Chapter IV: On the Road

Gregorotto

Posted (edited)

The journey begins in earnest.

Edhelri listens to Rahnur in his guise, but does not look at him as she drives. "A mere century ago, many of our kind fought your kind without a second thought. Few half-drow existed, and while you are not fully elven, you still wear our blood proudly. No, I think the goddess of drow redemption, Eilistraee, has the right of it: hide if you must but nothing will you fear from myself or the Serelims." She ponders for a moment. "What about you, Werond? Will you give Rheirum trouble because he is half-drow?"

The teamster, apparently named Werond Torohar, looks up from going through boxes, then smiles, shaking her head. "Caught me listening in, eh? Yeah, no problem here. Ain't got to worry about a drow who carves as good as you. The drow who can do that fancy murder metal work? That's what I'd worry about." She winks at Rahnur. "Though, never much looked at a half-drow before. You dark elves always so handsome?"

Oh dear.

At the idea of a furry friend, Edhelri sighs. "None save these horses, which Werond carefully helps me with. The dog you saw me with that day in the Gate was merely a friend's mongrel I was watching while she was out of town for a day. When I'm in the Gate I help watch the dogs. It brings me peace. The cats, too. And the hares. And the weasels, oh I love them. But for the rain: we will put extra blankets on the horses and make sure their eyes are safe from the rain. Our pace will be slowed, but we must continue. When the rain ends, I'll check the shoes and give them a thorough cleaning."spacer.png

Elsewhere, Aralim begins to make his rounds about the old timers, who congregate at night when the work is done or at mealtime. They mostly tell stories of the trade ways, of routes as far east as Shou Lung and as far south as Halruaa, what it was like when it was just a SpellscarredThe Spellplague left an indeliable alteration upon the land, called Spellscars. Spread across Faerun, these were dangerous areas of wild magic and antimagic all at once, and often had enough mutagenic powers to alter a soul and leave them spellscarred.

Over the last century, much of Toril has healed, and these spots are exceptionally rare. None are currently known to exist between Halruaa and the Icewind Dale.
wasteland. Jokes are told, often with unkindness, at the youths' expense, but Taliesin Wanderer leaves an impression as an old soul, and thus gets along quite well with them.

That's according to plan, of course.

Evermor is a fond debater, except when Tyjit Skesh is near. That woman is every bit the cliche when it comes to dwarven malcontendedness and is extremely disagreeable. Radecere Perethun is soft-spoken and whimsically distant, though he finds every game of cards that pops up every night. Losvius Longnose is quite prone to joining in debates but loves to listen, clearly reading between the lines. Lucienne finds him not just agreeable but quick-witted, and by him, she means both Losvius "Longnose" (how prone he is to get into people's business) and Oyn Evermor.spacer.png

Edhelri Lewel loves talking about animals but would just as soon spend all her time with the horses. The Serelim brothers, Noorhar and Selvek, speak openly with Rheirum regarding his carvings, both critiquing and appreciating them: they can tell he's a true craftsman. Selvek is mute, and communicates through his brother via a sign language Rahnur has never seen. Werond and Edhelri seem to know it, though: and Werond commands their interest with ease: when she tells her tales of far off romance and adventure, she is perhaps the single greatest storyteller Rahnur has ever met. Much of what she tells is of romance and heartbreak amongst great and mighty circumstances, where it is slave girls of Zakhara, the tiefling Havilar and her lover the prince of Cormyr, or the tragic romance of Elminster and the Simbul. His heart aches for Loren.

Even in the rain, there is plenty of things to keep them all warm.

By the fifth and sixth day things have settled down and Dardanelle begins trying to sell her services to people. She finds little success on the first day, given her behavior on the days prior (right as many agree they were), but come the sixth day, she has two takers: Sulesdeg, called the Pole, and a curious, vain, and successful driver and caravan leader, Achreny Ulyeltin. Sulesdeg is massive, the tallest human Wendy has ever seen, and his face is likewise long and grim, but he tells jokes at his own speed. Achreny, meanwhile, is jovial... but smells awful, worse than his animals. Picking his ears and nose, belching, he is uncouth and uncivilized, yet his joviality almost makes up for it.

