Book 1, Part 3, Side Thread: Still Fire In The Embers (Kjersti and Setrona)

Fletcher

1689204652787.png.1171a71b77f17a6fe33d763e80a3c0aa.pngKjersti Volden

AC: 20 | Fort: +9 | Ref: +7 | Will: +9
HP: 36/36 | Focus: 1/1 | Hero: 0/3 | Perception: +7
Conditions

The hour is late, but the door to the Tooth and Nail is unlocked despite the curfew. A figure slips through the door, swathed in a dark, heavy cloak to pass through the alleyways without notice by dottari patrols. Disregarding a call from beyond the bar that they've closed for the night, the figure moves with heavy steps through the room fraught with chairs and tables, dodging the lower-hanging lights that were a favorite target of a certain faerie dragon's shenanigans.

Dropping onto a stool at the bar (which creaks in protest at its occupant's stature) the figure waits til the tiny, fiery proprietor comes into view, about to give a piece of her mind to the hooligan who hasn't heeded her threats to vacate. Even though she'd paid those gals welll enough to clear her establishment of the prankster - and keep the peace while they were at it - she really didn't need help policing her place. She was fully capable.

Kjersti Volden pulls back the deep hood and shakes out her equally red hair, deepening lines under her eyes revealing that she's been burning both ends of the candle recently. She smiles tiredly to Setrona Sabinius and holds up her hands in both a 'unarmed' and 'welp, here I am' sort of gesture. "Evenin' bartender," she says with a nod, a wry quirk to the smile. "Bother y'for a drop, a'fore you close it all up?"

The Tooth and Nail looks and feels better than it did when Maria and Kjersti first wandered in. That stale beer smell is never coming out, and the sputtering yellow lamps still give off their light like they’re being forced to glow at gunpoint, but the broken fixtures and furnishings have been repaired or replaced, and there’s a homey, pleasant feeling in the warm old building compared to the tension of Vendalfek’s misguided “excitement.”

The same applies to the owner. Setrona is still breaking the 4th proclamation, in a gaudy turquoise tunic trimmed with gold thread, and she still has a few “taxes” from breaking up fights, including a new and impressive black eye, but the deep bags under her eyes are gone - she seems to have transferred them to Kjersti - and she’s not falling asleep on her feet. The snarling tell-off the interloper was about to receive dies on her lips, transformed into a lopsided grin.

“Mmm. I don’t make a habit of servin’ dangerous lawbreakers out after curfew, but I suppose I can make an exception for my best bouncer, just this once.  And she’s our bouncer, Insome, if anyone official pokes their head in, understand?” She reminds the faithful bartender before turning her attention back to the night’s last customer.

“What’s your pleasure?  You look like you could use something fortifying. And what brings you back in here, lookin’ like death warmed over, Ms. Volden?  You’ve been in a war, lass. Hope you won.”

Conditions

Kjersti snorts a laugh as Setrona greets her and notes the way she looks so much better from the first time they had met. "Hm, one t'talk... 'dangerous lawbreaker'," she retorts, reaching out and taking the lapel of the bar owner's tunic between a thumb and finger for a moment. Despite her tiredness, the redhead seems to be functioning just fine (for now) but she's speaking to a person who is very familiar with being exhausted and pushing through on the very last gasp of energy within. She offers a brief wave to the familiar face of the bartender as he's addressed, then crosses her arms on the countertop. For what it's worth, she has replaced and re-covered her mark of Milani while out in public tonight.

"I reckon little Vendelfek is the least of our concerns, these days," she answers with a chuckle. "The least complicated for sure, if you'd believe it. Been keepin' 'em plenty entertained, at least. But war's a long way off from won... Battles maybe."

