Chapter 1: All the King's Men

Gregorotto

Albrecht_3-removebg-preview.png.87997e0dce83a86835efeda1ba50ec9c.pngLorelei Albrecht

Human Osirionologist Magus (1)

HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | Fort: +6  Ref: +7  Will: +5 | Hero Points: 1 | Languages: Azlanti, Osiriani, Ancient Osiriani, Varisian

As Pace derided both Lorelei and Greyrose, the librarian's fake smile faltered at its edges, but maintained its pleasant curl. But the threat against her family, her friends (no matter how few in number), causes the smile to finally break. Being unlearned in the cutthroat world of the verbal jousting, Lorelei cannot possibly know one of the most important rules: Never let the smile break, lest you show your weakness.

The Countess moves away and Lorelei's eyes follow her and once more their color shows a reflection of a blazing inferno. She is partially aware that Greyrose is talking to her, but her mind is focused on how she might verbally execute this vile woman who not only went back on her promise but dared to spit in their face while doing so. Rory finally tears her gaze away from Pace and looks to Greyrose, attempting to bring back her warm smile. She succeeds, although warm may not be a proper way to describe it. "Of all the awful people I've met today, she is by far the worst." Her voice catches in her throat in a way that indicates she is barely holding back tears, though not of despair, rather, of anger. "I have no intention of staying beneath her gaze, Mister Greyrose. Threaten my family, will she? I'll show her. Just you wait. Yes. Let's go." Holding her small handbag daintily in front of her, she walks with Greyrose through the Senate Hall and away from Countess Pace. "I tell you, Mister Greyrose, I have had about enough of these arrogant noble whelps -- every single one of them! -- turning their nose up at me because I was not born into wealth like them -- because my family name is foreign to their fragile bubble of life experiences. How do you maintain such composure? Does it not enrage you? I feel this welling of...something...inside of me. A voice...It speaks in Ancient Osirion, prodding the flame of vengeance burning within my breast." Her exhales sharply through her nose and shakes her head, "It must sound psychotic, I realize this. I cannot stop thinking about that mask, though. The one I saved from those mad cultists. For some unknown reason, I feel like I have made a grave error in not bringing it with me. But such a thing would be positively absurd, right? Would you have any idea what the meaning of such thoughts could be? Have I merely lost my weakening grip on reality and become maddened myself?"

Lorelei suddenly stops in place and her jaw drops open, as if a thought has just struck her. "Oh! Pharasma take me, I was supposed to tell Juvenal of Malphene Trant! Come, Greyrose, we must find her and stop her from influencing someone of import, lest my continued errors this evening truly crumple Princess Eutropia's chances at progressing this backwards society." She begins walking again, this time at a much faster pace, towards the Courtyard. "I suggest that if we find something of import that could aid us in bringing that vile woman Pace down -- or perhaps make her embarrass herself -- we should take it. She has assured us that she will not be voting in our favor. If there is anything we can do to keep her from voting at all, it would only aid Lady Lotheed in her mission and similarly, ours." They move towards the courtyard, passing through the Imperial Archives in the process. And as they do, Lorelei keeps her head on a swivel, peering about to pick up on anything that might further their goals. "You know, Mister Greyrose, I think I have an idea. Indulge me, won't you? I need to make a quick trip through the Courtyard. I'll be back within a moment or two to aid you with Trant, although I fear I've done little in the way of aiding this evening." She huffs, blowing a loose lock of spiraling auburn curls from her face, straightens her shoulders, and quickly moves to the courtyard. Once there, she spots her quarry: a carnation of Vudrani origin. With a quick movement, she plucks the carnation and pulls it close to her nose to inhale the scent. Yes, it would do just fine in ruining the evening of one Countess Pace.

Her eyes pick up the sight of one more carnation and she smirks confidently, perhaps for the first time this evening. If the carnations could ruin Pace's evening, why not Trant or one of her goons as well? If the skullduggery was good enough for one malevolent noblewoman, why not two? She plucks the second flower and, holding her smirk, moves back towards the Archives to link arms with Greyrose. "I have an idea, Mister Greyrose." She twirls one of the carnations by the stem between two fingers. "I think both Countess Pace and perhaps even Malphene Trant will be having a troubling evening. Hold this, won't you sir? And if you are able, block sight of me while I do this." She hands the flower to Greyrose and reaches into her handbag, retrieving a pair of fine gloves and a small mirror she had used to apply her makeup. She quickly slides on the gloves and sets to the process of plucking the stamen of each flower, smashing them with the handle of her makeup brush, and finally mixing it with a bit of her powdered makeup on the reflective surface of the mirror. "Yes, this will do nicely. Now we just need to find a way to apply it to the skin of our adversaries. You see, the juice of the Vudrani Carnation's stamen can do quite a number on the human digestive track. Especially when concentrated and applied to the skin..." Her smirk becomes just the slightest bit more wicked as she stares at Greyrose.

OoC

Action 1 - Perception to see if Lorelei can spot anything of interest on Countess Pace's person that she might want to subtly...procure from her.

Action 2 - Perception to spot Senator Dou, and perhaps Armen stepping out of a closet/room with his...new lady friend. If she is able to hear/spot the ones who want to shake Dou down, even better.

