Edit History

Arklytte

Arklytte

On 5/26/2022 at 12:16 AM, bwatford said:

No problem.

It is really a case of the old site is no longer sustainable in its current state and all attempts (over the last two years) at bringing it up to date have failed. That is where we are.  Not to beat a dead horse. It is what it is. We would have moved to something, regardless, and this option probably saves us the headache of conforming to all the new and shiny in the future as this seems to be where everything is headed. I mean look what they have done with Windows.  Suffers from the same mobile crap on desktop, and desktop touch screen monitors. Don't even get me started there. lol

We also live in a highly mobile world now and the responsive mobile design can be seen in everything web design related. BBCode as a whole, not just here, has for the most part been depreciated in exchange for html coding and fancy WYSIWYG editors.  They do not do a great job, they never have. But for 80% of the internet users, they do everything they need to do for them. We have a tech background, and we are old hands, so we look at things different. I hate the mobile push for everything.

As far as the editor goes, it is best to never copy and paste anything and try to retain the formatting.  As I put in the migration tutorial in the user's guide. Always copy and paste as only "plain text".  Then format with the WYSIWYG editor in Baldr.  Works every time and everything you create in it doesn't have the issues that copy/pasting rich text does.

I hated it at first too, but I can now make just about any kind of template you want with it in a few minutes.  There is a learning curve to it, but once you get used to what it can do and how it does it. Well then it is truly easier than typing out html or bbcode for that matter and I have quite the experience in html and CSS. At least where all the stuff you could do on the original MW site is concerned.  Tables are a breeze now which was the huge nightmare in bbcode before. And keyboard shortcuts get you most of your text formatting as well. 

Just keep pecking away at it and if I can be of further assistance just let me know. 
Sorry for the wall of text.

Sorry for never answering this.  It's hard to keep up sometimes.  🙂

I hear ya, and I know that MW, as it is, is unsustainable.  Doesn't mean the new site (and the whole Mobile Uber Alles attitude that's taken over EVERYTHING, including, as you say, Windows) is necessarily the best choice.  But even if I, personally, dont like it, it is what it isand I still maintain that the PTB's didn't listen to those of us who had complaints and concerns, but IMO that's been a problem for quite awhile now, and on a whole HOST of issues, not just BALDR...but again, that's neither here nor there, and I'll have to learn to live with it, because I'm not leaving MW, even if it pisses me off 🙂

Thanks for the advice (and commiseration).  I'll get over my irritation eventually...I'll just grumble a lot in the meantime.  Plus, I LIKE BBCode, dammit.  Well, Markup languages in general, really.  They're just so handy for so many functions, and once you know them, you can make so many nice things, though, I agree, tables in BBCode were a nightmare.  This editor is decent at them, but I'm an old school Excel user, so my bar for 'good tables' is pretty high.

But (and this is my inner curmudgeon coming out), the reality is that as technology (especially Social Media) has advanced, we've become dumber and lazier as a society, and it's reflected in how we interact with the digital world.  That's why the prevalence of WYSIWYG editors, et al is so universal.  And old farts like us either have to adapt, or get ulcers, I suppose.  🙂

FWIW, I'm learning, and am starting to get a little better at putting decent posts together.  It's a slow learning curve (and I will honestly never like WYSIWYG), but it's getting there.  And again, even if I grumble, please dont ever think I dont appreciate the help.  🙂

Arklytte

Arklytte

No problem.

It is really a case of the old site is no longer sustainable in its current state and all attempts (over the last two years) at bringing it up to date have failed. That is where we are.  Not to beat a dead horse. It is what it is. We would have moved to something, regardless, and this option probably saves us the headache of conforming to all the new and shiny in the future as this seems to be where everything is headed. I mean look what they have done with Windows.  Suffers from the same mobile crap on desktop, and desktop touch screen monitors. Don't even get me started there. lol

We also live in a highly mobile world now and the responsive mobile design can be seen in everything web design related. BBCode as a whole, not just here, has for the most part been depreciated in exchange for html coding and fancy WYSIWYG editors.  They do not do a great job, they never have. But for 80% of the internet users, they do everything they need to do for them. We have a tech background, and we are old hands, so we look at things different. I hate the mobile push for everything.

