Chapter 1: All the King's Men

Gregorotto

spacer.pngHrotha Vinmark

HP: 19/19 | AC: 15 (18 arm/20 shl) | Fort: +6  Ref: +5  Will: +5 | H-Points: 0 | Languages: Common, Orc, Celestial

Current Conditions: None

Active Abilities: None

You Want an Oafish Half-Breed?!

Hrotha has worked long and hard to maintain her temper among people who, quite simply, treat her like trash. Unfortunately, her body is not as well-practiced at holding back against insults and she has a hand on Malphene's shoulder before she realizes it, fingers tangling tight on the cloth there. She can see it play out in her head, the cold-steel glare she would lay down on the woman as she spoke. Spoke about how she'd welcome the change to bloody her knuckles on Trant's face. About how Malphene may believe she's tough but she still comes from soft human stock. About how the Trants are all bluster but shy away from actual conflict. Maybe Malphene would make good on that threat, take a swing and Hrotha would respond in kind and soon the whole event would be focused on a half-orc girl kicking the ever-loving crap out of a loud-mouth churl. Just defending herself, Hrotha would say. But today isn't about her and Malphene Trant will be around tomorrow, so she releases that grip a moment after obtaining it, hissing the word through her teeth as the woman turns to go.

"Anytime." It takes some breaths to regain her composure, and her eyes remain trained on the floor as she picks up the glass she'd dropped. The better to avoid the inevitable sneers and snickers from the faces around her. Today is too important to let the petty out, and Hrotha has been holding back a lot of petty lately. With Armen still nearby, she turns to him as she takes the glass to the nearest serving tray for removal.

"Well, I blew it. She's sending her lackey to collect someone. Maybe you can do better." She does question her purpose here, feeling so completely out of place in this moment where her failure is made so obvious. Armen and Juvenal could talk their way through all this much better than she could, while Greyrose and Lorelei have the smarts to figure things out that she'd never catch. It feels like she is nothing but a pretty face in an, admittedly, gorgeous outfit lumbering through the china shop like the eponymous bull. "I should report back to Martella anyways."

And so she does, moving in that direction to lay out her experiences with doctoring the wine and smoothing the way with the Baron. Perhaps that will allow her to downplay this little incident. She keeps an eye out for anything worth engaging with as she slides through the crowd.

OOC Details

Will perceive for anything worth involving herself in, but otherwise will do the check-in I skipped last time.

Edited by DoNotFearToTread (see edit history)
Name
Perceive!
1d20+3 6

image.png.e3e76c1146c91f6f94bf0c398e800fdd.pngGreyrose continues his stride, undeterred. If Countess Pace is as fickle as they say, it should not matter what she was saying before, by the time they reach the bottom of the stairs, her opinions may have changed. He did his best to blend in and approach unnoticed, so that his presence would not affect whatever attitude she was projecting to her companions. A man such as Greyrose had a tendency to draw attention but he doubted very much that his mere presence would be able to sway the attitude of a Countess. She had almost certainly spotted him with Martella when she was gossiping but he might have been beneath her notice. Perhaps she would tell him off. Either way, he would learn something about the woman that she was.

OOC

Action 1: Stealth check to approach drawing as little attention as possible
Action 2: Perception check to Seek (?) to overhear bits of their conversation
Action 3: Another Perception check to Sense Motive to intuit how she truly feels or what she is actually up to

Name
Stealth (Sneak)
1d20+1 11
Perception (Seek)
1d20+7 17
Perception (Sense Motive)
1d20+7 12

spacer.png

Armen LotheedHuman Bard 1
HP 17/17 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perception +7 | Hero Points 1
Focus Points 3/3 | Spell Slots (1st - 2/2) | Class DC 17

Armen steps forward to place a reassuring (if mildly clammy) hand on Hrotha's arm as she lets the Trant woman stomp away. "If it's any comfort, I have no doubt that if she hadn't chosen to walk away, you'd have planted your foot squarely up her backside. Rather would have livened up this whole affair."

He looks after the retreating Trant and her lackeys, frowning. Engaging with them sounds deeply unpleasant. However, it would probably be wise to find out who the "him" one of the women is supposed to find is. Once his report to Martella is complete, he follows the trio back into the Emperor's Hall, waiting for an opportunity to introduce himself to the woman who had been instructed to seek someone out. As he loiters, pretending to admire the art pieces on display here and there, he tries to nonchalantly sneak close enough to overhead some snippet of the Trant trio's conversation.

Once an opportunity presents itself, he swoops in with a gallant bow to intercept the lackey dispatched to "find him." "It's a lovely evening, isn't it?" he asks her, attempting to restrain her movements through the shackles of social niceties. "Pardon, but your face looks so familiar, yet I cannot place where we have met before. Armentarius Lotheed. Might I ask your name?"

