Edit History

Arklytte

Arklytte

@Paxon Heya!  So, I've finally had some time to start working on The Doc, and I had a couple questions.

1) Oath Against Harm: Given the nature of the world, as well as the game, is this even feasible?  My reasoning behind this is backstory based.  I'm still working out the details, but the basic gist is that at some point in his life, he found himself in an ancient, BeforeTime ruin, and found a cache of books (maybe an old library, maybe a medical college, or simply a small teaching hospital) that he read and was able to learn doctoring from.  As part of that learning, he read about the Hippocratic Oath in a book on medical ethics.  Given the nature of the world, this sort of advanced knowledge would have seemed like 'magic' to him (as would, presumably, anything from the BeforeTime), and in the process of his learning, he incorporated that into his personal belief system, sort of like a totem that he uses to 'power' his 'hoodoo doctoring magic'.

I'm still working out the finer details, but this is the general idea I'd like to run with.  I just dont know if, given the nature of the game, this would work.  I mean, we literally are the crew of a giant tank, fighting to survive in the wastes, and bring a bit of the light of civilization, or at least safety, to those we come across...violence is sort of baked into the basic premise.

My plan is for him to be almost exclusively a buffer/debuffer, with a bit of crowd control...I can do most of that with Alchemy toxins, since they dont really do HP damage.  The main issue I'm having is that I'm trying to figure out if there's any feasible way to make his Flashbangs nonlethal, but I'm not having a ton of luck.  That said, I've not done a massively deep dive, so it's a work in progress.  Worst case scenario, maybe we can work something out together that's customized for Doc?

2) I've been looking over the Alchemist...it's an interesting class that I've never, ever played, though after diving into it, that might change at some point. However, for THIS game, I'm encountering a fairly significant difficulty.  The Physician (Spheres) Archetype removed pretty much all of the basic Alchemist class features, and goes all in on healing and the Alchemy sphere.  They lose Mutagens, Bombs, Poison, and Potions, which means that pretty much all of their Discoveries are completely worthless.  There are a (very limited) number of Discoveries that aren't tied to those class abilities, but most of them are really niche (and not really appropriate to this game).  Even most of the Discoveries from Spheres wont work, since they're either Mutagen focused, or assume you have Spell Points.  There are literally 2 that are of any use to my character, and I can only take 1 of them, since both dont unlock til 6th level (Improved Salve & Improved Panacea, to be specific), and while I can see taking one of them (probably the Salve one), most of the rest are specifically useless because of the Martial Only limitation.

So, I was wondering, since I'd still like to go Dual Doctor, would you be willing to let me trade my Discoveries for Scholar Impositions/Knacks?  Obviously this would give me a couple extra ones above and beyond the norm, but I think it's something I can kinda justify, since Alchemist Discoveries allow one to take Hedgewitch Secrets, and, even though we cant actually use most of the Hedgewitch secrets, we CAN trade those for Rogue Talents, which I could use.  Since Impositions/Knacks seem about on par with Rogue Talents, I dont think it's too big a stretch to trade them for Discoveries.  Obviously, the final call would be yours, of course. 🙂

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. It occurs to me that there are several rather awesome Rogue talents that would totally fit this character. So long as you're ok with me doing the Hedgewitch Secret -> Rogue Talent shuffle, then we're golden. 😄

EDITEDIT: Hmmmm...after re-reading the character creation rules, I'm noticing that Alchemist isn't on the list of available classes.  So...given that the Physician archetype completely removes spellcasting (and pretty much everything the Alchemist has that mimics it), may I still use it? Or should I just pick another class altogether and save us both the headache? 🙂

Arklytte

Arklytte

@Paxon Heya!  So, I've finally had some time to start working on The Doc, and I had a couple questions.

1) Oath Against Harm: Given the nature of the world, as well as the game, is this even feasible?  My reasoning behind this is backstory based.  I'm still working out the details, but the basic gist is that at some point in his life, he found himself in an ancient, BeforeTime ruin, and found a cache of books (maybe an old library, maybe a medical college, or simply a small teaching hospital) that he read and was able to learn doctoring from.  As part of that learning, he read about the Hippocratic Oath in a book on medical ethics.  Given the nature of the world, this sort of advanced knowledge would have seemed like 'magic' to him (as would, presumably, anything from the BeforeTime), and in the process of his learning, he incorporated that into his personal belief system, sort of like a totem that he uses to 'power' his 'hoodoo doctoring magic'.

