Edit History

tbgg

tbgg

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 3 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 25/25 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)
Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 4/4 2nd 1/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 1/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

With Ser Michelle

Mery stifles a self-deprecating grin at Ser Michelle's gibe about her paranoid mind. She knows her own foibles well enough to know that she does in fact tend to be more suspicious than the average person and that the lieutenant's comment is not entirely unmerited. 'If she knew what I've lived through and the history I've studied, she might understand a little better why I can at times be suspicious to the point of seeming paranoid about people.'

But the current moment is not the time for such a conversation, and she turns to meet Ser Michelle's eyes. "I am afraid that I am holding on to your handkerchief for now due to the large number of things competing for my attention at present. I give you my word that I will seek you out either this evening, tonight, or absolutely no later than in the morning to further discuss your handkerchief with you, but for now, let me simply assure you, Ser Michelle, that it is my earnest intention to take full responsibility for the damage I caused and to do whatever it takes to see your handkerchief restored to its former glory and returned to you. Moreover, while it is in my possession, I promise to guard it as though it were a precious treasure. Unfortunately, given the current number of tasks on my plate, I believe that I will not be able to get started on arranging the repair of your handkerchief until tomorrow at the earliest. I offer my sincere apologies for both the damage and the delay, and I believe you will understand the need for the delay soon enough. I may have something additional for you when I seek you out, something I sincerely hope you may find to be a pleasant surprise. Now, until I am able to seek you out, I bid you a good day." As much as she wants to discuss the ciphered message with Ser Michelle, Mery fears it will only raise more questions and right now, she just lacks the time to address them. She puts Handsome into a gallop and makes her way toward Vogler and Thornwall Keep.

At Thornwall Keep

Ser Becklin's rapid-fire questions take Mery aback for just a moment, and given the sensitive nature of the argument she needs to make as well as her lack of hard evidence, her mind races as she tries to decide on the best way to respond. She finally replies, "While I certainly understand your urgency, Ser Becklin, there is a new threat I need to make you aware of before I answer your questions. It exists within Cudgel's regiment and I believe this individual has most likely sold out to the Red Dragon Army. It is not Cudgel herself. I only have awareness of one person comprising this threat, although there may be more I am not aware of. Since learning of this threat, I've been asking myself what their most likely agenda is, and I think I've narrowed it down to two things: the first would be to either stop or at least limit the evacuation of Vogler, given that the Red Dragon Army most likely wants to travel from Vogler to Kalaman by boat. If the villagers take most of the boats, then there's no way for the Red Dragon Army to get there, or at least not very many of their soldiers, so keeping as many boats as possible here makes sense if you're them. And I think that their second likely agenda is to kill either you and/or Darrett, but since you're a full knight while Darrett is only a squire, I'd say that makes you a more likely target. You more than anyone else in Vogler have the ability to get word to the rest of the Knights of Solamnia, who can defend against these invaders, and I would imagine that fighting the Knights is not something the Red Dragon Army particularly wants to do. It's better for them if they can take out anyone with the ability to get word to the Knights about what's going on."

"I'd like to discuss this at least somewhat further with you and at the very least let you know the identity of the individual I believe to be the source of the threat, but I also want to acknowledge your eagerness to get Cudgel's regiment into place. Given the source of the threat, I would ask that we do not have this conversation with anyone from Cudgel's regiment in the same building as us."

"My companions and I did in fact stop all of the soldiers on the bluff, and we even took one of their lieutenants captive. We are all fine and I believe they have headed over to start the tasks necessary to evacuate. They are not aware of this threat, as it is something I alone picked up on, quite by luck. I wanted to tell them about it and got as far as telling them there's something I need to alert them to, but then we had some delays and they were rather eager to get the evacuation started so I made a judgement call not to tell them so they could just go and get started. That's the main reason I'm here right now and they aren't."

Mery now gazes earnestly at Ser Becklin. "Now, given my belief that a threat to the evacuation exists within Cudgel's regiment, how would you like to proceed?" She waits patiently for the older woman to respond.

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

17 arrows in quiver, 1 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (2/2 slots): invisibility, heat metal

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

@Kamishiro_Rin Given Ser Becklin's eagerness to get Cudgel's regiment into place, I think I want to give Ser Becklin a chance to respond to Mery's comments thus far before I have her try to persuade Ser Becklin to take the course of action I have in mind. I figure Ser Becklin'll be more able to listen to Mery if Becklin's taken whatever action she deems to be in the villagers' best interests given the new threat. (I'm kinda figuring Becklin'll still want to notify Cudgel's regiment to get into place because I am not aware of any other options for making the evacuation as safe as possible for the villagers.)

tbgg

tbgg

Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)

With Ser Michelle

Mery stifles a self-deprecating grin at Ser Michelle's gibe about her paranoid mind. She knows her own foibles well enough to know that she does in fact tend to be more suspicious than the average person and that the lieutenant's comment is not entirely unmerited. 'If she knew what I've lived through and the history I've studied, she might understand a little better why I can at times be suspicious to the point of seeming paranoid about people.'