He proceeds with more and more polite questions: what brings her here, where her lovely dress comes from, if she's sampled the champaign, and so on. His goal is to fluster her into divulging who it is she's meeting or, failing that, to at least delay her long enough that she feels compelled to rush to her target as soon as she can, making it easier to follow her.

OOC

Action 1: Stealth to unobtrusively get close enough to Trant and her companions to eavesdrop on them.

Action 2: Perception to eavesdrop on them.

Action 3: Diplomacy or Deception (both are +7) to delay Trant's messenger by cornering her with polite small talk.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
1d20+2 19
Perception
1d20+7 7
Diplomacy
1d20+7 14

Albrecht_3-removebg-preview.png.87997e0dce83a86835efeda1ba50ec9c.pngLorelei Albrecht

Human Osirionologist Magus (1)

HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | Fort: +6  Ref: +7  Will: +5 | Hero Points: 1 | Languages: Azlanti, Osiriani, Ancient Osiriani, Varisian

"M-m-m-my apologies, Duke C--" Lorelei is cut off as the Duke continues to lecture her on her poor approach and the woman stands firm against the assault of words. Her lip quivers slightly; tears threaten to break free from her eyes. But she does not cry. She refuses. Not because of her failure; not because she is being berated; certainly not because she was awful at this whole ordeal. She can handle this. This is something she is used to. The amount of times she has been lectured or berated for her approach to a problem by the Library Director and many of her peers...it's not a number she is willing to count to at this moment.

So she takes it in stride, holding her polite smile and nodding along with his words. When the man rolls away Lorelei takes a deep and shaky breath and exhales it through pursed lips. 'As expected.' Her mind tells her disappointingly while her body leads the way back towards Martella in the Gallery. Upon seeing the woman, Lorelei made her way over and stood nearby, though she does not seem to directly look at her while talking, as she seems unsure just how covert she should be making the whole ordeal.

"My lady, I fear that I might have made a bit of a mess with the Duke...I-I-...Well...I am unsure which way he may be voting and can only hope that I have not...um..well...pushed him in an opposing direction." As she speaks, Lorelei absently holds a mostly-emptied glass of white wine and twiddles her fingers about its stem. "I promise to try and not make a mess of things further, I am still-- well um...I am still committed, you see. To the cause, I mean. I-...I'm going to go. Let me know if there is-- U-um...Less intrusive ways that I might help." She listens to the woman's guidance or lecture -- whichever is to come -- with a lowered head and a nod of understanding.

Just then, Hrotha comes to check in with Martella and Lorelei gives her a humble smile, but quickly looks back down to her twiddling fingers. She speaks quietly to her, "I hope your luck has been a bit better than my own. I fear I may be causing more harm than help in these matters, but I will keep trying." Without much else to say, Lorelei surveys room around her and spots Greyrose near their next target: Countess Pace. She nods her head in farewell to Hrotha and strides closer to the mysterious inspector. She also attempts to keep a low profile while sidling up next to him, speaking lowly and making it appear as if she is admiring one of the nearby art pieces. "I see you have found our new friend. Whatever your approach, I will back you up. Although..." She bites her lip and that anchor of doubt weighs heavily on her heart. "...Perhaps it is best if you take the lead when speaking. I have had little luck and might have caused us a bit of a trouble in my last attempt." She quietly clears her throat, preparing to assist Greyrose in whatever method he takes to approach or merely survey the woman's countenance.

OoC

Action 1 - Perception to keep an eye and ear out for any interesting bits of information from nearby conversations as she moves to the Gallery.

Action 2 - A stealth to blend in with the crowd when talking with Martella/Hrotha and approaching Greyrose.

Action 3 - Lastly I want to help out with Greyrose's perception to listen out for Pace's conversation.

Name
Perception
1d20+3 18
Stealth
1d20+7 11
Perception (Help Out)
1d20+3 18

image.png.b15cf55aafc5b827c093790a93993eec.pngJuvenal de Ari-Cato Karthis

HP: 19/19 | AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +9 | Will: +5 | Perception +5 | Hero Points: | Languages: Common (Taldane), Osiriani, Kelish

Gods it was maddening. Go here, do that, target this person. Martella Lotheed somehow found a way to make court more droll than it already was, by making it work. Juvenal hated work and just above that he hated being told what to do. But by some hellish design he'd managed to get caught up doing the three things he hated most. What he was told, work, and talking to nobles.

Absolutely maddening.

These were the thought swimming through his head as he made his tongue swim through wine. He was feeling a buzz now, a small dance in his step as he moved along. That was good. Being drunk always made the worst of tasks at least somewhat bearable for him. Hadn't he promised someone something about drinking tonight?

