Chapter IV: On the Road

Gregorotto

Selebon sighs as there is a new need for paperwork which will, of course, mean the final travelogue will come later than expected. None the less, Imsa is excited as all get out to be included. "I'll need to tell the driver of the wagon I was on. Nice guy, in correspondence at least. People are always so much nicer in writing, ha!"

She isn't wrong. Rahnur and Dani look over the manifest thus far and see interesting places to spread out instead of centralizing in one place. Rahnur will seek out Edhelri Lewel, a moon elf who is currently set up in a tavern in Seatower, while Dani will seek out the aviary owned by Oyn Evermor, a human staying at the Low Lantern, though she does broach the subject of Lasfelro the Silent with Selebon. "Odd duck, that one. Real silent, communicates by writing. Started singing durin' our meetin'. Otherwise looks real sullen. Kept his gargoyle outside, but I sure wouldn't want to ride with that thing for six tendays." It's enough to convince her.

With that, they head onward to their various tasks and personal missions.

Dani: Birds of a Feather

spacer.pngFor Dani, it is a straight-forward path to the Low Lantern, a rather disarming boat of a tavern. The air is somewhat briny and foul, which is fitting given the fowl nature of the man she's meeting with. Three cages flank him, each with a different bird within: a parakeet, a falcon with one eye, and a strange colorful bird with a strange vine-like tail covered in rainbows. On his shoulder sits a cat with wings, a tressym, which mews at the man before Dani arrives. He has a series of logs at his table, which is circular but otherwise unoccupied. These logs, from a cursory glance, are an account of sales in the city, and birds left over to be sold in Waterdeep, including new acquisitions, which include the three behind him. Just a cursory glance.

He looks up, bald and made of lines, as if chiseled out of stone and looking appropriately stony in his gaze. He looks Dani over and tells her to sit. "Not looking for much in a worker, what can you offer?" As she talks, he does not look up until her mention of literature. His frown, strong and powerful, fades to a small grin.

It appears she can offer quite a bit.

"A fan of literature are you? We'll see. What's your favorite non-fiction work on the efficacy of the Lords' Alliance's checks system?"

The rest of the evening is a night of riveting debates, a back and forth that proves this man is as deeply irritating as he is well-read. It is, perhaps, like looking in a mirror for Dani, though Evermor is not a mage himself. Oyn Evermor is argumentative, contrarian, full of himself, and very very sure of what he knows: and what he knows is generally correct. By the evening's end, he stops her. "Very well, you've proven your worth. To maintain my library, work with the birds and other stock, and keep things going, as well as cataloguing and perhaps indexing a few things including my magic library, it'll be 10 dragons a day for the length of the journey. I think we'll have plenty to talk about across our trip, won't we?"

Rahnur et. al: A Woodworker's Word

Stephan gives a similar grunt at Rahnur's returned enthusiasm, then laughs. "Yeah, been workin' on a real interestin' medusa statue for a client out of Manorborn; won't visit me in person, sends their butler. Real odd sorts, those patriars." He leads them to the statue, a life-like wooden statue of a medusa that is frighteningly realistic. His friend listens to Rahnur intently with his private words and the requests therein, and nods. "Got a client I need to go see about a project in Little C, I'll make a point of visiting them starting day after tomorrow: you can bet I'll be at the funeral. As for the Guild, I'll see what I can do. No love lost 'tween us, just like you, but I know a few souls I can rely on for information."

When it comes time to introduce the newcomers, Stephan is enthusiastic. "Always a pleasure to meet a friend o' Rahnur's. Known him since he could start a fight, and shucks howdy, what a scrapper he was when he was a kid! 'bout took my nose off with a bite, thinkin' I stole his owlbear figurine his...." He pauses, then looks at Rahnur, realizing he was going to talk about his father. "Never would, the Forgefathers would've beat me senseless after Rahnur was done with me. Been best friends ever since. You lot take care of him out there, y'hear? His Ma is one sweet lady but she's got a mean left hook, liable to take that mask right off ya, Theo." He grins, then pops his neck. To the question of places to stay, he considers.

"Probably the Wide is the most affordable yet finest quality in the Gate. Got the benefit of the Watch and Fists, 'nd the general reputation of the Upper City. There's a place, not far from one of the bath houses, called The Three-Path Road, run by a pair of halfling priestesses of Shaundakul. Real nice food for breakin' yer fast, good ever-burnin' stew. That'd be my suggestion. As for how I'll contact you about your ma and such: where are you headin'? I can provide letters to the Carpenters', Roofers', & Plaisterers' Guild in Waterdeep, or somethin' similar if you're headed in whatever direction."

Before he goes, Stephan brings Rahnur in for another hug. "I know you're goin' after her. You have to, and I know you too well. Bring her home, but don't lose yourself, alright? You do what you gotta do, like you did for yer da: and you don't do more. No need to make the bastards what done it hurt anymore than they deserve, no need to lose your soul to these freaks. Do it for Loren: don't do anything that would drive her off, eh? Keep her proud of ya, and more importantly: make yer da prouder than he was the moment he found himself to the City of the Dead. Ol' goober loved you, and he died knowin' you loved him."

Soon, the group splits up: Rahnur goes in search of Edhelri Lewel in Seatower, and the others go to find Talun, who can be found at Noddamimic's Resale Shop in the Steeps.

When Rahnur arrives at the Heapside tavern called the Hare of the Dog, with a sign showing a dog licking a very disgruntled hare, the barkeep, a half-orc woman with the best humming voice Rahnur has ever heard, he asks about Edhelri Lewel. The half-orc laughs. "You'll find her in the kennels, with the dogs. Careful though, she's more likely to bite than the dogs."

Indeed he does find her there, a moon elf smelling like the dogs and just as wet as she continues to scrub a particularly bouncy terrier. She does not look up, her blue-tinted black hair soaked with suds. "Well?"

Belmund & Theodoric: Resale for Wholesale

spacer.pngThe Steeps is not a particularly pleasant place, Theodoric has to note, but the same cannot be said for the wide, factory-sized building called Noddamimic's Resale Shop. Immediately the smell of polish and oils assaults both Belmund and Theodoric, as well as a faint bit of dust. The name is apt: the entire warehouse is full of things ready for resale. The world's largest thrift shop, even, the desk at the front is not manned properly at the moment, and there are maybe five people total, all taller than the wares being sold and the many aisles visible in this place. There are a few back rooms, but regardless, within they see their target: the Shaaran half-elf Talun Twinpike, who briefly looks at them, then does nothing.

Because there is a sudden crash, and then a blast of smoke from one of the backrooms and a series of coughs.spacer.png

The gnome that emerges is covered in soot, coughing with glitter all over him. "Run while you can! Flee! The air itself is poison!"

Everyone but Talun and Belmund and Theodoric run, the gnome continuing his cough, which as time goes on, seems very serious and perhaps very sincere. When everyone else is gone, Noddamimic Weightaminut shuts the door, locks it, and turns the sign over at the window from "OPEN 'TIL WE'RE NOT" to "WE'RE NOT."

He turns to Talun, Theodoric, and Belmund. "And with that, you've your privacy. Noddamimic Weightaminut, at your service. I'll provide some tea momentarily: bear with me."

Talun shakes his head, then joins the other two; windows open as Noddamimic rotates a lever, letting the smoke out through the topmost windows, slowly but surely filtering the room. It's not that bad, though, and definitely not poisonous.

"You'll have to forgive ol' Noddic. I wish I could say the insane thing was a cover, but... it's very much not. A good Harper affiliate, though. Now let's see here... information and gear, right? Noddamimic will bring the selections in a moment. As for information, let's get that started now. Based on intel you provided and our own experience here in the Gate, we know a little bit of what the Cult is up to: and fortunately the Guild has been somewhat more forthcoming with giving us information, as they see the Cult as an enemy worth eliminating, and the enemy of my enemy, you understand. Within the Cult, there are multiple factions, which answer to multiple leaders, called wyrm-speakers. The primary activity here in the Gate has belonged to the Black Wyrmspeaker, if the emblems we've found on a few dead bodies and tattoos besides mean anything. We've also seen some activity from the Greens and Blues as well, but nothing on the Reds and Whites. This 'Rezmir' is the Wyrmspeaker in Black, and she was the one behind the attack, if anything can be told. There were a few other incidents, smaller ones, with less deaths: that's why the watch isn't connecting the death of Rahnur's father to the other incidents, they're dissimilar in purpose but not in intent, and intent is shielded to most. By the time the Watch or Fist can figure it out, the cultists we've not caught will be long gone: they're filtering out as more Greens and Blues move in. We have a few ideas on bases but they're fairly mobile and know we're watching: we've raided a few Guild strongholds just looking for them and it's led to some... difficult situations, given we want the Guild to trust us in this while we take down the greater evil. While you're in town, we'll keep you updated if something new comes up, but I think if rumors among the Fist are true, they're going to be calling a meeting soon between the members of the Lords' Alliance in Waterdeep. Duke Ravengard will lead a coalition there to discuss the rising threat, because it's not just here. It's in the rest of the North, in Cormyr and the borderlands there, in Turmish and Amn and Chessenta. The Moonseas, too. The Cult of the Dragon is stirring like never before. And I don't like it, not one bit."

Soon Noddamimic returns with an array of different materials, some Belmund suggested, and then some other oddities.

Aralim: Throughout the Gate

Aralim, as Taliesin, wanders the Gate, hoping to hear things. He goes many places, hearing this or that. While at the Low Lantern, he even sees Dani caught in a high debate of literature with some bald himbo; his eyes meet hers, and Aralim knows better than to say anything to her while she is in deep cover.

Besides, there's rumors to be heard.spacer.png

"Hear the dragon attacks are a sign that the dracorage is coming back!"

"Say they're going to let that Gortash fella back in from his exile: might even make'em a Duke! Bad business, that."

"Oh sure, they brought in a new statue. That Rashemi berserker statue in the Wide is a replacement: the original Beloved Ranger is wanderin' the Realms again!"

"Oh yeah, avoid that bath house. They say people go missin' 'round there."

"Mandorcai’s Mansion is a strange place, real haunted: don't go in if you're wantin' to come out, son."

If any of these are useful, Aralim cannot say. But he has been given a fair impression of Baldur's Gate, and Aralim, and Taliesin, are both better and worse for it.

19 Kythorn, Year of the Warrior Princess,
Eastway, Lower City, Baldur's Gate
Western Heartlands, Sword Coast

The group has a final act to do together as a group: the funeral of Rahnur's father.

Before masks are dawned and identities discarded, the group slowly gathers. As Aralim and Theodoric come earliest, they seek out Mortarch Gracie Scyre, dressed in her armor as the other priests of Kelemvor are dressed in their traditional robes, ready to put him to rest in the Cemetery. The Mortuary, in the eastern part of the Cemetery, is quiet, cold, and not exactly inviting, but it is peaceful, particularly in this early morn's light. Scyre grins at the two holy men. "I'm glad you've come. We can speak after the funeral. I've done due diligence and got a bit of information for you I think you will find interesting." With that she bows her head, and joins the other priests, some armored, some not, but all armed with swords like the Judge of the Dead, once a mere mortal a century ago ascended when a god of death was needed.

Soon the others arrive: Dani and Wendy, Belmund, and finally Rahnur, who waited diligently at the Basilisk Gate for his mother to come. His uncle says nothing to him, but there is a sizable delegation from Little Calimshan, and indeed the Outer City in general, coming to the funeral. When they arrive, nearly two dozen souls have come to see off Jemum Rhahlem, carpenter, community member, and friend. There is Remerth Everandi, an old family friend; Stephan Anvilshoulder has come with at least three of his adoptive family, two elderly dwarven smiths smelling of ore and a younger woman with ink stains on her fingers, all dressed in their dwarven finery. Rahnur spies Regisal Harlboyd, whose connection to his father he never understood but who looks quite sullen; beside him is Audrey Southaven, looking sheepish under Rahnur's gaze: she had tried to shake him down and get him to join the Guild when he took over the shop. Near Talun and the strange gnome, as well as a few other members of the Watch, is Maleek al-Shuzari, the fire genasi Flaming Fist whom Stephan and Rahnur had grown up around despite his living in Little Calimshan. He gives Rahnur a nod, knowing full well his time is coming to give his condolences. Finally, there is Loren's best friend, a somber looking halfling named Timber Brakesheaf, and near the back of the crowd, Rahnur spies his father-in-law, Jervis Marthandar. When his eyes meet Rahnur, a fire sparks: and Rahnur knows his opinion of the situation.

Fortunately, leading Osnoh to the front, Rahnur does not have to confront anyone right now: there is a funeral at hand.

The spot is in the western corner of the Cemetery, a small grave with two headstones, one now marked Jemum Rhahlem, the other Osnoh, with no dates attached to her's but his filled out: "1424-1489: BELOVED HUSBAND FATHER, AND MAKER; Blessed are the workers of wonders". The procession of priests bring in the coffin, setting it beside a now weeping Osnoh, and the priestess, a moon elven woman with white hair and strange elven markings on her face, speaks with a distinct fey accent. "We bear Jemum, father of Rahnur, husband of Osnoh, son of Usman and Ghanima, brother of Seljuk and Fatima, to the road to the City of the Dead. We all face judgment, but his will be a fairly simple one. Jemum was well-known in his community, be it the artisan community, the community of Eastway, Little Calimshan, or the larger portion of Baldur's Gate. I knew him, when he made me a wonderful piece for the temple, a carving of our former head priest. He was stern, serious, and about his business: but he had a heart as deep as the Harbor, a kindness like the Greenfields, and a patience like a gold dragon. He will be missed: but we are assured by the Great Judge's compassion in death, and we are assured in the legacy he leaves her: in his beloved son, who took over his business and dutifully watches over his mother and his father's honor even now."

There is a short prayer, and then an opening: "Would anyone like to say a word for Jemum in this time?"