But the current moment is not the time for such a conversation, and she turns to meet Ser Michelle's eyes. "I am afraid that I am holding on to your handkerchief for now due to the large number of things competing for my attention at present. I give you my word that I will seek you out either this evening, tonight, or absolutely no later than in the morning to further discuss your handkerchief with you, but for now, let me simply assure you, Ser Michelle, that it is my earnest intention to take full responsibility for the damage I caused and to do whatever it takes to see your handkerchief restored to its former glory and returned to you. Moreover, while it is in my possession, I promise to guard it as though it were a precious treasure. Unfortunately, given the current number of tasks on my plate, I believe that I will not be able to get started on arranging the repair of your handkerchief until tomorrow at the earliest. I offer my sincere apologies for both the damage and the delay, and I believe you will understand the need for the delay soon enough. I may have something additional for you when I seek you out, something I sincerely hope you may find to be a pleasant surprise. Now, until I am able to seek you out, I bid you a good day." As much as she wants to discuss the ciphered message with Ser Michelle, Mery fears it will only raise more questions and right now, she just lacks the time to address them. She puts Handsome into a gallop and makes her way toward Vogler and Thornwall Keep.

At Thornwall Keep

Ser Becklin's rapid-fire questions take Mery aback for just a moment, and given the sensitive nature of the argument she needs to make as well as her lack of hard evidence, her mind races as she tries to decide on the best way to respond. She finally replies, "While I certainly understand your urgency, Ser Becklin, there is a new threat I need to make you aware of before I answer your questions. It exists within Cudgel's regiment and I believe this individual has most likely sold out to the Red Dragon Army. It is not Cudgel herself. I only have awareness of one person comprising this threat, although there may be more I am not aware of. Since learning of this threat, I've been asking myself what their most likely agenda is, and I think I've narrowed it down to two things: the first would be to either stop or at least limit the evacuation of Vogler, given that the Red Dragon Army most likely wants to travel from Vogler to Kalaman by boat. If the villagers take most of the boats, then there's no way for the Red Dragon Army to get there, or at least not very many of their soldiers, so keeping as many boats as possible here makes sense if you're them. And I think that their second likely agenda is to kill either you and/or Darrett, but since you're a full knight while Darrett is only a squire, I'd say that makes you a more likely target. You more than anyone else in Vogler have the ability to get word to the rest of the Knights of Solamnia, who can defend against these invaders, and I would imagine that fighting the Knights is not something the Red Dragon Army particularly wants to do. It's better for them if they can take out anyone with the ability to get word to the Knights about what's going on."

"I'd like to discuss this at least somewhat further with you and at the very least let you know the identity of the individual I believe to be the source of the threat, but I also want to acknowledge your eagerness to get Cudgel's regiment into place. Given the source of the threat, I would ask that we do not have this conversation with anyone from Cudgel's regiment in the same building as us."

"My companions and I did in fact stop all of the soldiers on the bluff, and we even took one of their lieutenants captive. We are all fine and I believe they have headed over to start the tasks necessary to evacuate. They are not aware of this threat, as it is something I alone picked up on, quite by luck. I wanted to tell them about it and got as far as telling them there's something I need to alert them to, but then we had some delays and they were rather eager to get the evacuation started so I made a judgement call not to tell them so they could just go and get started. That's the main reason I'm here right now and they aren't."

Mery now gazes earnestly at Ser Becklin. "Now, given my belief that a threat to the evacuation exists within Cudgel's regiment, how would you like to proceed?" She waits patiently for the older woman to respond.

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant

Class Features:

• Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

@Kamishiro_Rin Given Ser Becklin's eagerness to get Cudgel's regiment into place, I think I want to give Ser Becklin a chance to respond to Mery's comments thus far before I have her try to persuade Ser Becklin to take the course of action I have in mind. I figure Ser Becklin'll be more able to listen to Mery if Becklin's taken whatever action she deems to be in the villagers' best interests given the new threat. (I'm kinda figuring Becklin'll still want to notify Cudgel's regiment to get into place because I am not aware of any other options for making the evacuation as safe as possible for the villagers.)

tbgg

tbgg

With Ser Michelle

At Thornwall Keep

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Heat Metal

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

OOC