Edit History

Arklytte

Arklytte

Heya Pax!

So, I have two thoughts on this whole Oath Against Harm thing.

As you changed it, 2 points with a clear demarcation between Human/Humanoid and 'Everything Else', is perfectly functional, and is something I can easily roleplay, without too much fuss.

If we were to do Sentient and Non-Sentient, that, as you said, makes things more complicated.  For known/knowable quantities, it's easy...Doc is half Scholar, has a stupid amount of Skill Points (8 base +6 INT = 84 points 😄), and access to all Knowledge Skills.  Combined with Scout (which he'll have), he'll be able to identify most things on sight. It'll only be true unknowns that will be the major issue.  The other issue is that it has the potential to impact the rest of the group.  Because, while Doc wont be a bleeding heart type (we are in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, after all :D), his convictions and personal moral code are as hard as steel.  And if the party runs into something unknown, and it even hints at being sentient, he's going to make a big deal about making sure it is, or isn't, before just blowing it away.  And if it is sentient, unless it proves to be truly, inherently evil, he's still going to push back against the rest if they want to just kill it.  He wont actually fight the crew, of course, but it has the potential to make for a real plot complication.  As such, I'd request that this option be raised to 3 points.  It's still not as restrictive as 'no damage to ANY living thing', but it's more restrictive than Human/Everything else, and comes with an inherent complication point with the rest of the party, one that could have real consequences to not just Doc.

If you're ok with that change, I'd like to switch to Sentient/Non-Sentient.  If not, we'll stick with Human/Non-Human.  🙂

Also, on the subject of Oaths. I also took Oath of Humility (no titles, no land, no subordinates/summons/animal companions).  Given the nature of the game, I was thinking that 'Cant take up the Commander slot on the Crew' would be an appropriate addendum as well.  If you agree, do you think that would make it worth 2 points, rather than 1, since that completely bars him from 1 of the 5 available positions?

Also, also, and this is just pure curiosity, why did you knock Oath of Offerings clear down to 2?  I mean, I know it's a lesser complication now, since we get free Oath Points, but it's still a fairly major limitation.  Losing out not only half your initial 'gold', but also half the in game loot, plus having to figure out a way to unload that loot constantly.  Given the nature of the game, we probably wont realistically be able to send it to a single organization/location (unless some group like the Tinker Express Kinghts of Fordlove that name, BTW...I'm picturing a bunch of guys in Fallout style power armour, riding through the desert in tricked out Ford F350's with miniguns mounted on the top of the cabs and big spiked cow-catchers on the reinforced bumpers...all while 'Ride of the Valkyries' plays over massive loudspeakers. 😄 Sometimes my brain goes to WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD places)) offers some kind of secure way to transport materials or wealth.  I had intended on Doc basically giving it away to the needy as we traveled, either on an individual basis (ie giving some poor family of farmers we come across a few scavenged bits of equipment or whatever), or to an orphanage or church if we come across a town.

Anyway...again, just my brain going to weird places, and I was curious.  🙂

Arklytte

Arklytte

Heya Pax!

As you changed it, 2 points with a clear demarcation between Human/Humanoid and 'Everything Else', is perfectly functional, and is something I can easily roleplay, without too much fuss.

If we were to do Sentient and Non-Sentient, that, as you said, makes things more complicated.  For known/knowable quantities, it's easy...Doc is half Scholar, has a stupid amount of Skill Points (8 base +6 INT = 84 points 😄), and access to all Knowledge Skills.  Combined with Scout (which he'll have), he'll be able to identify most things on sight. It'll only be true unknowns that will be the major issue.  The other issue is that it has the potential to impact the rest of the group.  Because, while Doc wont be a bleeding heart type (we are in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, after all :D), his convictions and personal moral code are as hard as steel.  And if the party runs into something unknown, and it even hints at being sentient, he's going to make a big deal about making sure it is, or isn't, before just blowing it away.  And if it is sentient, unless it proves to be truly, inherently evil, he's still going to push back against the rest if they want to just kill it.  He wont actually fight the crew, of course, but it has the potential to make for a real plot complication.  As such, I'd request that this option be raised to 3 points.  It's still not as restrictive as 'no damage to ANY living thing', but it's more restrictive than Human/Everything else, and comes with an inherent complication point with the rest of the party, one that could have real consequences to not just Doc.

If you're ok with that change, I'd like to switch to Sentient/Non-Sentient.  If not, we'll stick with Human/Non-Human.  🙂

Also, on the subject of Oaths. I also took Oath of Humility (no titles, no land, no subordinates/summons/animal companions).  Given the nature of the game, I was thinking that 'Cant take up the Commander slot on the Crew' would be an appropriate addendum as well.  If you agree, do you think that would make it worth 2 points, rather than 1, since that completely bars him from 1 of the 5 available positions?

Arklytte

Arklytte

Heya Pax!

If we were to do Sentient and Non-Sentient, that, as you said, makes things more complicated.  For known quantities, it's easy...Doc is half Scholar, has a stupid amount of Skill Points (seriously, 8 base, plus 22 INT means a crapton of skill points 😄), and access to all Knowledge Skills.  Combined with Scout (which he'll have), he'll be able to identify most things. It'll only be true unknowns that will be the major issue.  The other issue is that it has the potential to impact the rest of the group.  Because, while Doc wont be a bleeding heart type, his convictions and personal moral code are as hard as steel.  And if the party runs into something unknown, and it even hints at being sentient, he's going to make a big deal about making sure it is, or isn't, before just blowing it away.  And if it is sentient, unless it proves to be truly, inherently evil, he's still going to push back against the rest if they want to just kill it.  He wont actually fight the crew, of course, but it has the potential to make for a real plot complication.  As such, I'd request that this option be raised to 3 points.  It's still not as restrictive as 'no damage to ANY living thing', but it's more restrictive than Human/Everything else, and comes with an inherent complication point with the rest of the party, one that could have real consequences to not just Doc.

Arklytte

Arklytte

Heya Pax!

If we were to do Sentient and Non-Sentient, that, as you said, makes things more complicated.  For known quantities, it's easy...Doc is half Scholar, has a stupid amount of Skill Points (seriously, 8 base, plus 22 INT means a crapton of skill points 😄), and access to all Knowledge Skills.  Combined with Scout (which he'll have), he'll be able to identify most things. It'll only be true unknowns that will be the major issue.  The other issue is that it has the potential to impact the rest of the group.  Because, while Doc wont be a bleeding heart type, his convictions and personal moral code are as hard as steel.  And if the party runs into something unknown, and it even hints at being sentient, he's going to make a big deal about making sure it is, or isn't, before just blowing it away.  And if it is sentient, unless it proves to be truly, inherently evil, he's still going to push back against the rest if they want to just kill it.  He wont actually fight the crew, of course, but it has the potential to make for a real plot complication.  As such, I'd request that this option be raised to 3 points.  It's still not as restrictive as 'no damage to ANY living thing', but it's more restrictive than Human/Everything else, and comes with an inherent complication point with the rest of the party, one that could have real consequences to not just Doc.