OOC: Secret Hideout

Brian Skies

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for my absence and my late reply.

This game currently has a lot of bookkeeping, and I initially designed it for three to four players. Adjusting it for one player requires a lot of planning which I've been avoiding.

Basically, I want to adjust it in a way where you can either adventure solo or do things with companion(s). I also want to adjust it to where you aren't going going to have to walk around and capture Pokemon. You've already spent a chapter capturing Pokemon, so I believe earning new Pokemon can be expedited. It would be like an activity that you can spend downtime points on.

While I'm planning on this game being a solo campaign, I am considering giving you the option of inviting one other player.

Currently, I'm attending a coding bootcamp, which has been taking up a lot of my time. However, I believe I've reached a point where I can at least make a simple site to handle my bookkeeping, rather than a bunch of google docs.

I still do not have an eta on this game.

Well, I have time to spare for this game now. So I am currently revamping the game for you as a solo player. I will list the changes here as I go, and if you're still interested in this game, you can tell me how you feel about the changes.

• First and foremost, the other three players left the game and will not be reinvited. Their characters are still in the school, but have been moved to one of the other two groups of students. Your character is unlikely to cross paths with them again.
  • Your character caught a Pokemon in most if not all the encounters, so he will receive full marks for the first assignment.
  • The Competitions are full-contact, tactical combat, or Pokemon contests. As there's only one of you, I'm going to make all the characters participate in the same Competition. Currently, it is set to tactical combat. Let me know if you would prefer a different one.
  • There used to be three Electives to be challenged as a group and one Unique to be graded as an individual. I have changed this to four Uniques and zero Electives. You can still challenge them with other characters, but you will be graded based on your individual merits alone.
  • As the others have disappeared, you will need to repick which Uniques you want to participate in.
  • I was already going to implement a Downtime System for basic activities before the others left. I think starting at 10 DP (downtime points) would be sufficient since right now you only have a few activities you can do (catch a Pokemon, train Pokemon).
  • I will need to rearrange the order of your schedule a little bit.

Other unrelated notes:

• Since you were a group of four, I had the other characters in groups of four. The main distinguishing characteristics were their performance in Competitions and their Unique. Now, I'm going to have all the characters assessed individually.
  • I need to fill the spots vacated by the other three players with new characters.
  • I need to fill characters' rosters and use downtime points based on the first course.
  • I need to repopulate the Unique rosters based on which Uniques you choose.

This all sounds like a lot more than it really is.

• 3 weeks later...

It's okay! I don't mind the late response. I was pretty sure if you were going to can the game, you'd probably say something first; but I do know that real life comes first and it can get very busy at a moment's notice. That coding camp sounds awesome, by the way. I know the very basics of HTML for work, but am hoping to take a course this year.

Thank you for taking the time to revamp the campaign. My responses to the changes:

• Other PCs in other groups/unavailable for interaction: Noted.
  • First Assignment: That's awesome!
  • Tactical Combat Competition: Keep as is
  • Switch to 4 Unique Classes: Noted, and kind of excited for this
  • Pick new unique classes: I will look at the list again and edit this message with my choices
    • Caretaking
    • Survival
    • Cooking
    • Crafts
  • Downtime Points: I am familiar with downtimes through previous games. Will the downtime actions taken cost a different amount of points, or will everything cost the same amount? Will there only be specific actions I can take or are flexible in the downtime actions I can take?
  • Schedule: Noted.

I know that games can be difficult to maintain, especially when it comes to bookkeeping. If there is anything I can do to help lighten the load a little, please let me know.

Thank you again for continuing to run this. I've really been enjoying it so far.

Edited by cbeck785 (see edit history)

Downtime actions will have different costs based on the action, as well as to the focus of each action. For example, you will have a downtime action to catch a pokemon. This consumes 1 Pokeball at all levels. For 1 action point, you pick an area, and will have the option to choose a Pokemon from up to three common Pokemon in that area. For 2 action points, you will have the option to choose a Pokemon from up to three uncommon Pokemon in that area. For 3 action points, you catch a random rare-designated Pokemon that you do not have. Rare Pokemon typically include starter Pokemon lines, and special baby Pokemon like Happiny or Munchlax. Honedge and Litten were both rare Pokemon rolls. I will tell you if you've caught all Pokemon of a particular rarity in an area.