Action 3 - Making my upsetting mixture of stink-maker juice and makeup.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Perception (to appraise Pace)
1d20+3 10
Perception (to spot Dou/Assailants)
1d20+3 8
Making my sabotage makeup (Nature)
1d20+3 17

image.png.e3e76c1146c91f6f94bf0c398e800fdd.png"I understand the weight of being haunted by voices that no one else can hear, Lorelei." Greyrose replied, his voice calm and measured. "The mask you saved, its significance might be deeper than you realize. Symbols often carry hidden meanings, and our intuition guides us to truths that may escape the logical mind."

He fell into step beside the librarian as they hurried thought the halls, his eyes scanning their surroundings for any signs of danger or intrigue. When Lorelei mentions Malphene Trant, Greyrose narrowed his eyes but seemed to be considering her words quite heavily. "Indeed, stopping Trant's influence could prove crucial to our cause."

As they reach the courtyard, Greyrose observes Lorelei's quick and purposeful movements, intrigued by her intentions. He accepts the carnation she hands him, his curiosity piqued. "Resourceful, Lorelei. Your creativity is as impressive as your resolve. How shall we proceed, then?" He eyed the concoction. As potent as it sounded, they would need to be careful handling it, themselves.

Just then, Hrotha passed by attempting to draw them along with her. Greyrose exchanged looks with Lorelei.

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)

image.png.b15cf55aafc5b827c093790a93993eec.pngJuvenal de Ari-Cato Karthis

HP: 19/19 | AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +9 | Will: +5 | Perception +5 | Hero Points: | Languages: Common (Taldane), Osiriani, Kelish

Juvenal stepped into pace with Martella, using blowing up a floof of his hair as she asked him her question. It was so hard to keep it in that stylish place in-between unkempt and well kept. "Not even a hello how are you? You wound me Martella. I had thought us close enough to at least warrant false bits of care when meeting." Juvenal whined, as he so often did. But to his credit he did so for much less time than his usual waffling.

"I've been making acquaintance here or there. Doing my best to charm those inbetween votes onto our side. Though its awfully boring, so I'll tell you the exciting part." Juvenal leaned in slightly to whisper. A movement he was well accustomed to. "I got a good look at the woman who released those bees a while back. Couldn't quite catch her, as I was being chased down by a coterie of stingers. But I should be able to recognize her again given the opportunity."

"As for Trant." Juvenal said as he pulled back from the whisper and then his expression turned curious. "No, I'm afraid she didn't. I presume you called me here to tell me what manner we will be harpooning such a political leviathan? Or perhaps you've called me here for a more... singular task?"

• 2 weeks later...

Up top, Hrotha passes Juvenal like a ship in the night and Juvenal finds himself under assault from Martella. She looks up from her book for a half second, a small grin crossing her face. "When one is stood up for a planned meeting, they have every right to be indignant, Juvenal. Everyone else came and spoke with me, barring Alexis, but I can hear his singing from up here: I know he's hard at work, doing... whatever it is he does. But you? What were you up to, hm?" She is slowly prodding him, a reminder of the purpose of coming to her: she wants an update on what he's done since their arrival, to which it dawns on Juvenal that she didn't hear anything he said to her: is this magic communication system only one way? Once his update is complete, she nods along. "Good information on all fronts. Our focus now is Malphene Trant, though I haven't the faintest idea of where to begin: she's off on her errand, as are your companions. I wonder how they're doing? Find out for me, will you? Barring that, see if you can find Duke Centimus. Lorelei seems to have made a mess of that; perhaps your charms can soothe that beast, hm? Or, barring that, intimidate Countess Pace. I know she finds you amusing, even if she doesn't show it." Martella stands, and moves to the edge of the balcony, looking down.spacer.png

Plenty to do!

And indeed, there is plenty to do. Greyrose and Lorelei regroup and refocus their attention, now that Countess Pace has made her move elsewhere, and their own focus changes to Malphene Trant. But before it fully changes, Lorelei gets a good look at Countess Pace: that purse on her arm would be very easy to unclip from its leather and chain holster and allow them a look into her inner life. Perhaps a route to follow? By any means necessary, as they say, and spiking wine is certainly by any means necessary. Nearby, Hrotha fails to spy her new enemy and barring that, waves down Greyrose and Lorelei, getting their attention as the trio spies it: nearby, an older gentleman, part of the entourage of Bartleby Lotheed, retches and vomits up his drink on the floor, to a wave of gasps that spreads across the Senate Chamber. Bartelby moves to his companion, helping him up before taking his glass, recognizing the liquor: and then so does Lorelei. The vintage is no less than the Lotheed's own. Martella poisoned her brother's wine. "It's soured. Everyone, I apologize for this disgrace, I will be speaking to my master winemakers posthaste upon my return home." He looks around impatiently, then settles on looking up, where now Martella and Juvenal stand. Bartelby grimaces; Martella grins, and moves away. Bartelby leaves his group and heads for the Servants' Quarters, hoping to find the bottle and dispose of it.

She whispers to Juvenal. "Do be careful which wine you sample tonight. My brother's stock is not what it once was under my father." Her grin is delicious.

Greyrose, Hrotha, and Lorelei all have the same thought: why did Martella want to poison her brother's liquor? How is that relevant to helping Eutropia?

As more people pour out their wine and some even rush to the lavatories, it becomes clear who she was targeting: the more conservative members of the Senate are the ones who drank the wine, and are suffering from its effects.

That doesn't disguise Martella's true goal, either way. So which is it?

