The Archetypes

Essence

KRQxNL3.png

"Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly." - Epictetus

In Free League's roleplaying games, archetypes serve as pre-defined character templates or roles that players can choose from to guide their character creation process. These archetypes typically embody specific themes, traits, and roles within the game's setting, providing players with a starting point for developing their characters. Each archetype may come with its own set of abilities, skills, and background, allowing players to customize their characters while still fitting into broader narrative roles within the game world.

Your archetype says something about who you were before the outbreak. Since then you have changed… just like the undead have changed from what they were before they died. There are twelve archetypes to choose from, each with traits that says something specific about your backstory in order to gain a mechanical effect, though I encourage you to take unique spins on each archetype or even to create your own - I will most certainly empower and work with you on creating a concept that fits the character you envision and how that will work mechanically. If you do decide to create your own archetype or work on a custom character, you will also need to come up with your own Issue, Drive, and Relationships within the group with my approval. You may also edit any of the current archetypes to your liking, treating them effectively as a custom character, with my approval as well.

Note that your archetype is just a starting point and inspiration to create your own unique character. After play has started, your archetype no longer has any mechanical effect.

THE CRIMINAL

"I used to hate moaners and crybabies. In high school we’d target classmates we thought were weak. Pretending to invite them to join our crew, we stuffed them into my old Chevrolet, drove them up to the old water tower, and made them suffer for whatever petty thing was bugging us about them. Later, there were drugs; along with them came more serious beatings and fights. They called me Killer, even though I never murdered anyone. Strange as it may sound, this new world has somehow made me softer. Now I want to protect the kind of people I used to torment. They’re family, some of them. But when something threatens us, I become the Killer again."

KEY ATTRIBUTE: Strength
KEY SKILL: Close Combat
TALENTS: Threatening PostureYou can use Force instead of Manipulation when you threaten someone.

*Prerequisite*: You ruined someone’s life.
, FixerYou gain +2 to Manipulation when you haggle for a deal.

*Prerequisite*: You scored big on a negotiation.
, Fights DirtyWhen you fight unarmed, you do +1 damage.

*Prerequisite*: You killed someone with your bare hands.

Choose among the suggestions below or make one up yourself.

ISSUE

• I never obey authority
  • Drug addict
  • Ashamed of my past

DRIVE

• Nobody takes a swing at me and gets away with it
  • Hate
  • I will find my sisters

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Big revolver
  2. Axe
  3. Lockpick
  4. Motorbike
  5. Shotgun
  6. Stash of drugs and medicine

RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER CHARACTERS

• Sibling
  • Annoying but useful
  • I’m on to you

THE MEDIC

"New diseases always hit the medical staff the hardest. I was right in the middle of it, in the ER at Denver's busiest hospital, when people started to turn. I lost so many. Mary, my wife Elizabeth, Chris, and Elaine. I don’t know a single person who got out of there, except me. Before I ran, I examined one of them, a girl who was strapped to a bed before she died. This is no ordinary sickness. Maybe it really is the end of days, in a biblical sense? My theory is as good as anyone’s."

KEY ATTRIBUTE: Empathy
KEY SKILL: Medicine
TALENTS: Emergency MedicineGain +2 to Medicine when you stabilize a critical injury that needs basic medical gear.

*Prerequisite*: You used to work in an Emergency Room.
, Doctor/Patient HierarchyWhen you use Manipulation against someone who is injured, you get a bonus equal to the number of Health Points they have taken in damage.

*Prerequisite*: You somehow used one of your patients for your own benefit.
, Seen It AllYou do not take stress from seeing someone get wounded, tormented, or even Broken.

*Prerequisite*: You tried to save your injured friend.

ISSUE

• Bitter
  • Sworn to help
  • Unanswered love

DRIVE

• Fear of dying
  • Higher purpose
  • I will find my wife

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Basic medical gear
  2. Medications and drugs
  3. Spear (Scalpel taped to a stick)
  4. Car
  5. Diary
  6. Pistol

• I trust you.
  • You are not like us.
  • I want to get to know you better.

THE OUTDOORSMAN

"They say cattle are dumb, but it’s people who are really stupid. We all knew something was going to hit us, sooner or later: a terrorist attack, global warming, or whatever. Still, no one prepared enough. I’ve met people who didn’t know how to light a fire or skin a rabbit. None of them are alive anymore. When it all started, me and my wife and our kids went down into the basement, as planned. We had supplies enough for us and twenty more that would last for months. A group of assholes blew up the basement door and managed to break in. I offered them a chance to join us. Instead, they killed my family. But the explosion and the gunshots attracted hundreds of stinkers. The house was overrun; the thieves joined the dead. I had to leave the supplies behind and run for my life."