Oh promises, promises, promises. More fickle than a star in the morning light. But he always kept his, at least so he said. It was the only reason he hadn't split the senate yet, left to find some more entertaining party downhill where he could stick his head in a wine jug and his bottom half in a-

His thoughts stopped when he heard those voices coming from the badge on his lapel again. People. People who he could stomach for the most part, even if they couldn't stomach him. And could he blame them really? Martella had hired six people for a job, a mission, five of them were succee- Well not succeeding actually. Lorelei had fumbled the Duke and Hrotha had cocked up the Trant situation.

But at least they were trying. What was he doing? Stealing wine pitchers from servants who likely were soon to be yelled at by irate lords and ladies. As always, it was a decidedly pathetic outing for him. And as always, he drowned that thought away with another drink of wine.

But then his wine cup was empty and was instead filled with reason. Why was he moping? He hated moping, it didn't look quite good on him. There was an easy solution to his problems... just act like they didn't exist. A revelation to shatter mankind's understanding of turmoil, to be sure. But he was an expert on it. And as soon as he tossed away his wine cup and strutted forward all of the self-loathing left him. That was Juvenal's greatest weapon after all. Treating his problems like they were a cat and he was a mouse.

"Maaaaaaaartelllla, my one true love." Juvenal sung into his communicator. There was still a little bit of drunkenness still in his voice. But there being only a little bit was far and away an improvement for Juvenal. "You always dance best when you choose the music. So I'm going to work the room a little bit. Warm the waters to Princess Head Butt. So that way Trant and Pace and whoever else we want to choke like a Chelaxian- abandoning that metaphor actually, a bit too saucy for a gala- Anyone we want to choke doesn't have someone to pull them out the pool."

"Anyways, any chance I could get some play-by-play info on whom I'm talking to when I talk to them? Usually I do my research beforehand before flattering or embarrassing someone. But this is all a bit last minute."

In-between his status update and request to Martella, Juvenal dove into the crowd of lords. Doing what he did best. A mixture of schmoozing and infuriating. All while trying to subtly inch the room towards the princess' favor. Whether that be by luring others onto his side or prodding other's until they were forced to choose the princess.

Trant, furious, rushes off, one of her two sycophants in tow to change dresses; the other, huffing, looks at Hrotha with dismay, as the half-orc, having delayed but not stopped the inevitable, moves on to report to Martella Lotheed above, ascending the stairs around the same time Lorelei is across the room. Armen, picking up on the situation, moves in like a shark to hold the line in Hrotha's wake.

Meanwhile, Juvenal is a shark all his own, swimming through the sea of the Senate floor, looking for souls to influences, princesses to impress. Armen had his time, now it's Juvenal's time to shine with royalty!

Above, Lorelei gets to Martella first, and reports in her failing with Duke Centimus. Martella looks disappointed, but not at Lorelei. "Pity, he's such a sensitive soul these days. Not your fault, dear, your approach works nine out of ten times. Perhaps a touch of a different kind is needed... Juvenal, perhaps, or Alexis. Where are they, by the by? They are taking their sweet time in reporting in." Faintly, Lorelei can hear Ulfen voices singing somewhere in the distance above the hum of voices below. "No matter. Greyrose is hunting down Countess Pace. Find incriminating evidence on her, of her inevitable betrayal, and then act on it, cornering her into voting properly. Her reputation is important to her: intimidation will be key, as will logic. You and Greyrose are more than up for the task: never doubt how wide your talents truly are, dear. And send Juvenal my way, will you?" She nods, as Martella beckons Hrotha to join her and report in.spacer.png

As she moves through the Gallery past Hrotha, she spies bits of news she can use, little observations she can take with her. The way Earl Calhoadion Vernisant and Count Orlundo Zespire, aka the Iron Gar, debate the need for more money in maintaining the canals of Taldor and how so much money is being wasted with grandstanding and self-elevation, with the Earl laughing off such obviously true accusations. The Count is tired of the conversation already, but the playful halfling jester blocks the nearest exit, the children surrounding her as she juggles ten rings in the air at once. Her face is painted largely white, her nose red, her lips the same shade, not in a typical clown format in a long drawn smile but simple touch ups on the lips.

"What goes up must come down: now watch as we ring the neck of yet another noble! Hail the revolution of Galt!" It is clearly satire for the parents, who chuckle as somehow, the tiny halfling pulls out a a puppet dressed in blue, clearly as a noble. The puppet is nearly as long as her arm, but she quickly uses it to catch each one of the rings: on the overly long nose of the puppet. Each juggling ring falls on the nose, and then with a careful flick of the wrist, the rings go around the neck of the puppet, whose mouth suddenly flies open, the halfling's left hand conveniently missing within the puppet's back.