Armen, meanwhile, is having an adventure all his own. Dame Lucella Gravinar's eyes were made for bedrooms, and he can tell: and while it's not the worst thing in the world, the goal is to divide and conquer, and so he tells her he is going to freshen up his breath. "Don't stay away too long. After I'm done with you I would want your breath smelling positively delightful with me." She wiggles her eyebrows as he flees, none too soon. Wanting to follow the voices, he heads out and looks for Trant, but hears nor sees nothing. Good for him, though: the cavalry has arrived: Lorelei, Hrotha, and Greyrose have spotted him.

They don't have much time. The foursome need to find Malphene Trant, and quickly. And Lorelei has concocted just the thing to get her off Senator Dou's back... if they can find him.

Out of Character

spacer.png

Map Key:
A1-Arcade of Triumphs (T20) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A2-Garden (T20) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A3-Emperor's Hall (T4) PCs Present Notable NPCs
A4-Gallery (not pictured, above A5-7 but primarily 6) (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A5-Imperial Archives (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A6-Senate Floor (T0) PC Present NPCs Present
A7-Servant Area (T-20) PCs Present NPCs Present

Event Notes

Event: 5

Each Event has a Social Round, a 15-minute or so period where you can attempt to influence a room or a specific NPC, complete a mission, etc. Each time you influence things, you may attempt a check, whose DC I will not provide. Excess points past the threshold convert to threshold points, which help build influence in each room. Per 2e rules, if you go a certain threshold past the DC, you can potentially double your points. You are restricted to 3 rolls per post, and are not restricted by the number of posts you can make per Event.

You'll need to go through each room to find out what NPCs are in what room, or find Martella. You can roll whatever you want to discover who is where and why, though just being in a room, I will provide hints. For the sake of nobility, Armen, Juvenal, and Hrotha can add +3 to their rolls to identify who a person is.

Event 5 is focused on stopping Malphene Trant and finishing hanging threads

If this is unclear, hit up the Discord, and likely there discuss things anyway.

Missions

• Influence the vote in favor of Eutropia
  • Determine the loyalties of the following Senators: Duke Centimus, Countess Pace
  • Stop Malphene Trant from influencing Senator Amadorian Dou
  • Counter the influence of opposition Senators

Alright, that's one round down, let's dive in!

Also, is Martella morally gray? Who knows! Not me.

Albrecht_3-removebg-preview.png.87997e0dce83a86835efeda1ba50ec9c.pngLorelei Albrecht

HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | Fort: +6  Ref: +7  Will: +5 | Hero Points: 0(-1) | Languages: Azlanti, Osiriani, Ancient Osiriani, Varisian

The response given by Greyrose to her explanation of her strange thoughts about the mask earns a look of both understanding and disappointment. "Perhaps you are right, Mr. Greyrose. I suppose we shall only know if we take a closer look into it once this is all said and done. I would welcome your aid in such a matter. Your intuition regarding such supernatural curiosities is unmatched." A gentle smile curled the edges of her lips.

She suddenly squeaks in surprise as Hrotha locks arms with her, nearly causing her to spill the poisoned powder from the mirror. "Oh! Hrotha, you gave me a fright. A-are you angry?" Her foolish question is drowned out by Hrotha's stewing over some insults that had clearly been thrown her way by Trant. "S-so you found her, then lost her?" Lorelei gives a wary glance to Greyrose, just at the exact time that he did the same towards her. "L-Lady Hrotha, perhaps we should reconsider how to approach th-this situation. I have an idea that I think you will most enjoy. What's more it requires...ahem...subtlety. I-If that is alright with you? Look here." She raises her hand to show the noblewoman the mirror with the tainted powder and explains its purpose. Then, she pulls a small handkerchief from her handbag and requests another from Greyrose. After rubbing a fingerprint sized piece of each cloth in the powder, she offers them back and notes the importance of using gloves or avoiding the stained are all together with bare skin. "Surely any one of us can figure out a way to brush up against her during an interaction. It should be more than enough to..." Her eyes dart around wildly as she searches for a proper euphamism for the outcome that is befitting a lady, "...preoccupy her for the evening. There is enough here for me to have a go at it as well, but I must handle a separate matter first." She declines her head politely to both Greyrose and Hrotha. "If you will excuse me."

Just then, the poisoned wine makes its purpose known for the evening and the meek librarian casts a curious look up towards Martella, then watches the chaos play out. Before stepping away from her allies, she comments, "It appears I am not the only one to have such an idea. What reason would she have to do such a thing, I wonder?" The question is rhetorical, as she has little expectation that the woman's intentions would be known to her allies and not herself. Perhaps it would be less rhetorical when asked of Martella once the event was over. "Whatever the purpose, this is just the distraction we need. Find Trant, I will not be far behind you." It is odd to see the quiet bookworm be so decisive and dole out commands as if she were the leader of this whole brigade, but the vengeful flame burning in her eyes as she steps away could hint towards her sudden confidence.

Lorelei walks hurriedly away from the duo, pausing only to speak with Armen along her path. After all, she had just spotted him escape from a room with a strange woman she had not seen before. She offers the young man a surprised expression and a raised eyebrow. "Lor-- um...Armen." It is said as a greeting, but there is a hint of a question in her tone. "I do hope our dear friend Juvenal has not rubbed off on you too much." Her eyes slide over his shoulder towards the closing door to the room he had just exited. She inhales a deep breath through her nose and gives the best smile she can muster in the moment. "If you have but a moment, I could certainly use your aid. In turn, I will offer my own towards whatever task you are on." She bites her lip suddenly and her brows knit inward. "If you are indeed working on a task for Martella, that is." One more quick flick of her eyes towards the now-shut door behind him indicates her meaning. "I need a quick distraction and, so far, you have been a master at drawing the right sort of attention." The determined young woman quickly describes her goals of robbing Countess Pace of her handbag, if only so she might find something that could take her out of the vote, and certainly not because she had any vengeance in mind. In turn, she offers whatever help she can give to Armen towards his goals first.

