Name | Hannibal Van Zant

spacer.png

High Concept | Mystic Muscle For Hire

Trouble | Predator Instincts

Aspect III | Avatar of the Uber Kahn

Aspect IV | Tougher Than Nails

Aspect V | International Man of Mystery

Pitch

A got on this tangent about pulp heroes and that made me think of the phantom. The guy in the purple tights who summoned the abilities of an animal to aid in his battles against injustice… so I want to do that but cooler.

Hannibal Van Zant is the epitome of adventurer. He’s a mercenary with a heart of gold who just so happens to be the living avatar of the primal embodiment of predators known as the Predator King. After a late night multi day vision quest with a modern day shaman Hannibal was met with a god.

The Predator king is this big saber tooth tiger bear man spirit thing and Hannibal uses his chi to summon the essence of the predator king and lend his actions strength beyond mortal means.

Just a Fancy Brawler that would have a set up mechanic that some of his stunts would keg off of.

Great (+4) | Physique, Fight

Good (+3) | Notice, Athletics

Fair (+2) | Craft, Chi, Provoke

Average (+1) | Burglary, Stealth, Rapport, Investigate

Stress | [1] [1] [1] [1] [1] [1]

Mild Consequence | -

Moderate Consequence | -

Severe Consequence | -

Stunts

Mighty Thews

+2 to overcome actions with physique involving acts of Herculean strength specifically lifting, pushing, and pulling.

Keen Nose

Because of your keen sensor of smell you gain +2 to Defend or Overcome with Notice when scent is the sense being used.

Totem Warrior

You can carve a spirit totem in preparation for an upcoming hunt. In combat, you can Create an Advantage with Chi to call on aspects of that animal spirit, earning an extra free invocation on successful rolls. Though vulnerable to being broken, stolen or disenchanted via Overcome actions, you can easily fashion and attune to a new totem in any scene after a battle

Queensberry Rules

Due to your training as a boxer you are an especially punishing hand to hand fighter, if you succeed with style on a fight attack roll, you can choose to inflict an additional 2 shift hit rather than take a boost.

Claws of the Kahn

When you have summoned your Totem Warrior Aspect you receive a +2 on fight attack rolls made in unarmed hand to hand combat versus awakened opponents ( anyone with a chi skill )

Extras

Chi Training

Permissions: Interact with the supernatural

Costs: Ranks in Chi skill

Hannibal Van Zant is more than normal his connection to the Uber Kahn opening his senses, girding his will, and strengthening his fists against the supernatural.

Personal Equipment & Gear
  • Nickel plated Colt 1911
  • A Tough old K-bar more of a tool than a knife
  • A very sharp folding knife
  • A small crafting oil cloth roll containing several pieces of sanctified and blessed soft wood, as well as a selection of crystals, hard woods, claws, teeth, quills, feathers, sinew, sage, willow bark, and various preserved specimens, pine tar, beeswax candles, and leather
  • A ruggedized satellite phone
  • A problem solving kit, rope, pitons, crampons, a pry bar, a block and tackle, ratchet straps, zip ties.
  • A gold cigar case, including a gold butane lighter
  • A paper map of the local area, a compass, and signal mirror
  • a laser pointer
  • trauma kit, clotting agent, alcohol wipes, bandages, cotton bandages, wadding, tourniquet.

Edited by ManicPixieFatGuy (see edit history)

Just a couple of quick notes in general:

• The Will skill doesn't exist in this game; if you're worried about mental assaults, don't be
  • If you happened to read the Game Expectations, it mentions that I have an issue with mind control, which I would classify mesmerism as a category of

We definitely can't do the brain in the jar thing, I'm afraid: as part of the heist aesthetic, it's important that your character is relatively inconspicuous and able to blend in among other humans.

I do like Jack Spade and Hannibal Van Zant, though.

If you go with Jack Spade, I'd like to see a little more character development, which you can probably achieve by answering the two special application questions in the Character Creation thread.

If you go with Hannibal, I would prefer to come up with a different name for this spirit than "Predator King" - it doesn't sound quite right to me. "Alpha King", perhaps? "Alpha Prime"? "Über Khan"? I'm just spitballing here. Also, I don't understand what Insatiable Prey Drive means, so I'd like an explanation of that.

Love your creativity, by the way. :)

Yeah dude spitballing random characters and generating images for them has become one of my favorite ADHD style past times lolol.

I just threw the skills together out of memory ( I remembered the addition of chi but not the will lol), I will adjust accordingly when I do the full profile.

I don’t know why I figured cartoon mesmerism / hypnotism wouldn’t count but I absolutely can see that it could so no argument there at all.

I assumed the brain in a jar was too much lol but I mentioned it so I figured I’d throw it out there.

