Edit History

GaryD20

GaryD20

I hate that I'm so late to this conversation. There's so much I want to comment on, I don't know where to start. 

@cailano This idea with the boldface is interesting. In a game I'm running over on Tavern Keeper the party totally ignored a frog shaped alter that would have saved them a ton of time in moving on to the next phase of the adventure. This kind of thing happens a lot. Players not investigating something important or even beneficial to them. Drives me nuts sometimes. I'm like, "Come on guys, there's a sack full of rare gems hidden inside that hollowed out tree over there." Or, "Come on guys, investigate the goblin markings on the post of this bridge you are about to cross. It might save you an ass whippin'." 

You say you're using this in your recent games? I'd be curious to know how its been working. Is it having the desired effect? You don't feel like its doing the players "thinking" for them? 

And yes, I agree wholeheartedly that tracking time and resources adds so much to the game. It can build drama, suspense, danger... I don't know why it gets such a bum wrap. It make the game so much more fun and interesting!

GaryD20

GaryD20

I hate that I'm so late to this conversation. There's so much I want to comment on, I don't know where to start. 

@cailano This idea with the boldface is interesting. In a game I'm running over on Tavern Keeper the party totally ignored a frog shaped alter that would have saved them a ton of time in moving on to the next phase of the adventure. This kind of thing happens a lot. Players not investigating something important or even beneficial to them. Drive me nuts sometimes. I'm like, "Come on guys, there's a sack full of rare gems hidden inside that hollowed out tree over there." Or, "Come on guys, investigate the goblin markings on the post of this bridge you are about to cross. It might save you an ass whippin'." 

You say you're using this in your recent games? I'd be curious to know how its been working. Is it having the desired effect? You don't feel like its doing the players "thinking" for them? 

And yes, I agree wholeheartedly that tracking time and resources adds so much to the game. It can build drama, suspense, danger... I don't know why it gets such a bum wrap. It make the game so much more fun and interesting!