"Take a tea with me?" she asks, an eyebrow quirked. "Rosehip if y'got it? Or just somethin' herbal?" She waits for the inevitable reaction and shrugs with a smile. "Reckon I ain't makin' it home if I get too deep in the real stuff. Prefer to avoid a night in a stockade." While her host checks to see what's available, Kjersti watches her work, pulling absently at the gauntlet concealing her icon, its recent replacement reminding her with the bite of its thorny carving. The little redhead knew about them, that much was certain. She had hinted (awkwardly) upon their departure last time, but she imagined the rumors had begun to circulate. It wasn't just some stranger claiming to be taking on a legendary mantle. Now... now she thought to involved Setrona with much more than just a rumor.

When the steaming kettle returns, Kjersti leans forward to speak more quietly, despite the place being empty. As to Setrona's last, unanswered question, she murmurs, "I... want to ask a favor. An' it might be a dangerous one."

"Don't need to worry about making it home, deep in your cups or not. You could stay the night. I've got room." Setrona's characteristic boldness hasn't gone anywhere. She doesn't shy away as she meets Kjersti's gaze, but it quickly softens into quiet agreement. "Tea sounds nice, though. Been a long day. Rosehip, hm? Let me see. Might have to filch those from next door. Be a moment. Grab one of those good chairs with the cushions by the fireplace."

The expedition is a success, and Setrona returns with a fistful of fat red fruit for the kettle. While the tea boils, she settles in next to Kjersti and considers the quiet, ominous request. "I know I paid you for last time, but that got a bit bigger than some silver. I figure I owe you a favor already. I'm intrigued, an' listening. Lay it out for me."

Conditions

Settling in by the hearth in one of those types of chairs you'd never dream of getting when the house was full, Kjersti props her chin in a pensive pose in her hand and stares into the dwindling flames. The orange tongues only barely rise from the last, holdout log but the embers are an angry red, coloring and warming her features still. She hopes, just like these embers, that there is something invaluable lingering within the heart of the Tooth and Nail.

When her host returns victorious, Kjersti smirks and watches the rosehips drop into the pot. "Luculla's, I reckon?" Though her interaction with the confectioner-next-door was brief, she had overheard the stink that Setrona had caused by sneaking a cinnamon stick from her stock. "I can pay it back, if needs be," she adds with a laugh. Then settling back again, she takes a deep breath and nods at the interest. "I s'pose it ain't a secret what's been stirrin'. If folks 'round here are still the grumblin' sort an' the scholars 'n' sailors haven't run each other outta town, I imagine' they been talkin'." She looks down at her upturned hands. "Came up here lookin' for m'brother an' found m'self in the middle of a wasp nest. Got blood on m'hands. Maybe steerin' folks' fates with my choices... an' mistakes..."

"S'why I hesitate to wrap you up in all this," she continues after a pause, looking back up at Setrona. "This's your heart an' soul... your livelihood... an' we seen what happens to a place too full'a dissent." Her hands wring together as she speaks, betraying the wrestling going on inside. "But y'got a steady flow of minds and muscle congregatin' here, them displaced by the Badger an' otherwise. Folks that might be interested in doin' somethin' 'bout it, if y'get my meanin'..."

“You think I’m not wrapped up in this already?  You think I’m not lettin’ the rabble-rousers stay because I agree with ‘em?  That the Rack aren’t gonna kick that door in and invite me to the Holding House for a chat the moment my cousin gets the top spot on Thrune’s shit-list?” Setrona’s response is quicker than Kjersti might have expected.

“But, I mean..." Setrona can't find the right word for once, and exhales through her teeth. "You’re talking about recruiting people, which means you’re talking about rebellion, not just grumbling in the back of a tavern, but really taking a swing at the big man. You really thought that through, what it would take to get away with that?  Big man's got a lot of mean friends on his side. Got the devil’s church in his pocket. Got all his relatives in the ruling family.” Setrona glances at the cheap, crooked portrait of Abrogail II and snorts. “Well, she might join you, from what I’ve heard. Guess there are worse cousins to have show up for dinner than mine.”

