Volume I: The Defense of Zusidava

Kavonde

Voievod-SkurnWhen Rehyk speaks of Abbie's talents and significance, Skurn sits back in his throne, regarding the young squire over steepled fingers. She can feel his hard, emerald eyes examining her, trying to look past her surface-level appearance in search of some sign of her hidden import. After long seconds, he frowns and looks back to Rehyk. "I vill take your vord on this, volvan."

When Seba and Salia step forward and Seba explains their actions in Crobyzoi, the voievod watches with a stern, impassive face--save for a brief flicker of sadness at the mention of Sedra's passing. He remains silent as his niece finishes, chewing over her words before he responds.

That thoughtful pause gives another an opportunity to speak, however. He is a man perhaps a decade Skurn's junior, with a single, thick braid running down his scalp and hanging to his waist, the sides of his head shaved bald. His beard is braided into a dozen or so small spikes that jut from his face, decorated with golden rings. Seba and Salia recognize him and his distinctive appearance: Tor, the voda of the Scaugdae. Oddly, even accounting for his striking hairstyle and beard, he doesn't look much at all like his son, Kar.

He stands, looking at Seba for a moment with an intense, angry stare. Given his son's disdain for the would-be heroes, it's easy to assume he means to verbally assail her. However, instead, he bows his head. "I intended to join you, young volves. Along with fifty of my finest varriors. I vas," he turns a pointed glare to an elderly woman sitting at the table across the hall, so shrunken with age that she's almost swallowed by the thick furs she wears, "overruled."

The old woman returns his hateful stare. "You blame me, boy? Your people refused your call."

"Because you filled their heads with lies and their hearts with cowardice."

She scoffs. "I presented them the truth. As I have said, dear voievod," she says, turning to Skurn, "surrender is the only logical option. Look at the realms the Golden Emperor has brought beneath his banner. They prosper! They have peace! Under his rule, ve could be more than vhat ve are. Ve could be vealthy and respected. Our varriors vould be given the finest veapons and armor. Our children vould not starve vhen there is a bad harvest. If ve accept Lucen rule, ve vill know prosperity like never before. If ve resist, ve will know suffering like never before."

Tor slams his fist down upon the table. "You are a coward, Onva."

She smirks, and despite her age and obvious infirmity, there's still something sharp and dangerous in her smile. "Your father vonce called me a coward. How did that vork out for him?"

Tor's face flushes red. Before he can respond, however, Skurn speaks. His voice is loud and clarion, silencing the hall immediately. "Voda Scaugdae. Voda Sabokae. Enough."

The voievod stands and turns to the four would-be heroes. "Ve are gathered here today to discuss how our people vill respond to the Golden Emperor's advance. As you see, some vish to fight, and some vish to surrender. I assume you are here to tell us ve must stand against the Lucens. Perhaps, if you can present a plan for doing so, ve could come to a decision."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

image.png.8bbe572759cd0e0eb3fb10d347b7cf2d.png

Rehyk the Ruined, Hand of Ansegdniss
Blood -1, Courage +0, Grace +0, Sense +1, Wisdom +2, Doom +2

"As you rightly discern, you stand at the crossroads of your fate - and you stand divided, fighting amongst yourselves, rather than preparing for your true enemy."

"I have not come to tell you that you must stand against the Lucens. That decision remains firmly within your own hands. My purpose here is to ensure that you comprehend the profound cost entailed by whichever choice you make."

Rehyk turns his attention from the volevod to the other voda in attendance.

"The Emperor's concept of justice, as you now witness, lacks mercy or distinction. None among you were present at Crobyzoi, and none among you sealed the fate of his sorceress. Yet, he now advances upon your lands, seeking to make an example of you, an indelible mark on the annals of history, a message to the world beyond."

"I too seek to make an example of you, one that shall resonate through the corridors of time, etched in the memories of those who continue to carry the torch of defiance. This is the choice before you, a decision not only for your own generation but for the countless generations that shall follow."

The Harbinger turns his glowing eyes back to the volevod, "So, tell us how you wish your People to be remembered." Rehyk lifts his hand so that the room can clearly see the magical ring he bears - the source of his considerable power, which could be felt throughout the hall. A power strong enough to rival the Golden Emperor? Perhaps, but not without requiring a terrible sacrifice. "Only then can we speak of the necessary sacrifices."

OOC

I guess this isn't quite a whole move yet (or laying out a plan yet) but Rehyk will begin by Talking Sense.

When you speak with conviction and ask someone for help, tell us what you want from them and why they should help you. If they're willing to listen, roll.

In this case, Rehyk is asking them to help by telling him what they wish the legacy of their people to be? If they must make a sacrifice, either way, what are their people sacrificing for? Would they prefer to be remembered as warriors who fight to preserve their culture and way of life or as warriors who were defeated before they mustered the courage to raise their swords?

When you appeal to their emotions or their desires, roll +Wisdom.

8 so...

On a 7+, they do as you ask, to the best of their ability.