Almost.

Both pay well and say they will spread word.

Day 3: Animal Abuse

The standoff immediately draws attention, as Edhelri and Werond stand against Dravish and his two henchmen. Every cart seems to have someone come to the inner circle, and in the case of Dardanelle's cart, most of them. Lucienne says she needs to take this opportunity to take care of business, so to speak, and heads onward, taking advantage of the distraction to investigate the lead cards more: how good was Selebon's intel regarding the Cult?spacer.png

Dravish is unimpressed at first when Dardanelle steps up, but her words begin to have an effect on him, particularly when Theodoric speaks up beside her. Though he is not part of their original group, he acts as if he always was, stepping up and flourishing as he instills fear in Dravish's minions enough that they back up. Dravish is not quite ready, though he draws no weapon and his lip quivers, it is not until Wendibear appears that he not just shows fear but falls flat from his horse, staring at the bear and the strange gleam in the holy man's eyes. Immediately Rheirum steps in, offering to try and negotiate a middle path. While Taliesin tries to do the same, Rheirum steps up and somehow his words manage to cut through. The knight and mage step up and draw weapons to defend their patron, Dravish adjusting his clothes and cleaning himself off. "T-take the damn thing. I care not: I have two more. You can shove it up Mother Earth's crevice for all I care: or perhaps this elf needs this horse because she's bored of getting off with her other two, the way she handles the damned things. Ninnywithers: your horse is mine, you'll be on the caravan proper from here on out."

The knight does not flinch at the discourtesy.

As the knight begins to mount the horse, he looks at Edhelri, then at Dardenlle, and points. "Mark my words, you vile green scum: you will live to regret this."

Elsewhere, the lead wagons are as distracted as the rest, and Lucienne finds herself in stealthy company as she heads to the nearest of the first five carts, investigating it. She comes close enough to see what the manifest says: the cart is covered in lumber, unworked and worked alike, even some minor carvings of decent quality. Buried under these, however, Daniella sees something of note: lockboxes, chained and with fine golden lock pads. There are eight in total, and even trying to move them, as she is close enough, she cannot do that: they are packed full of goods. Not testing her luck, Dani becomes Lucienne again and heads back

As she does so, and Wendy, Theodoric, Aralim, and Rahnur all hear this too, and Belmund too among the crowd: most people are completely impressed with Dardanelle, Theodoric, Taliesin, and Rheirum, particularly the paladin and the archer. The bravery and heroism therein was impressive to the core. Evermor's challenge to Lucienne that night is whether heroism is common or noble in and of itself, and what makes a noble fit for rule.

Day 4: Payback

Oyn Evermor considers Lucienne's words, smiling through most of them save for the last. "You make a convincing point. On the one hand, there's the solidarity of the code of the road: a soul like this is lost because she sold her soul to bandits. But that could be a cover to hide the truth: trusting that no one would pick up such a soul, her attackers could have left the note to deter people from helping save her. That's more thought than I would have wanted to put into it on my own. Confound you, woman."spacer.png

The last cart begins to help her out before a debate breaks out. While Belmund cannot recall exactly where he's seen that face, he's almost certain he has before. Wendy begins to dig and Aralim too, while Theodoric begins to test her as Wendy's berries perk her up. "Please... water. Water." When given, she sighs, seeming more awake. The earth that holds her smells terrible and soon so too does she, the woman freed and it is then that Wendy notices it: the tattoo on her arm. Harpers wear their emblem in all kinds of ways, and this is no exception, being a tattoo. Asked what happened, she answers their questions with grace and a hoarse mouth. "Sniffing around a wagon I should've have for too long. Paid for it. These berries are good; are you a mage, miss?"spacer.png

