House Rules

House Rules

spacer.png

*No Color and/or Bolded Dialogue

It is pretty standard for games on Myth-Weavers for people to pick a color and then have bold colored dialogue, and italicized colored thoughts. I ask for my games not to bold or color dialogue, nor to color thoughts (though thoughts can still be italicized). The reason for this is personal preference. Although I feel color bolded dialogue makes it easy for people to catch what's said and respond, I also feel that sometimes the non-verbal description can be overlooked when it is often as or more important than spoken words.

I have an "*" by it as this has in the past been my most controversial house rule, but I've yet to see anyone try it out and then leave the game as it doesn't take too long for players to get used to it. After all, everything else we read whether books, magazines, other websites, etc. don't use bold colored dialogue either.

Combat

This game will be a mix of theater of mind for smaller/simpler combats and use maps for larger/complex combats. When we use maps, we will use the "diagonals" optional rule where every other diagonal movement (starting with the second) will be counted as 10'. We'll also use the optional "flanking" rules for advantage. As a warning, flanking goes both ways, as some fights you'll outnumber a big monster or two, others you'll have more enemies trying to maneuver around you.

Death and Resurrection

This game will use the "Fading Spirit" house rules that are used in Critical Role. Essentially, being brought back from the dead is not a sure thing, and each time a character is brought back it becomes increasingly harder to do so. We can get into more details when/if a character dies.

Encumbrance and Gear

I will not track encumbrance and gear such as ammunition for the most part, but ask that players act within reason. A character who uses Strength as a "dump stat" shouldn't be trekking with 100 lbs. of gear, and should the group uncover some big heavy treasure chest should put a little thought into its transportation. Likewise, I won't worry too much about ammunition unless we find ourselves in some sort of prolonged series of battles where it may come into play, just encourage anyone with ammunition to occasionally buy some replacements now and then.

Experience

Milestone. Thinking on average a couple chapters per level though reserve the right to make it one chapter or three from time to time.

Initiative

Block initiative to keep combat moving faster. When it's the players' turn, they can go in any order.

Monsters

I reserve the right to change any and all monster stats in both minor and significant ways to help make combat more fresh and unique.

I may also give beings powers and abilities to monsters that do not strictly adhere to the rules for narrative reasons such as a Hag's curse being too powerful for ordinary magic to cure, and requires a more personal quest to overcome.

PvP

Player vs. player is not encouraged, but neither is it outright banned. The PCs are allowed to disagree and it can make for some memorable moments. If there is a conflict among the PCs, here are my house rules for working through it:

• Communicate: The players should be actively talking in the OOC to ensure that the PC's conflict is not shared by the players themselves.
  • Story over winning: The goal should be to tell a compelling story, not to win or be right. Players should be willing to lose the debate or conflict.
  • Almost always not combat: A roll, a test of skills, convincing the rest of the party, there is almost always a solution beyond combat. A friendly tavern brawl is perfectly fine.
  • Not to the death: Unless this is something that has been respectfully and optimistically agreed by the players, even should there be a physical conflict, it shouldn't be to the death.
  • Communicate: Also communicate with me. If you the player have a problem, I can't do anything if I'm unaware. My goal should this happen is to resolve the matter so everyone can have fun, not to choose who is right and who is wrong.

Rule of Cool

For PCs, I'm fine with the rule of cool to do bold, heroic, daring feats. I'll set the DC and relevant skill(s), usually high, and let the PC roll.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Pre-Approved Third Party Materials

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Third-Party materials I feel get a bad reputation because some of what is out there is broken and/or gimmicky. However, I feel there is also some pretty amazing stuff too. When WotC was getting really bad press for trying to strongarm third party publishers, one of the points made by opponents of the move was how some of the third party publishers actually made better stuff. I found myself agreeing.

Also, I have opened up Third Party in the past, and have found that not too many people take me up on it. I've even had cases where no one tries it out of 20+ applicants. This further leads me to the conclusion that offering Third Party doesn't open up the floodgates, is pretty manageable from a GM standpoint.

I have three third party books that I feel are professionally made. I'm perfectly good with official material. If anyone is interested in any of the below options, but don't have access to the rules, let me know and I can give you the rules rundown for them as I own the physical books:

Key: ISU = Islands of Sina Una; TR = Tal'Dorei Reborn; TO = Tales of Obojima

New Lineages

• Mixed Ancestry (TR)
  • People of the Islands (ISU): Balat-Kayo (Half-Orcs), Umalagad Dragonborn, Volcano Dwarves, Balete Elf, Gold Gnome, Mangrove Halfling, Carabao Tiefling

New Classes

• Babaylan (ISU): Intelligence-based full caster who are intermediaries between the spirit realm and mortal world. Archetypes include the Call of Clairvoyance (Divination-focused), Call of Sacrifice (Healing), and Call of Wrath (Gish).
  • Blood Hunter: (Can be found for free, legally online at D&D Beyond)
  • Headhunter (ISU): Melee class that are good at tracking and getting information on a targeted foe. Archetypes include Omen of Knowledge (Can draw on several abilities and change some each day), Omen of Strife (Extra damage and fear-based abilities), and Omen of Swiftness (1/3 caster).

New Archetypes

• Barbarian - Path of the Black River (ISU): Powers around not be impeded by conditions or obstacles
  • Barbarian - Path of the Juggernaut (TR): Move others, be immovable
  • Bard - College of Siday (ISU): Powers primarily on boosting combat for allies and self
  • Bard - College of Tragedy (TR): Benefits from misfortune
  • Cleric- Blood Domain (TR): Blood-based powers
  • Cleric - Moon Domain (TR): Moon and duality powers
  • Cleric - Volcano Domain (ISU): Fire damage along with damage and renewal
  • Druid - Circle of the Blighted (TR): Corruption-based powers
  • Druid - Circle of Tides (ISU): Extra senses and turning damage to healing
  • Fighter - Kawal (ISU): Abilities on drawing enemies near, other defensive capabilities
  • Monk - Way of the Cobalt Soul (TR): Knowledge and investigative skills
  • Monk - Way of Kaluluwa (ISU): Split the soul and body and fight with both
  • Paladin - Oath of Blood (ISU): Protect and avenge allies
  • Paladin - Oath of the Open Sea (TR): Freedom, water powers
  • Ranger - Mangangayaw (ISU): Generalist good at diplomacy, speed, protecting others
  • Rogue - Graverobber (ISU): Bringing curses onto others
  • Sorcerer - Diwata Bloodline (ISU): Spirit-based bloodline with access to some Druid spells
  • Sorcerer - Runechild (TR): Runes to boost defense and other abilities
  • Warlock - Mooneater Patron (ISU): Destructive-based powers
  • Wizard - Blood Magic (TR): Use lifeforce to augment spells
  • Wizard - Mentala (ISU): Create bamboo scrolls others can use

New Feats

ISU: Adept Conduit, Cannoneer, Headhunting Master, Oceanborne Warrior, Unrelenting Hunter

TR: Cruel, Flash Recall, Mystic Conflux, Remarkable Recovery, Spelldriver, Thrown Arms Master, Vital Sacrifice

New Backgrounds

ISU: Lorechanter, Mangangalakal, Panday, Sea Raider, Voyager, Aswang Lineage

TR: Ashari, Clasp Member, Myriad Operative, Lyceum Scholar, Reformed Cultist, Whitestone Rifle Corps

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)