Edit History

Paxon

Paxon

10 hours ago, PigLickJF said:

I have a concept in mind, but I have several questions about how well it might (or might not) fit into the game.

I'm thinking of a highly mobile/stealthy scout/outrider type.

So first off, is a character that's designed to not actually spend much time inside The Tank a good fit? Obviously the game sort of revolves around The Tank, so on one hand I'm thinking it may not be a good fit. On the other hand, tactically speaking, having a very fast, stealthy, and highly maneuverable scout unit would probably be very handy to have when your only other vehicle is a lugging, conspicuous behemoth.

Secondly, I just noticed that Hunter isn't on your list of allowed classes, and that's the class my initial idea was based on, so I figure I'll ask here just to double-check: would you consider allowing a Hunter with the SoM Beastmaster archetype? It removes spellcasting and all other supernatural/spell-like abilities. It's not on your available classes list, but does fit your criteria of "classes are limited to those that don't have magical powers or have archetypes available that allow them to operate without magic powers,  and Ranger (a clearly similar class) is on the approved list (with appropriate archetype). However, flavor-wise, this hearkens back to the first question - do you feel it would just be too against the feel/premise of the game to have a character who is based (at least in part) on riding around on an animal instead of riding around in The Tank?

I'm sure I can still accomplish the goal with another class, but my first question still stands, so depending on your answers to these questions, I'm sure I'll have more, lol.

I am definitely wary of that type of character for this game. The premise is built around a tank crew that is working together to serve the tank. Further a lot of that kind of action would end up being akin to a constant splitting of the party, where I'm handling the scouts POV and several actions, and then the tank crew in another POV. Your point is sound about a scout type being useful. I'm going to say I won't outright say no, but find a way to integrate really well with the tank and crew. You would need to spend a majority of the time in/on the tank, with outrider or riding flank sessions as tactical options, not the primary thing the character is doing. 

On Hunter, I'm pretty sure that the Beastmaster archetype will be allowed for the class. I'm going to have to take another look once the wikidot servers are back up to give you a definitive yes, but since there exists an SoM archetype, I'm betting it will work fine.

7 hours ago, Llyarden said:

Given that magic items don't exist in any meaningful fashion, do the Blacksmith's Reforge and Artisan Savant abilities get replaced with anything?

My inclination is to have the Reforge ability basically work with the additional Masterwork rules, so you'll be able to reforge masterwork items into other similarly appointed masterwork items. Similarly I'm going to need to give it another review once the server is back up to give you a definitive answer, but expect some version of that. I'm going to need to take another look at Artisan Savant as well to answer more intelligently. That feature gives you the ability to craft magic items, right?

(Side note, I really like how easy it is to quote multiple different posts on Baldr!)

Paxon

Paxon

10 hours ago, PigLickJF said:

I have a concept in mind, but I have several questions about how well it might (or might not) fit into the game.

I'm thinking of a highly mobile/stealthy scout/outrider type.

So first off, is a character that's designed to not actually spend much time inside The Tank a good fit? Obviously the game sort of revolves around The Tank, so on one hand I'm thinking it may not be a good fit. On the other hand, tactically speaking, having a very fast, stealthy, and highly maneuverable scout unit would probably be very handy to have when your only other vehicle is a lugging, conspicuous behemoth.

Secondly, I just noticed that Hunter isn't on your list of allowed classes, and that's the class my initial idea was based on, so I figure I'll ask here just to double-check: would you consider allowing a Hunter with the SoM Beastmaster archetype? It removes spellcasting and all other supernatural/spell-like abilities. It's not on your available classes list, but does fit your criteria of "classes are limited to those that don't have magical powers or have archetypes available that allow them to operate without magic powers,  and Ranger (a clearly similar class) is on the approved list (with appropriate archetype). However, flavor-wise, this hearkens back to the first question - do you feel it would just be too against the feel/premise of the game to have a character who is based (at least in part) on riding around on an animal instead of riding around in The Tank?

I'm sure I can still accomplish the goal with another class, but my first question still stands, so depending on your answers to these questions, I'm sure I'll have more, lol.

I am definitely wary of that type of character for this game. The premise is built around a tank crew that is working together to serve the tank. Further a lot of that kind of action would end up being akin to a constant splitting of the party, where I'm handling the scouts POV and several actions, and then the tank crew in another POV. Your point is sound about a scout type being useful. I'm going to say I won't outright say no, but find a way to integrate really well with the tank and crew. You would need to spend a majority of the time in/on the tank, with outrider or riding flank sessions as tactical options, not the primary thing the character is doing. 

On Hunter, I'm pretty sure that the Beastmaster archetype will be allowed for the class. I'm going to have to take another look once the wikidot servers are back up to give you a definitive yes, but since there exists an SoM archetype, I'm betting it will work fine.

6 hours ago, Llyarden said:

Given that magic items don't exist in any meaningful fashion, do the Blacksmith's Reforge and Artisan Savant abilities get replaced with anything?

My inclination is to have the Reforge ability basically work with the additional Masterwork rules, so you'll be able to reforge masterwork items into other similarly appointed masterwork items. Similarly I'm going to need to give it another review once the server is back up to give you a definitive answer, but expect some version of that. I'm going to need to take another look at Artisan Savant as well to answer more intelligently. That feature gives you the ability to craft magic items, right?

(Side not, I really like how easy it is to quote multiple different posts on Baldr!)