First Epoch: OOC discussion

Anthr4xus

I wasn't too certain about this, but I think I want to bring it up again.

I've been thinking about souls. Our gods start with minds and bodies, but do our gods start with souls themselves?

Can a living thing be alive and have will and personality without a soul? If yes, what is a soul and what does a soul even do?

My general line of thinking is that the create sentient life and greater actions should come with souls prepackaged in. Yes, we didn't state that souls were made as part of the details for most of our races, but we also don't always include how many eyes or ears or other features, or what their senses are. In fact, most of us don't have a lot of details and just leave a lot to be assumed. I assumed that souls were part of the packaged deal. What do the rest of you think?

Edited by The Stranger (see edit history)

@Kunakic, yeah, go right ahead.

As to the souls question, I don't have strong objections and agree with many of @The Stranger's points on not being fully detailed in the descriptions of our races. However, to maintain the precedent of it needing to be described to Be, I would say that unless a Mythic Concept is established that all Sapient life has souls, whether any given race has a soul is the creator's call either at the point of creation, or the point where it becomes relevant and clearly stated in the narrative.

It is worthwhile defining exactly what a soul does and is for.  In my definition I would say it is a non-corporeal manifestation of the intelligence existing past the point of physical death, but Veshwoon isn't one likely to create souls so it's not really my definition to make. 

1 hour ago, Anthr4xus said:

In my definition I would say it is a non-corporeal manifestation of the intelligence existing past the point of physical death, but Veshwoon isn't one likely to create souls so it's not really my definition to make. 

That's an interesting definition, but I would say it's incomplete. That implies that we only have souls after the point of physical death.

Possibly even implying that what we call the mind is our soul during life. What a mind and soul are, do feel very similar at times.

I suppose if we are reinventing the universe, we don't need a complete analog for what we call souls in our reality.

The reason I bring it up now, is because we have a god who is dealing with death and souls. So, it is becoming relevant.

The main problem with a mythic concept is that you need to be at least a mythic race to use it, or part of an organization.

I guess maybe... So, you have to be part of a religion to have soul, otherwise you can't make use of the soul mythic concept. Maybe, that's how it's meant to be?

Edited by The Stranger (see edit history)

On 11/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, Anthr4xus said:

Create Mythical Concept (4AP): Mythical Concepts are fantastical ideas and elements that provide incredible resources and capabilities to the Sapient beings that utilize them. Mythical Concepts represent the various extraordinary arts and techniques that can be performed by Sapient beings, from systems of magic to powerful technologies. Sorcery, Alchemy, True-Naming, Magitech, and Mythril Forging are all examples of Mythical Concepts.

I don't see where it says you have to be mythic to use a mythic concept. Alchemy is considered a mythic concept and is likely used ailments and keep infections at bay something all sapient life sort of needs, so creating a concept for souls should be usable by all sapients, not just mythic beings..

Edited by Kunakic (see edit history)

Just now, Kunakic said:

I don't see where it says you have to be mythic to use a mythic concept. Alchemy is considered a mythic concept and is likely to use ailments and keep infections at bay, so creating a concept for souls should be usable by all sapients, not just mythic beings..

In the create society description, it mentions that "mortals" must be part of an organization to make use of mythic concepts.

Maybe, you... have a soul but unless you are part of a recognized religion, you aren't making much use of it? I don't like the sound of that, but maybe that's how the system is intended to have it?

Says non-heroic mortals, so while everyone has a soul with a mythic concept, could very well mean only heroes, or rather villains in this case, who can actual use souls for things like fuelling magic, raising the dead, and the like.

As there is an option to specify that a creation is not part of the Web of Life if it is created to be outside of that (such as the Godkin) for creations that were made after that Concept was created, there should also be an option for a creation to opt out of have a soul once the Concept of souls is created, and creations made before the concept should be assumed to not have one unless a later modification gives them one (which could be the concept creation action itself).

Well, I specifically created the Source Energy mythic concept to replace or supersede the web of life mythic concept as well as the breathable atmosphere concept, though I don't think I ever remembered to state that. Though, as soon as a godkin kills, they could be considered a part of the web of life and eventually one of them will disobey Iam.

Furthermore, without access to Source Energy, I think that the godkin would need to breathe and eat. 

But I am fine with concepts being optional. It's not like I expect everyone to utilize Source Energy even though I made it available to everyone.