Chapter 1

fabulist

It was a rainy day in Dagger Point, and the White Skull was crowded accordingly. Many people just came in for the warmth, and only ordered a cheap tea or mulled wine, and the air was heavy with the vapor of cooking and breathing.

A low-ranking member of the town guard was having a lively conversation with some other locals, one of whom pointed at Theo and said something to the guard with a firm nod. The guard stood up and approached Theo. "Good day to you, friend. I'm Herbreth, tasked with official matters. Srakh there told me you know a thing or two about treating injuries. If that's right, the lord would be glad if you lent us a hand in relieving the folks of Porock and Breakstone."

OOC

It's up to you whether Theo is working, relaxing, or not working yet but looking for tasks to help out the tavern.

Theodore Benson | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 |  Condition: Keeping Warm

spacer.pngTheo was lightly nursing some of his own brewed tea just taking a light break after serving several who had come in from the rain using his magic to dry out and clean their clothes and clean the tracked in mud and water. Although his ability to do so surprised some, regular customers were used to the mage practicing his magic and knew the young man intentions were good as a clean tavern often attracted more customers and many gave him a copper or two as a tip for the service.

Theo would turn his attention to the town guard who approached him asking about treating injuries and relieving the folks of Porock and Breakstone. Although not one to turn down aiding others, Theo did have a few questions that he like an answer to before committing himself.

"I have my knowledge and some practical experience." Theo stated "what caused their injuries?"

Herbreth shook his head sadly before answering. "A wide enough landslide to catch both villages in its range. Lots of homes got destroyed, and a few people died. Most got away with their lives, as they had some warning from smaller slides before the real one. Many are injured, though, we need several healers to take care of them without losing much time."

Some of the patrons were listening in the conversation, and whispered speculation about rainfall, pirate curse, too much digging and ghosts evoked by hags started all around the tables.

Theodore Benson | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 |  Condition: Keeping Warm

spacer.pngTheo moaned in sympathy "yeah sounds like you could use all the healers you could get. I'll get my stuff packed up and go with you."

He finished his tea and went towards his room, the tavern owner was at the bar working. "heading off Theo?"

"yeah landslide over in Porock and Breakstone. Many injured" Theo replied "they need as much help as they can get."

The owner nodded almost sagely as if he easily understood the situation "you gonna whistle for your young lady friends to come help? I'm sure they would come at your beck and call" He gained a sly smile. The young lady friends that he was talking about were some of the coven's younger female members who had made it clear they were still quite interested in Theo and had periodically come to the tavern to visit the young man but Theo had warned them not to fight over him and especially not while he was working and for the most part it kept them at bay. Although it had caused some rumors to develop about Theo being a charmer or at least someone who knew how to draw female attention although most weren't sure what it was about the young man that drew them.

Theo made a sour face at the owner "I'll call them if necessary." He muttered "last thing I need is those girls turning it into a competition. Although the kingdom might have already called for them and are just now getting to me."

"True true." The owner muttered "Good Luck Theo, stay safe."

"Always." Theo replied

"Very well, young man. I am glad you're willing to help. There's another folk or two I want to talk to, so let's meet in an hour outside of the Salt Gate."

He nodded to Theo and left the White Skull with a wave to the keeper. As soon as he set foot outside, the rumors about the possible causes of the landslide gained momentum and volume, people loudly arguing for their own truth and dismissing others' theories.

Theo was left to himself in the rising chaos.

OOC

The Salt Gate is to the south-east, the nearest one to the shore. It got its name from the remainder white salt from sprayed sea-water during high winds.

Theodore Benson | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 |  Condition: Getting ready to go

spacer.pngTheo ignored the rising chaos of the tavern guests. He didn't really care why or how the landslide occurred, what mattered was that it occurred, people got injured and it was now his job to heal them. In his room he packed up everything he had and put it into proper storage and cleaned up the room using his magic so that the owner didn't have to and he was done with about 10 minutes to spare. He locked the room behind him and headed back down the stairs and handed the owner the key at the bar.

The owner took the key and said "not sure how long you're going to stay away Theo."

Theo hummed "from what I've heard of the damage its extensive and I'm sure you need the room for other guests."

The owner exhaled "True, but you're always welcome here Theo never forget that."

Theo hummed "oh I won't. See ya." He headed out and headed towards the salt gate.

Herbreth was already there when arrived, talking to others and planning their tasks in advance. He seemed to like things organized. There were three folks with builder's tools around them, packing them up on the cart. A town guard was sitting on it, fidgeting with the harness and reins, and two healers. Several commoners were also helping with mundane tasks.

"Glad you are here, Theo." Herbreth greeted him. We pack up and ready to set out.

OOC

Would you like to interact with them or skip to arriving at the villages?

The little procession started soon. Herbreth coordinated everyone, and he was obviously good at it, as the efficiency of the journey showed it. People knew where to go, what to help with, and what not to interfere with. With one exception, everyone heeded his words. That one exception was a clearly high-ranking guard, who didn't really say anything to others, only occasionally telling off someone because of some assumed slight. From whispered sullen words he was called Kartan the Bitter.