Quite a few do. Stephan speaks up about how Jemum was a wonderful mentor and how he always envied Rahnur for his father, since he was adopted by a clan rather than a single couple; Maleek, too, speaks up, telling of how Jemum's sense of justice went beyond tradition and old ways for something larger and more equitable, something that helped him when he left Little Calimshan (Akbar once again huffs near the back). A few others in the community speak, some that Rahnur knows, some that he knows of. There is a moment, for Rahnur or whomever to speak up, if they wish it.

"We commit thee to the gates of destiny, and to your final destination in the Outer Planes. We meet you at the dawn of all things: we will see you again, beloved Jemum."spacer.pngspacer.png

With that, each soul comes to give their respects to the body in the coffin and to Rahnur and Osnoh. Stephan demands a hug; Maleek begins to, but instead offers a stiff, warm handshake to Rahnur. Timber's mouth is a thin line, anger on their face: they seem upset with Rahnur. Every person save them seems to have a story about Jemum, most hilarious, all touching: Osnoh is a sea of laughter and tears. Regisal doesn't seem to know what to say, but instead gives a tearful bow: he appears to have lost a friend. Audrey says nothing, refusing to make eye contact with Rahnur. Akbar, too, ignores Rahnur entirely, but gives his sister a kiss on the forehead. The other members of the Little Calimshan community are much kinder, telling Rahnur that they are proud of him, that he should come visit before he leaves, and trusting he will do the right thing regarding justice and regarding retrieving his wife, even if she is an outsider.

Finally, there is his father-in-law, who doesn't seem to know what to say at first. And then, there it is: "Your father didn't deserve this. He was a decent man. I appreciated his level-headedness when it came... came to our business. He deserved better. You deserve better, Osnoh, I know you were always good to Loren... but you, Rahnur: this is your fault. My daughter would be here if it weren't for you. He would be here if it weren't for you. So run off, play hero, and get my daughter back: or die the coward you seem to me to be. Prove me wrong and we'll have something to talk about. Until then... your father didn't deserve the fate you left him to. That you left my daughter to."

Whatever insults are given him, he leaves, heading off in anger.

The priests offer Osnoh and Rahnur the right to throw dirt on the coffin as it's lowered into the grave. Enchantments are placed upon it, free of charge, to prevent him from being raised from the dead in any capacity: it is a kindness beyond reproach.

And with that, the group heads in different directions. Osnoh would have lunch with her son and any of his friends who would come at Jemum's favorite restaurant, a place serving fusion Zakharan and Shou cuisine, full of aromatic spices and delicious lamb. Dani has her new day job collecting money so she can afford to work on her spellbook on the route to Waterdeep; Wendy has paintings to make to live up to her new identity as Dardanelle. Aralim and Theodoric have a meeting with the Mortarch to make, and Belmund has Harper business to conclude before he leaves the city for however long this takes.

In a scarce few days, they will be on the caravan headed north.

Aralim & Theodoric: Mortarch's Duty

spacer.pngThe Mortarch leads Aralim and Theodoric back to the Mortuary, that cold, calm place that seems underground despite the general features of the graveyard. Within are mausoleums and work spaces so the priests can do their work, libraries with texts regarding the treatment of the living, dead, and undead, and the workings of the faith of Kelemvor. A mural of Kelemvor, dark-haired holding a woman slain in battle, suggests compassion and care for the dead. The Mortarch removes her helmet in her office, and removes her cape.

"Can I get you two refreshments? Figs, bread, cheese? I have a bit of wine here, but it may be too early for some. Still, it doesn't hurt to take the edge off of an emotional ride through Avernus like that. It's hard, this job. Seeing families genuinely love one another and be pulled apart by such reckless violence and hate." She pours herself a goblet and drinks it. "You don't get used to it. You never do. Perhaps that's for the best."

Finally, she takes a seat and begins. "You're doing good work, I can tell. There are larger things going on than what's happening here in the Gate, and though we merely handle the dead, we can tell. No doubt you've spoken to the authorities. You know things are dire. What you may not know, what they may not realize, is that we have a handle on things that they may miss. We look at the dead, analyze their wounds, and... this is larger than Jemum Rhahlem. He's one of several deaths in the last few months. The others were connected to gang violence, Guilt intercepts, and cultist activity with the Dead Three. Let me tell you what we know: those wounds are consistent with specialty daggers, used by members of the Cult of the Dragon. We've seen them before: we even have a few here from the Year of Rogue Dragons, the last time they were this active, well over a century ago. Let me show you." She reaches into her desk, pulling out a sheathed dagger with a draconic motif on the sheath and the hilt, a red gem set in the dragon's mouth on the pommel. Unsheathing it, a dragon graces the blade in etching: perhaps a little edgy and juvenile, but still gets the point across.

"Look at the way the blade is jagged. The way it rips. This is consistent with Jemum's wounds. The ripping, the tearing. And there have been three others in the last month." Already Theodoric was putting it together, but the Watch, Flaming Fist, and even the Harpers had missed this. The Harpers seemed so sure with Talun yesterday that Jemum was the sole murder, but the Church of Kelemvor seems to think otherwise. Are they wrong?

"What do you know? Before you go rushing into this, whatever it is you do, I think it best you be fully informed. Ignorance does not look good at the feet of Kelemvor, though we often find ourselves there before him in such a form."

Wendy & Dani: Day Jobs!

Dani and Wendy have very different perspectives on the next few days of their lives: they have jobs to do!

To become Dardanelle Lazuli, Wendy has to create paintings, buy supplies, and prepare for the road appropriately. Fortunately, already an expert artist, this isn't a bad thing: if anything, it gives her a chance to exercise her creativity! The road is not good for such things, particularly when on the forced march they've been on since she arrived in Berdusk just a few tendays ago. She works hard, putting out a few studies, a few failures that don't belong anywhere but a rubbish heap, and quite a few impressive pieces, be they landscapes, portraits of passersby on the streets of Baldur's Gate, scenes of her past that weigh on her, even a piece showing a golden kobold leading an army of kobolds and villagers against a dragon; a Rashemi warrior playing a lute; a goliath bard telling jokes in a tavern and everyone just over it. The pieces catch eyes: the pieces spread the word that Dardanelle Lazuli is a damn fine painter, and she'll be headed north soon.

Alas, poor Baldur's Gate to lose her!

Daniella, meanwhile, is relegated to that of a glorified librarian, working over several days at different religious temples in organizing their books, cataloguing them, checking them for damage, indexing the catalogue properly. The Temple of Mystra, with branches including Azuth, god of wizardry, and Savras, god of divination, are well-stocked but unfortunately not organized very well: wizards are often so careless with their organization. The Temple of Gond is somehow better organized because schematics need to be in the right place when architects and artificers come to play. Oghma and Deneir also offer her quite a bit to do, as they have much wider ranges of works beyond just magic. It is hard work, but not mentally taxing work. The people are kind, but most of them simpletons who wouldn't know a graviton from gravy.

But soon, she will be leaving Baldur's Gate, for home, and whatever that entails.

Out of Character

Alright, a few things:

• Most of you can post optionally, asking further questions of NPCs and doing other things
  • If you want to do downtime activities, roll in Discord or here and we'll resolve it accordingly, including how much gold you get
  • Rahnur: roll to see what kind of position you get on the wagon, using the rules mentioned above.
  • I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Damn downtime.

Theodoric.png.2eb4b4312fa820331118ff4b80ef39e9.pngTheodoric | Aasimar Paladin 4

AC: 20 (Plate & Shield) | HP: 36/36 | DR: 3 (Nonmagical B/P/S) | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Class / Race Features | Prepared Spells

Healing Hands (2d4): 1/1 | Celestial Revelation: 1/1 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Harness Divine Power: 1/1 | 1st Lvl Slots: 3/3

Theodoric simply observes as Rahnur and Stephan catch up - it was clear that they had been friends for a very long time, practically close enough to be family. To a normal man, it wouldn't have been an unusual sight.

But for Theodoric, who had been pressed into service by a divine being at age 10, the closeness between the two makes him begin to realize just how much his life's trajectory had been changed by Baldriel's influence... and he isn't sure how to feel about that realization.

These ties are frivolous. Betrayal can come from any source. You know this.

As his divine guide's voice rings through his mind, images spring forth unbidden - the steely eyes of the assassin, Ylria - the provoking grin of the mage, Nergon - the life draining from Aria's features - Mikhael's easy, disarming smile as he stands behind Aria, his dagger stuck deep into her back.

Never trust. Be always watchful.

He is distracted enough that he doesn't realize that Stephan is speaking to him at first. Shaking his head, all he can manage to choke out is a quick, "Yes, of course." He regathers his senses in time to listen to Stephan's explanation of the lodgings in the area, but the slightest of tremors still holds the aasimar in its grasp.

Splitting from Rahnur, Theodoric and Belmund journey forth to Noddamimic's Resale Shop. He makes sure to fully calm himself before speaking with Belmund, back to his usual business-focused self - though a bit of that panic creeps forward when he mentions his past adventures. Luckily, he finds himself occupied with watching the people of the Lower City, and Noddamimic's shop - really more of a warehouse - comes into view soon enough.

What seems like a simple meetup at first is quickly anything but as a blast of smoke and a coughing gnome pour out of one of the backrooms. Theodoric runs along with the others, having no interest in being poisoned today, but quickly realizes it is a ruse to buy them privacy - or, at least, mostly a ruse. Noddamimic was still covered in soot and glitter, after all. Theodoric simply glances over at Belmund, his eyes communicating a curious concern.

He grimaces a bit at the mention of The Guild - the city's criminal element held sway in many of its proceedings, apparently - but if they also saw the Cult of the Dragon as an enemy, their information could at least be considered instead of summarily ignored. Theodoric nods affirmatively at the mention of Rezmir - "The letter addressed to Rahnur was written by her personally." The fact that multiple factions of the Cult were acting in Baldur's Gate was concerning, but more concerning was just how far-reaching the Cult's activities really were - so much so that a meeting of the Lords' Alliance was being called. It certainly gives credence to the visions I've received. The Sword Coast in its entirety truly is in danger. With a nod, Theodoric states, "Your information and assistance is appreciated, Talun. Please forward any further information on the whereabouts of Rezmir and her underlings to us, if anything new is learned. The Black Wyrmspeaker has made this conflict very intimate for Rahnur, and the sooner that business is handled, the better."

He takes a moment to look over Noddamimic's selected wares along with Belmund, restocking on rations as needed and picking up a simple traveler's cloak complete with hood to go over his armor. If the gnome happens to have any Potions of Healing on hand, Theodoric asks if they can be held aside until members of the party with more sufficient funds can pick them up.

Theodoric remains respectfully silent during Jemum Rhahlem's funeral, though he does watch Akbar closely, just in case the "lion" is fool enough to start anything. Thankfully, it seems the man's respect for his sister in her time of need outweighs his dislike of his nephew. The proceedings are not without tension from other sources, notably Loren's father, but luckily nothing rises to a level that requires Theodoric to step in. After Osnoh and Rahnur throw dirt onto the coffin, Theodoric does take a moment to step forward and say a small prayer as the casket is lowered into the ground. It is simple, but direct - "May your soul be weighed fairly upon the scales of Tyr and Kelemvor both."  With his piece said, he joins Aralim in meeting with Mortarch Scyre.

Theodoric finds himself studying the mural of Kelemvor as the Mortarch prepares for their meeting. Though he isn't fully versed in the intricacies of the faith, he remembers that Kelemvor was once a mortal warrior, gruff but with a noble heart. Compared to the gods of the dead before him, Kelemvor was fair in his judgement - something the paladin of Tyr could appreciate and respect. As refreshments are offered, Theodoric requests his usual bread and water, but is not quite as hasty in refreshing himself as before. Aralim, after all, had seen his face now, and the Mortarch likely knew enough about divine influences to know what he was and how that influence could affect him. As such, the lower portion of his mask remains sat on the table for a few minutes at least, leaving his mouth exposed.

The Mortarch's presentation of the Cult's ritual dagger draws Theodoric's close study, as he makes note of the jaggedness of the blade. He had seen many stab wounds in his time in the City Watch, but a blade like this would most certainly make very different wounds than a standard dagger. "You say there have been three others with wounds matching Jemum's. What further information do you have on these victims? Were the symbols of the Cult found at those sites as well?"

Three victims were easier to gather information on, certainly. The pool of possible evidence was being narrowed down rather expediently.

OOC

For daily preparations, I'm going to swap out Cure Wounds for Detect Magic and Searing Smite for Detect Poison and Disease. Could be useful spells for crime scene investigation!

Also curious if Noddamimic has Potions of Healing available... though I personally don't have much in the way of gold on hand to give him in exchange.

Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)

DaniRosznar-fotor-bg-remover-20230825202249.png.6294998c35692bd5d40a73e0d27b5fa2.pngDaniella "Dani" Violette Claribel Rosznar II

Human Graviturgy Wizard (4)

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

Daniella considered the curiosity of Lasfelro the Silent as Selebon clarified how the man may be even more odd than expected. She had to admit to herself that she was intrigued. She had assumed his lack of speaking was related to the man being a mute. Yet, the fact that he had sung during he and Selebon’s first meeting had shattered that theory. No, there was something very strange about that particular cart, and Daniella noted in her mind that she would keep a close eye on Lasfelro and his gargoyle. At the very least, she will get to see how the stone sentinel functions in person; it was something she had always wanted to see since she was a child. She could only imagine the joys of having such a construct as her personal guard or assistant. It would never talk back; it would never fuss about being told what to do. Come to think of it, she could have used something like that back in her sorority in Suzail. It would have saved her a lot of trouble, and she may have even been able to graduate the proper way…

Daniella entered the Low Light with a petrified scowl on her face, but she imagined most people would. Not just because of the gruff and gritty clientele, but the smell alone was enough to make an Otyugh feel right at home. 