I'm still working out the finer details, but this is the general idea I'd like to run with.  I just dont know if, given the nature of the game, this would work.  I mean, we literally are the crew of a giant tank, fighting to survive in the wastes, and bring a bit of the light of civilization, or at least safety, to those we come across...violence is sort of baked into the basic premise.

My plan is for him to be almost exclusively a buffer/debuffer, with a bit of crowd control...I can do most of that with Alchemy toxins, since they dont really do HP damage.  The main issue I'm having is that I'm trying to figure out if there's any feasible way to make his Flashbangs nonlethal, but I'm not having a ton of luck.  That said, I've not done a massively deep dive, so it's a work in progress.  Worst case scenario, maybe we can work something out together that's customized for Doc?

2) I've been looking over the Alchemist...it's an interesting class that I've never, ever played, though after diving into it, that might change at some point. However, for THIS game, I'm encountering a fairly significant difficulty.  The Physician (Spheres) Archetype removed pretty much all of the basic Alchemist class features, and goes all in on healing and the Alchemy sphere.  They lose Mutagens, Bombs, Poison, and Potions, which means that pretty much all of their Discoveries are completely worthless.  There are a (very limited) number of Discoveries that aren't tied to those class abilities, but most of them are really niche (and not really appropriate to this game).  Even most of the Discoveries from Spheres wont work, since they're either Mutagen focused, or assume you have Spell Points.  There are literally 2 that are of any use to my character, and I can only take 1 of them, since both dont unlock til 6th level (Improved Salve & Improved Panacea, to be specific), and while I can see taking one of them (probably the Salve one), most of the rest are specifically useless because of the Martial Only limitation.

So, I was wondering, since I'd still like to go Dual Doctor, would you be willing to let me trade my Discoveries for Scholar Impositions/Knacks?  Obviously this would give me a couple extra ones above and beyond the norm, but I think it's something I can kinda justify, since Alchemist Discoveries allow one to take Hedgewitch Secrets, and, even though we cant actually use most of the Hedgewitch secrets, we CAN trade those for Rogue Talents, which I could use.  Since Impositions/Knacks seem about on par with Rogue Talents, I dont think it's too big a stretch to trade them for Discoveries.  Obviously, the final call would be yours, of course. 🙂

Actually, nevermind. It occurs to me that there are several rather awesome Rogue talents that would totally fit this character. So long as you're ok with me doing the Hedgewitch Secret -> Rogue Talent shuffle, then we're golden. 😄

Arklytte

Arklytte

Arklytte

Arklytte

I'm still working out the finer details, but this is the general idea I'd like to run with.  I just dont know if, given the general nature of the game, if this would work.  I mean, we literally are the crew of a giant tank, fighting to survive in the wastes, and bring a bit of the light of civilization, or at least safety, to those we come across.  My plan is for him to be almost exclusively a buffer/debuffer, with a bit of crowd control. I'm trying to figure out if there's any feasible way to make his Flashbangs nonlethal, but I'm not having a ton of luck.  That said, I've not done a massively deep dive, so it's a work in progress.  Worst case scenario, maybe we can work something out together that's customized for Doc?

Arklytte

Arklytte

@Paxon: Heya!  So, I've finally had some time to start working on The Doc, and I had a couple questions.

I'm still working out the finer details, but this is the general idea I'd like to run with.  I just dont know if, given the general nature of the game, if this would work.  I mean, we literally are the crew of a giant tank, fighting to survive in the wastes, and bring a bit of the light of civilization, or at least safety, to those we come across.  My plan is for him to be almost exclusively a buffer/debuffer, with a bit of crowd control. I'm trying to figure out if there's any feasible way to make his Flashbangs nonlethal, but I'm not having a ton of luck.  That said, I've not done a massively deep dive, so it's a work in progress.  Worst case scenario, maybe we can work something out together that's customized for Doc?