On a 9-, you owe them a favor. The more you ask of them, the more they'll ask of you, and they can cash in at any time - even right now, before they do as you ask. 

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)
Name
Talk Sense (Wisdom)
2d6+2 4,2

Voievod-SkurnSkurn considers Rehyk's words, stroking his beard in thoughtful silence. Voda Tor, however, needs no time to reflect. He bangs his fist on the table and laughs. "As varriors! Vhat else vould ve vish to be remembered as?"

"Vise leaders who put the needs of their people ahead of their lust for glory, perhaps?"
Voda Onva suggests dryly.

Tor makes a dismissive sound and waves her away. "Volvan, the Scaugdae vill fight beside you, vhatever may come. Or at least, those of us vith any pride." He turns to look at the other assembled voda and otherwise noteworthy individuals gathered in the hall. He locks eyes with a few of them, hearty-looking men and women all, and they nod firmly in return--aside from one man, a burly man with long, graying hair, who meets his eyes for a moment before looking away in shame. Tor's lip curls with disgust, but his eyes show disappointment and hurt as well.

A young woman stands. She's perhaps a year or two older than Abbie, but very, very tall--half a head taller than the men seated around her. She wears her hair in a long, single braid, wrapped with dark green strips of cloth and thrown over her shoulder. Though her bearing is proud and regal, something about it seems forced; there's a nervousness to her eyes as she looks around the assemblage. "The Napae intend to stand against the Golden Empire as vell, but... ve have other matters ve must settle before ve can commit."

She turns her attention to Rehyk, shifting uncomfortably. "I am Voda Fryssa of the Napae. My mother, Voda Hylla, vas... she vas slain in the forests near the Volf's Fangs. Very recently." She rubs her forearm, putting effort into keeping her voice steady. "Ve do not know vhat, exactly, killed her, but... ve may have found its lair. If it is vhat ve fear, then it must be dealt vith. Our-- My people vill not be safe until it is."

• 3 weeks later...

36b34a376d189c600c9c8488023b06ec.jpg.6674cd14a2e9ba03c41e869d220cf734.jpge3138e4d3eb00f91c7c972f155c893e6.jpg.73d7df050da9d335df656bbd466e0948.jpgAdmittedly, Seba and Salia are blindsided by the affirmation of their cause by Tor of Scaugdae. Their fists and jaws were clenched in apprehension of the fight they were about to have... and not so certain that they could keep their passions from taking the fore. But a visibly stunned look crosses Seba's face, a less-so obvious quirk of one eyebrow from Salia. "I vish I had known, Voda Scaugdae. I might have lent some assistance vith convincing," Seba finally answers, nodding to Kar's father. Of all the people in the room, they'd have thought Tor to be foremost of their opponents, considering Kar's word. Perhaps it was the son who was the coward. The younger sister can't help but cast a side-eye in his direction, followed by a smirk. "And perhaps been less an ass to your son."

Before she can speak further, however, the sedinta opens up about their predicament, stoked further by Rehyk's emphasis on this being the decision of what kind of footnote they wish to be in the annals of history. Would they satisfy their ancestors with the decisions made this day, or would they fall short and find shame. In the eyes of The Pair, some of them had already done the latter and choosing to fight now was not going to regain the honor they had lost. They do, however, sense that it is not time to take advantage of that slight and simply listen. Yes, even Seba sometimes knows when to shut up.

They follow Tor's gaze across the room, as one Voda after another is posed the very pointed, unspoken question. Only when Voda Fryssa stands do they break. The Napae were not unfamiliar to the Crobidae, being their northern neighbors, and both sisters have known the new Voda from childhood. Neither remembers her being so tall, which brings an amused smile to Seba's lips... only to fade away as she delivers her plea. While Salia remains close to Abidora (though it is clear there is no raucous 'danger' to fear this time), the youngest sister crosses to Fryssa directly and takes hold of her hands firmly. "Your mother vill be honored and avenged, though ve have little time. The Napae vill be safe from this threat before ve must deal with the next," she vows, even though war looms very near on the horizon. "Ve are none of us safe, if any of us is not safe." Releasing her hands, Seba looks to her uncle.

"Voievod, permit myself and my sister - and our companions, if they are so villing - to depart for the deep voods with the Voda to see to their creature."

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.8bbe572759cd0e0eb3fb10d347b7cf2d.png

Rehyk the Ruined, Hand of Ansegdniss
Blood -1, Courage +0, Grace +0, Sense +1, Wisdom +2, Doom +2

Rehyk nods his assent to Seba's vow and her request for dismissal. Time was, indeed, against them but the Harbinger saw the wisdom in a demonstration of their prowess. If they couldn't defeat some random woodland monster, which is only a threat to the People who live near its lair, those People should rightfully question the Fellowship's ability to defeat a true threat to the entire world. Rehyk was unconcerned about the danger this side-quest posed. He possessed powerful magic that could ensure their victory although the price would be quite steep, if they had to resort to that.