Once freed, she is too weak to stand on her own, though the berries are giving her vitality a raise. She explains her tale: she ran afoul of her fellow travelers when she discovered something about them in a caravan five days' ride ahead of them. She does not say what, but claims that she was beaten and a story concocted about her consulting with bandits. Thus, the sign beside her, which, once vitality returns to her, she breaks. "By rights I shouldn't be alive, but I have you lot to thank. I have a meeting I'm late for in Waterdeep, is there any way I can bother you lot for a ride? I'll pull my own weight, and I'm handy with a blade if you've got one for me."

That night, she is well enough to bathe, to help cook, and she comes out the cleaner for it. Imsa whistles at her return from a nearby creek. "Cleans up real well, huh? I wouldn't have saved her, but you lot did good. Says a lot about you." She says this looking primarily at Dardanelle. The woman, whose name is Carlona Amoffel, wears a shirt she borrowed from Werond which covers her tattoo, which at no point does she downplay or even address unless asked, then she plays it off as a "family mark" for her clan out of Silverymoon. Unlikely.spacer.png

Three souls are acutely aware of the shift in the caravan's mood that evenfeast: Rahnur, Dani, and Aralim. Dani has set a fire in Evermor's mind, who keeps the debate ongoing throughout the day and into the night. Indeed, Rahnur hears much the same from other carts (though not his own): that the woman Carlona is a liability to the caravan, that the last wagon is now holding a dangerous criminal that will bring retribution down on them all. Yet, after yesterday's show of moral righteousness against Dravish, it's hard to not see them in a positive light ("bleeding heart" is the word used by Achreny Ulyeltin, Aralim hears as he travels to the old timers). Time will tell, but whose lives will it cost?

When Taliesin begins carousing amongst the older folk, he hones in on two from the same wagon Dani spied on the day before, with Silent Piter and "Bloody" Barbarna. While the latter is not particularly elderly, like Aralim she moves among them listening, laughing, and interjecting as she can. Tonight, she interjects, with Piter nodding along. "Can't afford kindness on a trip like this. We oughta march back there and put her down ourselves." Taliesin, not yet seen or heard, interjects and whatever his words, he stops the lynch mob where it stands and many of the old timers agree. Piter does not reply, living up to his name still, while Barbarna shakes her head. "Who knows, when bad things happen, maybe we'll know who did it faster than we might otherwise ought to of. That's all I'm sayin'."

Day 5: The Golden Stag

spacer.pngWhile Theodoric and Aralim know it is a bad omen to kill a stag such as this, Rahnur knows much more.

Rahnur requires no moment to remember where they are and what this is. He's heard stories of the Golden Stag of Bendrylsted since he was a boy, told to him by his father, by his father's friends. The stag is believed by the farmers and artisans of the stretch of land where they are, called Bendrylsted, to bring fertility to the land and good luck to all traders and creators of goods. Hunting it would doom them all. This story he tells to Edhelri, to Werond and the elven twins, and the story begins to spread. When Dani and Aralim hear it, Lucienne and Taliesin lean into it to convince the caravan members to continue onward and not hunt the thing. The hunt, organized by Dravish, by Achreny Ulyeltin, and by the Tusk brothers from the third wagon, comes to a screeching halt with Taliesin's warning that the caravan will be doomed. Bloody Barbarna huffs as she begins to walk away. "What, like saving that caravan traitor?" Her argument does not get very far.

By the time Taliesin and Lucienne are done, only Dravish, his minions, and the Tusks remain on the hunt. Achreny approaches the duo with a sigh, smelling of horse piss and strong cheese. "Right bastards for stopping us, but right for doin' so."

When hunters return to the caravan, which moved on far beyond Bendrylsted by night, they do so empty handed.