"I mean, I support you, wherever it might go. Recruit away. Just, well, be smart about it, yeah? Knock some supports out first, poke some holes in his ego. Don't fight a straight fight. He'll win, and there'll be bits of you hanging above each gate. The Order of the Rack are stupid, hidebound bullies, but even the most pathetic armiger, the one peeling potatoes and shoveling shit out of the latrine, still spends his days training against summoned devils. To make Hellknight proper, no matter your order, you have to get in the ring one on one and kill one of those ugly spiky brutes, barbazus. The Test, they call it. How many people on your side could kill a bearded devil, do'ya think? 'Cause I sure can't."

1689204652787.png.51c3547b0b49efe591b1943df10ad377.pngKjersti Volden

Conditions

Kjersti was not expecting a response quite like that. Clearly Setrona has been bearing more of a burden than she had realized. Her cheeks color slightly with embarrassment at seeming to assume the woman was ignorant or left out of the things moving around her tavern. She was still learning what the big picture was around this city and they had only dipped their toes into one of the only places Thrune's people didn't like to go. Their strike into Aria Park was into dangerous territory... losing territory, she imagines Setrona would say. It's all so much bigger than a farmgirl from the south had known. Temperance had already tried to make her understand that.

"I'm sorry, I weren't meanin' to assume..." she starts, sitting back in the chair and holding her hands in her lap a bit like a student who has just been lectured by a professor. Of course, it's clear Setrona is warning her, not chiding or disparaging her. Kjersti looks down at her lap . "An' no... we ain't nearly ready for that. We took our licks from some dogs yesterday, much less Hellknights. We ain't ready to move on much'a anythin' yet. We just..." She pauses a moment as she is taking stock of the people they call allies. It's not much more than a few dozen. And half of those are young, or old, or only able to help in certain ways. Sure, they needed their Rexuses and their Fushi sisters, their Vendelfeks and Larias... but they needed... eyes.

"We need t'know what's goin' on, not just react a day late an' a copper short when someone sends to us for help," she finally verbalizes. "Eyes and ears... People in all sorts'a places. No torches or pitchforks, not yet. Just... help." She looks back up at the little redhead and smiles faintly. Whether she had already been involved with something like the Falcos or Laria is uncertain, but her willingness to make suggestions and give advice is invaluable. "I don' e'en know what th'Hell a bearded devil is, so there y'are, already helpin' make m'life less dead."

"Oh, I've never seen one in person. That devil business comes straight from Octavio talking about what he had to go through. His mother would never allowed him to join up if she knew the truth of it. But the signifiers, the hellknight summoners and mages, I guess they can call beasts like that to the mortal plane, so maybe grab a book about the hells and have a look, huh?"

"...Eyes. Hrm." It's Setrona's turn to be reluctant, hemming and hawing about revealing something she probably shouldn't, but Kjersti is trustworthy, in a real, true way few people are. "Yeah, I know where to find you some eyes. Doesn't come in here as much as he used to, but few blocks up, in the big market, go talk to Hetamon Haace. He's a tailor. Tiefling, you'll know him when you see him. Shop right in the middle of things. Where all these lovely lawbreaking pieces come from. I'm not the one to tell the tale, it's his, but I've seen things that are awfully hard to explain. Divine things. True and honest signs from the gods. You can trust him."

Posted (edited)

HP: 36/36 | Focus: 1/1 | Hero: 1/3 | Perception: +7
Conditions

"I... know that tailor..." Kjersti realizes as Setrona gives her the name. She runs a hand down the front of the vest she wears, measured and tailored for her by the very same when she was taken there by Temperance. "The... Devil's Threads, right?" For a moment, she wonders if maybe he has some sort of finger on the pulse because of his shop, like Setrona herself. She makes a mental note of it - just another of the many places she needed to go, people to speak with. A soft laugh escapes her nose and she smirks. "I shoulda known we see the same tailor." She looks over to the kettle, ignored thus far but likely ready for them. The glove of her gauntlet helps insulate her hand as she reaches out to take it and pour them each a steaming, pinkish, aromatic tea. It wasn't rose petals but she had never been much of a fan... if it even was what Minali decreed. She was a lay-person at best, when it came to all that. Least, it didn't feel like power flowed through her, like a cleric or priest. Not often, at least.