Training your Pokemon will have its own action cost. I'm thinking of having it act similarly to the Ace Trainer feature. I am open to feedback on this one. I want you to be able to train your Pokemon even if you don't receive many opportunities during normal gameplay.

Crafting or creating items would take downtime points. But you have to be able to craft or be in a crafting course to be able to use this action.

There may be new downtime actions as you progress. For example, the Battle Corner (or whatever I called it) will be accessible in the future. I am open to any ideas you may have for downtime actions.

Shopping in your area would not be a downtime action (so if you're in the Academy or Coho, it would be the Academy store and Coho stores). Shopping outside your area will be a downtime action. It'll probably cost 1 AP at most (cumulative for all shopping).

The idea is to allow for more roleplay through play by post without having to spend a lot of time on tedious tasks (catching, shopping, training, etc). I want you to make meaningful choices, but I do not want you to feel too restricted in what you can and can't do. Of course, all the other students (there are 79 of them) will be simulated to some degree, so they will follow some kind of downtime system based on your downtime system.

I have most of the trainers' scores calculated and their Pokemon rosters filled. I'm about 70% finished with those objectives. I can probably finish them up this weekend. I've just been holding off because I wasn't sure if you were still interested.

I am very interested in continuing the game. I'm sorry for the delayed response. Since my last check in, between the holidays and the end of the year at work I was pretty drained when I'd get home. I will do my best to communicate that in the future.

I'm about to leave for work and will read your post (instead of skimming it at the moment) when I get home from work tonight.

21 hours ago, Brian Skies said:

Downtime actions will have different costs based on the action, as well as to the focus of each action. For example, you will have a downtime action to catch a pokemon. This consumes 1 Pokeball at all levels. For 1 action point, you pick an area, and will have the option to choose a Pokemon from up to three common Pokemon in that area. For 2 action points, you will have the option to choose a Pokemon from up to three uncommon Pokemon in that area. For 3 action points, you catch a random rare-designated Pokemon that you do not have. Rare Pokemon typically include starter Pokemon lines, and special baby Pokemon like Happiny or Munchlax. Honedge and Litten were both rare Pokemon rolls. I will tell you if you've caught all Pokemon of a particular rarity in an area.

Training your Pokemon will have its own action cost. I'm thinking of having it act similarly to the Ace Trainer feature. I am open to feedback on this one. I want you to be able to train your Pokemon even if you don't receive many opportunities during normal gameplay.

Crafting or creating items would take downtime points. But you have to be able to craft or be in a crafting course to be able to use this action.

There may be new downtime actions as you progress. For example, the Battle Corner (or whatever I called it) will be accessible in the future. I am open to any ideas you may have for downtime actions.

Shopping in your area would not be a downtime action (so if you're in the Academy or Coho, it would be the Academy store and Coho stores). Shopping outside your area will be a downtime action. It'll probably cost 1 AP at most (cumulative for all shopping).

The idea is to allow for more roleplay through play by post without having to spend a lot of time on tedious tasks (catching, shopping, training, etc). I want you to make meaningful choices, but I do not want you to feel too restricted in what you can and can't do. Of course, all the other students (there are 79 of them) will be simulated to some degree, so they will follow some kind of downtime system based on your downtime system.

I have most of the trainers' scores calculated and their Pokemon rosters filled. I'm about 70% finished with those objectives. I can probably finish them up this weekend. I've just been holding off because I wasn't sure if you were still interested.

Would the Downtime Training that acts like the Ace Training feature replace the specific stat training features (PDF page 60), or be in addition to? Just looking for clarification.

Otherwise, I like everything you wrote. Just had the clarifying question. I look forward to this.

The Downtime Training would be for EXP only.

Students' rosters have been filled and grades scored.

Still need to do the following:

• Fill Unique rosters
  • Reorder Schedules
  • Finish basic downtime system
  • Simulate downtime for NPC students

On 1/7/2024 at 12:37 AM, Brian Skies said:

It seems I was mistaken about the Ace Trainer features. The Downtime Training would be similar to the Training Pokemon feature on page 202.

Ah, thank you!

Also, that school rankings board is really cool. It also gives Calder something to strive for, getting into that top 10.

• 2 weeks later...