The group arrived at Breakstone in the early afternoon. Kartan immediately had a tent set up for himself and disappeared in it, while Herbreth made sure things went smoothly. Half the village was buried in mud and debris, the people in the process of picking useful things and digging. Many badly-treated people lay around, and the healers quickly spread to help.

Some of them were in a very bad shape, probably because of the time spent since the slide happened.

Edited by fabulist (see edit history)

Theodore Benson | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 |  Condition: At the village

spacer.pngThe trip to the Breakstone village went smoothly. Herberth was a surprisingly good coordinator and almost everyone heeded his words minus a high ranked guard named Kartan who seemed to be a guy who didn't want to be there nor anyone around him. Theo didn't bother the guy, he knew moody people like that were best left alone.

At the village, Theo made a low sigh as he saw that half was buried under the slide. He knew most village housing was unable to stand against the slide and anyone who was in the houses at the time would have been killed so it was best to focus on those who were still alive. Equipped with his tools and magic. Theo went over to where the critically injured lay and started working to figure out their injuries and how to first stablize them/treat critical injuries

Some of the worst wounded were placed in a house near the shore, which didn't sustain any damage. They couldn't at all take part in the rescue efforts, so they were just lying there, waiting for help. Two of them were children, one elder man, and five adults, mixed in gender. Two elderly man and one woman were in a really bad shape, the others would probably live by resting.

One of the children started crying and begging to Theo as soon as she realized he was a healer. "Please, mister, help my parents! They are in Porock and they will die soon!!!"

OOC

To treat someone, make a healing roll. If it is unsuccessful, you can heal the person with a spell. The two critically injured need help to stay alive (DC 14), the others need help to join the work (DC 10). The Medicine DC's are higher than usual, because they've been untreated for a while. Also, Theo's choice whether he spares resources to go to Porock this day (a little more than a mile's walk away).

There are other healers, but they are occupied with other people.

Theodore Benson | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 |  Condition: At the village

spacer.pngTheo exhaled slightly when a injured young girl came over to him and begged him to help her parents. Unfortunately for Theo there was at least two in the house that were critical. An elderly man and a woman.

I will do what I can right now I got at least two that will die if they are not tended to. But don't worry, all the life spirits in the world will guide me to those who need healing and they will guide my hands as I heal them

Theo's hands glowed and he started his work

~~~ work results ~~~

The elderly man was bad off, Theo had to speak some healing words to stabilize the man and restore him (free use of healing word used)

The woman was in a similar bad shape however the lingering magic that Theo generated for the old man worked to aid the woman as well and she was patched up without any difficulty

The other six patients had 4 successful patch ups but two failures requiring an emergency channeling of healing magic. (Two spell slots consumed,) Fortunately the magic worked and they were restored.

After patching up all the patients in his range Theo exhaled in light relief and only minor exertion then smiled at the young girl "now to find your parents. Porock you said right"

Name
Medicine check
1d20+5 6
Guidance boost
1d4 2
Medicine check woman
1d20+5 11
Medicine check 3
repeat(1d20+5,6) 16,17,1,14,1,14

After getting treatment from Theo, the girl was quite itchy, impatiently waiting for the healer to finish with the others. She walked up and down, sometimes sat down but almost immediately stood up, and tapped the ground with her feet.

When Theo addressed her, she instantly set off to the north-east along the shore, chattering to him as she went. "Yes, yes, Porock. I'm Panna. You are very nice, mister, to help everyone. You can save everyone in our village, too, can't you?"

The walk took only little time, especially at the pace Panna was hurrying, and when they arrived, Theo could see that village was about as bad as Breakstone. There were even fewer houses standing, but the ones not buried were in good shape, and sturdier. The wounded were lying in the shade of a large wooden hall, while the inside was buzzing with activity. Folks were pulling apart used building parts, while others were making new ones from the scraps.

A man in his late fifties greeted the two, nodding to Theo. "Welcome, friend. My name's Endrean. I see Panna didn't waste time bringing help." - and he ruffled the girl's hair affectionately.

Theodore Benson | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 |  Condition: Next village

spacer.pngTheo hummed "I'll do what I can Panna, my name Theo by the way,"

When they arrived at Porock, Theo whistled lowly as he saw the place was in as bad a shape as Breakstone. The two would be greeted by a man in his late fifties, most likely a grandfather to Panna considering how he ruffled her hair.

Theo hummed "yeah, she doesn't waste time at all, I'm Theodore Benson a healer from Daggerpoint, I was recruited to help people both here and Breakpoint." He looked towards the wounded "how many we got?" He asked going straight to business.

"Seven who can't really move, and three of them are in danger of dying. Farbal here," he pointed at a man, maybe old enough to be Theo's great-grandfather, who had crack dry sand all over his clothes, "was the only one caught inside, he wasn't fast enough. Hanya and Karol have the fever, that's why we brought them all outside to cool down." The latter two were a young woman and a middle-aged man with calloused, working hands. "They won't hold together long without skillful help."

OOC

Same mechanics as in Breakstone.