Afterwards, she moves through the Emporer's Hall and towards the Senate Hall to search for Countess Pace with her arm locked with Armen's. Upon finding her again, Lorelei's eyes narrow. She spies the handbag the wretched woman carries again and hones in on it as her quarry. But first, she will need a distraction. She breaks the arm lock and peers at Armen knowingly, offering little more than a slight nod to show that he should begin whatever plan he had concocted during their walk. Then, she simply walks away from him, opposite of where he stood, so that whenever the attention is drawn to him, she would be behind Pace and could get a better chance at securing the woman's bag. It would be a dangerous ploy, but she intends to swap her own for the Countess' bag, since their size was similar if not their color or make. It would not last long as a decoy, but perhaps long enough. She knew the stakes. After all, Princess Eutropia is in the very room she hopes to perform her skullduggery. If all went wrong, perhaps it would not matter, but she hoped the Princess would understand it was to progress her own cause...Or at least that is what Lorelei has convinced herself of.

OoC

Action 1 - Saving this for whatever Armen needs me to do to help him with Senator Dou.

Action 2 - Lorelei will wait for an opportune moment (hopefully when Armen is creating a distraction) and swap her handbag for Countess Pace's handbag.

Action 3 - I'm going to roll a deception ahead of time, in case she needs to lie to keep up appearances; whether that be to pretend her actions were an accident or otherwise. Kinda depends on how it all goes.

Edited by Gregorotto
Hopefully fixing the error (see edit history)
Name
Steal
1d20+4 4
Lie
1d20+3 18
Hero Point on the Steal
1d20+4 18

image.png.e3e76c1146c91f6f94bf0c398e800fdd.pngAs Lorelei took the lead and issued her orders, Greyrose embarks on his task of locating Trant once more. However, Greyrose's methods were not mere mundane detective work; he delves into the depths of his unique abilities. With each step he takes through the bustling crowds of the Senate Hall, Greyrose's perception transcends the mundane. Intuition becomes his guiding force.

He considers where Trant was most likely to have gone, not in the conventional sense, but in the way that spirits might be drawn to certain places or energies. He moves with an otherworldly grace, guided by whispers from the ether. To an observer, it might have seemed as though he possessed an uncanny knowledge of the unseen currents that flowed through the event. He is navigating not just the physical space but the very essence of the gathering.

Before long, his allies spot him in the crowd, gesturing subtly for them to follow him.

OOC

Okay let's have the investigator investigate and see how that goes.

Name
Perception (Sense Trant's Motive)
1d20+7 8
Perception (Seek Trant)
1d20+7 12

spacer.png

Armen LotheedHuman Bard 1
HP 17/17 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perception +7 | Hero Points 1
Focus Points 3/3 | Spell Slots (1st - 2/2) | Class DC 17

Armen is momentarily confused by Lorelei's accusatory words until he follows her glance back into the room. He shuts the door and turns back to her, frowning. "I'll have you know, Miss Albrecht, that I've been busy preventing one of Trant's aides from reaching Senator Dou. There's some sort of plot afoot; just before you passed by, I heard someone saying they were on their way to 'shake his sorry ass down.' If they aren't more of Trant's lackeys, then the senator is particularly unpopular this evening."

His frown deepens as Lorelei explains her plan. "This sounds rather drastic for one caustic old woman, but fine. Let's make it quick. Afterwards, I'll want your help locating Senator Dou before his pursuers do."

Armen tries to think of a plan as he and Lorelei approach Countess Pace. He doesn't know much of anything about her, and hasn't interacted with her yet this evening. He's also distracted by an unexpected bit of mournful regret for running out on Lady Gravinar. Not that he knew much about the woman or found her particularly appealing, but he's never successfully wooed anyone before, and he's at least curious about what might have followed.

By the time he and Lorelei separate, Armen still hasn't come up with a plan. However, if there's one redeeming feature of the Taldan nobility, it's their love of dogs. Perhaps...

"Countess Pace!" he calls, drawing her attention. He walks up and places his hands around hers like an old friend reuniting for the first time in ages. "How wonderful to see you again. How is that fine hound of yours? Feeling better?"

He tries to fake his way through a brief conversation about this possibly nonexistent canine long enough for Lorelei to make her move.

Once her maneuver is complete, he locks arms with her again and hurries off before the woman notices the theft. "I had not expected you to be so skilled a cutpurse, Miss Albrecht," he notes with a mix of amusement and admiration. "Did you read a book about it? Or is there more to your past than you let on?"

As they walk, he looks for signs of Trant or her other handmaiden hurrying off on a mission, or anyone else who looks particularly suspicious. Or, perhaps, Senator Dou himself. He can only hope this larcenous detour hasn't put the man's life--or, more importantly, the Princess' ambitions--in jeopardy.