Her meeting with Oyn went about as well as could be expected. She let out a mocking mixture of scoff and laughter at his question, “Ha! Lords’ Alliance and efficacy? I beg your pardon, but I tend to avoid the genre of comedy in my literature choices, fiction or not.” She gave him a wicked smirk at her comment and, surprisingly, found herself actually enjoying the conversation.  He was a clever man — obviously he could not measure up to her intelligence by her measure, but anyone who was even worth making a comparison with was often capable of stimulating conversation, which was a godsend after her past few weeks. “Ten Dragons a day is acceptable, given the work is my favorite type of tedious." Another half-grin curls her lips as Daniella idly twirls her platinum hair around her finger and looks boredly towards the corner of the room. "You do not seem particularly familiar with the Arcane, but if you happen to collect spell scrolls or books, I would accept them as a form of payment, based on their worth. Something to keep in mind." She waved her hand dismissively. "I will be present when the caravan prepares to leave. Now, if we have a deal, I am going to find myself a room that doesn't smell like it's been used as a latrine."

Whether through true sympathy or because she felt she owed Rahnur as much, Daniella attended the funeral for his father. She sat as near to the  Half-Elf as was appropriate, leaving space for his loved ones. For most of the memorial, Daniella kept one foot crossed neatly over the other with her head pointed straight, towards the speaker. She kept her expression relatively neutral, even abstaining from her usual look of boredom or disinterest. That is, until Rahnur’s father-in-law stepped up and began spewing his hatred towards. She narrowed her eyes at the man; it was a dangerous look that might make one question if she was merely seething or calculating the plethora of ways she could turn him inside out.

Through the onslaught of finger-pointing, Daniella leaned over and ahead to whisper to Rahnur, “A weak, impotent man blames others for his misfortune, a strong man seeks to change it.” In a rare display of compassion and humanity, Daniella reached out and gentled squeezed Rahnur’s shoulder comfortingly. “You are thrice the man he could ever aspire to be.” With her piece said, Daniella sat back into her seat and resumed her cross-legged stance, taking only a moment to straighten out her dress.

Daniella spent the rest of her working days in Baldur’s Gate avoiding her allies and putting her nose to the grindstone, so to speak. Even though the work was consistent, her mind lingered on the fact that she would be heading towards Waterdeep soon. She felt a looming sense of unease regarding that thought. One that she did not care for. It was not often that Daniella felt unsure, or dwelled on the anxieties of the future. But her family would be in Waterdeep. Try as she might, avoiding them completely would be a near-impossible task. So what did that mean? How would she face her siblings? What would she say to Mother? How could she stare her father in the eye after…

‘Focus, Daniella. There are bigger things at work beyond your familial ties. We will face that dragon when it shows itself, spewing its flames of unvocalized spite…’

OoC

Nothing to see here

0p2nINr.jpg

Name: Belmund Brokenstone | Race/Class: Dwarf Ranger | HP: 40/40 AC: 13 PP: 15

Belmund catches Theodoric's concerned glance at Noddamimic's commotion and answers with a shrug. The gnome was a bit eccentric, as most gnomes were, but he might be better described as predicably unpredictable, which tended to serve clandestine meetings fairly well. Belmund assumed Talun mentioned the need for privacy to Nodda before their arrival, but regardless of how it came about, they had it. And with tea, to boot.

The gears were turning while Talun shared substantial info. At the mention of the Cult operating all through the North, his thoughts turned to home and Ten Towns, wondering if the Cult had any presence there..and for how long? If so, how had he missed it? All these attacks, orchestrated to look like seperate incidents...they were dealing with a well-organized foe, indeed.

Though, any organization believing itself to be well-organized had a critical weakness; the belief of being well-organized. Belmund's travels had taught him much, but if anything stuck out like a sore thumb, it was that he should also expect some chaos. He supposed this is why the Harpers worked so well for him. They were organized, sure, but remained flexible to the point where they could be careful bedfellows with the Guild if they needed to, though that certain left a bad taste in his mouth. A distant cousin of his, working as a private investigator in Waterdeep, had a brief tangle with them. Belmund's own experience with them could be described as cautiously convivial, but he noted Theodoric's distaste at their mention and kept that to himself, for now.

"Talun, these chromatic factions within the Cult...ye think there might'n be any deep divides we can use te sunder the Cult's armor, so te speak? Thing aboot organizations that stick te shadows, they tend te have fuzzy edges and shifting allegiances, Harpers bein' no exception. Any point o' leverage we can get on individual Cult members would be valuable, indeed." Belmund quickly jotted down the location of a courier service that he had a tab with, legitimate to be sure, that he often used to send missives as far north as Ten Towns. Talun could typically get a message to him via this service and would know that it needed to be coded, but if the Half-Elf and his contacts found any pliable Cultists, Belmund wanted to know about them.

Noddamimic returned with the requested items, and taking a cue from Theodoric, Belmund also picked out a used traveller's cloak, this one a deep green with the usual wear and tear on the bottom. The woodworker's tools were definitely used, the drawknife having been sharpered perhaps one too many times, leaving the blade thinner than it should have been, but still functional for quick jobs. The rest were worn in all the right places, showing that these tools had actually belong to someone who loved the craft. "Aye," he nodded to the gnome, "ye've got an eye for exactly what folk need, as usual, Nodda. I owe ye one." And with that, he handed over the necessary coin.

Communication establish, he conversation wrapped up and tea was had, if only for a moment.

Belmund could not stop worrying about the Cult infiltrating the North enough to properly enjoy his tea.

---------------------

Belmund was not a fan of funerals, but attended, staying near the back to give the family space. He was not much of a mourner, but didn't deny the right to anyone else. Except maybe Akbar. That guy was a real dung bucket and every word he spoke seemed to be a stinking muck that sloshed over the sides. Belmund scowled at his words, but resisted the urge to toss a rock into his jabbering mouth.

Being new to the group, he did not know Rahnur well, but already had a healthy respect for him and the way he composed himself. Remaining silent and somber for the ceremony, he watched the other mourners, looking for Cultist spies. He did not expect commotion, in this case, but his understanding of the Cult's reach grew by the minute and he did not doubt that at least one was in attendence, watching them. But who?

Upon the fall of dirt, Rahnur's loved one was laid to rest. Belmund waited patiently to approach, offering condolences. "Ye honor yer family bond, well, Rahnur. We should all take note." Refraining from his usual prattle, he put his hand on Rahnur's shoulder as he spoke. It need not be said aloud, but Belmund would have Rahnur's back just as much as the rest of the group. Together they would see this thing through or fall trying.

----------------------

A few hours before reporting for his part in the caravan, Belmund found himself checking his gear. The sawdust he'd playfully tossed in his beard and around his shirt made for a nice touch, but he was careful to not overdo it. He wondered if it would get itchy after they set out. The woodworker's tools that Noddamimic had supplied felt right in his hands, though he'd only done a little actual woodworking in his time. He had some mechanical knowledge of fixing wagon wheels and axles, but not enough to do any major jobs. His new cloak, a deep and dark green, smelled of moss, indicating that the previous owner had spent much time in the wilds. Perhaps that was why he was attracted to it. Belmund was eager to get out of the city and back on the road.

Spotting Wendy masquerading as Dardanelle, he hustled over to try out his new persona, Murdoc Loghammer, while pretending to assess the cart.

"I appreciate you having me," he started, attempting to take the lilt out of his accent to add to his deception. Turning his attention to the cart, he whistled low. "So, there she is, eh? Is that the Primavera model from Gibson & Sons? Hadda slip-tennon on the back axle that was a work of art, that one. Well, ah'll be more'n...er, I'll be more than happy to keep her wheeling down the road for you!"

It was clear he knew fairly little about wagons. Particularly this wagon, since he'd see it all of once after meeting the group. In any case, he was having fun with the character and with any luck, that would count for something.

OOC

Noddamimic's: Belmund asks Talun if there are any Cultists (or factions) that might turn traitor.

Funeral: Belmund pays his respects and scans the funeral-goers for spies (aka people who are watching them)

Prep for Caravan: Belmund tries out his new persona on Wendy for RP sake

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Perception_Check
1d20+5 5

IC

spacer.pngRahnur Rhahlem

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2594301

NG Half-Drow Fighter (Champion) Lvl 4  AC 15 HP 34/34 Speed 30 ft. PP 14

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 8 (-1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Strength Save: +1
Dexterity Save: +4; Acrobatics +6
Constitution Save: +3
Intelligence Save: +1
Wisdom Save: +2; Insight +4, Perception +4
Charisma Save: +2; Persuasion +4

Attack and Scores

2 Shortswords +6, 1d6+4; Longbow +8, 1d8+4, 150/300; Dagger +6, 1d4+4, 20/60

Class and Race Abilities

Darkvision: 60 ft.
Drow Magic (DC 12):
At will - Dancing LightsYou create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

1/day - Faerie FireEach object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

Fey AncestryYou have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Fighting Style: Archery

Second Wind (Recharges After a Short or Long Rest)You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
: 1d10+3

Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

"Think I can talk you into letting me see it before I head back out," Rahnur said half-jokingly before he thought for a second, "And if it's big, good luck to that butler in making sure he can back to the Upper City. Always hated jobs like that. Patriar's rarely paid extra if they expected us to deliver it for them." Rahnur shuddered at those jobs as if he could feel the headache coming on. He had a bit of a smile on his face before he continued although he appeared to return to be serious, "I greatly appreciate your help. Be careful, my uncle is apparently blinded by his own pride that he'll snap at anyone he disagrees with. Or maybe it's just me and my associates." He then scratched his cheek, "Just make sure you do not punch the man. I am not his biggest fan, but the last thing I need is for you to be arrested my friend. Also, yes, Waterdeep is for the best. I'll be heading there next once...everything's settled."

When Stephan pulled him into a hug and spoke, Rahnur didn't say much. He could say he was very much the definition of tense with both anger and sadness. He was sure he hadn't even had time to properly grieve. Hugging Stephan tightly afterwards, Rahnur forced on a smile, "Thanks...I promise to not get reckless. Besides, I think I'll take on a few fun projects to keep my mind occupied, so I don't stew over." he said and tried to laugh but it came out forced, "Maybe I'll make another owlbear figurine. Thanks for the recommendations. We should...hang out just the two of us before I leave. And thank you for helping me to look into this."

The day of the funeral, Rahnur had made sure to put on his best clothes and tried to put on his best face. Anyone who perhaps paid attention could see he had not slept that well the night before and it took a lot of work to keep his back straight and his voice even as he greeted and thanked those who were coming. He knew his family had friends. The only way they would ever survive in the Lower City is to be apart of a crew, which in turn was a big part of your community; but he didn't think his father had this many people in the corner. It was almost enough to have him break down and cry like he had the first night he was finally able to be alone.

Rahnur twisted his hands in his lap as the ceremony went on, occasionally he would bite his lower lip as he felt the eyes of a few people, and Rahnur could tell the confrontation was coming from his father-in-law a mile away. Actually, he could perhaps see it coming from Waterdeep. When he was offered to give his words, Rahnur took a deep breath and forced himself to the front.

"My father was not perfect, but I would still say he was a man who to look to as an example. He loved his wife with all of his heart, treated my sevgillibeloved like his own daughter, and did not care what anyone thought of him when he called me his son. He taught me a craft that I loved today and how to use a bow that has saved my life more times than I can count. He taught me how to care for others, to appreciate the things in life even if that life does not provide you the best cards." Rahnur stopped to take a breath, "Despite failing health, he gave his life to protect his family. A true hero and true man despite what anyone would say. I will mourn him until I meet Kelemvor for judgement, but I will always look to him for guidance on how I will continue to provide and care for my family."

Once he was finished, Rahnur retook his seat and gave his mother a squeeze to her shoulder as he took another shaky breath.

When respects are given, Rahnur once more gave his thanks - returning the hug to Stephan and frowning when Timber's emotions were on their face and yet they wouldn't speak. Once they were alone, he was sure to confront her, "You would not be the first one to snap at me this week, so I won't be too offended if you did. Safe to assume you're worried about Loren as well."

His father-in-law's words were something that shouldn't have hurt, but it did. His fists clenched on and off as he barely held his tongue. He was a man whose daughter had been kidnapped and was grieving, but why did it feel as though he was another person who wanted to blame him. Rahnur had left only because his father had requested it. If Rahnur had his way, he would have stayed and continued his normal routine. Right now, he would be begging Loren for to make his favorite treat for dessert before disappearing back into his workshop to get some work done. The only threat he would have deal with was the Guild, but that was to be expected and ensuring bills on the shop were being paid.

Rahnur was sure he would have snapped if it wasn't for Daniella whose words didn't exactly make him feel better, but it did help to pull him back from what was sure to be something insulting, "Thank you." he said with a shaky voice.

When lunch came, Rahnur had decided to pull Maleek to the side "I will ask you what I asked Stephan. If you can, please look out for my mother. I know it won't be easy, but I would like as many eyes on her as possible while I'm gone." he then looked to his mother who was seated, "Also if you can, I need help. I am fairly sure the Cult had help with the Guild, and I want as much information on who was involved. Once I bring Loren back and deal with this cult, those from the Guild that had their hands in it are next."

When Rahnur approached Edhelri (after tipping the half-orc a gold piece for both the tune and the tip), he almost laughed at what appeared to be a rather fun bath time for the dog at least, "I'm sorry to bother you," he started as he cleared his throat, "I came to inquire about the job for the caravan. I do love to see how another woodworker handles the craft and like to improved on it. My skills as a woodworker makes me well equipped to take care of the wagons and I do have prior experience to back this up. I am also capable of being a guard if you prefer. They say I am quite skilled with a bow."

For the rest of the week, Rahnur would focus on getting affairs in order. That included handling any paperwork that came with the shop and the funeral. He would also pay his Guild fees for the next three months. During his free time, he would be holed up in his inn room to redo the crates he had made for the dragon eggs. If they were going to be working close to the Cult, Rahnur would need to make sure no one noticed the cargo.

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+4 20
Woodcarving New Crates (I assume Dex)
1d20+6 10

image.png.e71a7aa4717c5597a5d2af7105589c79.pngTaliesin Wanderer (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 19 |  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ ○ (metamagic)

Taliesin attended Rahnur's father's funeral, though he hung back. He didn't quite know what he was doing there, he hadn't known the man. He was simply there out of a sense that he should be there, for some reason. He didn't quite know what it was, but it was buried deep. Rahnur... there was a man worth getting to know, and supporting.

