meant to risk your being. To step out of line risk your life."

Taking a deep breath, clearly a practiced measure of centering, Temperance continued. "I saw much of the suffering from the outside, in my own Hell. Trained in servitude, given status only in appearance. A trophy, a novelty."

Her eyes narrowed, a cold seething underlying her expression. "The riot and revolt that burned half the central square gave me my opportunity to leave, and I haven't looked back." Temperance softened, sighing as she closed her eyes, lowering her head after taking a very long drink of the very hot, sweet beverage. "The energy in my breast...rage...boiling...Temper Temper...keep myself of use, focus on the good...can't lose the good..."

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Posted (edited)

1689204652787.png.51c3547b0b49efe591b1943df10ad377.pngKjersti Volden

Conditions

"Ain't no 'mount of polish can mend a rotten core," Kjersti murmurs quietly at Temperance's description of Westcrown. It's a name she's heard only a few times in her life, and knows next to nothing of the place... until now. And it sounds terrible. She watches the crack form in her friend's composed demeanor, a million things seen and done and experienced that she can only imagine, now pressing at the opening. Her instinct is to reach across the table, create a strong and solid connection to hold tight to but she's not sure that's what she wants. Rather, she watches her close her eyes and speak what is maybe like a mantra to herself.

"I'm glad you got away from that place." The words feel hollow, despite how much she means it. There is no volume of consolation or affirmation that can right the wrongs that have been done to Temperance. They will be her burden to bear forever... but that doesn't mean she has to do it alone. "An' I'm sorry for it happenin'. Feels like our corner of the world is all gone to Hell, whichever where you look." Her bright blue eyes turn down to the mostly-gone cocoa as if better answers or better solutions will present themselves in the dark ripples. There aren't any rural anecdotes in her back pocket that come anywhere near this depth of pain. Not that backwards anecdotes from the rural counties are what anyone wants to hear...

"I reckon... sounds like we got a little of the same kinda fire tryin'a burn us from inside. Y'seen it in me..." A finger unconsciously raises to brush against the thin line bisecting her brow. "...I seen it in you. Maybe why y'chose your name?" Asking the meaning behind a nephilim's name was surely deeply personal, but she still risks that ire.

"For what it's worth... y'done a whole lotta good in this place, whether you felt it was or no. For the Nursery, for the Jills, for Korva and her sisters... for me..." She looks up and smiles faintly.

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)

AC: 20 Fort: +7 Ref: +11 Will: +7

HP: 35/35 Rebel Points: 4/3 | Perception: +7

The words fall upon Temperance and seem to have the intended effect. Eyes remaining closed, her knit brow relaxes as she breathes, jaw starting to unclench as she rode out her roiling emotions...or further suppressed them, that was difficult to say.

The mention of Temperance's reasoning for her name caused the corner of her mouth to twitch slightly, curling upwards fleetingly before she opened her eyes. "One of two gifts I took with me, the name. A reminder" Leaving it at that, the nephilim turned again to her sugary offering, finding it mostly consumed by now.

Finishing it off, she turned again on the farmgirl, thinking about what she said, eyes falling on the rose imprint on her arm. "...You seem to carry that reminder as well...your stigmata. Your faith is enviable. Admirable. Time will see if it serves you well."

"...As for what it's worth...what I've accomplished here would not have happened without the right...encouragement."

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Conditions: None

"...As for what it's worth...what I've accomplished here would not have happened without the right...encouragement."

A soft smile comes slowly to Kjersti's lips as Temperance speaks those last words, delivered in the measured manner she has come to expect (and has started to understand) and offers a nod in return. It's a response that doesn't make any fanfares out of victory, or toldja-so's at being right, because trying to win over the stern blonde hadn't been for some prize but was rather a heartfelt plea. And she remained the redhead's priority, 'the most dangerous woman she ever met'.

Kjersti lays her arm out flat across the table, open hand resting near the now-empty breakfast plate. The detail from the rose-and-thorns icon is presented for Temperance's inspection if she should desire, still very prominent even after removal; it's possible the flesh would never go back to normal. Setting down her own mug, she traces down her forearm with a fingertip until it dips into the mark. "Hope... is as much a bane as a balm," she murmurs, potentially a phrase heard or learned from someone else. "I ain't never seen visions or whatnot. Been given no divine tellin's. Prob'ly the furthest thing there is from a cleric... but learnin' folks're bein' treated somethin' terrible, even out in the countryside... It ignited somethin' inside. Somethin' that were always there, but waitin'." Regarding the stigmata as she softly speaks, her chin sinks down to lay on her other arm, bright blue eyes finally turn up to Temperance. "I dunno if it's faith in the Everbloom that sees us through this storm... but I do know it's faith in each other that gives us a chance."

The words linger in the air for a moment, no thunderbolts striking the humble champion of rebellion. As it was before, meeting in a hole beneath a barn, it was the people that made this work. The goddess provided the inspiration. A soft laugh breaks the silence at some unknown thought. And while Kjersti makes no motion to be getting up, her eyes flicker to the plate again and an eyebrow quirks. "Shall I steal 'nother from upstairs, or should I letcha get back to your work?"

AC: 20 Fort: +7 Ref: +11 Will: +7

HP: 35/35 Rebel Points: 4/3 | Perception: +7

Temperance listened intently, tilting her head gently to one side as her eyes fell on the mark. At an appropriate moment, delicate fingers traced a couple of the lines. "Or perhaps you are your goddess's vision that you fail to notice. Time will tell."

Another lingering moment and the Nephilim broke away, nodding her head to the tall farmgirl. "I do have quite a bit to accomplish as well as a meeting. The distraction was...pleasant though. Thank you"

Turning to her work, the blonde picked up her pen, starting to scribble on the ledger once more. As Kjersti got up to leave, Temperance spoke up once more, eyes not looking up from her work. "I won't object to more, though, perhaps later?"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Posted (edited)

Conditions: None

While the intent behind the gentle touch of Temperance's fingers is not intimate, the sensation of it certainly feels so. The faint hairs on Kjersti's arm raise faintly as she focuses on the contact. Even now, in perhaps the safest situation she could be in, there is the silent fear of another person knowing what has been a tightly kept secret. However, the nephilim's thoughtful observance of her marking stands opposed to those fears. She can be trusted. A soft sniff of a laugh escapes her nose and she retrieves her arm, almost reluctantly, after her fingers retreat. "I hadn't thought of it that way..." she muses, quietly.

Sitting back up from what might have been observed as a strange sprawl across Temperance's workspace, Kjersti stretches her back and smiles. A 'pleasant distraction' was the best she might have hoped for - though she knew the sweetbun was a solid contender for the main reason it was pleasant. Leaving her mug but collecting the plate and her own mug, the farmgirl stands (carefully, as she's forever nervous that she's forgetting about some low-hanging bit of this cavern). "My pleasure. An' don't forget y'asked me 'bout some trainin' later t'day, too," she says, as much a reminder to herself as Temperance. "Somethin' 'bout studyin' my movements."

Turning to step away and leave the inventor to her work, the last request bring's Kjersti's bright blue gaze back over a shoulder and she grins. "You got it. Send Professor to fetch me - s'long as he don't peck my other eye - an' I'll bring y'somethin'." With that, she steps out of the workshop area and into the cold, quiet cavern, feeling a might warmer in her chest.

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)