Name
Deception for Dog Talk
1d20+7 11
Perception for Mob Stalk
1d20+7 20

spacer.pngHrotha Vinmark

HP: 19/19 | AC: 15 (18 arm/20 shl) | Fort: +6  Ref: +5  Will: +5 | H-Points: 0 | Languages: Common, Orc, Celestial

Current Conditions: None

Active Abilities: None

I Fight the Darkness

There are two wolves inside Hrotha as Lorelei explains her plan. One wolf thinks it would so much simpler just to throw Malphene down the stairs and stomp on her body. That wolf is really insistent about it, too. But the other wolf sees the thought that has clearly gone into the plan here. It is less likely to kill Trant, which is both a pro and a con, and it is far easier to explain away than a thorough beating. Payback without dragging her family's name through the mud. It feels like she should view it a victory but for someone like Hrotha, someone for who action is everything, this is a hard pill to swallow. She takes the poisoned cloth despite her reservations, doing her best to follow the instructions she was given on how to handle it.

It is made worse by having to wash it down with the sudden knowledge that her efforts in the wine cellar were over some sibling rivalry between Martella and her brother. How could making his wine bad further cause they are set here to advance? No, this feels a lot more like being used than doing good work and she stews on it as she moves through the crowd in search of Trant. Rather than trusting her own eyes, she inquires first among the guards in place around the event, as there are likely faces among them she knows.

OOC Details

Asking around about Trant - Diplomacy?

Name
Asking Around to Find Trant
1d20+5 7

image.png.b15cf55aafc5b827c093790a93993eec.pngJuvenal de Ari-Cato Karthis

HP: 19/19 | AC: 17 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +9 | Will: +5 | Perception +5 | Hero Points: | Languages: Common (Taldane), Osiriani, Kelish

Juvenal had lazily pressed his torso against the balcony as Martella spoke. Leaning precariously over the edge, one hand resting half-way underneath his chin. It was a stance he often took when pretending to be bored, as he was now. In truth this was all growing rather exciting. Such delicate games of subterfuge, balancing subtlety on a pin as they ran against time. It was like something out of a copper-novel the beardless so liked. Of course that was only if Juvenal cocked his head, squinted, and exaggerated a good deal. But still, he was starved for entertainment recently anyhow.

Juvenal gave a playful smile and wave towards Bartleby Lotheed as the man looked up towards him and his sister. Then he pushed himself from the railing and disappeared from sight. "As much as I hate sobriety, I fear retching from both ends to be far worse. I'll only sample from personal collection then." Juvenal said, stepping away from Martella's side and shaking a flask slightly with one hand. His special little stash for occasions such as these.

"I hope our next encounter will end with less retching Lady Lotheed, but until then..." Juvenal gave a faint bow and then practically slid on his heels away. He had regained a lot more energy in his step, a distinct level of focus that hadn't been there before. It might have been because a bit of the wine in him had drained away when he saw the spectacle below.

Of course, the truth was a bit more complex and simple at the same time. Juvenal had always hated being told what to do, despised it in fact. Indeed, most of the times he received such orders it was all too likely for him to do the opposite entirely. But on the rare occasions where he deemed such orders as fun and entertaining he might actually follow through. Especially if they came from a woman or man whom he found distinctly enamoring.

That was why Juvenal did not take a sip from his flask as he stepped down the stairs and onto the senate floor. It was also why he cut straight the crowd towards the Countess Pace. Not stopping for any side adventure or other such distraction as he usually would. He figured between the Duke and Pace, the countess would prove far easier to deal with. Considering her proximity to his allies and her own flittering ambitions.

As he rounded the bend of a group of nobles trying carry themselves up before they puked away both their reputations and lunches, Juvenal's eyes settled on Countess Pace. He could see the young lord Armen lock arms with Lorelei and away, something else in Lorelei's hands as they moved from the Countess. In a moment he concluded they were going for the fireball option, blackmail. A wondrous thing indeed! It did solve so many options. But he figured he should at least set some groundwork, likely they would be occupied by the Trant situation a little longer anyhow.

"Countess Pace! How nice to see you!" Juvenal said as he came stepping up to the woman. It was a wildly mundane greeting for Juvenal, but that normalcy only lasted for a moment. In the next moment his hand had reached out to a tray that a servant was proffering towards the Countess, he took the goblet from it, and tossed its contents behind him.

"You don't want to drink that." Juvenal's smile had not left during this strange act. It only became apparent as he leaned for a conspiratorial whisper. "It was from the Lotheed collection. Which by the way, I've heard that despite her announcement was not Martella's responsibility tonight. Moreso her brother's, Bartleby's. Sibling rivalry, hmm? Always nasty habit of spilling out, like wine out of a drunkard's goblet."

Juvenal waved down another servant with one hand as he spoke and when they approached he grabbed a goblet from there tray and proffered it towards the Countess. "Recompense for the spilled wine, hmm?" He said as he offered it.

Name
Lore Politics on Countess Pace
1d20+7 16
Diplomacy on Countess Pace
1d20+7 14
Deception for the rumormongering
1d20+6 3

The hunt continues, and it serves up success where it can.