The Wanderer sidled close after the speeches, when others were paying respects. He was impressed by the number of people who had a good story or two to tell about Jemum. He hoped some might do the same at his own funeral, but he knew a life spent wandering meant few deep ties were made. Still, he resolved to try and leave a mark on the world similar to the deceased.

At the words exchanged between Jervis and Rahnur, Taliesin felt he should have been elsewhere. Potentially, he should have been there, by Rahnur's side. Giving him a squeeze on the forearm, offering quiet words of support. But he wasn't there, and he didn't. Taliesin felt oddly about this; he wasn't one to cultivate ties, but his instincts were telling him he needed to be there for the half-elf. He shook his head and moved ever closer, watching over proceedings and ensuring things didn't get out of hand.

The Wanderer and the Masked Man met at the Mortuary. Obligation, as opposed to personal ties, was something he knew well. It seemed his whole life was an obligation, a duty. And at least the Gauntlet was doing some good in the world.

The Mortarch's news was extraordinary, and unwelcome. "More than one. Four, in the last month, you say? An epidemic."  He shares a look with Theodoric. "Have you shared your suspicions with anyone else? I realize you may not be believed, but some may take your warnings to heart. Any preparation is better than none at all."

Upon the production of the dagger, Taliesin takes a keen interest. He racks his brain for where he'd seen something similar before. It seems confirmation of Cult activity, on the rise everywhere. Even in the cities of the Sword Coast.

Taliesin looks at Theodoric again. "I fear there is not much we can do before we go."  He includes the Mortarch in the conversation. "What can we do to help before we leave?"

Mechanics

Action: Trying an Investigation check to listen for rumors; anything related to the caravan or the cult, or the Harpers or the Gauntlet.

Bonus Action:

Move:

Other:

Posted (edited)
18 Kythorn

At the Low Light, Evermor grins, quite interested in this young noblewoman who has a taste for the Weave's wonders. "So be it. You can begin by cataloguing my collection for me, determining its contents, and if you should happen to find scrolls or spellbooks, so be it: you can study them at your leisure and perhaps I can be amenable to part with them. If you show your value, at least. Now on with you: I've a dark corner to brood in and a young woman interested in me giving her coin is ruining my image." His look is amused.

Elsewhere, at Noddamimic's warehouse, questions rise and so does business. Belmund's question is a simple one, and Talun shakes his head. "There's so little we know. This new order in the Cult has upended everything we thought we knew through centuries of study. Now there appear to be five factions officially, and a sixth if you go unofficially. The five are all defined by the five main types of chromatic dragons: red, blue, green, black, and white. In theory all of the Wyrmspeakers are equal, but the only one we know anything of is Rezmir. They mostly work alone, but they are working towards some common goal. The sixth faction is those of the old guard, those clinging to power despite being of the older version of the Cult. Some are being carefully included, others killed vaingloriously. It's a rough business, being an evil cultist: but that's all we know. They are technically rivals.... but they're also allies. What you would expect from dragon-worshipers, really."

19 Kythorn

The funeral underway, everyone is on their best behavior. When Rahnur stands to speak on his father, all eyes are on him, and silence falls. spacer.pngspacer.png

If Rahnur can be successfully accused of one thing, it is making his mother cry. His speech about his father and his dedication to family hits her in just the right places: as she sobs, she nods along, smiling. When he finishes, Rahnur joins her and comforts her, and as he squeezes her arm, she squeezes back. "You are the ray of sunshine that breaks the storm, boy." The funeral continues onward, and Rahnur's allies circle around him while the angry come to express their rage. He takes Timber's silence in stride and speaks for himself, which leads to an eruption. "Don't! Don't speak to me, Rahnur. Either bring her back, or die never having said a word to me. That's all you're good for right now." Soon Rahnur suffers the tears of his father-in-law, but is met with Dani's comfort, which is a rare gift best treasured. Maleek, nodding, embraces his friend. "Of course. I have a better reason for being in Little Calimshan than he does, and he and I can coordinate how to contact you and with what. Dark days, Rahnur: it's reassuring you've been swept into it, but the circumstances could not be worse. Not yet, anyway."

Soon they all part in their own directions, some heading to speak to the Mortarch there in the cemetery, others looking for work... or "work," in some cases like Belmund's.

Below, Aralim and Theodoric question the Mortarch Scyre on her theory and evidence. "The Fist and the Watch are all spread throughout: not every guard is going to visit every one. But I attended the funeral scene of the first, saw the crime scene... and I've had my fellow mortarchs on the lookout as well. The details are the same: a slit throat, signs of a fight, and a symbol. It was smeared, looked rough, but I thought the first one was a dragon, just like the one at the Rhahlem residence. I've not shared this with anyone... you have to understand how Baldur's Gate works. You cannot always trust the authorities to do the right thing. It's the right authority you must trust. I want to make sure what I've found sees something done, and I suspect you lot are on the same page as I am. And you know the right authorities." And then, an offer: "I do not know what you can do. Who can I trust with what I know? That should suffice... but you could also help us. We've overwhelmed with bodies and services as it is. A taste of Lathander and Tyr might help things. I'm sure the local religious will appreacite you helping us bridge the gap: since the ascension of the Flaming Fist and Grand Duke Ravengard, we've been careful about associating with one another. Not because of him, but because... of the rise of the Dead Three." She seems spacer.pngnervous at the mere mention of them.

Rahnur, meanwhile, finds Edhelri Lewel with her horse, speaking to it lowly in Elven. At his appearance, she seems apprehensive, non-plussed, but his words are simple and sincere. She loosens her tension. "Given my cart is full of wood and woodworking, you're right to come to me. And we'll need that bow, I think. You've an air about you, like someone who knows your way about it. I see it in you, the dhaerow... but I see more to you than mere skin and heritage. Your pay will be ten gold. In the meantime, you can do some work to prepare some of the pieces, inspecting them and making sure they are of quality. Consider that your test."

And he passes, surprising no one.

23 Kythorn, 1489 DR, Year of the Warrior Princess,
Blackgate, Baldur's Gate

Days pass. They celebrate the Summer Solstice, the 20th of Kythorn, together, one of the last time all of them are gathered together under their true name. Rahnur sees his mother one last time there, and the Gate reports no less than 23 deaths the next day. The Mortarch finds Theodoric and Aralim, informing them of two more murders matching the description. Theodoric also hears from Noddamimic, having come back with reduced prices because of his "associations": 25 gold per poition. Not the best reduction, but it could work.spacer.png

On the 23rd, they gather in the predawn hours in Blackgate, Selebon having them meet outside of town. The group is larger than the manifest said: Imsa's previous driver has brought on a whole noble and his two servants with him, neither happy to be here. Of all of them, Selebon is the least happy to be here.

"Nice to see you all bright and early, I know we're all just thrilled to be here. Now, I'm the representative of Jessimum & Sons, so I'll be handlin' the rules and logistics talk 'fore you lot get on the road. First and foremost: your driver is your master for sixty days. Their word is law. To break that law is to break your contract, and you're on your own on one of Faerûn's most dangerous road ways. Second, let's talk route. First, you'll cross the Fields of the Dead for 'bout four days, speeding as you go. After that, it's a slow crawl north, because move too fast and you risk being noticed. Slow and steady and you won't have an orc raiding party, wyverns, or worse on your tail. Every tendays after today, you get a day off to rest. The route will take you northeast to the Southern Trade Way, which breaks up north of Triel. Once you cross the Boareskyr Bridge, the route picks back up: that's the North Trade Way. No prizes for why they're called that." A half-orc grunts a sigh loudly, and seemingly sincerely. "Now, this ain't a rule, but it's good advice, so take it or die. You are twelve wagons in the wilderness for six tendays. You'll likely find trouble. To face that trouble, you can do it cart by cart... or you can do it together, defendin' one another. You're more likely to make it as a single unit rather than twelve units. Be mindful you're movin' through people's livelihoods. Don't disturb the local peace. And for all the gods' sake, just be pleasant. Now git gone. I have a bed with my name on it and some coins to count." As he passes, he offers a polite nod to Dani and a look to everyone else, and with that, the caravan is underway. The order of wagons is set by the charter and manifest, which each wagon owner has though the particulars of each wagon remain with each driver, if they were ever properly known.

After an hour outside of Baldur's Gate, the wagons pick up speed, and off they go across the Fields of the Dead.spacer.png

The first day sees clouds roll in from the north, threatening to darken and unleash torrents upon them: not an auspicious start. The old timers say it won't hit immediately, perhaps tomorrow, and they prove right. Instead the Fields of the Dead unleash their bounty: occasionally cairns are seen just off their trail, or a stray bone or what not. Old timers tell story of an ancient battle fought here, and so long has past that the farmers who now live here occasionally turn up a whole skeleton and whatever they were buried with, a cause for celebration in some cases.

The old timers prove right when in the middle of the night the torrents begin, and the second day is miserable. It continues raining until the middle of the third day, when irritation wrought by the rain causes a fight to break out: Rahnur's driver Edhelri confronts the newcomer nobleman for abusing his animals. As clouds continue to roll overhead, the fourth day brings an oddity: a woman buried up to her neck, unconscious but alive. Dehydrated and heaving, dust settles on her face, and a sign beside her has a rough warning written on it: OATHBREAKER. Yet there's something familiar about her to Belmund: behind the dust, who is this dying woman? For their part, the old timers say it's bad luck to dig up a traitor to a caravan.

The fifth day, the clouds disappear, and the morning camp is astir: someone saw a golden stag, and more than half of the caravan sees this as a sign. They are organizing a hunting party. Later that day, they reach the Southern Trade Way and by the seventh day cross the Boareskyr Bridge, where a patrol of Elturgard paladins meets them and allows them to pass without any accosting, with pilgrims and workman dwarves passing as well: it is busy and peaceful, and as long as they keep a low profile, no one from Elturel will recognize them. A small wood greets them the next day.

And it is there, on the eighth day and last day of Kythorn, that things get interesting.

Day 3: Animal Abuse

25 Kythorn, 1489 DR, Year of the Warrior Princess,
The Fields of the Dead

The rain has let up, and so has the mood. Or at least, that's the hope.

It's not long after midday that it becomes apparent that Lord Dravish Ertyrngarsh, a noble of Daggerford, has no idea what he's doing with his horses. His bit is not set properly in the mouth, and has come out twice; the horse's bellows are indicative of its pain. The shoes are not properly done, and they could use a proper cleaning too. When he demands it go, he hits too hard, drawing blood occasionally. The beast is poorly off, and though Rahnur has been watching her occasionally, it is here that her anger becomes too much.

Another hit on the flank of the horse from Lord Ertyrngarsh a few carts up, and Edhelri Lewel erupts. "ENOUGH!"spacer.png

She hands the reins to one of the Serelim brothers, carpenters whose handle in the elven style impresses even Rahnur, and Edhelri launches from the wagon with her blade drawn, charging forward and stopping Lord Ertyrngarsh immediately. "I demand you dismount and give me your steed. You have proven you cannot handle any beast, and it will be their death. Dismount, or I will remove you myself." The blade is... is that a moonblade?? Dani, two carts back, has only heard of such things.

Lord Ertyrngarsh scoffs, looking to his fellow rider, a dwarven mage, and his other servant, a half-elven knight, rides back to him. Calls to stop go off ahead, along with cries of annoyance.

"You cannot be serious, elf. I'll handle my animals as I see fit. Get back to your own wagon and mind your business, or my associates here will see to it the cart behind us needs a new driver once they're done thrashing you."

Edhelri sharpens her stance as the knight in the lord's service draws his zweihander.

"They may try."

What was that about caravan unity?

Day 4: Payback

26 Kythorn, 1489 DR, Year of the Warrior Princess,
The Fields of the Dead

spacer.pngMidafternoon proves warm in all the worst ways: it is humid here as they approach the South Trade Way. At night, the old timers tell story of how there was once a road crossing the Fields of the Dead, in the time just before the Spellplague: but since then, the Trade Way has fallen into disarray, causing places like Elturgard to step up where major metropolis like Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep fail. Yet in the oppressive heat, there is an oddity ahead on the road, a call going back. "Traitor buried in the road! Steer clear!"

Each cart in turn steers clear. The first of the Heroes of Greenest's wagons is Edhelri's, which listens but the elven woman seems nervous. "Should we steer clear? Or should we help him? What could be so bad as this?" As they approach, she sighs, and the Serelim brothers explain to Rheirum protocol. There is a woman ahead, caked in dust that obscures the true color of her skin or hair, her breathing rattling like a snore from the dust of the caravan continuing to cake her in dust and mud. Unconscious, a sign beside her reads plainly: OATHBREAKER. Noorhar explains. "This means they did something to their caravan. Whoever this woman is, she's bad news, it seems."

Lasfelro the Silent steers clear easily, his gargoyle growling at her. Dani's wagon, driven by Evermor, moves past her without a second thought or even an explanation, leaving Dardanelle Lazuli and her bunch to consider what to do. As they do so, Murdoch Loghammer pauses. He recognizes parts of her face. A vague recollection, nothing serious, but there is something to her.

How does he know that face?

Imsa, for her part, ponders. "No one likes a traitor. Maybe nature should run its course?"

Day 5: The Golden Stag

spacer.png27 Kythorn, 1489 DR, Year of the Warrior Princess,
The Fields of the Dead

At first light, everyone sees it.

Standing in the woods nearby where the caravan slept the night before, a massive stag, gold in color, stands before the dawning sun. Staring at them, it causes everyone to give pause, and then it turns and trots away.

Several wagons come up with the idea separately: this is a good omen, and they should collect the omen. Kill the stag for good measure, keep its meat and potentially sacrifice it to some god to bless their travel (Waukeen? Shaundakul?). Bows are taken up, spears too, and a hunting party of twenty is formed.

They head for the stag.

Some consider it a sign to get more sleep, others continue working. Imsa, though, worries, and so does Edhelri. "That ain't right: stag just standin' there, all majestically. We gonna kill it? Makes no sense." She won't stop them, but Edhelri has similar thoughts. "They will bring this caravan to ruin."

Day 8: Spider Woods

spacer.png30 Kythorn, 1489 DR, Year of the Warrior Princess,
South Trade Way north of Boareskyr Bridge,
Delimbiyr Vale, Sword Coast

The caravan's speed lessens now, even moreso than it did when two days ago they hit the South Trade Way and yesterday when they crossed the Boareskyr Bridge and its small militia of holy warriors. Evermor explains to Dani why without her asking. "A caravan of this size puts up a cloud of dust and even moving fast, we'd draw attention. From predators, from bandits, from less savory things. Better slow and safe, as much as it irks anyone in the business of trade here. But, we'll take a break in the shadow of Dragonspear Castle, I should think. Still."

As a midday meal is called, snacks are handed out of each wagon, the smell of some being horrendous (Lasfelro especially) while others are downright delicious. It is sudden when the scream picks up.

"Spiders!" and "Ettercaps!" come from the first of two wagons belonging to Achreny Ulyetin, several wagons up. The ones before it arm themselves but only to keep a parameter; the rest begin to arm themselves and a debate begins: do they help? From a distance, Rheirum sees giant spiders, three in total, attacking the guards while three strange figures shamble around, going not after the people, but the horses.

What are they to do?

Out of Character

spacer.png
Caravan Stats
84/84 Travelers
12/12 Wagons
8/60 days passed
Caravan Members

Welcome to the caravan!

A few things and every time I make a post I'll do one of these. The following are general things I need, and then day-specific things I need.

General rules:

• I need everyone to roll me 5 Initiatives. These will be used in potential combat situations, some of which are optional, some of which are probably not.
  • Influencing the Caravan is an optional rule you can use, as conflict may potentially come up and other caravaneers may help you out if you're friendly with them. Persuasion, Deception, etc. come to mind. If a wagon or individual members of a wagon are friendly towards you, you may get support. The Dc will depend on who you're trying to influence and how. If you want to learn about a NPC or wagon beforehand, you have the manifest and thus list of names and goods, but influencing people is a different matter. Green Imsa is friendly to everyone, but Evermor is only friendly to Dani, for example. Imsa is one person, but Evermor has a whole wagon. Some cart drivers will be downright hostile, thus influencing individual people makes more sense.
  • To investigate the CotD wagons, you'll need to either physically search them, or pick up on rumors. How you do is up to you, and what you're searching for sets the DC. Hit me up in Discord for those.
  • On days with events, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE. Pick what interests your character, or if someone else is already acting, you can add rolls to help them out. I'm trying to limit how big your posts get, because I know I don't like how big mine are getting. In cases like Day 3, I will provide information to people so they can complete the roleplaying without me, meaning you have complete freedom of the scene.
  • If you're feeling fancy, on any day, with an event or not, you can create a roleplaying situation, such as influencing a NPC, and like above, we can resolve it with rolls and I'll give you complete freedom. This is, like above, completely optional.
  • Discuss events in the chat and how best to tackle them and who's got lead. Days will have specific instructions: read those.
  • Deception and Stealth will be very important to maintaining a low profile.
  • I need to know where and how the dragon eggs are being stored. I need to know how warm or cold it is, and I need a check to be made on how successfully they are hidden. This is extremely important to me and completely made up.
  • Assume you have time to do long rests and downtime activities on your schedule in addition to jobs (see below).
  • For downtime and jobs:
    • Dani, make an Investigation check to sort and organize things. The higher the DC, the more likely it is to be an arcane tome or scroll. Evermor is likely to provide the materials for your spellbook, such was your impression, thus reducing the costs.
    • Rahnur, make a check to produce woodworks or inspect the wood work to make sure nothing is wrong with it. The higher the DC, the better, and thus you can potentially make money from this once the caravan reaches Waterdeep.
    • Everyone Else, since you're all on the same wagon, you can decide how into your identities you want to get and how good your labor is. Want to work? Go for it. Don't want to? That's fine, but it may give you disadvantage on rolls if certain people realize you're not really working.
  • Payment for Dani and Rahnur will come on days 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60. You will also be given additional downtime activities (like gambling and dancing!) to earn money or sell things on those days, which I will describe as an event but a minor one.
  • When I give you control of a NPC for the purpose of roleplaying, I'll provide details given to me from the adventure. About half of the NPCs are made up entirely, giving you complete freedom on personality, appearance, etc. If you like, you can make a token for pretty much any NPC I have not made. Use the Caravan page linked above to proceed accordingly.

Day 3

• Resolve this situation as you see fit: Persuasion, Intimidation, or Deception to diffuse or make one side back off, or you can try combat. DC for Dravish is 16, DC for Edhelri is 20. Dravish's servants are 13. Helping the animals in question is another matter entirely.

Day 4:

• Belmund has advantage on figuring out who the devil this woman is.
  • To revive her, a healing spell, a DC 10 Medicine check reveals she needs water, and you automatically pass any check to dig her up. I'll provide details about her in the Discord once asked; tag me.

Day 5:

• Participating in hunting is possible. Use Survival and others to do so.
  • A DC 14 check of your choosing can determine if this is in fact a good or bad omen.
  • Convincing others to stop is a DC 16 Persuasion or Intimidation check, but the check above might help convince others if done right.
  • If you get 19 or above on your check, I can provide additional details about the golden stag that fit which plot I decide to go with regarding the stag.

Day 8:

• Stopping the spiders and such will require time to get to that wagon: 3 turns will have passed, which might be good or bad. From there, I'll provide further information but I fully expect you lot to jump into combat.
  • Failing to help Wagon 6 will incur disadvantage on any rolls to influence anyone on wagons 6 and 7.

Final thoughts: my next post will likely be to continue the plots above, and potentially initiate combat on days 2 and 8. We can resolve this one of two ways: natural combat, or we can fast combat in Discord. That entails rolling back and forth from me and you lot, and you lot describing your actions IC. Once there is no further activity from Days 2 and 8, I will proceed to the next branch of the journey, which will cover days 9 through 22 by my current reckoning.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy
Level 4 Goblin Urchin Druid (Circle of the Moon)

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

STR: 10 (+0) | DEX: 15 (+2) | CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1) | WIS: 18 (+4) | CHA: 8 (–1)

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16, passive Investigation 11
Wild Shapes: 2/2 per short rest

More Traits, Features, and Abilities

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Tools. disguise kit, herbalism kit, painter’s supplies

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 8 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal savagery, shape water, shillelagh
1st level (2/4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, good berry, healing word, speak with animals
2nd level (3/3 slots): enlarge/reduce, moonbeam, pass without trace

Cantrips

control flames, shape water, shillelagh

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

List of Beasts Wendy Can Turn into

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

pp: 0 | gp: 38 | ep: 16 | sp: 40 | cp: 208 | 100 gp gemstone: 1

Inventory

Worn or At-Hand (an interact with object to retrieve)

1 set of Frulam Mondath’s purple robes (won from killing Frulam Mondath, 3 lb.)
1 set of leather armor (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 wooden shield (starting equipment, 6 lb.)
1 Black Dragon Helm (wooden shield) (looted off Tiamat Statue, 6 lb.)
1 hat of disguise (Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement) While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.) (won in Elturel fair)
1 druidic focus (wooden staff—starting equipment, 4 lb.)
7/7 daggers (small knife—starting equipment & confiscated from kobolds, 1 lb.)
1 handaxe (starting equipment, 2 lb.)
1 shortsword (—)
1 sling (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, —)
30/30 sling bullets (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, 33.6 oz. (1.2 oz, each)
1 backpack (starting equipment, 5 lb.)
1 belt pouch (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 fifty-foot, hempen rope (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 waterskin (starting equipment, 5 lb. (full))
1 hooded lantern (bought in Greenest, 2 lb.)
5/5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

Stowed away in, or Strapped to Her Backpack (an action to retrieve)

15/15 days’ worth of rations (starting equipment, 20 lb.)
1 map of the city you grew up in (Waterdeep—from urchin background)
1 mess kit (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 tinderbox (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)
10/10 torches (starting equipment, 9 lb.)
1 painter’s supplies (from starting 500 gp item, 5 lb.—topped off in Elturel)
1 disguise kit (from starting 500 gp item , 3 lb.)
1 herbalism kit (purchased with 5 of the 10 starting gold, 3 lb.)
1 set of common clothes (starting equipment, 3 lb.)
1 painting by an artist long forgotten by everyone except a dragon
1 potion of ??? (won in Elturel fair)

Party Wagon (pulled by Ruby)

Wendy and her friends!

75/75 days’ worth of feed (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 pack saddle (bought in Greenest, 15 lb.)
1 bit and bridle (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 saddlebags (bought in Greenest, 8 lb.)
1 two-person tent (bought in Greenest, 20 lb.)
1 bedroll (starting equipment, 7 lb.)
1 chest (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 cases for maps and scrolls (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 set of fine clothes (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 lamp (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 bottle of ink (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 ink pen (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 flasks of oil (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
5/5 sheets of paper (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 vial of perfume (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 sealing wax (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 soap (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)

Sanders (Wendy’s Pet Mouse from Her Urchin Background)

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Str 2 (–4) Dex 11 (+0) Con 9 (–1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 4 (–3)

Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

Ruby (Wendy’s Draft Horse—Purchased in Greenest)

D5qG4Ge.png

Ruby (pulling the Party Wagon)

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Str 18 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Con 12 (+1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 7 (–2)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

IC
19 Kythorn

At the funeral for Rahnur’s father, Wendy sticks by him to give him support and channels her fierce goblin heritage to give all Rahnur’s naysayers an accursed evil eye. Some of them might feel like they’d be swallowed up by the fires of hell on the spot if her gaze could do any more than mere reality would let it.

When they walk away, ensuring that she would be overheard, she comments to him, “I get the distinct impression that everyone here cares a lot less about your wife and child and a lot more about just being an asshole to you, Mr. Rahnur. Well, either way, just remember that you’ve got people that care about you, here with you, and we’ll do everything we can to get your wife and baby back safely!” then, after a thought, she adds, “And to be frank, there doesn’t seem to be hardly anyone, here, worthy of you bringing her back to them, so maybe you should consider setting up shop in Waterdeep, once you’ve rescued your family and we’ve all taken care of the lizard queen. At least your family’ll be surrounded by real friends.”

Then she whispers in his ear, And if I have to listen to one more person treat you like egg-scream-meant, I’m just going to straight up maul them.

20 Kythorn

Though she’s not a “Close One”, “Pastoral”, or “True Shaper”—the lowest ranks of Chauntea’s clergy, as a devout member in good standing, Wendy dresses herself in an unbleached linen tunic and carried a green seed pouch, slung over one shoulder. She walks to the Harvest House, the temple of Chauntea in Baldur’s Gate—a surprisingly small shrine. The little goblin girl must have cut a very comical figure to the locals watching her walk barefooted with dirt rubbed all over her face to the sadly small shrine. Her orange hair was let down and loose, accentuated by wildflowers and ivy weaved into her short locks. She also wore a girdle embroidered with images of various fruits.

There she met a couple of other Chauntea faithful and worshiped her goddess. When she discovered that there were no Close Ones to oversee their worship, she tentatively offered to lead, and happily does so, if the others allow it.

23 Kythorn, 1489 DR, Year of the Warrior Princess,
Blackgate, Baldur’s Gate

Once the representative for the caravan is long out of earshot, Wendy affects his gruff mannerisms and points to her wagon’s occupants. “You heard the man!” she says, “Umph! Umph! My word is LAW, and you better OBEY! That especially means YOU, Mr. Taliesin! And you, too, Mr. Murdock!” She can’t stop the fit of giggles that follows. “In all seriousness, good to have you four with me! Let’s have a safe, and hopefully pleasant trip. We’ve all got each other’s backs, right? I’ve certainly got yours!”

“Ms. Imsa,” she says, turning to her green friend, “You can lay your bed roll across those two crates, okay?” She points to the two 3-foot-cubed heavy wooden crates on the right side of the wagon. “I’ve piled up a mixture of some straw and down feathers across them under that blanket for cushioning—so don’t fiddle with the blanket, or feathers’ll go everywhere! You can just leave it unrolled on there, unless you wanna lay it on top of the wagon like me to air it out and let the sun dice-in-fact it during the day like I do—Me Ma ’n’ me Da taught me to do that! My bedroll will be on this side, across these two crates.” She points to the left side of the wagon. “I’m a little superstitious, so stay on your side of the wagon! And I don’t like even numbers, either, so it’s good we have the five of us!”

“There’s room in the back on the floor enough for two of you guys to sleep, and I’ve also got a two-person tent stowed in that fifth crate over there for anyone who wants to use it. It’s got lots of other useful stuff in it, too!” (OOC: Check Wendy’s Inventory and click on the Party Wagon tag to see what’s in the box! [More Traits, Features, and Abilities] → [Party Wagon (pulled by Ruby)] under “Inventory”, at the bottom.)

What Wendy isn’t telling anyone, other than her party, who already knows, is that . . .

• Crate 1 (under Wendy’s bedroll and a cushion of straw, close to the front) in her Wagon is a heavy wooden box filled with straw surrounding Egg 1. On top of the straw is enough art supplies and some of her paintings to appear to be full of art supplies. It’s nailed tightly shut and will require a crowbar and time to open it, but she can make sure that if they’re inspected, they can make a rightfully big deal about opening one of the crates and making it everyone’s problem to do so.
  • Crate 2 (also under Wendy’s bedroll, close to the back) is similarly filled with Egg 2 and nailed shut.
  • Crate 3 (under Imsa’s bedroll, close to the front) is similarly filled with Egg 3 and nailed shut.
  • Crate 4 (under Imsa’s bedroll) is actually just filled with art supplies and paintings, and only lightly nailed shut.
  • Crate 5 (in the back of the wagon, on the left side) is filled with useful equipment for the party.
  • Crate 6 (in the back of the wagon, on the right side) is filled with all the horse feed and rations Wendy and her horse, Ruby, will need for the journey, as well as any rations any other party members put in there.