That night, Rahnur dreams of the Golden Stag of Bendrylsted: he steps onto the cobbles beneath an ancient tree, and in his place appears a copper-skinned elf who speaks a tongue he cannot understand. Above the moon and sun do a dance across the horizon in rapid succession, as if the massive passing of days and nights across millennia. There is comprehension despite the lack of understanding: the longing for a kingdom long lost, the way to end pain by reuniting with something.

Day 8: Spider Woods

⚔ Round I ⚔

An arrow alone breaks; bundled with others, it is unbreakable.

spacer.pngWhile many carts prepare to defend themselves, the Heroes of Greenest let their true flags fly as they charge into battle, joined by Carlona and by Sulesdeg the Pole, the Shaaran warrior who leads the guards of Achreny Ulyetin's two wagons in the middle. Rahnur and Dani hear him roar as he draws his sword at least as long as Aralim. "Protect the second wagon, get Ulyetin to safety! They are after the horses!" The two other guards obey with Achreny screaming that it is of the utmost importance to protect his goods. The half-drow and human noble soon join him while behind them charges Wendibear, Belmund, Theodoric, Carlona, and Aralim, putting down the ploughshare for the sword.

Ettercaps: a more disgusting arachnid abomination does not exist this side of the Demonweb Pits. Two go for the horses while the third and the two massive spiders hold off Sulesdeg and offer resistance to the incognito Heroes of Greenest. As Wendibear prepares to attack and the armor of Agathys comes to Theodoric's aide, the Pole is overtaken by the lead ettercap and one of the giant spiders, the other hissing at the oncoming bear. Though the spider attempts to poison him, the Pole pulls away from the wound; poison splatters on his Shaaran armor as blood mars his form now.

Then comes the crash. Wendibear's maw fails to find the ettercap, but her claws certainly do, sending chunks of discolored flesh flying but not killing the thing: not at all. Rahnur fires off a shot that catches the spider that missed Sulesdeg in the thorax, almost severing a leg. Dani, Belmund, and Aralim prepare to join the fray with Carlona, now outfitted in a leather jerkin and wielding two blades, prepares to as well.

Just then, the bridle and yoke holding the two horses breaks: the two ettercaps prepare to flee into the woods with the horses!

Out of Character

No map, pure TotM
Initiative
Spiders9
Party8.5

Allies
Sulesdeg-AC 16, 53/65 HP
Carlona-AC 16, 51/51 HP

Enemies
Ettercap 1-AC 13, 36/44 HP
Ettercap 2-AC 13, 44/44 HP
Ettercap 3-AC 13, 44/44 HP
Giant Spider 1-AC 14, 19/26 HP
Giant Spider 2-AC 14, 26/26 HP

Out of Character

spacer.png
Caravan Stats
85/84 Travelers
12/12 Wagons
8/60 days passed
Caravan Members

Woo!

General rules:

• Influencing the Caravan is an optional rule you can use, as conflict may potentially come up and other caravaneers may help you out if you're friendly with them. Persuasion, Deception, etc. come to mind. If a wagon or individual members of a wagon are friendly towards you, you may get support. The Dc will depend on who you're trying to influence and how. If you want to learn about a NPC or wagon beforehand, you have the manifest and thus list of names and goods, but influencing people is a different matter. Green Imsa is friendly to everyone, but Evermor is only friendly to Dani, for example. Imsa is one person, but Evermor has a whole wagon. Some cart drivers will be downright hostile, thus influencing individual people makes more sense.
  • I'm giving everyone Inspiration based on their wonderful roleplaying and putting up with this silly format. If you already have Inspiration, too bad, you get it again but it just deletes the old one; spend that shit. If you want specifics:
    • Wendy, for being a fierce mama bear against Dravish
    • Theodoric for the same, complete with spooky glows
    • Dani for her wonderful argument with Evermor regarding pragmatism and kindness
    • Belmund for his approach to Carlona despite his rolls
    • Aralim for his investigation skills and getting in good with the elders/CotD folk
    • Rahnur for trying to make peace in heated moments

Day 4:

• I can provide guidance on revealing to Carlona most of you are Harpers and what you're doing. If you plan on doing so, I can reveal further information as you like; if you rolled Insight already, I'll provide answers accordingly to confirm or deny trust.