"Oh no! Politics and change! Change and politics! Won't someone please relieve me of such a burden and let me get back to my leisurely activities, like sullying my family's good name and ruining the lives of poor urchin girls? Why, look at this little jester here, holding me in the back: what a silly thing she is, and no taller than a child! Someone free me from the grips of this child!" The halfling suddenly looks offended, and says "Why you—!" before taking the puppet by the neck and shaking it, to the absolute delight of the children. After the puppet strangles her for a bit, the crowd claps as the halfling takes a bow. "Wyssilka the Fantabulous will be taking a short breath: but don't go anywhere, she has only just begun! Duke Squiggles cannot get away!" With that, she bows and then stands quickly, causing a puff of ribbons to go flying from her wrists as she steps back and goes down the stairs, likely headed for the Servants' Quarters. Lorelei, on a mission, moves on after Greyrose.

Below, as Juvenal's reporting in falls on deaf ears, Greyrose moves into perfect position to eavesdrop on Countess Pace, moving to a group regal looking older nobles. Greyrose, as of yet undetected by anyone, takes a seat in a side gallery nearby in the Senate Chamber, close enough to listen and hear the exchange. He is quickly joined by Lorelei, who hears all but the pleasantries at the beginning.

"Countess Pace, I understand you will be voting for the repeal of the law of ascension, is that correct?" asks an older woman in purple, using a fan in vain to cool her overly ripe face.

Countess Pace chuckles, adjusting her spectacles. "Oh my dear, I believe you've heard wrong. I have gotten in close with Eutropia's camp, it is true. I have heard their arguments, and I find them lacking. Why change a system that works for those it needs to work for? Even at the bottom, the system works as is. No, but don't let anyone know it: I am voting against, today. There's more to be gained by keeping things the way they are and letting a new line rule the Lion Throne."

Another voice, an elderly man in garrish colors, also fans himself, makeup concealing age marks beneath. "And who's to say, perhaps such a vote will benefit you in the new order once Stavian is no more?"

Countess Pace laughs politely. "Well, you know what they say. What's good for the goose."

And what a gander it is. That's quite the incriminating evidence for both Greyrose and Lorelei.

Armen, meanwhile, is off on an errand of his own, slowly stalking the messenger sent by Trant to find "him." While Armen doesn't know who "he" is, he can certainly stop her from having gotten it done in the meantime. The woman is tall, her skin dark in the sun, with reddish-brown hair that goes up in a bun not unlike Malphene Trant's. Her dress, purple, compliments her hair but not perhaps her skin, as it makes the contours of her body visible above the hemlines look purplish. As she looks around impatiently, she at last catches Armen's eyes and he takes the opportunity to greet her, causing her to grimace somewhat, then correct. "You're that musician, the one who mocked the High Strategos. An incredibly stupid move." After a pause, she smiles. "And daring. How can I help you, Armentarius... Lotheed, you say? Lord Bartelby's brother?" This surprises her and changes her entire demeanor. "Dame Lucella Gravinar, daughter of Duchess Gravinar. You're not a voting member like me, and like me, you've an aide's badge; who do you serve?"

Elsewhere, Juvenal finally spies his chance: the Princess is, for just a moment, free. He can move in, if he's quick.

Out of Character

spacer.png

Map Key:
A1-Arcade of Triumphs (T20) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A2 (T20) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A3-Emperor's Hall (T4) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A4-Gallery (not pictured, above A5-7 but primarily 6) (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A5-Imperial Archives (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A6-Senate Floor (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A7-Servant Area (T-20) PCs Present NPCs Present

Event Notes

Event: 4

Each Event has a Social Round, a 15-minute or so period where you can attempt to influence a room or a specific NPC, complete a mission, etc. Each time you influence things, you may attempt a check, whose DC I will not provide. Excess points past the threshold convert to threshold points, which help build influence in each room. Per 2e rules, if you go a certain threshold past the DC, you can potentially double your points. You are restricted to 3 rolls per post, and are not restricted by the number of posts you can make per Event.

You'll need to go through each room to find out what NPCs are in what room, or find Martella. You can roll whatever you want to discover who is where and why, though just being in a room, I will provide hints. For the sake of nobility, Armen, Juvenal, and Hrotha can add +3 to their rolls to identify who a person is.

Event 4 is focused on dissenters and finishing your given tasks.

If this is unclear, hit up the Discord, and likely there discuss things anyway.

Missions

• Influence the vote in favor of Eutropia
  • Determine the loyalties of the following Senators: Duke Centimus, Countess Pace
  • Stop Malphene Trant from influencing junior senators negatively
  • Counter the influence of opposition Senators

Alright, last round of Event 4. Let's make it count.