Setting back with her own cup, she raises it up to her nose and takes a deep breath. It was clear that Setrona had taken a big risk to share that much with her and she smiles before burning her mouth with that first sip. "Nnng.... Ouch, ha... Well... Thank you for trustin' me... again... Miss Sabinius. It means a lot... but if it be leadin' more trouble to your door, I'll leave you be. I ain't ready to let eggs be cracked for my omelette, yet. Ever, if I had a say."

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)

"If there's trouble comin' to my door, wouldn't I be safer with a big tough gal around to help handle it?" Setrona's words are playful and innocent. The gaze over the top of her teacup is not.

Much to the smaller redhead's disappointment, Kjersti and Setrona's heart to heart is suddenly interrupted by a flying guest landing on the back of one of the chairs with an inquiring hoot. Flapping wings have become much more familiar since joining the Silver Ravens, but the farmgirl turns to find that the new arrival isn't one of the revolution's metallic messengers, but a very real (and very small) owl, a handful of brown feathers with white speckles, tilting its head as it regards Kjersti with enormous yellow eyes. An elf owl, a type she recognizes from pest-catchers on the farm. They don't actually have anything to do with elves, so far as Kjersti knows. Setrona seems to know this particular owl, reaching up to give it scritches without much fear of losing a fingertip.

"Linna, what are you doing here, little thing?"

"Wait, why are you here? Hells..." After a moment, the barkeep hops upright with alarm, scanning the rest of the Tooth and Nail with speed and suspicion. "Bellis? You in here still? Sing out, or I'll make you pay your tab."

In one of the booths in the far corner of the tavern, apparently missed by everyone the first time around, sits a somewhat rumpled halfling man with weary, grey eyes, dark, disheveled hair and an impressive mustache.

Setrona's expression could kill an ox, but it softens just a bit as she gives Kjersti's arm a reassuring pat. "We're safe enough. He's one of the troublemakers, immigrant from the Badger. Lots of big words that amount to telling Thrune where he can shove it. No trouble, I don't think. Could be eyes and ears. Maybe more? Knows some stripe of magic..."

She stomps over to confront the unintentional eavesdropper, arms crossed. "So, how much did you hear, Bellis?"

Bellis Brightcandle, halfling witch - MW Sheet 

spacer.png

AC 17 | For 8 | Ref 7 | Wil 9 | Per 7 | HP 33/33 | Focus 1/1
Condition Normal | Linna HP 15/15

"And how, precisely, would you make me pay my tab if I did not 'sing out' to help you locate me? Particularly if I was not here after all, and therefore in fact could not do so?" a warm baritone voice posed rhetorically. "Setting aside the question of whether I even have a tab to settle, of course."

The halfling man scooted to the edge of the booth and hopped down to the floor. In one calloused hand he held a small mug of his own, though it was empty. The other hand was raised in exaggerated surrender to Setrona's wrathful gaze, though his raised eyebrows betrayed a laughing glint. "As for hearing anything -- other than that appalling slander labeling me a troublemaker of course -- well. I heard as much or as little as you prefer, madam. I am hardly likely to jeopardize --"

spacer.png

"Da, you should've come and got me," a new voice interrupted. A waiflike pre-teen elf entered from the back room, heel of leftover bread in-hand in the process of being devoured. They were twice the man's height (though still considerably shorter than Kjersti) and clearly did not share the blood-relation the word 'da' implied. Just as clearly, that mattered not at all as they shared a quick hug (the elfling's arm around his shoulders, his arm around their legs). "I'd've lifted my feet quicker. Didn't realize it's got so late." Mismatched eyes -- dark brown and a shocking blue -- studied the remaining company. "Begging pardon, Miss Setrona." The soft voice belied the cheeky grin as another bite of the bread-heel disappeared.