Wagon.png.c933cd276aea9fc2f2c85f0700dbf165.png

Crates 1–4 are all labeled as:

Art Supplies & Paintings
The
“Dardanelle Lazuli,
Malachite,
& Pastoral”
Paintings & Art Supplies Co.™,
Est. 1481 DR

Crates 5 & 6 are all labeled as: “Feed & Rations” and “Company Equipment”, respectively.

Day 1: “Carousing”

During their scheduled breaks on the road, Wendy is quick to snarf down a third of her daily ration, throw on her hat of disguise, grab her painter’s supplies, and then head over to chat with other caravanners, offering to do portraits for them. Of course, she gives them the going rates, but does offer a free sketching, if they balk a 5 gp for a bust.

She’ll spend the hour sitting and chatting happily with them as she draws, or paints if they’re willing. Once the hour is up, she’ll rush back to her wagon. Wendy can drive the wagon, or anyone with driving skills can, but Dardanelle Lazuli is a well-dressed gnome or halfling woman, no one can be quite sure.

Day 2: Rain

The rain make this day crappy all around and Wendy can’t really do much carousing, but she’ll give it her best!

“Hey! Hey! HEY!” Dardanelle comes rushing up.

She’d just been in the middle of doing one of her sketch portraits—the person refused to pay until they got to “see the quality [her] work, before [they] pay [her] a single copper piece!”—when the commotion with the horses, Edhelri, and the noble broke out. They were nearby, so it wasn’t hard to excuse herself from the sitting and intervine.

“I couldn’t help but overhear that you’re having trouble with your horses,” she says. “Now, before you big, strong men™ get to discover just how big and strong you really are or aren’t, and before you,” she points to Edhelri “start carving them up with that fancy sword of yours, why don’t you all give me a few minutes to talk to your horses and find out just what the issue is.”

Not waiting for permission, she incants in druidic, O Chauntea, caniatâ imi ieithoedd y bwystfilod a’r doethineb i ddeall eu geiriau!O Chauntea, grant me the tongues of the beasts and the wisdom to understand their words! whilst waving her druid’s staff in intricate patterns. A wind picks up and green light shines from all around before settling like a crown of flowers upon her head.

Neigh-neigh-splpbbpbpbpbt-neigh! she sounds comical as she speaks to the horse. One might begin laughing, until the horse and ‘Dardanelle’ begin having a full-blown conversation for the next ten minutes. Often with the horse whipping its head around to indicate the noble and his goons, nodding along and sometimes shaking its head.

The spell ends, the glowing green crown of flowers dissipates and ‘Dardanelle’ turns to the noble. “The horse—she says her name is Charlene, by the way—Charlene says that you beat her and whip her for the flimsiest of reasons, and that you don’t feed her anywhere nearly enough. She says she watches the other horses munch happily on hay and feed but she has to make due with a one feeding a day. She says you haven’t taken the saddle off her back for a week before you even joined this caravan! And no one seems to know how to tie the bit and bridle! If I didn’t know Charlene wouldn’t eat you, I’d say let Ms. Edhelri, here, carve you up and serve you to her on a silver platter!”

O Chauntea, iachâ’r ceffyl hwn o’i glwyfau!O Chauntea, heal this horse of its wounds! ‘Dardanelle’ incants, once again waving her staff in an intricate pattern before touching the staff gently to the horse.

“Now,” ‘Dardanelle’ says, “Unlike Charlene, I am perfectly willing to eat you, and I won’t be needing a silver platter.” With that she wildshapes into a 14-foot tall bear standing on its haunches and takes up a fighting stance next to Edhelri.

OOC

Movement:

Action(s): Prepare a Claw Attack (+6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage)

Bonus Action: Wild Shape into Wendibear

Reaction: Claw Attack on Knight if he attacks Edhelri

Interact-with-Object:

Concentration:

I’ll wait for Belmund’s response to this before I post any further, though there are things I’d prefer to do if he otherwise does nothing—assuming he doesn’t beat me to it!

Wendy has no interest in hunting, but she’ll offer to talk to it, if someone would like her to talk to it, otherwise, she’ll let others do their hunting thing. Hunting is part of the balance of nature, too. All carnivorous animals do it, and so do we. She’ll comment that we have plenty of food so hunting isn’t necessary, though, and killing such a fine specimen for sport isn’t good.

Days 6 & 7: “Carousing”

During their scheduled breaks on the road, Wendy is quick to snarf down a third of her daily ration, throw on her hat of disguise, grab her painter’s supplies, and then head over to chat with other caravanners, offering to do portraits for them. Of course, she gives them the going rates, but does offer a free sketching, if they balk a 5 gp for a bust.

She’ll spend the hour sitting and chatting happily with them as she draws, or paints if they’re willing. Once the hour is up, she’ll rush back to her wagon. Wendy can drive the wagon, or anyone with driving skills can, but Dardanelle Lazuli is a well-dressed gnome or halfling woman, no one can be quite sure.

It’s go time! Wendy will rush forward, dashing as need be, spending a bonus action to turn into Wendibear! When Wendibear reaches the nearest monster, she’ll attack!

More to come, in future posts, but this post is finished.

OOC

Movement: Three turns dashing

Action(s): Multiattack the nearest Ettercap: Bite & Claw Attacks, both at +6 to hit, Bite Hit 1d8 + 4 piercing, Claw Hit 2d6 + 4 slashing

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Concentration:

Wendibear
KaM27np.png

Large Beast, Unaligned
Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d10 + 12)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
19 (+4) 10 (+0) 16 (+3) 12 (+1) 16 (+3) 8 (–1)

Proficiency Bonus +2
Saving Throws Int +3, Wis +5
Skills Acrobatics +4, Perception +5, Stealth +4, Survival +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages understands Common, Goblin, and Druidic but can’t speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Actions

Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Environment: Arctic, Forest, Hill

Source: MM, page 319. Also found in PotA; SKT; TftYP; GoS; IMR; MOT; IDRotF; WBtW. Available in the SRD.

To Whom It May Concern . . .

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
Initiative #1
1d20+2 11
Initiative #2
1d20+2 15
Initiative #3
1d20+2 20
Initiative #4
1d20+2 18
Initiative #5
1d20+2 19
Strength (Intimidation) check on the Noble and his Goons
1d20+4 9
Strength (Intimidation) check (Advantage because BEAR!), if DM Allows
1d20+4 11
Prepared Claw Attack on Knight; Damage; Critical Damage (if Applicable)
14; 11; 10
1d20+6;2d6+4;2d6 [8]; [8,2,5]; [8,2,5,5,5]
Bite Attack on Ettercap; Damage; Critical Damage (if Applicable)
12; 5; 7
1d20+6;1d8+4;1d8 [6]; [6,1]; [6,1,7]
Claw Attack on Ettercap; Damage; Critical Damage (if Applicable)
24; 8; 7
1d20+6;2d6+4;2d6 [18]; [18,1,3]; [18,1,3,1,6]

AC: 20 (Plate & Shield) | HP: 36/36 | DR: 3 (Nonmagical B/P/S) | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Class / Race Features | Prepared Spells

Healing Hands (2d4): 1/1 | Celestial Revelation: 1/1 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Harness Divine Power: 1/1 | 1st Lvl Slots: 3/3

19 Kythorn

Speaking with the Mortarch, Theodoric makes careful mental note of the shared details of each of the murders. Growing concern overtakes him as Scyre explains the nature of authority in Baldur's Gate - How deep does this incompetence go? Or is it worse than that? - before he realizes that he already knows who Scyre can trust.

"One of the Watchmen who was also at the scene - Talun. Belmund and I spoke with him yesterday. He has connections to the Harpers, and has further information on the Cult and the separate factions within it, as well as their movements. If there is any authority figure I believe you can trust, it is him. I will inform Belmund that I told you, and have him forward a message. That way you will be expected."

At the offer of assisting with the more religiously-inclined and the mention of the Dead Three, Theodoric nods in understanding. "Tensions must be high, and distrust rampant. I will assist in any way I can." He glances over to 'Taliesin' - he has a feeling he already knows how the priest of Lathander will respond, but doesn't want to speak for him.

After the meeting, he makes a point of pulling Belmund aside and speaking with him privately. "The Mortarch has very important information on the nature of the Cult's murders, including a specific murder weapon. I told her a bit about our talk with Talun - would you be amenable to sending another message to him, telling him Scyre is offering an exchange of information? The more trusted eyes Baldur's Gate has on this, the better."

20-22 Kythorn

The aasimar cannot help but grimace under his steel mask at the news of 23 more deaths. As he has done over the past few days, he works with the priests of Kelemvor as best he can, promising to the remaining families and friends that Tyr will see justice done, even if it may take time to carry out. If he is granted access to any crime scenes, he utilizes Baldriel's divine sight to check for any signs of magic, subterfuge through poison or disease, and the lingering presence of any fiendish or undead influences (using a combination of Detect Magic, Detect Poison and Disease, and Divine Sense). The fact that only two of the murders tie back to the Cult simultaneously puts him at ease and worries him further - was it the influence of the Dead Three causing this sudden rise in death?

He eventually finds a moment to return to Noddamimic's shop, bringing along anyone in the party interested in procuring Potions of Healing, and pays for two of them himself at the discounted rate.

23 Kythorn

Theodoric rises in the early morning before the scheduled time to remove the City Watch and Order of the Gauntlet emblems from his plate armor and don the heavy cloak he had procured from Noddamimic. It wasn't much, but the plate armor wouldn't be horribly uncommon for a trained guard, he would not be removing the emblem of Tyr from his shield, and... he was still conflicted on the mask. After a long moment of consideration, he shakily removes the mask and places it in his bag, and instead ties a few thin strips of translucent cloth around his eyes, as he has seen some in the various orders of knighthood dedicated to Tyr do. In the end, the mask had the chance of being far too recognizable - to the Cult, it essentially was his face. His actual face, charred as it was, may draw more attention in the end, but at least it was a different face.

He was already listed as Theodoric on the charter - no use changing that now, and likely little need.

The aasimar stands at rapt attention as Selebon reviews the specifics of their route and goes over general protocol. He, of course, had a point in mentioning strength in numbers, despite knowing the true natures of some of the riders. It will likely be worth defending the wagons of the Cult members, if only to gain a chance at a closer look. It was underhanded, certainly - but so would refusing to defend the wagons in the first place.

Theodoric can't help but smirk as 'Dardanelle' affects the mannerisms of the gruff man before breaking into her usual cheerful self. He simply nods and says, "Of course, Miss Dardanelle. I'll be sure to be as watchful as ever."

As sleeping arrangements are discussed, Theodoric considers for a moment before stating, "You will learn that I need little in the way of sleep, Miss Dardanelle. I am content sitting in the driver's seat during the night. I prefer to have a modicum of privacy at night anyway." He doesn't go into further detail past that... but they're likely to learn why soon enough.

After spending the first day getting used to the caravan schedule and the second day getting soaked in the rain, the third day of the journey seems to be proceeding smoothly - at first. A commotion a few wagons up draws his immediate attention - and that of Dardanelle, who goes rushing forward. Theodoric considers for a moment whether his duties lie in protecting the wagon or Dardanelle, but reasons that, as Dardanelle is the owner, that her safety came first. As such, he follows behind, one hand hovering near the grip of his warhammer.

If the pompous noble makes even an attempt to stop Dardanelle from carrying out her magic, Theodoric immediately interjects. "Miss Dardanelle is a trained priestess of Chauntea, and has little patience for those clearly unskilled in handling their animals. I suggest you let her carry out her duties." It is as much a threat as a request.

Theodoric is a bit less inclined for this to turn into a bloody conflict, and as Dardanelle takes on her bear form, he seeks to end the fight in a more non-violent manner. If Lord Dravish still refuses to cooperate, Theodoric speaks a singular word, imbued with the celestial awe and terror of his angelic guide - "Dismount."  An arc of glowing eyes - far too many - flashes along his forehead for the briefest of moments at the utterance.

At first, Theodoric is content to pass the buried woman by. If this was how justice worked in the Fields of the Dead, then so be it. He had certainly seen worse. The look of recognition on Murdoch's face gives him pause, however, and he waits to see how his dwarven companion proceeds.

As usual for him, Theodoric is awake in the driver's seat of the wagon when he sees the golden stag, backlit by the rising morning sun. As the other wagons come to a consensus to hunt the stag down and sacrifice it to a nature god, Theodoric consults with Taliesin to discuss the possible religious significance. There was a chance Imsa and Edhelri were right - hunting the stag may be the exact wrong thing to do.

Theodoric follows as swiftly as he can behind Dardanelle as the cries of 'spiders' and 'ettercaps' ring through the midday air. Drawing his warhammer and donning his shield as he goes, he speaks an incantation in Celestial - "May my enemies regret opposing me" - and a layer of clear, prismatic ice, refracting light like diamond, forms around his armor in sharp angles.

OOC

Day 3: Managed a 17 on Intimidation against Lord Dravish. If he still doesn't back down, I'll cast Command to attempt to make him dismount, DC 13 Wisdom saving throw.

Day 4: Waiting on Belmund to act first!

Day 5: Attempted a Religion check to see if it's a good or bad omen, but only got a 12. Maybe Aralim will have better insight!

Day 8: Casting Armor of Agathys as I rush in!

Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Initiative #1
1d20-1 16
Initiative #2
1d20-1 9
Initiative #3
1d20-1 13
Initiative #4
1d20-1 4
Initiative #5
1d20-1 11
Intimidation vs. Lord Dravish
1d20+5 12
Religion - Stag Omen?
1d20+2 10

0p2nINr.jpg

Name: Belmund Brokenstone | Race/Class: Dwarf Ranger | HP: 40/40 AC: 13 PP: 15

Belmund snapped to attention at Wendy playing at taking command. Playing at definitely understated things. Belmund knew Wendy could lead an army, if she had to.

Events unfolded, and each day brough new challenges.

