Edit History

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

Deleting since I didn't write this and don't want it attributed to me.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

Hmm, that seems a wasted potential when you could have just stuck with software that still used bbCode to do pretty much the same thing.  HTML/CSS is more of a pain in the tuchus to use if you can't really take advantage of the fun stuff due to largely unwarranted security fears.  Watch out for those shadows, gradients, and rounded corners!  Why one can unleash the most unstoppable virus of all time with that!  And, clearly, [color=darkred][b]Hello world![/b][/color] is impossibly complicated to use, understand, and control on your end.  <p><span style="color: #800000;"><strong>Hello world!</strong></span></p> with a bunch of not-entirely-unnecessarily random carriage returns and tabs thrown in for fun is where it's really at.  Especially when there's editors that can make either of them just as easy to use for people not interested in doing it all manually.

Sorry, a little more snark than I intended to use worked itself into my reply there.  What I'm trying to say is that sure, there's some HTML/CSS that's extremely troublesome, especially things like script, link, expression, -moz-binding, and so on, but the vast majority of CSS in particularly is harmless.  

That said, no one--myself included--is suggesting to open everything up, but instead to only allow a handful of options that would actually be useful for a forum dedicated to roleplaying games.  You know, so you can add a little flair to posts, making them more fun to read and add atmosphere to the games.  I mean, how boring would a tabletop game be if you only had a white piece of paper and some pencils to work with when, just over on the shelf there, there's a whole collection of art supplies available and a GM who's an art major?

I'm just offering something to consider there.  Extreme levels of paranoia is unattractive whenever it rears its head.  It's my understanding that we'd never have gotten floating images and text available on the old site if it were otherwise, and look at what a cesspool of security issues including that resulted in.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

Hmm, that seems a wasted potential when you could have just stuck with software that still used bbCode to do pretty much the same thing.  HTML/CSS is more of a pain in the tuchus to use if you can't really take advantage of the fun stuff due to largely unwarranted security fears.  Watch out for those shadows, gradients, and rounded corners!  Why one can unleash the most unstoppable virus of all time with that!  And, clearly, [color=darkred][b]Hello world![/b][/color] is impossibly complicated to use, understand, and control on your end.  <p><span style="color: #800000;"><strong>Hello world!</strong></span></p> with a bunch of not-entirely-unnecessarily random carriage returns and tabs thrown in for fun is where it's really at.  Especially when there's editors that can make either of them just as easy to use for people not interested in doing it all manually.

Sorry, a little more snark than I intended to use worked itself into my reply there.  What I'm trying to say is that sure, there's some HTML/CSS that's extremely troublesome, especially things like script, link, expression, -moz-binding, and so on, but the vast majority of CSS in particularly is harmless.  

That said, no one--myself included--is suggesting to open everything up, but instead to only allow a handful of options that would actually be useful for a forum dedicated to roleplaying games.  You know, so you can add a little flair to posts, making them more fun to read and add atmosphere to the games.  I mean, how boring would a tabletop game be if you only had a white piece of paper and some pencils to work with when, just over on the shelf there, there's a whole collection of art supplies available.

I'm just offering something to consider there.  Extreme levels of paranoia is unattractive whenever it rears its head.  It's my understanding that we'd never have gotten floating images and text available on the old site if it were otherwise, and look at what a cesspool of security issues including that resulted in.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

Hmm, that seems a wasted potential when you could have just stuck with software that still used bbCode to do pretty much the same thing.  HTML/CSS is more of a pain in the tuchus to use if you can't really take advantage of the fun stuff due to largely unwarranted security fears.  Watch out for those shadows, gradients, and rounded corners!  Why one can unleash the most unstoppable virus of all time with that!  And, clearly, [color=darkred][b]Hello world![/b][/color] is impossibly complicated to use, understand, and control on your end.  <p><span style="color: #800000;"><strong>Hello world!</strong></span></p> with a bunch of not-entirely-unnecessarily random carriage returns and tabs thrown in for fun is where it's really at.  Especially when there's editors that can make either of them just as easy to use for people not interested in finer control.

That said, no one--myself included--is suggesting to open everything up, but instead to only allow a handful of options that would actually be useful for a forum dedicated to roleplaying games.  You know, so you can add a little flair to posts, making them more fun to read and add atmosphere to the games.  I mean, how boring would a tabletop game be if you only had a white piece of paper and some pencils to work with when, just over on the shelf there, there's a whole collection of art supplies available.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

Hmm, that seems a wasted potential when you could have just stuck with software that still used bbCode to do pretty much the same thing.  HTML/CSS is more of a pain in the tuchus to use if you can't really take advantage of the fun stuff due to largely unwarranted security fears.  Watch out for those shadows, gradients, and rounded corners!  Why one can unleash the most unstoppable virus of all time with that!  And, clearly, [color=darkred][b]Hello world![/b][/color] is impossibly complicated to use, understand, and control on your end.  <p><span style="color: #800000;"><strong>Hello world!</strong></span></p> with a bunch of not-entirely-unnecessarily random carriage returns and tabs thrown in for fun is where it's really at.  Especially when there's editors that can make either of them just as easy to use for people not interested in finer control.

I'm just offering something to consider there.  Extreme levels of paranoia is unattractive whenever it rears its head.  We'd never have floating images and text available on the old site if it otherwise, and look at what a cesspool of security issues including that resulted in.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch