Book 1, Part 3: Investigating the Fires

ripleycat

Maria Callus

spacer.pngMaria Callus — Human Monk (medic)

The final burned out clue

Maria abandoned her search of the rubble on the main floor and looked up to see Kyla through the hole.

"Anything?" she asked hopefully, but then seeing the reaction on Kyla's face realized that everything led downstairs. So she climbed down to join those who went down into the cellar.

Mechanics

Action 1:
Action 2:
Action 3:

UsY5rNi.png

Star

AC: 19 (+2 nimble dodge) | Fort: +6 | Ref: +10 | Will: +6
HP: 28/28 | Rebel Points: 0/3 | Perception: +6 | Stealth +7
Conditions

Star cautiously approaches the wine cask, keeping her movements slow and obvious. Seeing no sign of Deadman trying to hide himself further in response, she bends down and gently lifts the canvas covering.

jnqs2g7.png

Dead Guy - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 18/17 Fort: +8 Ref: +4 Will: +5
health-normal.svg HP: 14/23 THP: 0/4 Hero: 1/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

The inside of the cask has been turned into something of a nest. The bottom is lined with ruined clothes and bed sheets. Scattered here and there are bits and pieces that must have sparked enough recognition in the corpse for it to collect them. A mobile featuring terrified imps fleeing toy house drakes, a piece of wood that looks like it came from the ruined children's furniture above, some melted jewelry and half-burned books. Against the back of the cask leaned the bottom half of a painting, only the legs and feet of a man and a seated woman having survived the conflagration.

In the midst of its nest, the corpse sat, staring over at the painting and running the fabric of a dress between its fingers. Judging by how frayed and dirty the dress was, it seemed that the corpse spent a lot of time exactly like this.

It glanced over as Star pushed the tarp aside, face still and grey in the dark. There was no rage there, which was, perhaps, a relief. Reaching up, it pressed the crushed cartilage of its throat into something like a proper shape once more and drew in one of those hitching, ragged breaths.

"Hhrrrk-ghk-gone," It rasped, "Nnn-not ghh-get up."

spacer.pngTemperance - Character Sheet

AC: 19 Fort: +6 Ref: +10 Will: +4

HP: 24/24 Rebel Points: 3/3 | Perception: +6

Ammunition: 16/20 (40 Reserve) | Alchemy Prepared | Conditions

From her vantage point by the workbench, Temperance watched as Star approached the upturned cask. A brow raised, the tiefling instinctively drew in her breath in a hiss as she heard the rasping voice...but calm. It was Deadman, that much was unrecognizable by sound.

Arms crossed under her chest, she turned her head at the sound of footsteps descending down to join them. Bringing a finger to her lips, she ushered them to not speak out too much, pointing to the cask

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

UsY5rNi.png

Star

AC: 19 (+2 nimble dodge) | Fort: +6 | Ref: +10 | Will: +6
HP: 28/28 | Rebel Points: 0/3 | Perception: +6 | Stealth +7
Conditions

Star gently sits down near Deadman. Those near her might notice that her own eyes are glistening with tears which her companion is no longer able to produce. After a while, she speaks to him, quietly. "I know. I know the pain of losin' your folks like that. Of seein'...of seein' 'em killed. Of not bein' able to do anythin' to stop it.

"The pain ain't gonna get any easier. There's always a hole there, a part what died with 'em. 'Specially for you, I guess. Eventually, I stopped thinkin' 'bout 'em as much, but that's worse, 'cause then I felt I was failin' 'em all over again.

"But that pain? I found there was two things I could do with it. I could turn in on myself, hide an' fight an' get revenge. Or I could take it all, an' use it to make things right. To stop other people from gettin' hurt the same way I've been. I know what it's like to be hurt like hell. I ain't gonna stand by an' let it happen to anyone else. Not while I can do somethin' to stop it."

She reaches out to Deadman with her good arm, offering him her hand.

jnqs2g7.png

Dead Guy - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 18/17 Fort: +8 Ref: +4 Will: +5
health-normal.svg HP: 14/23 THP: 0/4 Hero: 1/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

The corpse looked back at Star as she spoke. The glassy grey-blue eye gave no real indication if it truly understood her words or if they could even apply to something like it. This dead thing was rage and pain vaguely poured into the shape of a man and propped up by some cruel twist of esoteric forces outside mortal ken.

In another story, it would have been some horrible thing that Star or the others would have found caked in gore and lurking in a sewer. A dreadful, mad thing to be put down. There was no telling if it even had the will within that necrotic mind to truly divert its rage to something more constructive or if it would always be ruled by a singular desire for revenge. More terribly, there was no telling if it was still on the course to end up as that skulking menace.

Even so, here, surrounded by memories of what it once was, what remained of Guy-Arist Lavigne reached out with the more human of its hands and took Star's. The touch was as cool and clammy as ever and, inevitably, it used a little too much strength when it tried for a reassuring squeeze. It took a few minutes more for the corpse to set the dress aside and usher Star out of its nest so that they could rejoin the others.

"Hn-let-ters," It managed, thrusting a bundle of old letters, many blackened by fire to various degrees, at Rexus. There was little in the way of rhyme or reason to them, seemingly having been mostly gathered up when found and saved out of some uncertain impulse. There looked to be a fair number of old bills and receipts, some holiday correspondence with distant relations, and other sundry documents. Whether there was anything of use in there was utterly unknowable.

The corpse loomed before the living guides it had all but accidentally accumulated. There was never going to be a warm and happy explanation for its presence stalking the living and now that truth was made painfully clear.

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

spacer.pngTemperance - Character Sheet

AC: 19 Fort: +6 Ref: +10 Will: +4

HP: 24/24 Rebel Points: 3/3 | Perception: +6

Ammunition: 16/20 (40 Reserve) | Alchemy Prepared | Conditions

Not a word was spoken by Temperance. Just intent listening as the tiefling's jaw set in her expression. When the pair emerged, her yellow eyes stared unblinking, enigmatic thought processing underneath the surface as the others loomed around her.

After a long pause, the click of her boot heel signaled her turning as she looked up towards the surface. "The day is growing long, and I'm sure our last visits have garnered attention. You should head back to your base before the night patrols set in."

Without another word, Temperance started heading back up, coat shifting with her steps as she departed.

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3: