Edit History

Gregorotto

Gregorotto

The journey begins in earnest.

Edhelri listens to Rahnur in his guise, but does not look at him as she drives. "A mere century ago, many of our kind fought your kind without a second thought. Few half-drow existed, and while you are not fully elven, you still wear our blood proudly. No, I think the goddess of drow redemption, Eilistraee, has the right of it: hide if you must but nothing will you fear from myself or the Serelims." She ponders for a moment. "What about you, Werond? Will you give Rheirum trouble because he is half-drow?"

The teamster, apparently named Werond Torohar, looks up from going through boxes, then smiles, shaking her head. "Caught me listening in, eh? Yeah, no problem here. Ain't got to worry about a drow who carves as good as you. The drow who can do that fancy murder metal work? That's what I'd worry about." She winks at Rahnur. "Though, never much looked at a half-drow before. You dark elves always so handsome?"

Oh dear.

At the idea of a furry friend, Edhelri sighs. "None save these horses, which Werond carefully helps me with. The dog you saw me with that day in the Gate was merely a friend's mongrel I was watching while she was out of town for a day. When I'm in the Gate I help watch the dogs. It brings me peace. The cats, too. And the hares. And the weasels, oh I love them. But for the rain: we will put extra blankets on the horses and make sure their eyes are safe from the rain. Our pace will be slowed, but we must continue. When the rain ends, I'll check the shoes and give them a thorough cleaning."spacer.png

Elsewhere, Aralim begins to make his rounds about the old timers, who congregate at night when the work is done or at mealtime. They mostly tell stories of the trade ways, of routes as far east as Shou Lung and as far south as Halruaa, what it was like when it was just a SpellscarredThe Spellplague left an indeliable alteration upon the land, called Spellscars. Spread across Faerun, these were dangerous areas of wild magic and antimagic all at once, and often had enough mutagenic powers to alter a soul and leave them spellscarred.

Over the last century, much of Toril has healed, and these spots are exceptionally rare. None are currently known to exist between Halruaa and the Icewind Dale.
wasteland. Jokes are told, often with unkindness, at the youths' expense, but Taliesin Wanderer leaves an impression as an old soul, and thus gets along quite well with them.

That's according to plan, of course.

Evermor is a fond debater, except when Tyjit Skesh is near. That woman is every bit the cliche when it comes to dwarven malcontendedness and is extremely disagreeable. Radecere Perethun is soft-spoken and whimsically distant, though he finds every game of cards that pops up every night. Losvius Longnose is quite prone to joining in debates but loves to listen, clearly reading between the lines. Lucienne finds him not just agreeable but quick-witted, and by him, she means both Losvius "Longnose" (how prone he is to get into people's business) and Oyn Evermor.spacer.png

Edhelri Lewel loves talking about animals but would just as soon spend all her time with the horses. The Serelim brothers, Noorhar and Selvek, speak openly with Rheirum regarding his carvings, both critiquing and appreciating them: they can tell he's a true craftsman. Selvek is mute, and communicates through his brother via a sign language Rahnur has never seen. Werond and Edhelri seem to know it, though: and Werond commands their interest with ease: when she tells her tales of far off romance and adventure, she is perhaps the single greatest storyteller Rahnur has ever met. Much of what she tells is of romance and heartbreak amongst great and mighty circumstances, where it is slave girls of Zakhara, the tiefling Havilar and her lover the prince of Cormyr, or the tragic romance of Elminster and the Simbul. His heart aches for Loren.

Even in the rain, there is plenty of things to keep them all warm.

By the fifth and sixth day things have settled down and Dardanelle begins trying to sell her services to people. She finds little success on the first day, given her behavior on the days prior (right as many agree they were), but come the sixth day, she has two takers: Sulesdeg, called the Pole, and a curious, vain, and successful driver and caravan leader, Achreny Ulyeltin. Sulesdeg is massive, the tallest human Wendy has ever seen, and his face is likewise long and grim, but he tells jokes at his own speed. Achreny, meanwhile, is jovial... but smells awful, worse than his animals. Picking his ears and nose, belching, he is uncouth and uncivilized, yet his joviality almost makes up for it.

