Edit History

fabulist

fabulist

On 3/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, yxanthymir said:

Great discussion. I myself love some exploration. Discovering the secrets of the world and its mysteries are my main purpose and driving force. The problem is most games don't involve that sort of exploration. Normally it is just a simple mystery that is right on your face, and the story is just a series of challenges to get there. I wish they provided more meaningful stories with a great mystery to solve. I understand that it would be very difficult to achieve, and strange in a game not particularly designed with that sole aspect in mind.

I remember a particular great story at the Call of Cthulhu RPG. Don't remember the name unfortunately. But the system was not designed for combat at all. 

You're living on one of the floating islands around the planet. Everyone's living on the floating islands around the planet, because three generations ago enormous dark swirling storms and cyclones appeared down there, and during the following months not a single airship returned that ventured down to find out what was happening.

And it has been so for almost 200 years now. As usual, you and your friends spend a lot of time staring down and talking about what could have happened. Mostly, you are just playing out your imagination, because none has any idea what happened. And that's highly alarming, given that the unobtainium stores are running low and that means the islands plunging down. During the last few years, the survivors up here have been getting more and more edgy, then nervous, then violent and desperate. Now you don't know if you're going to die by falling or in one of the frenzied, pointless riots that happen with increasing frequency.

And then you notice it! A light spot! A large light spot in the menacing, roiling clouds down there. You've seen it in pictures, that must be normal clouds! A hole in the Wyrdstorm! A possible way down without dying... And, one of you knows about an airship that works. Well, most of the time, since it's been cast away as useless junk. But Uncle Cavann knows a lot about airships, and he said it's not crippled, only a little lame. So, after you tell everyone, you can yourself slip on it and head down to discover what's happened all those years ago, explore that new (for you) world, dig out its secrets -- and hopefully find a location for a settlement to save all the people stuck up here.

fabulist

fabulist

On 3/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, yxanthymir said:

Great discussion. I myself love some exploration. Discovering the secrets of the world and its mysteries are my main purpose and driving force. The problem is most games don't involve that sort of exploration. Normally it is just a simple mystery that is right on your face, and the story is just a series of challenges to get there. I wish they provided more meaningful stories with a great mystery to solve. I understand that it would be very difficult to achieve, and strange in a game not particularly designed with that sole aspect in mind.

I remember a particular great story at the Call of Cthulhu RPG. Don't remember the name unfortunately. But the system was not designed for combat at all. 

You're living on one of the floating islands around the planet. Everyone's living on the floating islands around the planet, because three generations ago enormous dark swirling storms and cyclones appeared down there, and during the following months not a single airship returned that ventured down to find out what was happening.

And it has been so for almost 200 years now. As usual, you and your friends spend a lot of time staring down and talking about what could have happened. Mostly, you are just playing out your imagination, because none has any idea what happened. And that's highly alarming, given that the unobtainium stores are running low and that means the islands plunging down. During the last few years, the survivors up here have been getting more and more edgy, then nervous, then violent and desperate. Now you don't know if you're going to die by falling or in one of the frenzied, pointless skirmishes that happen with increasing frequency.

And then you notice it! A light spot! A large light spot in the menacing, roiling clouds down there. You've seen it in pictures, that must be normal clouds! A hole in the Wyrdstorm! A possible way down without dying... And, one of you knows about an airship that works. Well, most of the time, since it's been cast away as useless junk. But Uncle Cavann knows a lot about airships, and he said it's not crippled, only a little lame. So, after you tell everyone, you can yourself slip on it and head down to discover what's happened all those years ago, explore that new (for you) world, dig out its secrets -- and hopefully find a location for a settlement to save all the people stuck up here.