Albrecht_3-removebg-preview.png.87997e0dce83a86835efeda1ba50ec9c.pngLorelei Albrecht

Human Osirionologist Magus (1)

HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | Fort: +6  Ref: +7  Will: +5 | Hero Points: 1 | Languages: Azlanti, Osiriani, Ancient Osiriani, Varisian

Lorelei makes her way towards the Senate Floor, pausing only briefly to allow Wyssilka the Fantabulous to finish her show. And what a show it is. At first, the humble librarian smiles at the gathering of children in front of an entertainer, but her smile grows increasingly grim as she watches the scene play out. Even though she has spent quite a bit of time around these callous Nobles, she cannot imagine how anyone could find such a show funny. It isn't that the show was put on poorly -- quite the opposite, in fact -- but the commentary on the current state of their society is horrifyingly apropos. And the fact that both the parents and the children found such a thing laughable sends shiver down her spine. 'Do they not realize the jester pokes fun at their worst qualities?' She wonders, and the voice regrettably responds. 'Nekhet pen kheper rek set-a' akh fen.' The strong will always benefit themselves at the detriment of the weak. It is a true statement, but Lorelei refuses to give any attention to this odd voice. It is unwelcome, and she has told it more than once to go away. The next step is to ignore it.

Moving past the scattering of ribbons on the floor, Lorelei spots Juvenal as she enters the room and shakes her head with immediate disappointment while walking over. "Lord Juvenal..." She says with a powerful, lecturing tone -- a skill one gains automatically as a trained librarian. "...How very nice to see you. Ah, and smelling of wine -- wonderful." There is a pleasant smile on her face, but her nostrils are flaring and a fury burns behind her brown eyes that makes them gleam the color of a wood cabin in flames. "I had thought that an oath was requested and given, but I suppose that is a lapse in my own intelligence to expect such a thing to have meaning to you." She reaches out and, for a moment, it seems as if she might grab him by the lapels of his jacket and scream into his face. Instead, she straightens the edges of the lapels and brushes a hand across them, as if to primp him up a bit. Unluckily for the young Karthis, Lorelei has not witnessed any of his successes this evening, and so an assumption is made. "Let's try and have you accomplish something this evening before things get too...blurred. Martella wishes to see you." She walks away without another word. Juvenal can only watch her back and the bobbing of her crimsons curls as her heels echo their clacks throughout the senate chamber.

From the front view, Lorelei has her eyes closed for a moment to steady her breathing. She did not have the whole picture of everything that had happened, but from her point of view, the night is a disaster. She is a perfectionist, after all, and if a single thing goes wrong, then surely the entirety of it all has been lost. Her best course of action is to salvage what they can and get as many of Martella's goals accomplished as they can. The thought comes to her just as she is sidling up to Greyrose. Her ears perk up at the conversation and she casts a raised eyebrow towards the Inspector. Lorelei has changed her mind as quickly as Countess Pace seemingly has. She will take the lead on this one and surely blunder everything, but this is far too good to pass up. Besides, Greyrose will be backing her up.

The usually meek librarian steps over towards Countess Pace and her social group with her pin displayed proudly on her dress, fueled by her pent up anger. "What a very interesting jest to tell, Countess." She is wearing that smile again, the one that is pleasant but with the raging flame behind her eyes. "I applaud your brave approach to comedy. I, for one, would worry far too much whether individuals of importance -- ones who could be listening in at any moment -- would think that I was being serious about retracting a vote after making a commitment to certain parties. I'd surely be beset by doubt and worry regarding how my reputation might be tarnished. It would be difficult to convince anyone to make deals or even plans for social outings with a reputation like that. But you are a brave woman, I suppose you would not worry about such things when telling your magnificent jokes." She stares at the Countess knowingly but her smile holds strong. The voice inside her mind indicates that it is pleased. She has awoken the battle spirit inside herself.

OoC

Action 1 - Casting the spell Infectious EnthusiasmWith enchanted gusto, you encourage yourself to get things done and share your motivation with your allies. You gain a +1 status bonus to your choice of attack rolls, Will saves, or Charisma-based skill checks. During the spell’s duration, an ally who observed you Casting this Spell and was within 30 feet when you did so can take a single action, which has the concentrate trait, to gain the same bonus you chose until the start of its next turn.

Using this spell to influence someone in a social situation is typically considered a faux pas, negating the benefit on Charisma-based skills if the subject of the check observed you casting the spell.
with Lorelei's wake-up-call to Juvenal and the tidying of his jacket being the Verbal and Somatic components. I'm choosing Charisma as the +1 bonus.

Action 2 - Used in the casting.

Action 3 - Intimidate on Countess Pace (Hopefully with aid from Greyrose or Juvenal (or both)).

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Indimidate Pace
1d20+1 13

image.png.e3e76c1146c91f6f94bf0c398e800fdd.pngGreyrose continues to sit in the side gallery and observe, as Lorelei raises an eyebrow and then takes the lead on Countess Pace. It seems quite out of character for the librarian but she has surprised him a number of times this evening already. He is intrigued and slowly stands, dusts off his jacket, and leisurely takes his time joining her side, arriving just as she began staring down the Countess. He wasn't sure what he was going to say - to be honest, he already found Lorelei to be far more intimidating than he made any attempt to be. Still, perhaps his unique perspective on rather mundane situations would once again lead to someone thinking twice about putting their soul in jeopardy for eternity.

