Edit History

AbsentWizard

AbsentWizard

There are two particularly loud voices arguing in the Temporary Great Forum, which is more of a large tent. The Great Forum itself was under renovation to replace some smashed stonework and, as typical of construction efforts in the Weak Lands, progress was infinitesimally faster than that of a standstill.

Nearly a hundred packed cliques of ghosts are hovering around/above/slightly beneath the two cliques heckling and shouting at each other as support for their most energetic representatives.

"- there is certainly no possible route that little pinpricks in the universal mantle can possibly affect our lives-"

"There you go with the universal mantle again, Edma. Haven't I told you that it's just a theory - a totally unproven theory with a tiny following - that the stars are actually-"

"There are dozens of us! DOZENS!"

"- some kind of hole in some giant blanket over the world? It's ridiculous on the face of-"

"Everyone very well knows-" Someone in a third clique joins in from nearby, apparently unable to restrain itself from correcting what it thought was blatant ignorance, "- from Pyolygas' Thesis on Astral Candles that the stars are merely burning-"

Edma of Weakhead turns towards the interloper in a rage, "We are DEBATING here. Nobody invited you. And in any case-"

"- balls of coals placed in... it is not a closed debate!"

"- isn't that the same Pyolygas who concluded that the stars are merely tens of leagues above the earth, in BLATANT ignorance of the fact that such proximity and the fact that the stars do not move when you travel violate the basic trigonometric principles of-"

"Edma, WE are having a debate." The original opponent cuts back in, "And we say again that since there is no consensus of what the stars are, then it behooves all of us to find out. This observatory-"

"TIME" A voice from one end of the tent calls out, followed by vigorous gonging. It was largely ignored.

"Amanath, what good is merely looking at-"

"TIME! TIME! I have the Staff of the Speaker and it is TIME!"

The hubbub fades away towards silence, but distinctly with the sound of someone grumbling, "... talking stick, you mean."

"Who said that?" The Holder of the Staff of the Speaker demanded. Nobody answered.

"Better nobody have... Right. The time for the fifth extension for discussion on the current topic has ended. Nobody has moved for another extension-"

There is an unease among some cliques, and possibly a few hesitantly raised hands were pulled down by their neighbors.

"- and therefore we are moving directly to the vote. Those in favor?"

Most of the hands went up.

"Those against?"

Some hands went up.

"By obvious majority, the motion is passed. This Forum will commit to the construction of an Observatory for benefit of the Seekers of the Spears, to start imme-"

There was an urgent, ghostly whisper.
"Seekers of the Spheres. That is what I have said. To start immediately once the appropriations and land designation have been solved. Next item on the agenda: Appropriations Motion to alter the Budget for funding of the Observatory for the Seekers of the Spea- Spheres..."

==============

"My opponent says that it is our unique duty to enlighten all the peoples of the world. But in pursuit of this nebulous goal of enlightening people, they have forgotten that these people do not want to be enlightened. They are not civilized. They do not value democracy, equality, or the fundamental rights of the dead OR the living. Gov, let me ask you: have you always been such a meddler, or did it only start when your last living descendant died?"

A quieter, less-populated sort of debate was happening this evening in the Forum. Gov took a moment to gather themselves before responding with righteous intensity.

"Meddling is how we got here. Meddling is why you, me, and any of us aren't trapped inside decaying meat, underground or in the belly of beasts. Meddling is how an idea grows: that existence is more than just life. The Weak owe their history and their purpose to meddling. Just listen for a moment. Listen to the world. I hear the voices of countless tormented dead, laying in their graves. Burning in pagan pyres. We should free them. We have a duty to free them. We must not rest until rights and freedom is given to everyone in the world."

"You should get your ears checked out. Sounds serious."

"And that starts today. That starts here! My proposal for a Temple of Learning, of Education, will start with one pilot site right here next to the Great Forum. It will host-"

============== 

(D) Action: Build Observatory

(D) Action: Cultural Identity (Convert Holy Site)

(F) Action: Convert Holy Site (116)

AbsentWizard

AbsentWizard

There are two particularly loud voices arguing in the Temporary Great Forum, which is more of a large tent. The Great Forum itself was under renovation to replace some smashed stonework and, as typical of construction efforts in the Weak Lands, progress was infinitesimally faster than that of a standstill.

Nearly a hundred packed cliques of ghosts are hovering around/above/slightly beneath the two cliques heckling and shouting at each other as support for their most energetic representatives.

"- there is certainly no possible route that little pinpricks in the universal mantle can possibly affect our lives-"

"There you go with the universal mantle again, Edma. Haven't I told you that it's just a theory - a totally unproven theory with a tiny following - that the stars are actually-"

"- some kind of hole in some giant blanket over the world? It's ridiculous on the face of-"

"Everyone very well knows-" Someone in a third clique joins in from nearby, apparently unable to restrain itself from correcting what it thought was blatant ignorance, "- from Pyolygas' Thesis on Astral Candles that the stars are merely burning-"

Edma of Weakhead turns towards the interloper in a rage, "We are DEBATING here. Nobody invited you. And in any case-"

"- isn't that the same Pyolygas who concluded that the stars are merely tens of leagues above the earth, in BLATANT ignorance of the fact that such proximity and the fact that the stars do not move when you travel violate the basic trigonometric principles of-"

"Edma, WE are having a debate." The original opponent cuts back in, "And we say again that since there is no consensus of what the stars are, then it behooves all of us to find out. This observatory-"

"TIME" A voice from one end of the tent calls out, followed by vigorous gonging. It was largely ignored.

The hubbub fades away towards silence, but distinctly with the sound of someone grumbling, "... talking stick, you mean."

"Who said that?" The Holder of the Staff of the Speaker demanded. Nobody answered.

"Better nobody have... Right. The time for the fifth extension for discussion on the current topic has ended. Nobody has moved for another extension-"

There is an unease among some cliques, and possibly a few hesitantly raised hands were pulled down by their neighbors.

"Those against?"

Some hands went up.

"By obvious majority, the motion is passed. This Forum will commit to the construction of an Observatory for benefit of the Seekers of the Spears, to start imme-"

"Seekers of the Spheres. That is what I have said. To start immediately once the appropriations and land designation have been solved. Next item on the agenda: Appropriations Motion to alter the Budget for funding of the Observatory for the Seekers of the Spea- Spheres..."

==============

"My opponent says that it is our unique duty to enlighten all the peoples of the world. But in pursuit of this nebulous goal of enlightening people, they have forgotten that these people do not want to be enlightened. They are not civilized. They do not value democracy, equality, or the fundamental rights of the dead OR the living. Gov, let me ask you: have you always been such a meddler, or did it only start when your last living descendant died?"

A quieter, less-populated sort of debate was happening this evening in the Forum. Gov took a moment to gather themselves before responding with righteous intensity.

"Meddling is how we got here. Meddling is why you, me, and any of us aren't trapped inside decaying meat, underground or in the belly of beasts. Meddling is how an idea grows: that existence is more than just life. The Weak owe their history and their purpose to meddling. Just listen for a moment. Listen to the world. I hear the voices of countless tormented dead, laying in their graves. Burning in pagan pyres. We should free them. We have a duty to free them. We must not rest until rights and freedom is given to everyone in the world."

"And that starts today. That starts here! My proposal for a Temple of Learning, of Education, will start with one pilot site right here next to the Great Forum. It will host-"

============== 

(F) Action: Convert Holy Site (116)

AbsentWizard

AbsentWizard

"Those against?"

Some hands went up.

==============

============== 

(F) Action: Convert Holy Site (114)