Day 2: Belmund liked the rain. The smell of it brough a freshness that most others missed, a sense of renewal. And renewed he felt, masquerading as one Murdoc Loghammer. While the others sheltered, he let the droplets pelt his face, washing the prop sawdust from his beard, took in the strangely mossy scent from the Fields as he thought back to the legends surrounding them. He looked to the puddles forming, small bubbles popping as new rain fell into them. This meant the storm was higher in the atmosphere, the water trapping gasses that would be thrown to the earth and released as the rain drop broke. He idly wondered if that was the cause of the refreshing feeling. Perhaps it was just the happiness of being back on the road, back in his element and far from the bustle of the city.

Day 3: Belmund has no tolerance for the abuse of creatures, especially those nice enough to carry the burdens of others. Still, he kept silent, not wanting to betray his ranger practices. In any case, Wendy was in command, here, that much was plain. Belmund casually stood, brushing the dust off his woodworking tools, clearing indicating that Wendy and Theodoric had the help, should they need it.

Day 4: Oathbreaker. Traitor. Both powerful words, often made worse by mouths that would abuse them. The woman was dying, as was the intention of the punishment, but regardless of the crime, Belmund has his thoughts about that. "Torture is'nae justice," he said in own voice, keeping it low so that only those in his caravan could hear, "only a fool be confusin' the two." As he spoke, something tugged a memory. The woman's face. It was...familiar?

He retrieved a waterskin from stowage on the cart and crouched down to the woman, offering a drink. A flash of memory, fuzzy though it may be, tells him that he's seen her at a Harper's meeting, though he cannot remember why she was there. He was almost certain she was not a Harper herself, but an ally, perhaps. "What earns a traveller such treatment, then," he asked of her, adopting his Murdoc Loghammer voice again but keeping his voice low, "what oath have you broken?"

OOC

Perception Check on Buried Woman: 13 (Discord).

He definitely has questions and tries to persuade her with his charming Murdoc persona to answer.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Persuation
1d20-1 7
Init_1
1d20+2 4
Init_2
1d20+2 17
Init_3
1d20+2 3
Init_4
1d20+2 2
Init_5
1d20+2 11

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy
Level 4 Goblin Urchin Druid (Circle of the Moon)

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

STR: 10 (+0) | DEX: 15 (+2) | CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1) | WIS: 18 (+4) | CHA: 8 (–1)

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16, passive Investigation 11
Wild Shapes: 2/2 per short rest

More Traits, Features, and Abilities

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Tools. disguise kit, herbalism kit, painter’s supplies

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 8 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal savagery, shape water, shillelagh
1st level (1/4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, good berry, healing word, speak with animals
2nd level (3/3 slots): enlarge/reduce, moonbeam, pass without trace

Cantrips

control flames, shape water, shillelagh

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

List of Beasts Wendy Can Turn into

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

pp: 0 | gp: 38 | ep: 16 | sp: 40 | cp: 208 | 100 gp gemstone: 1

Inventory

Worn or At-Hand (an interact with object to retrieve)

1 set of Frulam Mondath’s purple robes (won from killing Frulam Mondath, 3 lb.)
1 set of leather armor (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 wooden shield (starting equipment, 6 lb.)
1 Black Dragon Helm (wooden shield) (looted off Tiamat Statue, 6 lb.)
1 hat of disguise (Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement) While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.) (won in Elturel fair)
1 druidic focus (wooden staff—starting equipment, 4 lb.)
7/7 daggers (small knife—starting equipment & confiscated from kobolds, 1 lb.)
1 handaxe (starting equipment, 2 lb.)
1 shortsword (—)
1 sling (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, —)
30/30 sling bullets (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, 33.6 oz. (1.2 oz, each)
1 backpack (starting equipment, 5 lb.)
1 belt pouch (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 fifty-foot, hempen rope (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 waterskin (starting equipment, 5 lb. (full))
1 hooded lantern (bought in Greenest, 2 lb.)
5/5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

Stowed away in, or Strapped to Her Backpack (an action to retrieve)

15/15 days’ worth of rations (starting equipment, 20 lb.)
1 map of the city you grew up in (Waterdeep—from urchin background)
1 mess kit (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 tinderbox (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)
10/10 torches (starting equipment, 9 lb.)
1 painter’s supplies (from starting 500 gp item, 5 lb.—topped off in Elturel)
1 disguise kit (from starting 500 gp item , 3 lb.)
1 herbalism kit (purchased with 5 of the 10 starting gold, 3 lb.)
1 set of common clothes (starting equipment, 3 lb.)
1 painting by an artist long forgotten by everyone except a dragon
1 potion of ??? (won in Elturel fair)

Party Wagon (pulled by Ruby)

Wendy and her friends!

75/75 days’ worth of feed (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 pack saddle (bought in Greenest, 15 lb.)
1 bit and bridle (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 saddlebags (bought in Greenest, 8 lb.)
1 two-person tent (bought in Greenest, 20 lb.)
1 bedroll (starting equipment, 7 lb.)
1 chest (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 cases for maps and scrolls (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 set of fine clothes (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 lamp (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 bottle of ink (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 ink pen (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 flasks of oil (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
5/5 sheets of paper (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 vial of perfume (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 sealing wax (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 soap (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)

Sanders (Wendy’s Pet Mouse from Her Urchin Background)

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Str 2 (–4) Dex 11 (+0) Con 9 (–1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 4 (–3)

Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

Ruby (Wendy’s Draft Horse—Purchased in Greenest)

D5qG4Ge.png

Ruby (pulling the Party Wagon)

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Str 18 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Con 12 (+1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 7 (–2)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

IC

When Theodoric backs her up, she’s very heartened. “Thank you, Mr. Theodoric!” she says before returning to her helping the horse.

When she shifts into bear form, she nods to him as if to say, ‘Thanks for haivn’ my back! I’ll definitely be there for you, when the time comes!’

When Belmund alights from her wagon and rushes over to the woman, Wendy is relieved. She calls a stop to Theodoric, who was driving and follows Belmund.

Waving her staff in an intricate pattern over her open palm and chanting, O Chauntea, darpar i mi, dy was, aeron da cynhaliolO Chauntea, provide me, your servant, with sustanent good berries.., 10 succulent red berries appear in the palm of her hand with a tiny tornado-like swirling shower of of green, red, and gold sparks and rays.

“Here, force her to eat these, and I’ll help you dig her out,” Wendy says, handing a mouthful of the berries to Belmund. “I refuse to allow this disgusting display to continue any further. If she’s earned an execution, then they should have just executed her. Whoever did this has expressly re-link-wished their right to justice by performing this dastardly act. In fact, if I run into the monsters that did this, I’ll put them down like the rabid dogs they are. If this is what they need for justice to be done, then I shall ick-static-ly deny them that justice! And anyway, I’m sure she won’t be breaking any oaths again.”

More to come, in future posts, but this post is finished.

OOC

Movement: Three turns dashing

Action(s): Multiattack the nearest Ettercap: Bite & Claw Attacks, both at +6 to hit, Bite Hit 1d8 + 4 piercing, Claw Hit 2d6 + 4 slashing

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Concentration:

Wendibear
KaM27np.png

Large Beast, Unaligned
Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d10 + 12)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
19 (+4) 10 (+0) 16 (+3) 12 (+1) 16 (+3) 8 (–1)

Proficiency Bonus +2
Saving Throws Int +3, Wis +5
Skills Acrobatics +4, Perception +5, Stealth +4, Survival +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages understands Common, Goblin, and Druidic but can’t speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Environment: Arctic, Forest, Hill

Source: MM, page 319. Also found in PotA; SKT; TftYP; GoS; IMR; MOT; IDRotF; WBtW. Available in the SRD.

To Whom It May Concern . . .

Name
Bite Attack vs Ettercap; Piercing Damage; Critical Piercing Damage (if Applicable)
21; 11; 1
1d20+6;1d8+4;1d8 [15]; [15,7]; [15,7,1]
Claws Attack vs Ettercap; Slashing Damage; Critical Slashing Damage (if Applicable)
24; 11; 4
1d20+6;2d6+4;2d6 [18]; [18,5,2]; [18,5,2,3,1]

IC

spacer.pngRahnur Rhahlem

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2594301

NG Half-Drow Fighter (Champion) Lvl 4  AC 15 HP 34/34 Speed 30 ft. PP 14

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 8 (-1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Strength Save: +1
Dexterity Save: +4; Acrobatics +6
Constitution Save: +3
Intelligence Save: +1
Wisdom Save: +2; Insight +4, Perception +4
Charisma Save: +2; Persuasion +4

Attack and Scores

2 Shortswords +6, 1d6+4; Longbow +8, 1d8+4, 150/300; Dagger +6, 1d4+4, 20/60

Class and Race Abilities

Darkvision: 60 ft.
Drow Magic (DC 12):
At will - Dancing LightsYou create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

1/day - Faerie FireEach object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

Fey AncestryYou have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Fighting Style: Archery

Second Wind (Recharges After a Short or Long Rest)You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
: 1d10+3

Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Baldur's Gate

Rahnur couldn't deny it didn't sting a bit at Timber's words and his fists clenched at his fist, but he didn't push any further. But still, he barely surpressed his laughter when Wendy made her opinion about everything known, "I can always count on you to have my back at least," and he shook his head when Wendy whispered to him. He whispered back, "I'll consider your offer. It won't exactly be easy rebuilding here...still...as much fault as this place has, it has been my home..." he seemed distant for only a few seconds before he blinked and realized Wendy's last statement, "Also, while I wouldn't mind the idea, please don't. I wouldn't exactly be happy with you in prison."

Rahnur was sure to give his now boss a polite bow, "I'll be sure to not disappoint. I thank you for giving me a chance. May Waukeen ensure we have a good trip," he said although he then turned serious and cleared his throat, "You may call me Rheirum."

Day before he was set to leave, Rahnur would be sure his tools were in top shape and that he would also purchase another cloak, this one a dark blue and white scarf. He would also make what had to be his hardest call. He would grab a piece of string and reluctantly remove his ring and place it on the string. He would then tie it around his neck before tucking it beneath his shirt.

Day One

When the day came to leave, he ensured to give one last letter to his mother. The letter simply stated he would be leaving to take care of herself until he and Loren returned. The letter also informed her the guild fees were paid for the next few months so if she did need anything from them that was an option. If she ever needed help, Meleek and Stephan were also available to help her.

He would then arrive in his new cloak and scarf and smiled sheepishly at his boss, "You are one of the few people who are okay with my heritage, but I can't say the same thing for anyone else on the caravan. Best to not make them too uncomfortable." he explained.

As they began their travels, Rahnur decided to get to know his boss a bit better, "So, I noticed you have a love for animals. Is your furry friend coming with us on this journey? Does he want an extra bedroll to keep dry from the incoming rain?"

Day Three: Animal Abuse

Rahnur should have known things were not going to be as easy as it seemed to be. Besides the torrent - the only good thing that came with him buying his new cloak - it had been mostly quiet. And then the privelaged tag along had to prove he was a spoiled brat.

Rahnur could say he had safely been able to get use to Daniella although her clear need to be the smartest in the room still rubbed him the wrong way. She, for her obvious ego, was at least able to be considerate under the right circumstances. But that obviously took time. For this guy, time was not something Rahnur didn't want to waste in getting to know him. Especially when his work was clearly not up to his standards. He had been on watch while working on a project - a poor excuse for a wooden cat - when the commotion started. He scowled at the man's obvious mistreatment for his horse and waited for Wendy to jump in.

And then he mumbled a curse because he didn't think about Edhelri was the first to say something, and nearly bolted out of his spot when she saw him draw a blade, "Now hold on!' when he saw that Wendy - in disguise was ready to join in the fight along with Theodric, "Yes, the man's the backside of a donkey, but now is not the time to be fighting. We will be putting the entire caravan in danger," he then gave Wendy a serious look.Ar' ta naa il- noldo a' Ndengina y' ar-. Lye caela n'uma noa sut hae- ho nosse's reach naa ar' amin il- merna lle ri' associates a' suffer e' i' futureAnd it is not wise to kill a noble. We have no idea how far his family's reach is and I would not want you or associates to suffer in the future

He then turned to Dravish, "You are clearly in the wrong and clearly outmatched," he motioned to the bear and then to Theodric and then to his boss, "So how about you allow Lady Edhelri to have the horse and move on. It would be in your best interest."

Day Four: Payback

Rahnur would watch as the wagon passed by and watched Belmund and Wendy work. He couldn't exactly say he was happy with the idea of just leaving her, but he also knew that him helping them was not a good idea if they wanted to keep their cover.

Day Five: Golden Stag

Rahnur was once more seething at his mediocre work when he heard about the stag hunt. When he heard about Edhelri's concern, he tried to rack his brain. Many people came and went in Baldur's Gate, many of them priests and many of them with their tales. He tried to recall if any of which he had heard doing such a deed would bring ruin

Day Eight: Spider Woods

When Rahnur heard the cry about spiders, his first instinct was to grab his bow and then looked to Edhelri, "Stay back, if they finish off those wagons, they might the others including ours," he was then quick to aim, "And I did say I was good with a bow, so let me show you."

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

H

Edited by Amaryllis77 (see edit history)
Name
Initiative 1
1d20+4 2
Initiative 2
1d20+4 9
Initiative 3
1d20+4 2
Initiative 4
1d20+4 2
Initiative 5
1d20+4 20
Persuasion (Day One, Edhelri)
1d20+4 2
Animal Abuse (Edhelri) 
1d20+4 18
Woodworking (Dex)
1d20+6 5
History (Golden Stag)
1d20+1 16
Shooting a Spider
1d20+8 14
Damage
1d8+4 3
Possible Crit
1d8 1

With Belmund taking action, Theodoric assists in digging the woman up. He is thankful that Wendy has healing berries available if need be - his own healing magics were... less pleasant, both for himself and for the receiver.

Still, he recommends caution to Belmund and Wendy - whispering to both, he says, "For all we know, this could be a Cultist found out by innocent folk - even if you do recognize her, Belmund. This method is the way of things here, like it or not. I hope I am wrong - but I will remain wary."

Will roll Insight on the mystery woman - just in case!