"... one's social standing rarely lasts even one's own lifetime. One's reputation rarely lasts another," he muses, upon his arrival. "No, it is not the fleeting diversions of this life that should concern a woman of Countess Pace's considerable... wisdom." He had stopped just short of an insult but his meaning was clear to those of intellect. "Not this year, not yet." Greyrose's last statement wasn't a threat... precisely. It was, however a reminder. A reference to an aphorism common among those who revered Pharasma - a brief prayer, spoken in response to hearing a tragedy or bad rumor, asking that Pharasma delay when believers are sent to her realm, for they have much to do before that time.

Name
Aid for Lorelei's Intimidation (even though Aid is sh-t in 2E, I think it fits better than a separate intimidation)
1d20+5 1

spacer.png

"My own conscience," Armen answers with an attempt at a Juvenal-like smirk. "But, at present, I'm in the employ of my dear half-sister. I owe her a favor, you see, so I've been called upon to pretend I care about any of... this." He waves his hand dismissively in the direction of the Senate chambers. "At present, however, I've found myself distracted by your lovely dress, and the even lovelier body beneath it."

Within Armen's mind, there's a sudden realization and rising panic. Wait, what are we doing?

Shush.

Are we... are we trying to
seduce someone?

Yes.

... That seems like a terrible, terrible idea.

If you're not going to be supportive, you could at least not be hurtful.

Armen is, of course, despite his awkwardness and gloomy demeanor, certainly an eligible bachelor of note. Tall, dark, passably handsome in the right light, dressed to the nines this evening, and a remarkably talented musician. A woman with enough social ambition to willingly work for Trant of all people may very well be willing to entertain the attentions of a young man like him.

Besides, his id notes, we like redheads.

"If you're not too terribly busy at just this moment," Armen almost purrs, leaning in close, "perhaps I could draw you away for a spell? I would love to give you a... private performance."

OOC

The bard will... sigh... attempt to seduce Dame Lucella Gravinar. At least insofar as getting her to join him in an empty office in the Emperor's Hall.

Assuming he can lure her in, he'll try to distract her with an enchanting and overlong ballad to further prevent her from delivering her message.

He'll also try to find out who she's delivering it to by fabricating stories of his sister's wheelings and dealings tonight.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)
Name
Diplomacy to seduce Lucella Gravinar. Bards, man.
1d20+7 10
Performance to play an enchanting melody.
1d20+8 3
Deception to bluff information out of Lucella.
1d20+7 4

spacer.pngHrotha Vinmark

HP: 19/19 | AC: 15 (18 arm/20 shl) | Fort: +6  Ref: +5  Will: +5 | H-Points: 0 | Languages: Common, Orc, Celestial

Spinning Wheels Within Wheels

Regardless of how Martella takes the news, Hrotha walks away from giving her update deflated. Sure, she'd made progress with Baron Okerra and the wine had been doctored as requested, but the interaction with the Trant girl was the freshest in her mind and that was an abject failure. Rather than seethe and sulk about it, she turns to drink. Downing two glasses in the time it should take to down one, she is soon back into the crowd with her ear open and her tongue ready. She reasons that turning general sentiment toward their goal is as valuable a prospect as she can provide at the moment. Moving from group to group, conversation to conversation, she seeks out obvious lulls or interesting set ups to interject her support for Eutropia's cause. Leveraging her personality, knowledge of custom as well as her training in the law allows her to better situate her arguments.

Sadly, the drink and her buried resentments do nothing to aid in the endeavor.

OOC Details

Just some dice rolls to wrap things up here.

Society - 12

Diplomacy - 6

Lore (Legal) - 13

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+5 1
Society
1d20+4 8
Lore (Legal)
1d20+4 9

image.png.b15cf55aafc5b827c093790a93993eec.pngJuvenal de Ari-Cato Karthis

HP: 19/19 | AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +9 | Will: +5 | Perception +5 | Hero Points: | Languages: Common (Taldane), Osiriani, Kelish

Why wasn't Martella responding? That was the question residing in the back of Juvenal's mind as he moved through the crowd whispering there, gossiping here, and dazzling everywhere. "Martelllllllla, don't ignore me. You know my feelings shatter more easily than a Tian vase." He whispered into the pin as he took a moment to himself in-between conversations.

That was when he spotted Lorelei. A bright smile flickered across his face as he watched her walk up to him, then noticeably dropped when he recognized her head shake in noticeable disappointment. The smile drifted up again as she lectured him, sheepish like a farmboy who was just caught laying in hay rather than tending to his chores. Then a drooped down again when she spoke her last few words. "Let's try and have you accomplish something this evening."

"To be fair to myself! I did only promise to not drink while we were walking together." Juvenal called out to her in his own defence as she walked away. He regretted the action immediately. He was an expert on breaking promises on technicalities, but for some reason most people usually didn't seem accept such reasonings. He was among those people, if speaking truthfully. Which he never did.

