Edit History

16 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Just, ah, mentioning that thri-kreen telepathy is one-way communication, I think. Unless someone speaks to him, or has their own way of transmitting telepathic messages, Steve can’t hear anyone else’s thoughts. He would be speaking common, but, well, he can’t speak.

@JubalBreakbottle

Yahs seems to place picked up the conversation thread instead, so I'm happy to assume Celsior said nothing out loud

Thri-keen telepathy 

Without the assistance of magic, you can’t speak the non-thri-kreen languages you know. Instead you use telepathy to convey your thoughts. You have the magical ability to transmit your thoughts mentally to willing creatures within 120 feet of yourself. A contacted creature doesn’t need to share a language with you to understand your thoughts, but it must be able to understand at least one language. Your telepathic link to a creature is broken if you and the creature move more than 120 feet apart, if either of you is incapacitated, or if either of you mentally breaks the contact (no action required).

Telepathic feat

You can speak telepathically to any creature you can see within 60 feet of you. Your telepathic utterances are in a language you know, and the creature understands you only if it knows that language. Your communication doesn't give the creature the ability to respond to you telepathically.

Aberrant Sourcerer

Starting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

Hmm - pretty ambiguous I'd say. There's equivalent features that call out specifically one way and specifically two way communication , so not clear which is the default. GOO Warlock doesn't say either way. Transmit your thoughts to me implies one way I'd say

16 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Just, ah, mentioning that thri-kreen telepathy is one-way communication, I think. Unless someone speaks to him, or has their own way of transmitting telepathic messages, Steve can’t hear anyone else’s thoughts. He would be speaking common, but, well, he can’t speak.

@JubalBreakbottle

Yahs seems to place picked up the conversation thread instead, so I'm happy to assume Celsior said nothing out loud