Almost.

Both pay well and say they will spread word.

Day 3: Animal Abuse

The standoff immediately draws attention, as Edhelri and Werond stand against Dravish and his two henchmen. Every cart seems to have someone come to the inner circle, and in the case of Dardanelle's cart, most of them. Lucienne says she needs to take this opportunity to take care of business, so to speak, and heads onward, taking advantage of the distraction to investigate the lead cards more: how good was Selebon's intel regarding the Cult?spacer.png

Dravish is unimpressed at first when Dardanelle steps up, but her words begin to have an effect on him, particularly when Theodoric speaks up beside her. Though he is not part of their original group, he acts as if he always was, stepping up and flourishing as he instills fear in Dravish's minions enough that they back up. Dravish is not quite ready, though he draws no weapon and his lip quivers, it is not until Wendibear appears that he not just shows fear but falls flat from his horse, staring at the bear and the strange gleam in the holy man's eyes. Immediately Rheirum steps in, offering to try and negotiate a middle path. While Taliesin tries to do the same, Rheirum steps up and somehow his words manage to cut through. The knight and mage step up and draw weapons to defend their patron, Dravish adjusting his clothes and cleaning himself off. "T-take the damn thing. I care not: I have two more. You can shove it up Mother Earth's crevice for all I care: or perhaps this elf needs this horse because she's bored of getting off with her other two, the way she handles the damned things. Ninnywithers: your horse is mine, you'll be on the caravan proper from here on out."

The knight does not flinch at the discourtesy.

As the knight begins to mount the horse, he looks at Edhelri, then at Dardenlle, and points. "Mark my words, you vile green scum: you will live to regret this."

Elsewhere, the lead wagons are as distracted as the rest, and Lucienne finds herself in stealthy company as she heads to the nearest of the first five carts, investigating it. She comes close enough to see what the manifest says: the cart is covered in lumber, unworked and worked alike, even some minor carvings of decent quality. Buried under these, however, Daniella sees something of note: lockboxes, chained and with fine golden lock pads. There are eight in total, and even trying to move them, as she is close enough, she cannot do that: they are packed full of goods. Not testing her luck, Dani becomes Lucienne again and heads back

As she does so, and Wendy, Theodoric, Aralim, and Rahnur all hear this too, and Belmund too among the crowd: most people are completely impressed with Dardanelle, Theodoric, Taliesin, and Rheirum, particularly the paladin and the archer. The bravery and heroism therein was impressive to the core. Evermor's challenge to Lucienne that night is whether heroism is common or noble in and of itself, and what makes a noble fit for rule.

Day 4: Payback

Oyn Evermor considers Lucienne's words, smiling through most of them save for the last. "You make a convincing point. On the one hand, there's the solidarity of the code of the road: a soul like this is lost because she sold her soul to bandits. But that could be a cover to hide the truth: trusting that no one would pick up such a soul, her attackers could have left the note to deter people from helping save her. That's more thought than I would have wanted to put into it on my own. Confound you, woman."spacer.png

The last cart begins to help her out before a debate breaks out. While Belmund cannot recall exactly where he's seen that face, he's almost certain he has before. Wendy begins to dig and Aralim too, while Theodoric begins to test her as Wendy's berries perk her up. "Please... water. Water." When given, she sighs, seeming more awake. The earth that holds her smells terrible and soon so too does she, the woman freed and it is then that Wendy notices it: the tattoo on her arm. Harpers wear their emblem in all kinds of ways, and this is no exception, being a tattoo. Asked what happened, she answers their questions with grace and a hoarse mouth. "Sniffing around a wagon I should've have for too long. Paid for it. These berries are good; are you a mage, miss?"spacer.png

Once freed, she is too weak to stand on her own, though the berries are giving her vitality a raise. She explains her tale: she ran afoul of her fellow travelers when she discovered something about them in a caravan five days' ride ahead of them. She does not say what, but claims that she was beaten and a story concocted about her consulting with bandits. Thus, the sign beside her, which, once vitality returns to her, she breaks. "By rights I shouldn't be alive, but I have you lot to thank. I have a meeting I'm late for in Waterdeep, is there any way I can bother you lot for a ride? I'll pull my own weight, and I'm handy with a blade if you've got one for me."