As far as the editor goes, it is best to never copy and paste anything and try to retain the formatting.  As I put in the migration tutorial in the user's guide. Always copy and paste as only "plain text".  Then format with the WYSIWYG editor in Baldr.  Works every time and everything you create in it doesn't have the issues that copy/pasting rich text does.

I hated it at first too, but I can now make just about any kind of template you want with it in a few minutes.  There is a learning curve to it, but once you get used to what it can do and how it does it. Well then it is truly easier than typing out html or bbcode for that matter and I have quite the experience in html and CSS. At least where all the stuff you could do on the original MW site is concerned.  Tables are a breeze now which was the huge nightmare in bbcode before. And keyboard shortcuts get you most of your text formatting as well. 

Just keep pecking away at it and if I can be of further assistance just let me know. 

I hear ya, and I know that MW, as it is, is unsustainable.  Doesn't mean the new site (and the whole Mobile Uber Alles attitude that's taken over EVERYTHING, including, as you say, Windows) is necessarily the best choice.  But even if I, personally, dont like it, it is what it isand I still maintain that the PTB's didn't listen to those of us who had complaints and concerns, but IMO that's been a problem for quite awhile now, and on a whole HOST of issues, not just BALDR...but again, that's neither here nor there, and I'll have to learn to live with it, because I'm not leaving MW, even if it pisses me off 🙂

Thanks for the advice (and commiseration).  I'll get over my irritation eventually...I'll just grumble a lot in the meantime.  Plus, I LIKE BBCode, dammit.  Well, Markup languages in general, really.  They're just so handy for so many functions, and once you know them, you can make so many nice things, though, I agree, tables in BBCode were a nightmare.  This editor is decent at them, but I'm an old school Excel user, so my bar for 'good tables' is pretty high.

But (and this is my inner curmudgeon coming out), the reality is that as technology (especially Social Media) has advanced, we've become dumber and lazier as a society, and it's reflected in how we interact with the digital world.  That's why the prevalence of WYSIWYG editors, et al is so prevalent.  And old farts like us either have to adapt, or get ulcers, I suppose.  🙂

FWIW, I'm learning, and am starting to get a little better at putting decent posts together.  It's a slow learning curve (and I will honestly never like WYSIWYG), but it's getting there.  And again, even if I grumble, please dont ever think I dont appreciate the help.  🙂

Arklytte

Arklytte

No problem.

Thanks for the advice (and commiseration).  I'll get over my irritation eventually...I'll just grumble a lot in the meantime.  Plus, I LIKE BBCode, dammit.  Well, Markup languages in general, really.  They're just so handy for so many functions, and once you know them, you can make so many nice things.

But (and this is my inner curmudgeon coming out), the reality is that as technology (especially Social Media) has advanced, we've become dumber and lazier as a society, and it's reflected in how we interact with the digital world.  That's why the prevalence of WYSIWYG editors, et al is so prevalent.  And old farts like us either have to adapt, or get ulcers, I suppose.  🙂

Arklytte

Arklytte

No problem.

I hear ya, and I know that MW, as it is, is unsustainable.  Doesn't mean the new site (and the whole Mobile Uber Alles attitude that's taken over EVERYTHING, including, as you say, Windows) is necessarily the best choice.  But it is what it is, and, even if I dont like it, it is what it isand I still maintain that the PTB's didn't listen to those of us who had complaints and concerns, but IMO that's been a problem for quite awhile now, and on a whole HOST of issues, not just BALDR...but again, that's neither here nor there, and I'll have to learn to live with it, because I'm not leaving MW, even if it pisses me off 🙂

Thanks for the advice (and commiseration).  I'll get over my irritation eventually...I'll just grumble a lot in the meantime.  Plus, I LIKE BBCode, dammit.  Well, Markup languages in general, really.  They're just so handy for so many functions, and once you know them, you can make so many nice things.

Arklytte

Arklytte

No problem.

I hear ya, and I know that MW, as it is, is unsustainable.  Doesn't mean the new site (and the whole Mobile Uber Alles attitude that's taken over EVERYTHING, including, as you say, Windows, doesn't completely suck) is necessarily the best choice.  But it is what it is, and, even if I dont like it (and I still maintain that the PTB's didn't listen to those of us who had complaints and concerns, but IMO that's been a problem for quite awhile now, and on a whole HOST of issues...but again, that's neither here nor there) it is what it is, and I'll have to learn to live with it, because I'm not leaving MW, even if it pisses me off 🙂