As Greyrose spends his time looking for Trant directly, Hrotha seeks out information on the egregious young woman, hoping to get a better sense of her. She hears nothing particularly new or novel: she's a bigot, just like her father; she's cruel and pushy, she's handy with that blade of hers, and she's very much her mother's watchdog. While Hrotha carouses to get info, Lorelei, Armen, and Juvenal work the room to begin their plan on clamping down on Countess Pace, though the former two do not realize Juvenal is on his way from above. Armen and Lorelei banter as they can, then spring into action, Armen once again forced into an overly social situation, getting Countess Pace's attention. A fresh face, she looks him up and down and then her face hits a realization: who Armen is. "You're that fellow who made that petty little song about the High Strategos, aren't you? Lord Bartelby's little brother? What gumption you have, I must say: your lyrics were crude, but entertaining none the less, but your skill with a bow!" She smiles, which then falters at the mention of her dog. "Flopsy? Why, what have you heard?!" Panic immediately fills her face, causing her to look around. "Did a messenger come? Is my baby alright? I am ever so worried, I—"

It's enough for Lorelei to do what she needs to do: if she hadn't waited for the mention of a dog, she surely would have been caught, but as Juvenal appears and gets her attention, the panicked Countess is easy prey for an unskilled pickpocket, who makes off with her purse, placed on the railing beside her and looped to her dress on a very tentative hook. As Juvenal gets her attention, Armen fades, stalking into the crowd so the two of them can inspect the contents of the purse: but he still has a conversation to cary on, allowing them to get away.

"I need a drink, do excuse me, my nerves—" As Juvenal warns her against drinking it, she hesitates, then looks at him. "That's funny, I was just talking to young... now, where did that boy get off to?" She looks around for Armen, but cannot find him. Countess Pace pours the drink into a nearby bush, then places the wine glass on a passing servant's tray. "I'm not one to be a rumor-monger, but I appreciate your discretion. Funny how that Lotheed girl keeps coming up tonight. Working the crowd fiercely, it seems: but it's good to talk to someone who's simply kind, and exciting besides, Juvenal. May I call you Juvenal? It's been some time since we've had the pleasure. Take me to a seat and help me? I've been given quite a shock and need a good conversation to distract from my nerves."spacer.png

Diving into Pace's purse, Armen and Lorelei find what they expect they would find: feminine products, cosmetics sans powder, a spectacles case that are quite empty, no less than fifteen gold measures of Absalom denomination, an unopened pack of contraceptives for men, a checkbook, a chapbook telling a story of the Red Raven, a Galtan vigilante of some import and said to be active, if real, and finally, the dirty laundry: letters. A few written to people telling of her impending betrayal of Eutropia and how she will put her weight behind the faction that has a future in Taldor, and one a missive from someone else, explaining that her dog, Flopsy, is ill because it is poisoned: and if she wants to save poor Flopsy, she needs to vote against ending primogeniture. It is an older missive, several days old, but the others, meant for others, have yet to be delivered: Countess Pace, it seems, is on a mission this evening.

And then Greyrose gets their attention, beckoning Hrotha, Lorelei, Juvenal, and Armen.

While the rest have been investigating and committing misdemeanors, the occultist has been hard at work tracking down Malphene Trant in the Emperor's Hall, finding her shoved behind a suit of armor with her assistant and a small, graying man with a ridiculous mustache, the sweat on the poor fellow's brow intense and his cheek quivers impulsively, like a tick he cannot control.

"Dame Trant, p-please, be reasonable!"

Her arm is beside his head, and Malphene towers over Amadorian Dou by at least a solid foot. "I don't think you understand the position you're in, Dou. You got that seat because of my parents' patronage. You're there to serve a purpose. Growing a spine? That's not you. You're going to be a good boy and do what you're told, or you'll go back quivering to where they found you. Do you want that? To be nobody again? To be so deep into your gambling debts you'll never get out again?"

"M-Malphene, I-I-I've made up my mind! I'm doing what's right for—"

"You'll do what you're told to do. Or you'll be voting with a broken arm."

It doesn't take a lot of effort to tell just how much she means business.

Out of Character

spacer.png

Map Key:
A4-Gallery (not pictured, above A5-7 but primarily 6) (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present
A6-Senate Floor (T0) PCs PresentArmen Lotheed
Juvenal Karthis
Lorelei Albrecht
Hrotha Vinmark
NPCs Present

Event Notes

Each Event has a Social Round, a 15-minute or so period where you can attempt to influence a room or a specific NPC, complete a mission, etc. Each time you influence things, you may attempt a check, whose DC I will not provide. Excess points past the threshold convert to threshold points, which help build influence in each room. Per 2e rules, if you go a certain threshold past the DC, you can potentially double your points. You are restricted to 3 rolls per post, and are not restricted by the number of posts you can make per Event.

You'll need to go through each room to find out what NPCs are in what room, or find Martella. You can roll whatever you want to discover who is where and why, though just being in a room, I will provide hints. For the sake of nobility, Armen, Juvenal, and Hrotha can add +3 to their rolls to identify who a person is.

Event 5 is focused on stopping Malphene Trant and finishing hanging threads

If this is unclear, hit up the Discord, and likely there discuss things anyway.

Missions

• Determine the loyalties of the following Senators: Duke Centimus, Countess Pace
  • Stop Malphene Trant from influencing Senator Amadorian Dou

We're nearing the end of Event 5! Let's dive in and finish this up, in one or more posts. It may spill into Event 6, if not longer.

spacer.pngHrotha Vinmark

HP: 19/19 | AC: 15 (18 arm/20 shl) | Fort: +6  Ref: +5  Will: +5 | H-Points: 0 | Languages: Common, Orc, Celestial

Current Conditions: None

Active Abilities: None

Hrotha vs Trant: Round 1

"Oh, enough is too much!" Hrotha's patience with skulking and skullduggery has reached its limit and hearing Trant harass this man for following his heart puts her over the edge. She moves fast, striding forward and circling around the decorative armor suit. With a snake-bite fast strike she latches onto Trant's arm and throws her weight into planting the woman as close to the wall as possible, preferably through it. In that moment, the curated veneer of civility drops and her face tightens at the eyes and jaw as she snarls. Like an animal. And it doesn't feel wrong. Leveling her gaze on Trant's flunkie, she lets words rumble out of her throat.