Name
Insight
1d20+3 18

Dani_3-removebg-preview.png.3e744157c29de84676034f12b5219f17.pngLucienne d'Amaranthine

Human Graviturgy Wizard (4)

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

Before leaving Evermor’s presence at the Low Lantern, Daniella smirked at this dismissal but stopped in her departure to give a name, “Yes, because brooding in the corner at the Low Light is certainly doing wonders for your image.” She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, “I suppose knowing my full name would be useful, if it is not already notated. Lucienne d’Amaranthine of Chondath.” With that, ‘Luci’ left to find herself a place to stay for the evening.

Day 3 - 25 Kythorn, 1489 DR

On the third day of travel, Lucienne was finally overcoming her irate mood caused by the previous day’s weather. Her cantrips could only do so much to keep her dry, and neither studying nor cataloguing Evermor’s ‘library’ were an efficient task given the humidity. She did what she could of course, and Evermor had seemingly kept his items well protected from the elements in proper preparation for the long travel, and so she was successful in keeping that part of the job in control. It was the birds — those damnable pests — that caused her quite a bit of consternation. She had been well suited for caring for the creatures, having learned from her time around her mother’s pets, but she had never quite grown accustomed to the racket the squawking fiends could produce. How was she expected to get any work done in that noise?!

But thankfully, the new day has brought better weather. She had just decided to take a break from her duties (and walking) by sitting upon the cart to read over one of the textbooks in Evermor’s collection when the fight ahead broke out, causing the entire caravan to stop. Lucienne sighed loudly and looked up from her book to observe the happenings. She recognized the man, Darvish, from her time in Chondath. She had never directly met him, thankfully, but she knew plenty about his poor etiquette and, apparently, his poor riding skill. 

She considered for a slight moment getting involved in the whole ordeal, if only to bring him down a peg. Of course, doing such a thing would reveal her possible involvement with the noble class, and even if her new identity did in fact hail from Chondath, she had never made mention of possible noble blood, nor would someone of her identity’s status speak out against a noble for something as trivial as proper horse care. Alas, her allies, even in their new identities, did not stray away from immediately involving themselves in the affair, earning another eyeball from Lucienne. She glanced over towards Oyn and shook her head, speaking with a slight Chondothan accent that laced her words with an elegant flow, “One would think that being of his class that he would have the gold to earn proper equestrian skill, or at least his parents would. Of course, from my observations, men of his class often prefer to practice their riding on a different, less elegant steed.” She combined a scoff with a mischievous smirk and immediately looked back to her book, allowing the whole ordeal to play out as it would. It mattered to her little. However, she did keep a side eye locked squarely on the nearest wagon she knew to be agents of the Cult, watching what they might do during the great distraction. If they ended up being distracted themselves, she would hop down from her wagon, "Since we are stopped already, I shall be back." She gave a pointed look to Evermor, indicating she may need to relieve herself and he need not ask if he felt so inclined. She made sure to pass directly near the Cult's wagon and pretended to drop something beneath the cart. With a unladylike swear, she crouched down to retrieve it and, if no one was watching, rifled beneath whatever covering the wagon had to see what she might be able to grab.

Day 4 - 26 Kythorn, 1489 DR

The following day was similarly pleasant, as far as travel weather goes at least. Yet, as their cart rounded the buried traitor, Luci had been drawn from her duties by the commotion caused when the obstacle is announced. For the first time, Lucienne cast a curious glance towards Evermor’s lack of interest. “Ah, a fan of caravan justice, are you? Or perhaps you do not care in the least. You should know by now that I am ever the advocate for pragmatism, but it does not always mean being heartless. What do we know of this one’s crimes, hmm? Statistically speaking, whoever the caravan driver was that decided her fate was most likely a poorly educated person in regard to law and order. With a single inquiry and a fair bit of wisdom, you may have an extra guard, free of charge, who would be willing to give their life for you in exchange for saving it.” Luci scanned Evermor for a reaction, curious if her logic and reasoning had affected him in any way. She did not expect him to exactly turn the cart around and resort to saving the haggard soul, but if he could be convinced or swayed in any manner it might work to her benefit in the future. Besides, she was far more certain that her allies (bleeding hearts that they are) would most likely take some action in the scenario, inevitably drawing attention to them. No. Best that she keep her distance for now.

Day 5 - 27 Kythorn, 1489 DR

Lucienne had chosen to awaken early that day, hoping to get a head start on her expected duties so that she might spend most of the morning's travel focusing on her personal studies. When the hushed words traveling through the camping caravan about a Stag reached her ears, she looked up, catching a mere glimpse at its retreating form. Odd to see a cervine beast with such a golden pelt, but not completely unheard of. Perhaps it was the gods, distantly dawdling in affairs that they were too cowardly to take an active hand in. Although, it was very possible that it was a mere stroke of luck to see such a glorious beast. Luck was the domain of her preferred goddess, though Luci rarely actively engaged in worship, and it was enough to convince her that the gathering hunting party might be taking action on something that would effect them all. She exhaled a long sigh and walked with purpose towards the gathering group. "Come now, would you truly risk the outcome of our long travels by slaying a beast that may very well represent the luck of Tymora herself? For all you know such a beast is a sign that there are good tidings on the horizon; to slay it would ensure the exact opposite. Don't be foolish; you'll doom us all for a single night's meal that would not even feed the entire caravan. There is plenty more game to be had along the trail ahead."

Day 8 - 30 Kythorn, 1489 DR

Lucienne listened to Evermor's explanation without looking in his direction while casting a cleaning cantrip upon herself in an attempt to rid her existence of the stench that came with road travel and avian attendance. "It makes sense, I suppose, but does not make the slow advance any more bearable. Hopefully we shall be rid of this area soon before something ba-" As if she had summoned trouble by merely speaking of it, her words were cut off by the screams of warning. "Ettercaps! Really? Curious, though not a great surprise. It was bound to happen eventually." She gave a side-eyed look towards Evermor and followed it with another long sigh, something that had become a bit of a signature for dear Lucienne. She gathered her small bag and looped it over her shoulder and spoke without looking in Evermor's direction, "Do NOT rearrange your little collection while I'm away. I've enough trouble deciphering your untenable organizational methods without you mussing up what I've already accomplished and archived. I will assist in dealing with our arachnid trespassers and be back in mere moments. Oh, and do try and keep the birds alive. I need a job to do if I am to be paid after all." With that, the young lady descended the wagon with elegance and only began gaining a haste to her step when she had already closed half the distance towards the combat.

Actions

Day 3 - Daniella will obviously be attempting to get a feel for what might be in the nearest dragon cult wagon IF they are already distracted (hopefully.)

Day 4 - Daniella will attempt a persuasion check using intelligence (logic and reason) as her backing to get a feel for Evermor and convince him to like her, thus giving her a bit more freedom and trust when necessary. This is less to actually get him to turn around and save the 'traitor'.

Day 5 - Daniella will attempt a religion check to see if this might be a sign from Tymora, and then attempt to intimidate the hunting party to give up on their attempts to hunt the Stag, whether she truly believes it to be a sign from Tymora that they are backed by fortune or not.

Day 8 - Daniella is getting into that fight! Although I think you're implying that we aren't technically IN combat yet. If so, I can add in my attack later.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Initiative 1
1d20+2 8
Initiative 2
1d20+2 8
Initiative 3
1d20+2 5
Initiative 4
1d20+2 10
Initiative 5
1d20+2 17
Day 3 - Sleight of Hand
1d20+4 18
Day 4 - Persuasion (Intelligence)
1d20+6 20
Day 5 - Religion
1d20+4 6
Day 5 - Intimidation
1d20+3 8
Investigation
1d20+6 19

image.png.e71a7aa4717c5597a5d2af7105589c79.pngTaliesin Wanderer (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 20|  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ ○ (metamagic)

19th - 22nd Kythorn

Taliesin shared a look of concern with Theodoric, and the aasimar's glowing eyes did little to reassure him. "This is grave news indeed. I will start trying to rally support amongst the city's divine interests. Should we restrict ourselves to the good gods? Or perhaps bring the interest of the Bitch Queen and other evil gods? As you say, a touch of Tyr and Lathander might make a difference, and as outsiders we can potentially build bridges that you as a local might find difficult to traverse.

"And if the Dead Three truly are on the rise... Something must be done, and soon."  He clapped his hand to Theodoric's shoulder and nodded at the Mortarch. "Count on this, though. I pledge to do all in my power until I must leave the city to stop these atrocities. Until then, I am your man, Mortarch."

Over the next few days, as the body count mounted, Taliesin began to take less and less sleep. He tirelessly crossed the city, making friends among the lower ranks at each place of worship. He never approached temple leadership directly, preferring to build a network among the lower echelons and lean on Aralim's training from the City of Splendors. A social web of influence in the city began to take shape in the Lathanderite's mind, and he kept probing on where the best place to tug on a strand might be. Where he could place a social lever and push.

23rd-24th Kythorn: Venture Forth

lukenary_a_medieval_wagon_train_setting_off_at_dawn_f2908b1d-095e-4f2f-b682-5af38e047e7c.png?ex=66117c11&is=65ff0711&hm=54d6763114c10b0efc81a6ec5febb8686940af2d05ebb1a85d6347809b2390a8&The open road! Taliesin could feel the breeze clearing the cobwebs out of his mind, that had taken root as he got ensnared further and further into the web of blood and obligation in Baldur's Gate. He much preferred this: it was simpler, easier. Did one of those cobwebs berate him, saying he should have done more? Saved more lives? Cared more?  The Wanderer swept it out along with all the others.

And the caravan rolled at dawn. A more auspicious omen the Lathanderite couldn't imagine.

Taliesin ensured that Dardanelle's wagon ran among the best in the train. He worked so the goblin woman didn't have to worry about anything but navigating their precious cargo through the pitfalls ahead. He tightened harnesses, reshoed horses, oiled axles, replaced frayed ropes, and generally did whatever it took. He pursued this goal with the same single-minded determination he showed back in the city, but he did this task with a whistle on his lips and a glint in his eye. Even when the clouds rolled in and rain began to fall on the second day, Taliesin preferred the honest mud of the road than the ordure of the sewers of Baldur's Gate.

When he wasn't busy on the wagon, the Wanderer made friends among the old timers, agreeing with the wisdom of the road they brought. He made sure to cultivate relationships with the other laborers on the train, concentrating on the first two cultist wagons. Was Threadtwister at all like their old friend Chuck, and would the goliath appreciate some of the same bawdy humor? And the Selminstar family... were they siblings? Parents with children? A family on the open road... on the run? Taliesin wanted to dig deep, and see where the roots led.

25th Kythorn: Animal Abuse

Nobles. Gods-be-damned nobles. Taliesin spit. Such a shame to see a good horse treated so. He grimaced as he saw the whip come out yet again.

Taliesin backed up both Theodoric and Dardanelle as they confronted the man in black and his suffering beast. He swelled with pride as his goblin lady first found out the truth they all knew from the past few days. A truth as ugly as an unneeded whip, unnecessary scars, pain that came through incompetence rather than any lesson life had to teach. Perhaps that was the lesson: incompetence on the road isn't to be tolerated.  The Wanderer nodded to himself. That could be a lesson he'd follow indeed.

He resolved to be the voice of reason, and waved a placating hand toward Rheirum. Go softly. "Sir, please. The animal's in pain. We can help. Before the Lady Dardanelle decides to do anything rash, let's resolve all this peacefully. I'm sure it will go better for the entire company if we do."

In the evening, he spent some time with the Selminstars, if they'd have him. He broke bread with them, shared stories with them (especially repeating some of the best he'd heard at the dinner table back in the City of Splendors). He helped however he could, for they all would only go so fast as their slowest cart.

26th Kythorn: Payback

Ah, but here is where the Wanderer and 'road wisdom' seemed to part ways, perhaps for the first time. A look of disgust crossed his features as they came upon the unfortunate woman. He grabbed his medical kit from the wagon and followed Murdoch and Dardanelle, ready to add his own assistance. For the first time in a while, a sharp observer might note a small glow playing around Taliesin's wrists, but nothing too remarkable.

He helped dig the woman out, especially if Murdoch is so inclined. Intrigued, he waited with them, trying to give them space and deflect any opposition from the rest of the caravan.

In the evening, if he's welcome, he might have spent some time with "Silent" Piter and Bloody Barbarna, taking their measure and building a bridge.

27th Kythorn: The Golden Stag

Golden Stag – Richmond ParkThe golden stag. The golden stag.  At dawn no less. It could not be more clear; they have been blessed. And in Taliesin's estimation, they needed all the blessings they could get.

Of course, the cultist wagons are where the idea to hunt the stag comes from. To hunt the stag and kill it.  Gods-be-damned fools. Taliesin bodily blocked as many hunters as he could.

"All of you, stand down. This stag will clearly be watching over us, it's an omen for the rest of our journey. And you want to hunt it down? Rip out its heart? You may as well damn the entire journey while you're at it.

"A golden stag, at sunrise. It's here to lead the way, you fools. You don't kill your scout, your wayfinder, your seer. Do you? The caravan will prosper if we let this noble beast watch over us, and protect us. You want to get to our destination as safely and easily as possible, do you not? The wisdom of the road says you take all the gifts you can get, because you don't know what you'll encounter tomorrow. And you want to kill this gift, and eat it?  Make a burnt offering of the very animal the gods sent us as a portent?

"Would you spit on what the gods provide while you're at it? Stand down, all of you. And thank the gods in your prayers tonight for sending it."

Taliesin, for his part, stayed at his wagon for most of the day. He ate with Lucienne, if she'll have him. He wanted to discuss the stag with her and with Theodoric, if the paladin had no pressing dinner plans.

30th Kythorn: Spider Woods

On this day, Taliesin used his mace and shield more than his repair kit.

Mechanics

Action:

Bonus Action:

Move:

Other: If I need to roll Stealth or something else @Gregorotto do let me know.

Name
Initiative #1
1d20 1
Initiative #2
1d20 8
Initiative #3
1d20 4
Initiative #4
1d20 14
Initiative #5
1d20 14
Day 3 Persuasion