Edit History

JubalBreakbottle

JubalBreakbottle

38 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Here a question to those experienced players, how do GM usually handle feedback, this is a learning experience for me as well, so I’m looking actively for feedback on what worked for your guys, and what sets your teeth on edge?

Hmm. I love feedback. Let me share some random, personal opinions about play by post here.

• Application process will have a busy period for a couple of weeks and then taper off. Many players monitor the MW Games Ads page, even if games are run on BALDR to generate interest, and some players have developed habits of checking the Advertising page of BALDR. So if you don’t advertise on the Games Ads page, the busy period may be delayed a week or so
  • Players want to understand what kind of game the GM will run in order to tailor their application and test the boundaries of character submissions. By stating the starting position to arrive in town, at 1st level using only the PHB, you’ve answered most of the questions. But some players, don’t always read everything before asking questions
  • Some players will include lots of plot hooks in their backstory, but if you’re running a module, they’re less necessary or applicable
  • The application page(s) of the character is often used as the character sheet, so other GM’s often prefer a specific format which are usually complex formatting (but they look great). Using the BALDR character sheet is relatively new, but some GMs used the MW character sheets, so most players are familiar and use them, too
  • You’ll probably get over a dozen good applications, so selecting the right mix of characters and players will be a challenge. You probably want to select 6 to ensure that you have 4-5 after a few months. RL usually forces one of the players out of the game early
  • Stating your posting frequency expectation is also important to clarify commitment to the game. And develop a policy for late posters, such that the waiting doesn’t delay the game too much
  • Game posting frequency is the heart beat of the game. So pay close attention to it. Besides RL, some times players delay to post, because your last post was not terribly clear how to react
  • Also, learn what time zones your players are in and when they usually post, so you have a feel if your last post is clear enough by the lack of relatively immediate reaction posts

cheers

JubalBreakbottle

JubalBreakbottle

37 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Here a question to those experienced players, how do GM usually handle feedback, this is a learning experience for me as well, so I’m looking actively for feedback on what worked for your guys, and what sets your teeth on edge?

Hmm. I love feedback. Let me share some random, personal opinions about play by post here.

• Application process will have a busy period for a couple of weeks and then taper off. Many players monitor the MW Games Ads page, even if games are run on BALDR to generate interest, and some players have developed habits of checking the Advertising page of BALDR. So if you don’t advertise on the Games Ads page, the busy period may be delayed a week or so
  • Players want to understand what kind of game the GM will run in order to tailor their application and test the boundaries of character submissions. By stating the starting position to arrive in town, at 1st level using only the PHB, you’ve answered most of the questions. But some players, don’t always read everything before asking questions
  • Some players will include lots of plot hooks in their backstory, but if you’re running a module, they’re less necessary or applicable
  • The application page(s) of the character is often used as the character sheet, so other GM’s often prefer a specific format which are usually complex formatting (but they look great). Using the BALDR character sheet is relatively new, but some GMs used the MW character sheets, so most players are familiar and use them, too
  • You’ll probably get over a dozen good applications, so selecting the right mix of characters and players will be a challenge. You probably want to select 6 to ensure that you have 4-5 after a few months. RL usually forces one of the players out of the game
  • Stating your posting frequency expectation is also important to clarify commitment to the game. And develop a policy for late posters, such that the waiting doesn’t delay the game too much
  • Game posting frequency is the heart beat of the game. So pay close attention to it. Besides RL, some times players delay to post, because your last post was not terribly clear how to react
  • Also, learn what time zones your players are in and when they usually post, so you have a feel if your last post is clear enough by the lack of relatively immediate reaction posts

cheers

JubalBreakbottle

JubalBreakbottle

7 minutes ago, Shocker said:

• Players want to understand what kind of game the GM will run in order to tailor their application and test the boundaries of character submissions. By stating the starting position to arrive in town, at 1st level using only the PHB, you’ve answered most the questions
  • You’ll probably get over a dozen good applications, so selecting the right mix of characters and players will be a challenge. You probably want to select 6 to ensure that you have 4-5 after a few months. RL usually forces one of the players out of the game

cheers