Character Creation Rules & Questions

yxanthymir

spacer.png

Create your character as normal in a new thread using these guidelines:

- Be sure to read the information section to understand the basic of the setting.

- Select your abilities here. Choose 12 investigative abilities for now, it will be adjusted at the beginning of the game.

- Choose a BondYou can leave it blank for now or create a bond with other player., a VirtueThe most important positive quality of your character. It can be something vague, like fairness, or something specific like "He always fight for a damsel in distress."

It can be just a single word or an entire phase, but explain it in details.
, a FlawThe most important negative quality of your character. It can be something vague, like cowardice, or something specific like "He has phobia of spiders."

It can be just a single word or an entire phase, but explain it in details.
, and a Unique ThingYour character’s Unique Thing is a special feature invented by you, the player, which sets your character part from every other character. It is a unique and special trait to your player, and markedly unusual. The intent is that it provides a special flavor to the campaign and can assist the GM in determining how your character can interact with characters and story in the campaign.

Your character’s Unique Thing should not provide general practical value in combat or outside it. That is not the intent. The intent is to open up story arcs and fun roleplaying opportunities.
for your character.

- Your character must have a name, a picture and a background of at least 2 paragraphs.

You can find general Gumshoe rules here.

You can ask questions about your character or the setting in this thread.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Your choice. It can be inside the spectrum from high fantasy to more leaning towards a modern style. I got that picture using an AI software. It was not the best clothes, but the best overall picture. 

This is good one.

spacer.png

So, I want to clarify - the commoners can't harvest mana, but members of the Order are selected from the commoners, and they have magic abilities. Is harvesting mana and using magic different skills? Is our handler, a hoarder, channeling us mana to use magic? Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Also, can nobles enter the Order? A disgraced scion maybe, or a third/fourth/etc son with no hope to inherit a title?

11 hours ago, madcaster said:

So, I want to clarify - the commoners can't harvest mana, but members of the Order are selected from the commoners, and they have magic abilities. Is harvesting mana and using magic different skills? Is our handler, a hoarder, channeling us mana to use magic? Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Also, can nobles enter the Order? A disgraced scion maybe, or a third/fourth/etc son with no hope to inherit a title?

Yes, commoners cannot harvest mana, but some could use it. Commoners are useless as magic users unless they are infused with harvested mana.

And the second part of your question. No, nobles cannot be an arcane police investigator. They only occupy positions of power. The General of the Order of the Sacred Shield will be a noble.

Even if they are completely, useless the state supports them and try to find a less important position for them, like a handler.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this totally flew under my radar. I know a lot of people aren't used to checking the advertising tab on Baldr yet so maybe an ad up on the old MW site might draw more attention. I love Gumshoe, having come to it through the Trail of Cthulhu and Bubblegumshoe variants. You can't ask for a better system to craft a mystery game with.

You've put some work in here to make an interesting setting and I'd hate to see Gumshoe unsupported, so I'll chew on a concept and get something up soon. I'll warn you up front that I'm much more likely to be a 2/wk poster than a 3/wk but I'll do my best to keep up.

😀

On 6/12/2023 at 1:37 AM, DoNotFearToTread said:

Wow, this totally flew under my radar. I know a lot of people aren't used to checking the advertising tab on Baldr yet so maybe an ad up on the old MW site might draw more attention. I love Gumshoe, having come to it through the Trail of Cthulhu and Bubblegumshoe variants. You can't ask for a better system to craft a mystery game with.

You've put some work in here to make an interesting setting and I'd hate to see Gumshoe unsupported, so I'll chew on a concept and get something up soon. I'll warn you up front that I'm much more likely to be a 2/wk poster than a 3/wk but I'll do my best to keep up.

Thanks. 2 is more than enough.