Edit History

Eternal

Eternal

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

• What is Verse's Heroic Drive? Does being a hero give him a rush, or does he dream of living a normal life when everything is done? Does being a hero give him a rush, or does he dream of living a normal life when everything is done?

Despite having an expiration date, Verse loves being a hero. It's nice to know that he can make a real difference in the city, rather than spend his life taking orders from adults and Beaks. Right now, he's more concerned with helping others because it distracts him from the reality of his situation. He may be doomed, but he doesn't have to spend his life in doom and gloom, if he can help it.

Besides, Verse has three pillars of support: the team, Gray, and the fact that he only has one doomsign so far. He falls apart when he's alone, or when he can't escape / distract himself from his impending responsibilities.

As for returning to normal: I think Calvin realizes that this is likely the only way for him to survive, if it's even possible. Given no other choice, he would sacrifice his powers in the end. Whether or not he would be able to live with himself after being de-powered is another story. When all of his supernatural strength is gone, that's when he'd get melancholic. That's when he'd start to question whether or not he, as Calvin, will ever amount to anything more than a normal guy in a 9 to 5 job.

• How does Earworm play into Verse's life? What made him decide to stop trusting Earworm? Does he have a plan to defeat it? What can Earworm do to threaten him before their destined confrontation?

Earworm is the literal voice inside Verse's head. It's always there. It makes him and breaks him, temping him with dangerously awesome power at the cost of his doom. It offers skewed commentary and advice about himself and the world around him. It's part evil genie, part conscience, and part jinchuriki from Naruto, threatening to take him over at any given moment. Right now, all Earworm can do is talk to Verse, but as the game progresses, it gains more control over his body.

Verse's current plan to defeat is to distract himself with noise and try his best not to listen. This is very difficult because it's like having a record on repeat. Even when Earworm isn't communicating with Verse directly, that same old song is stuck in his head. Once he sings the whole song out loud, the binding is undone. Earworm is free. Otherwise, he's heavily banking on Gray to help him find a sustainable solution.

Verse stopped listening to Earworm because when he finally did something big, he got his first doomsign. At first, Verse openly told his friends, Luke and Rina, about everything that happened to him. They combined their knowledge of video games, manga, and pop culture in an effort to solve this puzzle on their own. This led Verse to opening his mind to the Song (Dark Visions doomsign), scanning the lyrics for anything about how to stop Earworm without dying. The release of energy sent out a shockwave that destroyed Rina's room, severely injuring her and Luke. No one remembers anything because memory manipulation is one of Verse's superpowers.

In the aftermath, Verse realized that his Dark Vision did show him something after all. Maybe he could use his memory manipulation on himself to forget all about the Song and Earworm. Now the questions is: How can he do this without erasing everything else about himself in the process? It would be the same as if he'd died because he technically wouldn't exist anymore.

• Why does Verse think talking about their doom openly will bring them closer to it? Why does Verse think confronting danger alone brings him towards his doom?

Verse's doom is audible. The Song wants to be sung and Earworm is always talking to him. Verse is afraid that talking about it openly might trigger it somehow, or otherwise give Earworm and edge. It's like that Depeche Mode song, Enjoy the Silence. Words bring pain.

Song Lyrics

Words like violence
Break the silence
Come crashing in
Into my little world
Painful to me
Pierce right through me
Can't you understand
Oh, my little girl

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
They can only do harm.

Confronting danger alone makes Verse nervous because he doesn't have anyone to distract him or keep himself in check. He would be alone with his thoughts, alone with the Song and with Earworm. He might slip, get desperate, and unleash another doomsign. 

• What kind of hero does Gray want Verse to be? What does she do to push him toward that ideal?

I imagine Gray to be like Galadriel from Lord of the Rings when she's in her dark mode, fighting back Sauron with Elrond and Saruman. She was once a kind and powerful being whose majesty faded after millennia of unrest. The last of the Grays sacrificed themselves to bind Earworm to the center of their gravesite. Gray herself was also bound as an eternal caretaker, but somehow, Earworm wriggled away from her grasp. She remains bound, and has become very world-weary, but she unshakably upholds her duty with the last ounces of her strength.

Gray wants Verse to grow up. She expects him to be mature, responsible, and of impeccable moral fiber. She pushes him toward her ideal by being a strict teacher and mentor. She puts him through training exercises to make him strong, gives him lessons to make him wise, and otherwise guides him on best practices for honing his dark powers.

• Optional NPC info?

Luke Mitchell: Former bully, one of Calvin's best friends. Luke was an all-star jock that liked to pick on Calvin for being nerdy. He lost the use of his legs in a football game. Luke still loves sprots, but it's not as fun watching his former friends play while he sets on the sidelines in a wheelchair. He found himself gravitating more toward people like Calvin, who introduced him to nerdy culture. Luke has really warmed up to him and tries to make up for years of mistreatment. Even though he's in a wheelchair, he's still as strong as ever, and does what he can to protect his new friends.

Rina Kokonoe: Best friend since childhood. Rina is a nerd just like Calvin, but she's also much more of a tomboy than he is. Her father owns a tai chi dojo. She wants to follow in his footsteps to give normies a way to protect themselves without needing superpowers. Rina and Calvin briefly tried dating before they realized that they were better off as friends. They've been through almost everything together and are as close as two people can be without being creepy.

Yuxi Zheng: Calvin's older sister. Yuxi is a holistic doctor with a kind, patient, and curious heart. She wants to advance healthcare by studying alternative medicine. She operates her own clinic and provides services such as acupuncture, chiropractic care, massage, homeopathy, and naturopathy. Yuxi knows as much as Calvin knows about Earworm. She tries to help him without drawing too much attention to herself.