Yeah absolutely Jack Spade needs a lot right now I just have a picture of a mariachi suit, domino mask, and big revolver having guy who has these flashy showman vibes. I made one of his aspects hand of glory to be metaphorical about how he can get through locks / out of tight situations but him actually having a mummified hand of glory hidden beneath his glove could be cool as well… not sure.

Now, Hannibal Van Zant is the real reason I m here I fixated on the idea of this dude for a whole day lolol. I went from a normal two fisted adventurer to a were tiger to this more avatar like version.

I intended the insatiable prey drive to be how high drive dogs act. If people act aggressively, surprise him, or run, it triggers a predatory urge in him. Like when people act like prey it makes him act like a predator. It doesn’t act logically, it’s not berserk, it’s the urge to hunt and chase, to ambush and stalk.

We could make the Predator King thing anything you’d like sir. I was just throwing out generic but cool stuff since this guy is meant for a scene. I do like the idea of Kahn or Tsar.

love to flesh him out, or either of them honestly if you’d like but if not I’ll chose here soon and flesh one of them out.

It sounds like Hannibal is your favorite, so why don't we go with that? :) Avatar of the Predator King could be changed to Avatar of the Alpha King or Spirit of the Über Khan, and in my opinion, something like Predator Instinct would make more sense than Insatiable Prey Drive.

Alright so spitballing stunts time

Goals for the mechanics

• Strong, Fast, Tough

• some sort of stunt empowering a totem summoning CAA with Chi, a bonus to creating, an extra invoke, or some other benefit to add weight to this action that is meant to be routine for the character:

• possibly the berserk stunt, it just seems to feel right here.
• boosted effectiveness with physique vs barriers / doing strong stuff

• some sort of arcane thing

• primal senses

• some sort of movement bonus / pounce

• some sort of offensive or defensive success with style effect triggering stunt to represent a two fisted strong guy fighting style

He is the tough big smiling adventurer who would have been a great famous hunter a hundred years ago but now he’s a mercenary and adventurer.

He channels the power and spiritual form of a predatory godlike entity. It gives him pulp level captain America level physicality

I think he can see or smell something weird about the supernatural?

just spitballing goals and ideas. I think I’ll drop a refresh on stunts and have 4 ( 5 if I can’t fit all the vibes in lol )

I’d love to kick around ideas but if not I’ll have a first pass up by tomorrow.

Let's see... I'll start with the simpler Stunts, then work my way up to the more complex ones.

Boosted effectiveness with Physique v.s. barriers is super easy: I really love this Stunt for things like that

Bend Bars, Lift Gates

You may spend a Fate Point to automatically overcome a Physique obstacle - even if you’ve already rolled for it - provided you’re trying to accomplish something through brute strength.

When it comes to primal senses, I think Take It All In would fit the theme quite well, though it may be difficult to actually make use of it in the scene. If that one doesn't suit your fancy, Keen Senses might have a better chance of being useful in this little game specifically.

Take It All In

Once per Scene, you may spend a Fate Point (and a few minutes of observation) to make a special Notice roll representing opening your senses to a location. For each shift you make on this roll, you discover or create an Aspect related to direct observation on the scene - though you may only Invoke one of them for free.

Keen Senses

Choose a physical sense (e.g. sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell). You gain +2 to Defend or Overcome with Notice when that sense is the primary one being used.

There aren't any example Stunts for extra movement speed, but what I usually do is come up with a compelling justification for being so fast, describing it briefly in a sentence, then finishing the Stunt with "you may move 1 additional Zone per turn" or something like that.

There are a few offensive/defensive success-with-style combat Stunts, so I'll just show you some examples.

Flesh Breaks on Iron

When you defend against a Fight attack with style, you may inflict a 2-shift hit instead of taking a Boost on your attacker.

Tiger Rends the Flesh

When you tie on an attack using Fight for defense, you can inflict a 2-shift hit instead of taking a Boost.

Serpent Bites the Hand

If you gain shifts on a defense, you can sacrifice your action next turn to immediately inflict an attack on your opponent, using the shift value of your defense as your attack result.

"Some sort of arcane thing", though... you'll have to be a little more specific, I'm afraid. Generally, the "magic" of this world is in the form of subtle, mystical arts, so if it's too flashy it will have to be limited in how many times it can be used per day. Are you looking for a ranged spell attack? A buff? Some sort of esoteric curse/boon thing? I need a little more to go off of.

And finally, a totem summoning Stunt. I think what I'll do is craft a prototype Stunt based on your description, then you can tell me what you do or do not like about it and if there are any changes you would like.

Totem Warrior

You can carve a spirit totem in preparation for an upcoming hunt. In combat, you can Create an Advantage with Chi to call on aspects of that animal spirit, earning an extra free invocation on successful rolls. Though vulnerable to being broken, stolen or disenchanted via Overcome actions, you can easily fashion and attune to a new totem in any scene after a battle.