KEY SKILL: Force
TALENTS: TrackerGain +2 on Survival when you either track someone or try to hide your own tracks.

*Prerequisite*: You tracked someone or something.
, Tough As NailsGain +2 to Endure when you starve or work hard.

*Prerequisite*: You had to push yourself beyond your own limits.
, Living Off The LandGain +2 to Tech when you work on projects that increase Capacity for your haven.

*Prerequisite*: You made a living off the land.

ISSUE

• Rage
  • Sick
  • Dogmatist

DRIVE

• I do what is right
  • Never give up
  • Jesus walks with me

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Shotgun
  2. Axe
  3. Jeep
  4. Toolbox
  5. Tent
  6. Survival equipment

• You are hiding something
  • We are different, but I like you
  • You are family

THE SUBDUED

"I am a living cliché. Or I was. Brandon wanted me to stay in the house. At first, I thought it was because he couldn’t trust anyone to resist me, being the prom queen and everything. But when the kids came and all I’d done for years was cook food, clean, and wash clothes, I realized he thought he owned me. He beat me, but he told himself he didn’t. When the world fell apart, he just disappeared and abandoned me. Maybe he’s still out there. I wonder if he would recognize me. I’ve learned to shoot a gun. I know how to kill with a knife or with my hands. Sometimes I even like it. Not that much of a cliché anymore, right?"

KEY SKILL: Endure
TALENTS: Innocent FaceYou get +2 on Manipulation when you act innocent in front of a stranger.

*Prerequisite*: You made someone believe you were weak.
, Back Against the WallWhen you fight against all odds and the enemies seem to be winning, you do +1 damage on all attacks.

*Prerequisite*: You fought back.
, Rather Die Than BreakOnce per session, after rolling for a skill, you can choose to lose one point of Health to get one (extra) success on that skill roll. You need to be able to explain, in the game, how you are damaged in the situation.

*Prerequisite*: You sacrificed yourself for a higher purpose.

ISSUE

• Bloodthirsty
  • Alcoholic
  • Craves attention and love

DRIVE

• Sworn to never be a victim again
  • Has endured hell
  • Won’t give up my dream

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Shovel
  2. Bow and arrows
  3. Bag with medical herbs
  4. Painkillers
  5. Tent
  6. Car

• Makes me smile
  • We pretend to like each other
  • Sister

THE JUVENILE

"You would think that people like me, who’ve lived most of our lives in this hell and hardly remember the days before, would’ve come out seriously damaged, or at least weird. That is simply not the case, in my experience. I’d trust another wasteland baby ten times over an adult from another group trying to get close to me. Maybe it was the shock when their whole world fell apart that did it to them. I don’t really care. We’ll be the ones to build something new. I keep the grown-ups I trust close: mum, dad, and my older brother. The others scare me more than the dead."

KEY ATTRIBUTE: Agility
KEY SKILL: Mobility
TALENTS: Knife FighterYou inflict +1 damage when you fight with a bladed weapon.

*Prerequisite*: You stabbed someone.
, StubbornYour Drive gives you a +3 bonus instead of +2.

*Prerequisite*: You didn’t give up.
, A Child of This WorldYou do not take Stress when you see someone get infected.

*Prerequisite*: Someone you loved was bitten.

ISSUE

• Afraid of the dark
  • People treat me like a child
  • Won’t let anyone come close

DRIVE

• My father thinks that I am strong
  • Kids will grow up to rule this world
  • I will protect my friends

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Pistol with homemade silencer
  2. Spear
  3. American football gear (Armor Value 4)
  4. Scooter
  5. D6 Molotov cocktails
  6. Dog

• Parent
  • I am watching you
  • Idol

THE ENFORCER

"There is so much baggage that comes with the job: how people treat you, what they think of you, what everyone supposes you believe in, and think is right, and all those eyes looking at you expectantly whenever there’s a crisis. You forget who you really are. At the start of this new world, I kept playing my part, doing right, trying to lead others to safety. After I was ambushed by a group I’d just saved from a herd of biters, I somehow finally realized that this job could get me killed. I still wear the hat and badge; it gives me an edge. But let’s just say I’ve now come to believe in a less equal application of the law."

KEY ATTRIBUTE: Wits
KEY SKILL: Scout
TALENTS: Steady HandsOnce every session you may choose to not roll any stress dice on one skill roll.

*Prerequisite*: You kept it together despite extreme pressure.
, WatchfulYou may use Scout to learn the dynamics in a group of people, and the opportunities and risks therein. You need to spend some time with them. In this way, you may learn of both regular Issues and secret Issues.

*Prerequisite*: You foresaw the danger.
, Moral CompassWhen you put yourself in danger to stand up for what’s right, you relieve one point of stress.

*Prerequisite*: You did what you had to do.

ISSUE

• Does not trust strangers
  • Depressed
  • I take risks to protect my child

DRIVE

• Does what it takes
  • I am the law
  • We will build a new world

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Riot gear (Armor Level 6)
  2. Revolver
  3. Shotgun
  4. Axe
  5. Assault rifle
  6. Badge of office

• I protect you
  • I trust you
  • You are a puzzle

THE NOBODY

"The last time I spoke with my mother, she kept mixing me up with my brother, and it’s not like she was even senile or anything. She couldn’t recall the name of my first girlfriend or who my friends were at school. It hurt at the time, but now I get it – some days, even I don’t remember those things. My life had been a haze of average grades, boring weekends, mediocre sports results, and uninspired dreams. It’s hard to make others understand how different my situation is now from back then. For me, the biggest change is not the bombed-out landscape and the walking dead, but how it is between me and the people around me. They see me as important. They confide in me. They depend on me to find food for them. I guess that’s why I take stupid risks: I have people worth doing it for."

KEY SKILL: Stealth
TALENTS: Speed FreakGain +2 when you use Mobility to drive a vehicle.

*Prerequisite*: You won a race.
, WallflowerYou do not have to choose a single NPC as your NPC Anchor. Instead, the whole group is your Anchor. You do not have to handle your fear if any of them die, so long as at least one of them is left standing.

*Prerequisite*: You were part of a group, without any of them really noticing you.
, GathererYou get +2 to Stealth when you are on your own.

*Prerequisite*: You brought back food that kept others alive.

ISSUE

• Afraid to speak my mind
  • I do not care if I live
  • Kleptomaniac

DRIVE

• I cannot be killed
  • This is my chance
  • Love

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Pizza delivery car
  2. Machete
  3. Frying pan
  4. Binoculars
  5. Sleeping bag
  6. Fishing rod

• I do what you say
  • Secretly I love you
  • I will show you

THE OUTCAST

"Who could have guessed that living on the streets for ten years would ever be a more marketable experience than a college degree? I know how to become invisible. Where you can hide, sleep, and stay unseen, day or night. What’s unsafe to eat and drink – hell, how to make just about anything edible. How to start fires and keep them burning without being seen from a distance. My years of wandering gave me skin like iron and the ability to read a man at twenty paces. These gifts have kept me alive more times than I can count – even if I still haven’t forgiven those who put me outside in the first place."

KEY SKILL: Survival
TALENTS: Knows All the TricksYou can use Stealth instead of Manipulation when you lie..

*Prerequisite*: You fooled someone who tried to dominate you.
, ScavengerWhen you scavenge and roll Survival, you get +2 rations for each extra success instead of +1.

*Prerequisite*: You survived on nothing.
, Lone WolfYou can have yourself as one of your two Anchors.

*Prerequisite*: You were betrayed by someone you trusted.

ISSUE

• Alcoholic
  • People do not like me
  • Odd behavior

DRIVE

• I am a survivor
  • This is my new family
  • Craves revenge

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. D6 Molotov cocktails
  2. Pistol
  3. Spear
  4. Handcuffs
  5. Armor of cloth and old newspapers (level 4)
  6. D6 bottles of moonshine

• You are the alpha
  • I trust you with my life
  • Bully

THE POLITICIAN

"The shiny white smile of a politician always made some people suspicious, just as the bright colors of a poisonous insect warn of potential danger. The same gene screaming at you when I extend my hand for an uncannily firm shake made us run away from tigers when we were naked, dirty, and lived in caves. Now that the world has fallen apart, I do not mind admitting that sometimes being a politician is the same as being a mob leader or a warlord. It takes a certain type of person. I am one of the tigers. I do not shoot with my own gun, and it won’t be me who hacks your body to pieces and hangs it in the trees to scare off your friends. Others will do that for me."

KEY SKILL: Manipulation
TALENTS: RecruiterYou can use Leadership instead of Manipulation when you speak for your cause.

*Prerequisite*: You won someone over to your side.
, Mind GamesYou relieve one stress when you successfully Manipulate someone.

*Prerequisite*: You broke your opponent in a debate.
, Right Word at the Right TimeWhen you succeed with Leadership, you get an automatic extra success.