Bellis cleared his throat gently and his curious gaze flickered to Kjersti and back. "Not to misdirect the conversation, but, would you like to introduce us to your companion? Or should we be going, so that you may resume any conversation in which you may or may not have been engaged?"

OOC

n/a

Innate Abilities

Jinx - (1/day) Make your target clumsy

Phase Familiar - (Focus, rk2) Protect Linna from harm!

Conceal Spell - (1 action) Less-obvious casting

Arcane Sense - (2 actions) 1st-Rank Detect Magic

Discern Secrets - (1/turn) Jog someone's memory

Keen Eyes - (at will) Find hidden/concealed creatures

Unfettered - (at will) Escape restraints more easily

Distracting Shadows - (at will) Hide behind others

Experienced Smuggler - (at will) Hide stuff more easily

Assured Arcana - (at will) May opt to take 10 on Arcana

Spell Trickster - (at will) May opt to tweak the effects of certain spells (Telekinetic Hand, Sigil)

Prepared Spells

Level 3 prepares 5 cantrips, 3 1st-rank, and 2 2nd-rank. Plus 1 extra cantrip from Cantrip Connection with Linna

List may change every day with prep.

Spell area reference

Cantrips:

• Frostbite
  • Glass Shield
  • Gouging Claw
  • Ignition

1st-Rank:

• Force Barrage
  • Grease
  • Tailwind

2nd-Rank:

• Blazing Bolt
  • Blazing Bolt

Familiar

spacer.png

Familiar of Flowing Script - (from Patron, does not change) Linna provides distraction/flanking while Bellis casts/sustains a Hex

Flier - (species innate, does not change) Fly speed 25ft

Share Senses - (may change) Bellis can share Linna's senses

Cantrip Connection - (may change) Can prepare 1 extra cantrip

Cantrips Stored

Figment - small illusory sound or vision

Frostbite - freeze things solid

Glass Shield - weak shield harms the breaker

Gouging Claw - last resort surprise attack

Ignition - set things on fire with a snap

Light - mobile ball of light

Message - discreet communication

Needle Darts - not just for porcupines

Sigil - or tweak Tracing Sigil - tracking assist

Telekinetic Hand - or tweak Agile Hand - move things

Rank 1 Spells Stored

Air Bubble - create breathable air

Alarm - ward an area

Force Barrage - pew pew

Grease - slippery

Illusory Disguise - you're someone else now

Runic Weapon - strengthen ally's weapon

Signal Skyrocket - fireworks r us

Tailwind - moar speed

Thunderstrike - zap

Rank 2 Spells Stored

Blazing Bolt - fire rays

Learning Spells - May gain additional spells independently of the patron via various activities

Undying - If Linna dies, the patron replaces her during the next daily preparations

Equipment

Personal money -- 17gp in mixed coin

Masquerade Scarf - I'm not the one you're looking for

Everlight Crystal - portable Light spell, always on

Versatile Tinderbox - when regular flames won't do

Dagger - backup backup weapon, or for eating

Writing Set - writing is important, okay

Thieves' Toolkit - oops, forgot my key

Repair Toolkit - fix what's broke

Grappling Hook - helps climbing

Rope (50ft) - tie things up

Backpack - carry all the stuffs

Explorer Clothing - sturdy, not fancy

Basic Crafter's Book - helps making things

and the remaining basics - bedroll, flint and steel, 10 chalk, 2 weeks' rations, 5 torches, soap, waterskin

Conditions

Kjersti's cheeks start to turn rosy behind a sip of her own mug, betraying her understanding of Setrona's attentions. An attempt at a casual dismissal of her safety concerns gets caught in her throat and at least Setrona gets the satisfaction of seeing her guest start to fluster before they are both startled by the arrival of the little owl. The moment is certainly odd for being inside the Tooth and Nail, but stranger things have haunted the lowish ceiling of this place before. And recently.