"Walk away. Don't think. Now!" She lets the anger in her eyes reach her voice as she stares down on the assistant. Content that if she hasn't broken the woman's resolve, one of the others with her will tend to the issue, Hrotha presses her body against Trant as she works to keep that arm locked tight behind the woman's back. Leaning her head to the the side of Trant's own, largely to avoid taking that head to her face, she drops her voice to a hissing whisper.

"Ready to break me like a twig, you soft-skinned clod? Gonna have to do it with a broken arm." Hrotha tightens her grip to emphasize just how much she is not messing around.

OOC Details

Grapple Trant - 20

Quick Coerce on Assistant - 18

Umm. Demoralize Trant? - 25

Edited by DoNotFearToTread (see edit history)
Name
Athletics to Grapple Trant
1d20+6 14
Intimidate to Quick Coerce the Flunkie
1d20+5 13
Intimidate to Demoralize Trant
1d20+5 20

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

Armen LotheedHuman Bard 1
HP 17/17 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perception +7 | Hero Points 1
Focus Points 3/3 | Spell Slots (1st - 2/2) | Class DC 17

Seeing Hrotha take the, ah, direct approach, Armen gives her an approving nod and then retreats down the hall a bit, intending to act as both a lookout and a warder.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry," he tells an older couple walking arm-in-arm toward the corridor where this confrontation is taking place. "I'm afraid the High Strategos' pet giant stinkbug got loose. It's made a terrible mess of the place and the smell... gods, the smell. The servants are on their way with several gallons of lavender oil, but believe me, you do not want to visit that section of the Emperor's Hall just yet."

He repeats the story to anyone who approaches, changing the tale to include other foul-smelling creatures that High Strategos Pythareus now apparently owns: skunks, trogdolytes, a cheese golem comprised of Cheliaxan bourgogne, and so on.

Hopefully, he can buy Hrotha and the others enough time to deal with Trant however they need to and without interference.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)
Name
Perception to keep lookout
1d20+7 5
Deception to Create a Diversion
1d20+7 9

image.png.e3e76c1146c91f6f94bf0c398e800fdd.pngGreyrose watches the events unfold from a few feet away. Trant's crude threats might have been successful at intimidating Dou were Hrotha not presently demonstrating that there was always someone bigger. If brute strength was all it took to get one's way in the Senate, Trant would possess less power than she does, otherwise. Crude threats on her part seemed like an act of desperation.

Greyrose turned to Dou, "You already know how you must vote, Senator. I hope that you can forgive the rest of us for lacking the patience to discover in our own time." The spiritualist does not seem to be making much of an effort to sway the senator. Perhaps refreshingly (if unhelpfully), Greyrose simply suggested that Dou should vote his conscience.

Turning away from Dou, Greyrose returned his attention to Hrotha and Trant. "I hope that there is no misunderstanding here, as well. Threats of physical violence towards a senator right before an important vote would be a serious matter. I don't believe that anyone here would want there to be any rumors of this taking place, not once, but twice." He looked back and forth between Hrotha and Trant to see if either of them would be willing to let the matter rest. There would be no convincing Trant to change her vote, regardless, but retaliation against them for stopping her own intimidation would potentially make everyone look bad. Arguably, Trant has more to lose, reputation-wise, than any of them do.

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)
Name
Diplomacy to convince Dou to vote his conscience and ending primogeniture
1d20+2 8
Sense Motive (Perception) to see which way Dou is leaning afterwards (since it sounds like he was already leaning that way...)
1d20+7 13
Diplomacy with Trant to try to deescalate and avoid a retaliation tonight
1d20+2 12

• 2 weeks later...

The situation immediately escalates as soon as they arrive, Trant barely having time to register who is approaching her and to what end.

Taking advantage of her off-balance stance, Hrotha grabs Trant's arm and pulls it behind her, the joints popping loudly as Hrotha makes a show of it; Trant's words of protest are unintelligible before she escalates into pain, flailing impotently in the orcish Ulfen's grip. "Half-breed, let GO!" Hrotha only holds harder, snarling at Malphene's companion, who backs away and flees, terrified of the visage before her.

Past Armen she runs, the devotee of Groetus creating a suitable distraction that matches his rhetoric for the evening. No one questions it.

Greyrose works quickly, working on Senator Dou and correcting his potential change of heart: fortunately for Greyrose, he had not yet agreed to change his opinion, and from the looks of it, would not: "Have some faith! My integrity is not so easily swayed!" No, but his dignity might well have been compromised: yet Greyrose can tell it is not. Dou adjusts his jacket, looking at a bound Trant. "I will vote with the Princess, as my conscience dictates. And intimidation is beneath Senator Trant; a shame the same cannot be said of the next generation of Trant." It's not true, about Senator Trant and intimidation: it's but one of many swords used. "Gentlemen, ladies, I'm going somewhere a bit more public now." And off he goes, past Armen, his steps hastened but maintaining a modicum of dignity.