*Prerequisite*: You had them in the palm of your hand.

ISSUE

• I never apologize
  • Terrified of the walking dead
  • I promise more than I can deliver

DRIVE

• I will lead them
  • My ancestors fought hard
  • This is a new beginning

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Assault rifle
  2. Bottle of champagne
  3. Bulletproof limousine (+2 Armor)
  4. Hand crank radio
  5. Notes for a book about this new era
  6. Two knives

• My bodyguard
  • Rival
  • Odd friendship

THE PREACHER

"People will believe in all sorts of silly things: stones, energy fields, or spirits jumping from body to body. We even met a group who worshiped walkers. They had a bunch of them holed up in an old boxing gym. A fellow man of the cloth (though what deity may have anointed him I cannot say) stood in the ring and threw flower petals at the corpses below, their arms stretched out for communion. I guess it should make me humble, as it suggests that any belief is as good as the next. But I am not. There is only one God and one true church. Soon, the day of reckoning will be upon us. I will lead my flock to the gate of Heaven."

KEY SKILL: Leadership
TALENTS: ShepherdAnyone can use you as an Anchor when they need to relieve stress, even if you are not their Anchor.

*Prerequisite*: You tended to your flock.
, Guarded by a Higher PowerWhen you roll a random die to see if you are hit or bitten, you may re-roll once.

*Prerequisite*: You were saved against all odds.
, PreacherGain +2 to Leadership when trying to sway a group of people.

*Prerequisite*: They followed you.

ISSUE

• Afraid of conflict
  • Delusional
  • Selfish

DRIVE

• I walk with the Lord
  • Make amends
  • These are the final days

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Bible
  2. Homemade spear
  3. Guitar
  4. Scooter
  5. Iron cross
  6. Wine and altar bread

• I secretly hate you
  • Curious
  • Infatuated

THE SCIENTIST

"Of all the things I have studied and all the things I know, people respect me most for my moonshine still – a rudimentary device I could’ve constructed for a sixth grade science fair. I see their point: Who cares about quantum mechanics when the dead try to eat you and the living want to kill you? But they do need me, not just for the booze. I built these people a water collector, a system for communicating when they’re on supply runs, and a sterile room to treat their wounds. I’m always one step ahead of them, not because of the heights I reached in my now-arcane area of research, no! You see, before all that, I took a freshman course in psychology."

KEY SKILL: Tech
TALENTS: IntuitionOnce per game session, you can ask the GM about how things in the game world work and are related, to get some useful information or suggestions on how to proceed.

*Prerequisite*: You tackled an impossible Challenge.
, Techno-BabblerYou can use Tech instead of Manipulation when you discuss complex matters.

*Prerequisite*: You used science to get what you wanted.
, HandyWith a little time and some tools, you can repair most things – even if you don’t have the right parts. You also get +2 to Tech when you repair things as a project.

*Prerequisite*: Someone taught you to repair and build things.

ISSUE

• Hateful
  • Understands the world with logic, not emotions
  • Morally flexible

DRIVE

• I will save us all
  • Fear of dying
  • There is always a chance

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Sledgehammer
  2. Pistol
  3. Flashlight
  4. Tent
  5. Portable stove with gas and lighter
  6. Basic medical gear

• I see what you really are
  • My friend
  • I am curious about you

THE SOLDIER

"We were told that, when it gets bad, nothing matters more than keeping disciplined and sticking together. They said we were the best trained soldiers in the world. Even so, at the start of all this, most of my brothers and sisters in arms either turned tail or turned into monsters. Had to shoot my best friend to keep him away from a little girl, no older than my kid sister! I have dropped so many bodies, but I am no murderer. To me, there are three types out there: the walking dead, the living monsters, and human beings. Only one of them deserves to stay on its feet."

KEY SKILL: Ranged Combat
TALENTS: DisillusionedYou do not take stress from seeing others commit brutal acts of violence, or when committing them yourself.

*Prerequisite*: You saw great suffering.
, Eye on the BallRelieve one Stress every time a threat or an enemy is defeated or overcome.

*Prerequisite*: You did what had to be done.
, Suppressive FireYou can attack up to three enemies with the same attack when you use Ranged Combat, but they all take one less point of damage and you can’t add damage from extra successes.

*Prerequisite*: You were trained to be a soldier.

ISSUE

• I won’t kill another human being
  • I know what is best
  • I protect the weak

DRIVE

• I saw my friend get eaten
  • I will find a way to solve this
  • Discipline

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Assault riflfle
  2. Bayonet