Once again finding himself bereft, Juvenal sighed. He looked down to a wine cup he idly held in one hand, its swirling ichor dancing just beneath the lip of the cup. Suddenly he felt just a bit more sober. A dramatic man might ascribed that to Lorelei's swift and precise lecturing. A wake up call. Juvenal knew it was simply because year's of drinking gave him a high tolerance, and the stuff noble's served at party's was always swill.

Still, he let out a sigh and placed the cup on the table he leaned next to. It was a rather forced action. And if anyone was watching they'd be able to tell it took a great deal of strength from him. But that was the tragedy of it, no? No one ever looked at Juvenal when he was doing the right thing.

"Fine, then." Juvenal said a she brushed off his coat. He took another moment check his reflection in the wine cup, parting his hair a bit. Then he turned. "Martella wants to see me then. Best not keep her waiting then."

Name
Juvenal Socializing
1d20+7 19
Juvenal Lore Politics
1d20+5 11
Juvenal Perception (Sense Motive)
1d20+5 1

The game is afoot out in the world, and things are moving quicker than they need to in some cases.

As Lorelei gets Juvenal's attention and informs him of what he must do, granting him a magical boon no one else seems to notice save Greyrose, as Hrotha takes to drink, Armen is in an entirely different situation. Dame Lucella Gravinar's grin falters at the admittedly bold declaration by bard, which seems utterly out of character for his reputation but this does not seem to bother Lucella in the slightest. Her cheeks flush, darkening to a deeper olive shade, particularly as the innuendo gets deeper. Looking around, her grin returns, for she fails to find Trant looking at her and takes advantage of this. She takes Armen by the arm and leads him into a side room. "I would be delighted. Anything, at the moment, to distract me." Enthused by the attention, she pushes him in, the room having a table and two chairs. She takes one of them, then sits, throwing a leg over the arm in such a way taht exposes her stockings more fully. "Well, Lotheed... let's see how well you perform. Then perhaps you'll get a performance of your own. But please: do tell me about your sister. I hear quite a bit about her, none of it particularly kind from Malphene. Is she truly a half-breed spy?"spacer.png

This is going delightfully. The song goes well, the woman closing her eyes as she listens, bobbing her head, and once done, she claps. "You've a way with your fingers, Lotheed. Do you have more? Perhaps, other ways you can perform? Malphene is wanting to shake down Senator Dou to regain his vote to maintain promogeniture instead of letting the Princess become heir: I couldn't be paid in crowns to care, but Malphene is too much to deal with tonight. It's your damn sister that's caused that mess. But perhaps you can make it up to me?" It's not a lot of details, but it's certainly something... and more importantly, Armen looks like he's about to be tested in other, more physical ways. Her leg bobs suggestively.

As Juvenal heads upstairs and Hrotha continues her drink, Lorelei and Greyrose move in tandem to take on Countess Pace, who is taken aback at the suggestions of Lorelei: she has quite a bit to say, it turns out, more than even Greyrose has heard her say. Lorelei speaks in innuendo, as surprising as Armen's own elsewhere, implications of her reputation and power being destroyed. Her smile falters as she stares down Lorelei, but it's how Greyrose says it that makes the difference. Her smile returns, her gaze intent. The feint has failed, and it was something Greyrose said in all of that. "Hmm, Martella's hounds? Or Gloriana's? Bless it, if only you had the power to back that threat, girl. Now let's see... you're that magic charlatan. You'll be easy to sink, I suspect. But you? I'll have to find out who you are. Will you save the trouble of asking around for you, peasant, or shall I make this difficult for your friends and family? You see, reputation is important to me: and my reputation already has me playing dirty. So all it takes is a manufactured scandal to bring down a plaything like you, occultist... and it takes even less to bring down a nobody like you, dear. Precious doll that you are: go run off and play, won't you?" Pace's grin is delightful and savage, as she steps aside and rejoins the group of anti-Eutropian elders, laughing about something.

Deep in her drink, Hrotha spies Juvenal arrive and move to Martella, who seems to be growing weary of her reading. She is hearing exceedingly little, though she does pick up the energy seems to suggest Eutropia (and Martella's spies, as they are) is making an impact tonight. As Juvenal arrives at Martella, she shuts her book loudly, glaring at him and standing. "Took you long enough; up to trouble, were we? Tell me what you've been up to: I'm on my way to Eutropia's side. Has Lorelei informed you of my concerns about Malphene Trant?"

As Armen gets roped into a new kind of performance he's very not used to, he hears outside the door: "There he is, Senator Dou: get him in a side room and let's shake his sorry arse down!"