When Setrona rises to confront the person she realizes has been present for the extent of their chat, Kjersti follows suit more slowly and has her jaw set for the possibility that someone might try to make use of what had been heard. Though as quickly as her teeth clamp together, a reassuring touch from the other redhead eases them and she follows Setrona's performative stomping across the room to confront the halfling that has revealed himself. And as the resident tallest person in the room, she takes a knee out of her customary respect for Smallfolk, leveling the field as much as she can when speaking to them. It puts her, amusingly, almost eye-to-eye level with their gracious host.

"Kjersti Volden," she introduces herself, extending a calloused hand to Bellis politely, then turns her bright blue gaze to Kael as they join them. "Oh... an' I know this one... K...Kai...? Kell.. Kael! Right?" She snaps a finger trying to remember. The evening she and Maria had offered their intimidating presence as bouncers, she had seen them among the servers, frantically working to keep the Nail running while being pranked by the psuedodragon. "Been any calmer since we re-homed our prankster friend? Or is havin' an Awake Setrona a bad trade?" She glances sidelong at the proprietor and smirks faintly.

But that's not what is being discussed at the moment. Propping her arm across her knee, the farmgirl takes a deep breath. "I come here this evenin' hopin' that some folks 'round here - or them's displaced from the Badger - might could be inter'sted in hitchin' up the wagon they been loadin' with complaints." There's a heartbeat where she wonders if that phrasing made sense. "The Falcos place got burned cause'a too much grumblin', yeah? An' same's comin' for this place if some tongues don't stop a'waggin'. But it might give 'em a bit'a satisfaction to do somethin' 'bout it... An' folks like me are willin' to take whatever help as might be offered. Nothin's - and no one's - too small." Letting Bellis mull that over for a second, she rocks back to sit on her heel and looks over to Setrona again.

"Cause I'll be damned if they do it to this place, too."

spacer.png

spacer.pngBellis's face took on a look of surprised amusement when Kjersti bent a knee in front of him. He cautiously accepted the tall woman's hand and gave it a firm shake. His hand fair near disappeared in hers, but in that grasp there was no mistaking that both of them were well-used to hard work. The halfling's smile warmed fractionally at the realization.

"Bellis Brightcandle, at your service, Miss Volden. And yes, this is Kael, my apprentice and ward." Kael cautiously nodded a greeting and shrugged, mouth full.

The two of them listened closely to Kjersti's proposition, Bellis's brows scrunching together briefly at the wagon metaphor as he processed. Linna fluttered over to them and settled on Kael's shoulder, the owl giving every appearance of listening as well. "I certainly agree; this place and others like it ought to be protected," he said finally. "And not only complaints and grumbles are under threat -- I can't help but think the written word will be endangered soon as well, and that I can not abide.

"It seems to me," he continued, "that you are looking for someone willing to help set some, er, judiciously-placed fires under all that smoke. If that is the case, then you have found the right person, as fire is rather a specialty of mine -- though of course I do have other talents. If you have something specific in mind, I am listening."

OOC

n/a

Innate Abilities

Spell Trickster - (at will) May opt to tweak the effects of certain spells (Telekinetic Hand, Sigil)

Prepared Spells

Level 3 prepares 5 cantrips, 3 1st-rank, and 2 2nd-rank. Plus 1 extra cantrip from Cantrip Connection with Linna

Spell area reference

Cantrips:

• Frostbite
  • Glass Shield
  • Gouging Claw
  • Ignition

1st-Rank:

• Force Barrage
  • Grease
  • Tailwind

2nd-Rank:

• Blazing Bolt
  • Blazing Bolt

Familiar

spacer.png

Familiar of Flowing Script - (from Patron, does not change) Linna provides distraction/flanking while Bellis casts/sustains a Hex

Cantrips Stored

Rank 1 Spells Stored

Alarm - ward an area

Force Barrage - pew pew

Grease - slippery

Tailwind - moar speed

Thunderstrike - zap

Rank 2 Spells Stored

Blazing Bolt - fire rays

Learning Spells - May gain additional spells independently of the patron via various activities