By this point, Malphene's eyes are watering from sheer rage, not pain, not sadness, not defeat. She is angry to a fault, but held in such a way, she cannot break free. "You... little green... UGH!" She tries to struggle free, but fails, Greyrose coming to try and convince her to stop. Before he can, Hrotha reminds her who is in control with her words, not her grip, and Malphene's struggling stops: she is chastened in the extreme, leaving her open to Greyrose's attempt at diplomacy. She bares her teeth, says nothing, but stops struggling, her shoulders slumping.

They've won.

A voice echoes in their head. Is it done? They'll be calling us to dine soon, and then the voting will begin. Whatever loose ends you have, your chances to tie them up are closing.

Out of Character

spacer.png

Map Key:
A6-Senate Floor (T0) PCs Present NPCs Present

Event Notes

I will describe Event 6 in detail in my next post.

Missions

Event 5 is completed! Malphene Trant has been defeated and Senator Dou's vote is saved!

Event 6 will begin in earnest soon. Let's move to where you lot regroup, decide what you need to do, and get started on that: Pace and Centimus are the only real ones left to influence that are named NPCs, the rest are just the crowd.

HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | Fort: +6  Ref: +7  Will: +5 | Hero Points: 0 | Languages: Azlanti, Osiriani, Ancient Osiriani, Varisian

As they walk away from their devious deception, Lorelei's breathing is heavy. It is noticeable in the rise and fall of her shoulders as she locks arms with Armen. "Oh, Lord Armen, no! I-I-I have never committed such a foul act of larceny. I- Um...Well, I've read books, yes..." She bites her lip and an anxious expression overtakes her. "Merely out of pure curiosity, I assure you!" She follows with quickly.

Once they are a fair distance away from the Countess and Lorelei is certain she will not catch them in the act, she dives into the contents of the woman's purse. The letters are of immediate interest to her, though she spares a moment to blush at the unopened packs of male contraceptive. She decides not to comment on that, merely clearing her throat and attempting to not touch them as she grabs the letters, as if a mere brushing against them might taint her forever. Her eyes pour over the multitude of letters with the practiced speed of a full-time reader. "My my, it seems the Countess has been swayed into her wicked ways, Armen. Although, I think she may take enough pleasure from her dastardly deeds for us to not completely absolve her of her sins. She threatened my family, after all." She continues reading, and when she's finished, she goes to stuff the letters into her own bag before realizing she had used it in the swap. Foolish. She instead turns and shoves them unceremoniously into Armen's hands. "Here, take these. Um...Please. They do not sow pockets into women's finery, I'm afraid, but they may come in handy. Besides, you will have better use of them if the time comes. Your honeyed words are much more effective than my own bitter stuttering." She gives a melancholic smile to him at that, and for a moment when they are trading the illicit mail, she grasps his hands in hers. "You took a leap of faith by aiding me in my endeavors, Sir. For that I am grateful." Her smile becomes less saddened and more genuine.

There is a long pause before she seems to remember herself again and quickly drops her hold on his hands. "Ahem.. We should-- Well, you know...K-Keep on, um, c-completing our goals...Um..." Just then, Greyrose catches their attention and Lorelei is thankful for the distraction from her awkward response. It seems she cannot even show gratitude without being excessively awkward about it. With two hands holding up her dress so that she does not trip, she hurries to Greyrose's side and nods when he points out Trant. If Pace was foul, then this woman is positively vile. Her mind plays out a multitude of poor endings to possible routes of stopping her intimidation against the senator. But even her mind cannot account for Hrotha's bold actions.

The meek librarian takes a step back and puts a hand to her mouth to stifle a gasp. "Lady Hro--" She stops herself and lets Hrotha do her work while she scans around, searching for possible onlookers. But Armen is already on the move, ready to stop anyone from intruding on the violent show of power. And so, Lorelei is left there to watch in stifled horror at actual violence happening, directly in front of her. She is not even truly involved in the display, yet she trembles with a mixture of fear and adrenaline. What if someone threw a punch? What if blood was drawn? Could she bare seeing such a thing? Actual blood; its crimson contrast against the finery and beauty of the Senate Floor. It might be enough to cause her to faint. Thankfully, the matter is resolved swiftly and Lorelei's respect for her allies, especially Hrotha, grows immensely. Yet, she herself remains completely unhelpful throughout the whole matter. Only when the matter is almost over does she finally move closer a single step and timidly ask Trant: "Did y-you or your kind have anything to do with the threats--" She gulps. "-- Um, against Countess Pace? Who else-- um, who else have you threatened into your archaic viewpoints, Lady Tr-Trant?" She is visibly shaking, but she tries to look as intimidating as Hrotha actually is.

As they gather back together, Lorelei jumps at the sound of Martella's voice in her head. It seems her nerves are completely shot. She isn't quite sure how much more of this she can take. When will she be home again? When can she take a warm bath and sink under the waters to cringe at every single failure she has managed this evening? When can she sit and read, losing herself to the fantasies and non-fantasies of her chosen novel for the evening? "Y-Yes, We ha--" She stops herself, remembering once again that the communication is one-way only. "Curse it all..." She mutters to herself, shaking her head. "What else might we accomplish before this dinner? I think I have done enough damage, perhaps. But if there is anything of use I might do...or any aid I might offer one of you, then please, guide my shaking hands." She exhales an exasperated breath that can almost be interpreted as a laugh, but not quite.

OoC

Not much that I think Lorelei can accomplish, but I will roll an intimidation of some sort against Trant in an effort to see if she will answer Lorelei's question.

EDIT: Yep...a 10 seems fitting.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Coerce
1d20+0 10