Out of Character

spacer.png

Map Key:
A1-Arcade of Triumphs (T20) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A2 (T20) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A3-Emperor's Hall (T4) PCs PresentArmen Lotheed Notable NPCs
A4-Gallery (not pictured, above A5-7 but primarily 6) (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A5-Imperial Archives (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A6-Senate Floor (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A7-Servant Area (T-20) PCs Present NPCs Present

Event Notes

Event: 5

Each Event has a Social Round, a 15-minute or so period where you can attempt to influence a room or a specific NPC, complete a mission, etc. Each time you influence things, you may attempt a check, whose DC I will not provide. Excess points past the threshold convert to threshold points, which help build influence in each room. Per 2e rules, if you go a certain threshold past the DC, you can potentially double your points. You are restricted to 3 rolls per post, and are not restricted by the number of posts you can make per Event.

You'll need to go through each room to find out what NPCs are in what room, or find Martella. You can roll whatever you want to discover who is where and why, though just being in a room, I will provide hints. For the sake of nobility, Armen, Juvenal, and Hrotha can add +3 to their rolls to identify who a person is.

Event 5 is focused on stopping Malphene Trant and finishing hanging threads

If this is unclear, hit up the Discord, and likely there discuss things anyway.

Missions

• Influence the vote in favor of Eutropia
  • Determine the loyalties of the following Senators: Duke Centimus, Countess Pace
  • Stop Malphene Trant from influencing Senator Amadorian Dou
  • Counter the influence of opposition Senators

Welcome to Event 5! It is singularly focused on Malphene Trant and stopping her.

Let's make this max 3 rounds, but we can also make it shorter if we succeed. There are still other tasks at hand!

image.png.e3e76c1146c91f6f94bf0c398e800fdd.pngGreyrose remains calm and collected throughout the old woman's self-important tirade - neither smiling nor frowning. There was nothing to be gained by correcting her misconceptions and, although she seemed far from intimidated into keeping her word, perhaps their failure would still serve to distract her from whatever other intrigues she would otherwise be playing at. They had certainly succeeded in getting into her head.

After Pace leaves, Greyrose steps a little closer to Lorelei, "... blessed are those who live beneath the notice of the nobility. Despite what she may claim to the contrary, Countess Pace possesses neither the attention span nor the sand left in her hourglass to squander resources defaming servants whose names elude her. I'm confident that the ability to see the unseen forces at work is a gift we share and her that her ire will soon be directed elsewhere." The occultist gave the librarian a reassuring nod before they went about their next task.

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)

spacer.png

"Actually," Armen says to Lucella, "I just realized that my breath is certainly not worthy of mingling with that of a beautiful woman like yourself. Could you give me a moment to freshen it?"

Regardless of whether the noblewoman buys his deception, Armen quickly ducks out of the room, searching for the source of whoever just shouted about shaking down Senator Dou. He isn't actually sure who Dou is, but presumably there will be several people hurrying after their esteemed personage. Armen follows them, surreptitiously grabbing a few small odds and ends along the way--objects he may be able to use with his telekinetic projectile cantrip in case the threat to the senator is more physical than oratorical.

Name
Deception to keep Lucella in that room!
1d20+7 11
Perception to find and follow Senator Dou's assailants!
1d20+7 1

spacer.pngHrotha Vinmark

Spinning Wheels Within Wheels

Try as she might, Hrotha cannot shake it. That burrowing little worm of resentment. A couple of drinks, some aimless and idle talk, but still her gut squirms with anger. All the years of studying high society, following their rules, ingratiating herself to them. All the parties where she had to swallow her pride and let snide little comments roll off her back to keep her parents happy. So many years of knowing her place despite the barbs of bigots and weaklings like Malphene F-ing Trant. Her whole life, one big show to keep people happy. People who would sooner spit on her than speak to her. She's moving through the crowd before she is even conscious of it, no measured steps but a long and purposeful stride back in the direction she saw Malphene and her flunkies go when they last crossed paths. This walk takes her through the Gallery and she veers off only when she sees a familiar face, one of Martella's crew of spies. She latches onto the arm of each in turn without so much as a greeting to pull them along the same path.

"Help me find Trant." It's a curt thing, equal parts command and beseechment. There is a simmering thing beneath her voice, a flare of emotion in her eyes, as she stalks onward toward Malphene's last known location. "Call me a stain? A heathen bitch?" These words are not for them, but she's voicing them none-the-less. Her intentions are in no way hidden as she rants in growls and snarls under her breath. "Break me like a twig?" Her gaze is not a steady, sweeping thing. It's jagged in its movements, leaping from face to face as she hunts for one person and one person only. The longer it takes for her to find that person, the more visibly agitated she is becoming. Her steps carry her in an erratic path around the corridor she last saw them go, and her fingers coil until her hands are tight fists.

"Where did she slither off to?" Those words are louder. Like, 'seconds away from screaming out her challenge to the whole hall' louder.

OOC Details

Perception to find the Trant goon squad? - 6

Name
Perception
1d20+3 3