Undying - If Linna dies, the patron replaces her during the next daily preparations

Equipment

and the remaining basics - bedroll, flint and steel, 10 chalk, 2 weeks' rations, 5 torches, soap, waterskin

Conditions

"I cain't help but have th'same feelin'," Kjersti agrees soberly with Bellis' assessment that burning books isn't far off when folks like this are starting to clamp down on dissent. Books gave people ideas to think about, especially if they had roots in any of the groups they had run off thus far. While the Ravens' ciphers and puzzles had proven somewhat vexing, they still contained such valuable information - more of which was being tethered together each time they brought things to Rexus.

"There certainly will be a time for that, yes," she continues, a soft chuckle coming from deep in her throat at Bellis' eagerness to express his talents for immolation. "Though, seein' it's most recent use 'gainst folks, it might be a thing employed with careful consideration. Much as I'd like to burn every Thrune-suckin' bastard in the city... we're just as likely to burn half the city down in the process. An' ain't no one gonna be thrilled with that." The thought of their own terror-machine comes to mind, causing a subtle twitch in the redhead's eye. Eventually they were going to have to sort that out, as well. Before they became known for as much brutality as the ones they were trying to overthrow.

"An' I ain't expectin' to put th'young ones in danger, if we can help it. We have safe places where folks can be helpful. Though, I'm sure you're plenty capable y'self," she adds, glancing to Kael. Another arcanist and his apprentice would be invaluable for more reasons that Kjersti had imagination for. "Even if for now, y'just have your ears to the ground wherever you are, that's great. But if you want to chat further - somewheres we ain't keepin' the hardest workin' barkeeper in the city up late, a'course - I hear Laria Longroad over in Villegre makes a great cup of coffee. Y'might already know it." She glances over to Setrona. "Goes for you, too, if y'have a night off. Want to take a long walk."

spacer.png

spacer.png"Of course, thus the 'judicial placement'," Bellis nodded. "And I would not want to risk burning the very books and people we claim to protect. To be honest," and here he swallowed, looking slightly green about the gills, "while I do enjoy some carefully-targeted property destruction, I must confess I am not exactly practiced at... hurting people." Kael's hand settled on his shoulder and squeezed, though their attention seemingly remained focused on their heel of bread at the moment. Bellis's free hand moved up to cover theirs and his jaw hardened. "Though I can, and have, when the situation called for it."

He paused a moment to get his mind back on the present, not noticing Kjersti's own twitch as the conversation continued.

The halfling brightened at the mention of Villegre, but the reminder of the 'long walk' caused it to dim. He glanced up at Kael, then Setrona, then down to his hand clasped around the empty mug. "It is a tempting thought," he said at last. "And I am between employment at the moment, but--"

"Talk to them, Da," Kael urged suddenly. "Won't hurt. All those smart folks and schoolin', you love visitin' there. An' if that's where the work is, then so be't. Miss Setrona is very kind, an' I like it here, but I'm not ness... nesit... needed, so much. She said there's safe places there," they added with a tilt of the head to Kjersti, "Don't worry for my account."

Bellis chuckled and shook his head. "You're right. Let us gather information first, before we try to arrange the future." He looked to Setrona and Kjersti. "It is not as if we are leaving town."

OOC

n/a

Innate Abilities

Prepared Spells

Spell area reference

Cantrips:

• Frostbite
  • Glass Shield
  • Gouging Claw
  • Ignition

1st-Rank:

• Force Barrage
  • Grease
  • Tailwind

2nd-Rank:

• Blazing Bolt
  • Blazing Bolt

Familiar

spacer.png

Cantrips Stored

Rank 1 Spells Stored

Alarm - ward an area

Force Barrage - pew pew

Grease - slippery

Tailwind - moar speed

Thunderstrike - zap

Rank 2 Spells Stored

Blazing Bolt - fire rays

Equipment