Eternal

Eternal

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

• What is Verse's Heroic Drive? Does being a hero give him a rush, or does he dream of living a normal life when everything is done? Does being a hero give him a rush, or does he dream of living a normal life when everything is done?

Despite having an expiration date, Verse loves being a hero. It's nice to know that he can make a real difference in the city, rather than spend his life taking orders from adults and Beaks. Right now, he's more concerned with helping others because it distracts him from the reality of his situation. He may be doomed, but he doesn't have to spend his life in doom and gloom, if he can help it.

Besides, Verse has three pillars of support: the team, Gray, and the fact that he only has one doomsign so far. He falls apart when he's alone, or when he can't escape / distract himself from his impending responsibilities.

As for returning to normal: I think Calvin realizes that this is likely the only way for him to survive, if it's even possible. Given no other choice, he would sacrifice his powers in the end. Whether or not he would be able to live with himself after being de-powered is another story. When all of his supernatural strength is gone, that's when he'd get melancholic. That's when he'd start to question whether or not he, as Calvin, will ever amount to anything more than a normal guy in a 9 to 5 job.

• How does Earworm play into Verse's life? What made him decide to stop trusting Earworm? Does he have a plan to defeat it? What can Earworm do to threaten him before their destined confrontation?

Earworm is the literal voice inside Verse's head. It's always there. It makes him and breaks him, temping him with dangerously awesome power at the cost of his doom. It offers skewed commentary and advice about himself and the world around him. It's part evil genie, part conscience, and part jinchuriki from Naruto, threatening to take him over at any given moment. Right now, all Earworm can do is talk to Verse, but as the game progresses, it gains more control over his body.

Verse's current plan to defeat is to distract himself with noise and try his best not to listen. This is very difficult because it's like having a record on repeat. Even when Earworm isn't communicating with Verse directly, that same old song is stuck in his head. Once he sings the whole song out loud, the binding is undone. Earworm is free. Otherwise, he's heavily banking on Gray to help him find a sustainable solution.

Verse stopped listening to Earworm because when he finally did something big, he got his first doomsign. At first, Verse openly told his friends, Luke and Rina, about everything that happened to him. They combined their knowledge of video games, manga, and pop culture in an effort to solve this puzzle on their own. This led Verse to opening his mind to the Song (Dark Visions doomsign), scanning the lyrics for anything about how to stop Earworm without dying. The release of energy sent out a shockwave that destroyed Rina's room, severely injuring her and Luke. No one remembers anything because memory manipulation is one of Verse's superpowers.

In the aftermath, Verse realized that his Dark Vision did show him something after all. Maybe he could use his memory manipulation on himself to forget all about the Song and Earworm. Now the questions is: How can he do this without erasing everything else about himself in the process? It would be the same as if he'd died because he technically wouldn't exist anymore.

• Why does Verse think talking about their doom openly will bring them closer to it? Why does Verse think confronting danger alone brings him towards his doom?

Verse's doom is audible. The Song wants to be sung and Earworm is always talking to him. Verse is afraid that talking about it openly might trigger it somehow, or otherwise give Earworm and edge. It's like that Depeche Mode song, Enjoy the Silence. Words bring pain.

Song Lyrics

Words like violence
Break the silence
Come crashing in
Into my little world
Painful to me
Pierce right through me
Can't you understand
Oh, my little girl

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
They can only do harm

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
They can only do harm.

Confronting danger alone makes Verse nervous because he doesn't have anyone to distract him or keep himself in check. He would be alone with his thoughts, alone with the Song and with Earworm. He might slip, get desperate, and unleash another doomsign. 

• What kind of hero does Gray want Verse to be? What does she do to push him toward that ideal?

I imagine Gray to be like Galadriel from Lord of the Rings when she's in her dark mode, fighting back Sauron with Elrond and Saruman. She was once a kind and powerful being whose majesty faded after millennia of unrest. The last of the Grays sacrificed themselves to bind Earworm to the center of their gravesite. Gray herself was also bound as an eternal caretaker, but somehow, Earworm wriggled away from her grasp. She remains bound, and has become very world-weary, but she unshakably upholds her duty with the last ounces of her strength.

Gray wants Verse to grow up. She expects him to be mature, responsible, and of impeccable moral fiber. She pushes him toward her ideal by being a strict teacher and mentor. She puts him through training exercises to make him strong, gives him lessons to make him wise, and otherwise guides him on best practices for honing his dark powers.

• Optional NPC info?

More later.

Eternal

Eternal

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

Song Lyrics

Words like violence
Break the silence
Come crashing in
Into my little world
Painful to me
Pierce right through me
Can't you understand
Oh, my little girl

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
They can only do harm

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
They can only do harm.

More later.

• Optional NPC info?

More later.

Eternal

Eternal

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

More later.

More later.

• Optional NPC info?

More later.

Eternal

Eternal

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

More later.

More later.

More later.

• Optional NPC info?

More later.

Eternal

Eternal

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

As for returning to normal: I think Calvin realizes that this is likely the only way for him to survive, if it's even possible. Given no other choice, he would sacrifice his powers in the end. Whether or not he would be able to live that was is another story. When all of his supernatural strength is gone, that's when he'd get melancholic. That's when he'd start to question whether or not he, as Calvin, will ever amount to anything more than a normal guy in a 9 to 5 job.

More later.

More later.

More later.

• Optional NPC info?

More later.