Edit History

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

So, mobile friendliness only for some mobile devices, so if it only breaks in some browsers people are still using and makes the site pretty much useless when it does, sucks to be them?  Considering that appears to be the main selling point for the new forum based on various posts, that seems a strange take to have on the subject.

That said, why is there this continued preference for an overcomplicated fix for what appears to be a non-existent problem that cripples more than it helps?  Especially when there are more elegant solutions  Like, exactly what problem is that code supposed to be fixing?  Because if you're going through all of that only to make sure the height of an image doesn't get out of control (and it only would if someone really really wanted to do it, which they easily could through other means as I tested out), that's a really weird way to handle it whether you like javascript or not.  I mean, what's stopping someone from just creating an image that's like 100px by 10,000,000px and posting that?

Oh, and for the record, I often used the old site with javascript disabled as it was required on my work PC, and it worked fine; just a few minor bugs (the only ones I ever noticed being the icon at the bottom of the main page next to the list of online users and stuff that someone wanted to hide rather than remove like whatever the search bar at the bottom of the listing of a threadgroup was supposed to be for, the latter of which one can't blame them for given the mess the code is in).  It certainly never had any impact on anything noteworthy that I've seen, especially as far as posts go. 

And after having just tested it here, though, I don't see anything that's really amiss either.  Which makes me doubly wonder what the point is of the convoluted img stuff is as the only thing that I can see is happening with it off is that its taking a second for images to pop up as you scroll down, presumably because the addon is scrubbing out the code on the fly.  Worse still, that means that whatever it's doing, it's including something that's intentionally breaking images in Safari (hint: it's the data-src switcheroo with the transparent pixel) since the images are all still showing up fine with javascript disabled.

I mean, even just using the original image's url in place of the transparent pixel would solve most of the problem if you really, really, absolutely, positively need to have that javascript there for its more Mysterious Reasons™.  It's getting resized either way, so I'm not sure why that's there to begin with.

Oh, and again, I apologize if I come across somewhat confrontational or mean-spirited, which I know happens a lot. I'm on the spectrum and have trouble with social interaction, online and off.  I have a very difficult time telling when I am and when I'm not.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

So, mobile friendliness only for some mobile devices, so if it only breaks in some browsers people are still using and makes the site pretty much useless when it does, sucks to be them?  Considering that appears to be the main selling point for the new forum based on various posts, that seems a strange take to have on the subject.

That said, why is there this continued preference for an overcomplicated fix for what appears to be a non-existent problem that cripples more than it helps?  Especially when there are more elegant solutions  Like, exactly what problem is that code supposed to be fixing?  Because if you're going through all of that only to make sure the height of an image doesn't get out of control (and it only would if someone really really wanted to do it, which they easily could through other means as I tested out), that's a really weird way to handle it whether you like javascript or not.  I mean, what's stopping someone from just creating an image that's like 100px by 10,000,000px and posting that?

Oh, and for the record, I often used the old site with javascript disabled as it was required on my work PC, and it worked fine; just a few minor bugs (the only ones I ever noticed being the icon at the bottom of the main page next to the list of online users and stuff that someone wanted to hide rather than remove like whatever the search bar at the bottom of the listing of a threadgroup was supposed to be for, the latter of which one can't blame them for given the mess the code is in).  It certainly never had any impact on anything noteworthy that I've seen, especially as far as posts go. 

And after having just tested it here, though, I don't see anything that's really amiss either.  Which makes me doubly wonder what the point is of the convoluted img stuff is as the only thing that I can see is happening with it off is that its taking a second for images to pop up as you scroll down, presumably because the addon is scrubbing out the code on the fly.  Worse still, that means that whatever it's doing, it's including something that's intentionally breaking images in Safari (hint: it's the data-src switcheroo with the transparent pixel) since the images are all still showing up fine with javascript disabled.

I mean, even just using the original image's url in place of the transparent pixel would solve most of the problem if you really, really, absolutely, positively need to have that javascript there for its more Mysterious Reasons™.  It's getting resized either way, so I'm not sure why that's there to begin with.

Oh, and again, I apologize if I come across somewhat confrontational or mean-spirited, which I know happens a lot. I'm on the spectrum and have trouble with social interaction, online and off.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

That said, why is there this continued preference for an overcomplicated fix for what appears to be a non-existent problem that cripples more than it helps?  Especially when there are more elegant solutions  Like, exactly what problem is that code supposed to be fixing?  Because if you're going through all of that that only to make sure the height of an image doesn't get out of control (and it only would if someone really really wanted to do it, which they easily could through other means as I tested out), that's a really weird way to handle it whether you like javascript or not.  I mean, what's stopping someone from just creating an image that's like 100px by 10,000,000px and posting that?

Oh, and again, I apologize if I come across somewhat confrontational or mean-spirited, which I know happens a lot. I'm on the spectrum and have trouble with social interaction, online and off.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

That said, why is there this continued preference for an overcomplicated fix for what appears to be a non-existent problem that cripples more than it helps?  Especially when there are more elegant solutions  Like, exactly what problem is that code supposed to be fixing?  Because if you're going through all of that that only to make sure the height of an image doesn't get out of control (and it only would if someone really really wanted to do it, which they easily could through other means as I tested out), that's a really weird way to handle it whether you like javascript or not.  I mean, what's stopping someone form just creating an image that's like 100px by 10,000,000px and posting that?  (I haven't tried it to see if it works, but I'd be surprised if it did.)  It's only going to get worse in the future relying on "fixes" like this, to the point it'll be a PITA to sort through ala all those problems you guys have with the old site's code.

Old Scratch

Old Scratch

That said, why is there this continued preference for an overcomplicated fix for what appears to be a non-existent problem that cripples more than it helps?  Especially when there are more elegant solutions  Like, exactly what problem is that code supposed to be fixing?  Because if you're going through all of that that only to make sure the height of an image doesn't get out of control (and it only would if someone really really wanted to do it, which they easily could through other means as I tested out), that's a really weird way to handle it whether you like javascript or not.  I mean, what's stopping someone form just creating an image that's like 100px by 10,000,000px and posting that?  (I haven't tried it to see if it works, but I'd be surprised if it did.)  It's only going to get worse in the future relying on "fixes" like this, to the point it'll be a PITA to sort through ala all those problems you guys have with the old site's code.