That night, she is well enough to bathe, to help cook, and she comes out the cleaner for it. Imsa whistles at her return from a nearby creek. "Cleans up real well, huh? I wouldn't have saved her, but you lot did good. Says a lot about you." She says this looking primarily at Dardanelle. The woman, whose name is Carlona Amoffel, wears a shirt she borrowed from Werond which covers her tattoo, which at no point does she downplay or even address unless asked, then she plays it off as a "family mark" for her clan out of Silverymoon. Unlikely.spacer.png

Three souls are acutely aware of the shift in the caravan's mood that evenfeast: Rahnur, Dani, and Aralim. Dani has set a fire in Evermor's mind, who keeps the debate ongoing throughout the day and into the night. Indeed, Rahnur hears much the same from other carts (though not his own): that the woman Carlona is a liability to the caravan, that the last wagon is now holding a dangerous criminal that will bring retribution down on them all. Yet, after yesterday's show of moral righteousness against Dravish, it's hard to not see them in a positive light ("bleeding heart" is the word used by Achreny Ulyeltin, Aralim hears as he travels to the old timers). Time will tell, but whose lives will it cost?

When Taliesin begins carousing amongst the older folk, he hones in on two from the same wagon Dani spied on the day before, with Silent Piter and "Bloody" Barbarna. While the latter is not particularly elderly, like Aralim she moves among them listening, laughing, and interjecting as she can. Tonight, she interjects, with Piter nodding along. "Can't afford kindness on a trip like this. We oughta march back there and put her down ourselves." Taliesin, not yet seen or heard, interjects and whatever his words, he stops the lynch mob where it stands and many of the old timers agree. Piter does not reply, living up to his name still, while Barbarna shakes her head. "Who knows, when bad things happen, maybe we'll know who did it faster than we might otherwise ought to of. That's all I'm sayin'."

Day 5: The Golden Stag

spacer.pngWhile Theodoric and Aralim know it is a bad omen to kill a stag such as this, Rahnur knows much more.

Rahnur requires no moment to remember where they are and what this is. He's heard stories of the Golden Stag of Bendrylsted since he was a boy, told to him by his father, by his father's friends. The stag is believed by the farmers and artisans of the stretch of land where they are, called Bendrylsted, to bring fertility to the land and good luck to all traders and creators of goods. Hunting it would doom them all. This story he tells to Edhelri, to Werond and the elven twins, and the story begins to spread. When Dani and Aralim hear it, Lucienne and Taliesin lean into it to convince the caravan members to continue onward and not hunt the thing. The hunt, organized by Dravish, by Achreny Ulyeltin, and by the Tusk brothers from the third wagon, comes to a screeching halt with Taliesin's warning that the caravan will be doomed. Bloody Barbarna huffs as she begins to walk away. "What, like saving that caravan traitor?" Her argument does not get very far.

By the time Taliesin and Lucienne are done, only Dravish, his minions, and the Tusks remain on the hunt. Achreny approaches the duo with a sigh, smelling of horse piss and strong cheese. "Right bastards for stopping us, but right for doin' so."

When hunters return to the caravan, which moved on far beyond Bendrylsted by night, they do so empty handed.

That night, Rahnur dreams of the Golden Stag of Bendrylsted: he steps onto the cobbles beneath an ancient tree, and in his place appears a copper-skinned elf who speaks a tongue he cannot understand. Above the moon and sun do a dance across the horizon in rapid succession, as if the massive passing of days and nights across millennia. There is comprehension despite the lack of understanding: the longing for a kingdom long lost, the way to end pain by reuniting with something.

Day 8: Spider Woods

⚔ Round I ⚔

An arrow alone breaks; bundled with others, it is unbreakable.

spacer.pngWhile many carts prepare to defend themselves, the Heroes of Greenest let their true flags fly as they charge into battle, joined by Carlona and by Sulesdeg the Pole, the Shaaran warrior who leads the guards of Achreny Ulyetin's two wagons in the middle. Rahnur and Dani hear him roar as he draws his sword at least as long as Aralim. "Protect the second wagon, get Ulyetin to safety! They are after the horses!" The two other guards obey with Achreny screaming that it is of the utmost importance to protect his goods. The half-drow and human noble soon join him while behind them charges Wendibear, Belmund, Theodoric, Carlona, and Aralim, putting down the ploughshare for the sword.

Ettercaps: a more disgusting arachnid abomination does not exist this side of the Demonweb Pits. Two go for the horses while the third and the two massive spiders hold off Sulesdeg and offer resistance to the incognito Heroes of Greenest. As Wendibear prepares to attack and the armor of Agathys comes to Theodoric's aide, the Pole is overtaken by the lead ettercap and one of the giant spiders, the other hissing at the oncoming bear. Though the spider attempts to poison him, the Pole pulls away from the wound; poison splatters on his Shaaran armor as blood mars his form now.

Then comes the crash. Wendibear's maw fails to find the ettercap, but her claws certainly do, sending chunks of discolored flesh flying but not killing the thing: not at all. Rahnur fires off a shot that catches the spider that missed Sulesdeg in the thorax, almost severing a leg. Dani, Belmund, and Aralim prepare to join the fray with Carlona, now outfitted in a leather jerkin and wielding two blades, prepares to as well.

Just then, the bridle and yoke holding the two horses breaks: the two ettercaps prepare to flee into the woods with the horses!

Out of Character

No map, pure TotM
Initiative
Spiders9
Party8.5

Allies
Sulesdeg-AC 16, 53/65 HP
Carlona-AC 16, 51/51 HP

Enemies
Ettercap 1-AC 13, 36/44 HP
Ettercap 2-AC 13, 44/44 HP
Ettercap 3-AC 13, 44/44 HP
Giant Spider 1-AC 14, 19/26 HP
Giant Spider 2-AC 14, 26/26 HP

Out of Character

spacer.png
Caravan Stats
85/84 Travelers
12/12 Wagons
8/60 days passed
Caravan Members

Woo!

General rules:

• Influencing the Caravan is an optional rule you can use, as conflict may potentially come up and other caravaneers may help you out if you're friendly with them. Persuasion, Deception, etc. come to mind. If a wagon or individual members of a wagon are friendly towards you, you may get support. The Dc will depend on who you're trying to influence and how. If you want to learn about a NPC or wagon beforehand, you have the manifest and thus list of names and goods, but influencing people is a different matter. Green Imsa is friendly to everyone, but Evermor is only friendly to Dani, for example. Imsa is one person, but Evermor has a whole wagon. Some cart drivers will be downright hostile, thus influencing individual people makes more sense.
  • I'm giving everyone Inspiration based on their wonderful roleplaying and putting up with this silly format. If you already have Inspiration, too bad, you get it again but it just deletes the old one; spend that shit. If you want specifics:
    • Wendy, for being a fierce mama bear against Dravish
    • Theodoric for the same, complete with spooky glows
    • Dani for her wonderful argument with Evermor regarding pragmatism and kindness
    • Belmund for his approach to Carlona despite his rolls
    • Aralim for his investigation skills and getting in good with the elders/CotD folk
    • Rahnur for trying to make peace in heated moments

Day 4:

• I can provide guidance on revealing to Carlona most of you are Harpers and what you're doing. If you plan on doing so, I can reveal further information as you like; if you rolled Insight already, I'll provide answers accordingly to confirm or deny trust.

Day 5:

• Rahnur, Dani, and Aralim has bless on them for 5 days. Use it wisely.

Day 8:

• Is this the first combat of Chapter 4? Good Lord.
  • Dani gets an extra action for her Round 1, on account of her cart being closer.
  • We won't be using a map here, so create your own image. The two ettercaps stealing the horses are about 15 feet from the ettercap and two spiders holding off Wendibear and the party. Going around them normally will provoke an Opportunity Attack but taking the long route (25 feet) will not.
  • If anyone is interested in controlling Sulesdeg or Carlona, feel free to roll without modifiers and I'll manage the damage and modifiers. Not revealing their stat blocks since I'm frankensteining Sulesdeg and dropping the HP of Carlona. At some point we need to discuss Party NPCs and Sidekick rules, I think.
Gregorotto

Gregorotto

The journey begins in earnest.

Edhelri listens to Rahnur in his guise, but does not look at him as she drives. "A mere century ago, many of our kind fought your kind without a second thought. Few half-drow existed, and while you are not fully elven, you still wear our blood proudly. No, I think the goddess of drow redemption, Eilistraee, has the right of it: hide if you must but nothing will you fear from myself or the Serelims." She ponders for a moment. "What about you, Werond? Will you give Rheirum trouble because he is half-drow?"

The teamster, apparently named Werond Torohar, looks up from going through boxes, then smiles, shaking her head. "Caught me listening in, eh? Yeah, no problem here. Ain't got to worry about a drow who carves as good as you. The drow who can do that fancy murder metal work? That's what I'd worry about." She winks at Rahnur. "Though, never much looked at a half-drow before. You dark elves always so handsome?"

Oh dear.

At the idea of a furry friend, Edhelri sighs. "None save these horses, which Werond carefully helps me with. The dog you saw me with that day in the Gate was merely a friend's mongrel I was watching while she was out of town for a day. When I'm in the Gate I help watch the dogs. It brings me peace. The cats, too. And the hares. And the weasels, oh I love them. But for the rain: we will put extra blankets on the horses and make sure their eyes are safe from the rain. Our pace will be slowed, but we must continue. When the rain ends, I'll check the shoes and give them a thorough cleaning."spacer.png

Elsewhere, Aralim begins to make his rounds about the old timers, who congregate at night when the work is done or at mealtime. They mostly tell stories of the trade ways, of routes as far east as Shou Lung and as far south as Halruaa, what it was like when it was just a SpellscarredThe Spellplague left an indeliable alteration upon the land, called Spellscars. Spread across Faerun, these were dangerous areas of wild magic and antimagic all at once, and often had enough mutagenic powers to alter a soul and leave them spellscarred.

Over the last century, much of Toril has healed, and these spots are exceptionally rare. None are currently known to exist between Halruaa and the Icewind Dale.
wasteland. Jokes are told, often with unkindness, at the youths' expense, but Taliesin Wanderer leaves an impression as an old soul, and thus gets along quite well with them.

That's according to plan, of course.

Evermor is a fond debater, except when Tyjit Skesh is near. That woman is every bit the cliche when it comes to dwarven malcontendedness and is extremely disagreeable. Radecere Perethun is soft-spoken and whimsically distant, though he finds every game of cards that pops up every night. Losvius Longnose is quite prone to joining in debates but loves to listen, clearly reading between the lines. Lucienne finds him not just agreeable but quick-witted, and by him, she means both Losvius "Longnose" (how prone he is to get into people's business) and Oyn Evermor.spacer.png

Edhelri Lewel loves talking about animals but would just as soon spend all her time with the horses. The Serelim brothers, Noorhar and Selvek, speak openly with Rheirum regarding his carvings, both critiquing and appreciating them: they can tell he's a true craftsman. Selvek is mute, and communicates through his brother via a sign language Rahnur has never seen. Werond and Edhelri seem to know it, though: and Werond commands their interest with ease: when she tells her tales of far off romance and adventure, she is perhaps the single greatest storyteller Rahnur has ever met. Much of what she tells is of romance and heartbreak amongst great and mighty circumstances, where it is slave girls of Zakhara, the tiefling Havilar and her lover the prince of Cormyr, or the tragic romance of Elminster and the Simbul. His heart aches for Loren.

Even in the rain, there is plenty of things to keep them all warm.

By the fifth and sixth day things have settled down and Dardanelle begins trying to sell her services to people. She finds little success on the first day, given her behavior on the days prior (right as many agree they were), but come the sixth day, she has two takers: Sulesdeg, called the Pole, and a curious, vain, and successful driver and caravan leader, Achreny Ulyeltin. Sulesdeg is massive, the tallest human Wendy has ever seen, and his face is likewise long and grim, but he tells jokes at his own speed. Achreny, meanwhile, is jovial... but smells awful, worse than his animals. Picking his ears and nose, belching, he is uncouth and uncivilized, yet his joviality almost makes up for it.

Almost.

Both pay well and say they will spread word.

Day 3: Animal Abuse

The standoff immediately draws attention, as Edhelri and Werond stand against Dravish and his two henchmen. Every cart seems to have someone come to the inner circle, and in the case of Dardanelle's cart, most of them. Lucienne says she needs to take this opportunity to take care of business, so to speak, and heads onward, taking advantage of the distraction to investigate the lead cards more: how good was Selebon's intel regarding the Cult?spacer.png

Dravish is unimpressed at first when Dardanelle steps up, but her words begin to have an effect on him, particularly when Theodoric speaks up beside her. Though he is not part of their original group, he acts as if he always was, stepping up and flourishing as he instills fear in Dravish's minions enough that they back up. Dravish is not quite ready, though he draws no weapon and his lip quivers, it is not until Wendibear appears that he not just shows fear but falls flat from his horse, staring at the bear and the strange gleam in the masked man's eyes. Immediately Rheirum steps in, offering to try and negotiate a middle path. While Taliesin tries to do the same, Rheirum steps up and somehow his words manage to cut through. The knight and mage step up and draw weapons to defend their patron, Dravish adjusting his clothes and cleaning himself off. "T-take the damn thing. I care not: I have two more. You can shove it up Mother Earth's crevice for all I care: or perhaps this elf needs this horse because she's bored of getting off with her other two, the way she handles the damned things. Ninnywithers: your horse is mine, you'll be on the caravan proper from here on out."

The knight does not flinch at the discourtesy.

As the knight begins to mount the horse, he looks at Edhelri, then at Dardenlle, and points. "Mark my words, you vile green scum: you will live to regret this."

Elsewhere, the lead wagons are as distracted as the rest, and Lucienne finds herself in stealthy company as she heads to the nearest of the first five carts, investigating it. She comes close enough to see what the manifest says: the cart is covered in lumber, unworked and worked alike, even some minor carvings of decent quality. Buried under these, however, Daniella sees something of note: lockboxes, chained and with fine golden lock pads. There are eight in total, and even trying to move them, as she is close enough, she cannot do that: they are packed full of goods. Not testing her luck, Dani becomes Lucienne again and heads back

As she does so, and Wendy, Theodoric, Aralim, and Rahnur all hear this too, and Belmund too among the crowd: most people are completely impressed with Dardanelle, Theodoric, Taliesin, and Rheirum, particularly the paladin and the archer. The bravery and heroism therein was impressive to the core. Evermor's challenge to Lucienne that night is whether heroism is common or noble in and of itself, and what makes a noble fit for rule.

Day 4: Payback

Oyn Evermor considers Lucienne's words, smiling through most of them save for the last. "You make a convincing point. On the one hand, there's the solidarity of the code of the road: a soul like this is lost because she sold her soul to bandits. But that could be a cover to hide the truth: trusting that no one would pick up such a soul, her attackers could have left the note to deter people from helping save her. That's more thought than I would have wanted to put into it on my own. Confound you, woman."spacer.png

The last cart begins to help her out before a debate breaks out. While Belmund cannot recall exactly where he's seen that face, he's almost certain he has before. Wendy begins to dig and Aralim too, while Theodoric begins to test her as Wendy's berries perk her up. "Please... water. Water." When given, she sighs, seeming more awake. The earth that holds her smells terrible and soon so too does she, the woman freed and it is then that Wendy notices it: the tattoo on her arm. Harpers wear their emblem in all kinds of ways, and this is no exception, being a tattoo. Asked what happened, she answers their questions with grace and a hoarse mouth. "Sniffing around a wagon I should've have for too long. Paid for it. These berries are good; are you a mage, miss?"spacer.png

Once freed, she is too weak to stand on her own, though the berries are giving her vitality a raise. She explains her tale: she ran afoul of her fellow travelers when she discovered something about them in a caravan five days' ride ahead of them. She does not say what, but claims that she was beaten and a story concocted about her consulting with bandits. Thus, the sign beside her, which, once vitality returns to her, she breaks. "By rights I shouldn't be alive, but I have you lot to thank. I have a meeting I'm late for in Waterdeep, is there any way I can bother you lot for a ride? I'll pull my own weight, and I'm handy with a blade if you've got one for me."

That night, she is well enough to bathe, to help cook, and she comes out the cleaner for it. Imsa whistles at her return from a nearby creek. "Cleans up real well, huh? I wouldn't have saved her, but you lot did good. Says a lot about you." She says this looking primarily at Dardanelle. The woman, whose name is Carlona Amoffel, wears a shirt she borrowed from Werond which covers her tattoo, which at no point does she downplay or even address unless asked, then she plays it off as a "family mark" for her clan out of Silverymoon. Unlikely.spacer.png

Three souls are acutely aware of the shift in the caravan's mood that evenfeast: Rahnur, Dani, and Aralim. Dani has set a fire in Evermor's mind, who keeps the debate ongoing throughout the day and into the night. Indeed, Rahnur hears much the same from other carts (though not his own): that the woman Carlona is a liability to the caravan, that the last wagon is now holding a dangerous criminal that will bring retribution down on them all. Yet, after yesterday's show of moral righteousness against Dravish, it's hard to not see them in a positive light ("bleeding heart" is the word used by Achreny Ulyeltin, Aralim hears as he travels to the old timers). Time will tell, but whose lives will it cost?

When Taliesin begins carousing amongst the older folk, he hones in on two from the same wagon Dani spied on the day before, with Silent Piter and "Bloody" Barbarna. While the latter is not particularly elderly, like Aralim she moves among them listening, laughing, and interjecting as she can. Tonight, she interjects, with Piter nodding along. "Can't afford kindness on a trip like this. We oughta march back there and put her down ourselves." Taliesin, not yet seen or heard, interjects and whatever his words, he stops the lynch mob where it stands and many of the old timers agree. Piter does not reply, living up to his name still, while Barbarna shakes her head. "Who knows, when bad things happen, maybe we'll know who did it faster than we might otherwise ought to of. That's all I'm sayin'."

Day 5: The Golden Stag

spacer.pngWhile Theodoric and Aralim know it is a bad omen to kill a stag such as this, Rahnur knows much more.

Rahnur requires no moment to remember where they are and what this is. He's heard stories of the Golden Stag of Bendrylsted since he was a boy, told to him by his father, by his father's friends. The stag is believed by the farmers and artisans of the stretch of land where they are, called Bendrylsted, to bring fertility to the land and good luck to all traders and creators of goods. Hunting it would doom them all. This story he tells to Edhelri, to Werond and the elven twins, and the story begins to spread. When Dani and Aralim hear it, Lucienne and Taliesin lean into it to convince the caravan members to continue onward and not hunt the thing. The hunt, organized by Dravish, by Achreny Ulyeltin, and by the Tusk brothers from the third wagon, comes to a screeching halt with Taliesin's warning that the caravan will be doomed. Bloody Barbarna huffs as she begins to walk away. "What, like saving that caravan traitor?" Her argument does not get very far.

By the time Taliesin and Lucienne are done, only Dravish, his minions, and the Tusks remain on the hunt. Achreny approaches the duo with a sigh, smelling of horse piss and strong cheese. "Right bastards for stopping us, but right for doin' so."

When hunters return to the caravan, which moved on far beyond Bendrylsted by night, they do so empty handed.

That night, Rahnur dreams of the Golden Stag of Bendrylsted: he steps onto the cobbles beneath an ancient tree, and in his place appears a copper-skinned elf who speaks a tongue he cannot understand. Above the moon and sun do a dance across the horizon in rapid succession, as if the massive passing of days and nights across millennia. There is comprehension despite the lack of understanding: the longing for a kingdom long lost, the way to end pain by reuniting with something.

Day 8: Spider Woods

⚔ Round I ⚔

An arrow alone breaks; bundled with others, it is unbreakable.

spacer.pngWhile many carts prepare to defend themselves, the Heroes of Greenest let their true flags fly as they charge into battle, joined by Carlona and by Sulesdeg the Pole, the Shaaran warrior who leads the guards of Achreny Ulyetin's two wagons in the middle. Rahnur and Dani hear him roar as he draws his sword at least as long as Aralim. "Protect the second wagon, get Ulyetin to safety! They are after the horses!" The two other guards obey with Achreny screaming that it is of the utmost importance to protect his goods. The half-drow and human noble soon join him while behind them charges Wendibear, Belmund, Theodoric, Carlona, and Aralim, putting down the ploughshare for the sword.

Ettercaps: a more disgusting arachnid abomination does not exist this side of the Demonweb Pits. Two go for the horses while the third and the two massive spiders hold off Sulesdeg and offer resistance to the incognito Heroes of Greenest. As Wendibear prepares to attack and the armor of Agathys comes to Theodoric's aide, the Pole is overtaken by the lead ettercap and one of the giant spiders, the other hissing at the oncoming bear. Though the spider attempts to poison him, the Pole pulls away from the wound; poison splatters on his Shaaran armor as blood mars his form now.

Then comes the crash. Wendibear's maw fails to find the ettercap, but her claws certainly do, sending chunks of discolored flesh flying but not killing the thing: not at all. Rahnur fires off a shot that catches the spider that missed Sulesdeg in the thorax, almost severing a leg. Dani, Belmund, and Aralim prepare to join the fray with Carlona, now outfitted in a leather jerkin and wielding two blades, prepares to as well.

Just then, the bridle and yoke holding the two horses breaks: the two ettercaps prepare to flee into the woods with the horses!

Out of Character

No map, pure TotM
Initiative
Spiders9
Party8.5

Allies
Sulesdeg-AC 16, 53/65 HP
Carlona-AC 16, 51/51 HP

Enemies
Ettercap 1-AC 13, 36/44 HP
Ettercap 2-AC 13, 44/44 HP
Ettercap 3-AC 13, 44/44 HP
Giant Spider 1-AC 14, 19/26 HP
Giant Spider 2-AC 14, 26/26 HP

Out of Character

spacer.png
Caravan Stats
85/84 Travelers
12/12 Wagons
8/60 days passed
Caravan Members

Woo!

General rules:

• Influencing the Caravan is an optional rule you can use, as conflict may potentially come up and other caravaneers may help you out if you're friendly with them. Persuasion, Deception, etc. come to mind. If a wagon or individual members of a wagon are friendly towards you, you may get support. The Dc will depend on who you're trying to influence and how. If you want to learn about a NPC or wagon beforehand, you have the manifest and thus list of names and goods, but influencing people is a different matter. Green Imsa is friendly to everyone, but Evermor is only friendly to Dani, for example. Imsa is one person, but Evermor has a whole wagon. Some cart drivers will be downright hostile, thus influencing individual people makes more sense.
  • I'm giving everyone Inspiration based on their wonderful roleplaying and putting up with this silly format. If you already have Inspiration, too bad, you get it again but it just deletes the old one; spend that shit. If you want specifics:
    • Wendy, for being a fierce mama bear against Dravish
    • Theodoric for the same, complete with spooky glows
    • Dani for her wonderful argument with Evermor regarding pragmatism and kindness
    • Belmund for his approach to Carlona despite his rolls
    • Aralim for his investigation skills and getting in good with the elders/CotD folk
    • Rahnur for trying to make peace in heated moments

Day 4:

• I can provide guidance on revealing to Carlona most of you are Harpers and what you're doing. If you plan on doing so, I can reveal further information as you like; if you rolled Insight already, I'll provide answers accordingly to confirm or deny trust.

Day 5:

• Rahnur, Dani, and Aralim has bless on them for 5 days. Use it wisely.

Day 8:

• Is this the first combat of Chapter 4? Good Lord.
  • Dani gets an extra action for her Round 1, on account of her cart being closer.
  • We won't be using a map here, so create your own image. The two ettercaps stealing the horses are about 15 feet from the ettercap and two spiders holding off Wendibear and the party. Going around them normally will provoke an Opportunity Attack but taking the long route (25 feet) will not.
  • If anyone is interested in controlling Sulesdeg or Carlona, feel free to roll without modifiers and I'll manage the damage and modifiers. Not revealing their stat blocks since I'm frankensteining Sulesdeg and dropping the HP of Carlona. At some point we need to discuss Party NPCs and Sidekick rules, I think.