Day 5:

• Rahnur, Dani, and Aralim has bless on them for 5 days. Use it wisely.

Day 8:

• Is this the first combat of Chapter 4? Good Lord.
  • Dani gets an extra action for her Round 1, on account of her cart being closer.
  • We won't be using a map here, so create your own image. The two ettercaps stealing the horses are about 15 feet from the ettercap and two spiders holding off Wendibear and the party. Going around them normally will provoke an Opportunity Attack but taking the long route (25 feet) will not.
  • If anyone is interested in controlling Sulesdeg or Carlona, feel free to roll without modifiers and I'll manage the damage and modifiers. Not revealing their stat blocks since I'm frankensteining Sulesdeg and dropping the HP of Carlona. At some point we need to discuss Party NPCs and Sidekick rules, I think.
Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy
Level 4 Goblin Urchin Druid (Circle of the Moon)

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

STR: 10 (+0) | DEX: 15 (+2) | CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1) | WIS: 18 (+4) | CHA: 8 (–1)

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16, passive Investigation 11
Wild Shapes: 2/2 per short rest

More Traits, Features, and Abilities

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Tools. disguise kit, herbalism kit, painter’s supplies

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 8 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal savagery, shape water, shillelagh
1st level (1/4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, good berry, healing word, speak with animals
2nd level (3/3 slots): enlarge/reduce, moonbeam, pass without trace

Cantrips

control flames, shape water, shillelagh

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

List of Beasts Wendy Can Turn into

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

pp: 0 | gp: 38 | ep: 16 | sp: 40 | cp: 208 | 100 gp gemstone: 1

Inventory

Worn or At-Hand (an interact with object to retrieve)

1 set of Frulam Mondath’s purple robes (won from killing Frulam Mondath, 3 lb.)
1 set of leather armor (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 wooden shield (starting equipment, 6 lb.)
1 Black Dragon Helm (wooden shield) (looted off Tiamat Statue, 6 lb.)
1 hat of disguise (Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement) While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.) (won in Elturel fair)
1 druidic focus (wooden staff—starting equipment, 4 lb.)
7/7 daggers (small knife—starting equipment & confiscated from kobolds, 1 lb.)
1 handaxe (starting equipment, 2 lb.)
1 shortsword (—)
1 sling (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, —)
30/30 sling bullets (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, 33.6 oz. (1.2 oz, each)
1 backpack (starting equipment, 5 lb.)
1 belt pouch (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 fifty-foot, hempen rope (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 waterskin (starting equipment, 5 lb. (full))
1 hooded lantern (bought in Greenest, 2 lb.)
5/5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

Stowed away in, or Strapped to Her Backpack (an action to retrieve)

15/15 days’ worth of rations (starting equipment, 20 lb.)
1 map of the city you grew up in (Waterdeep—from urchin background)
1 mess kit (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 tinderbox (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)
10/10 torches (starting equipment, 9 lb.)
1 painter’s supplies (from starting 500 gp item, 5 lb.—topped off in Elturel)
1 disguise kit (from starting 500 gp item , 3 lb.)
1 herbalism kit (purchased with 5 of the 10 starting gold, 3 lb.)
1 set of common clothes (starting equipment, 3 lb.)
1 painting by an artist long forgotten by everyone except a dragon
1 potion of ??? (won in Elturel fair)

Party Wagon (pulled by Ruby)

Wendy and her friends!

75/75 days’ worth of feed (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 pack saddle (bought in Greenest, 15 lb.)
1 bit and bridle (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 saddlebags (bought in Greenest, 8 lb.)
1 two-person tent (bought in Greenest, 20 lb.)
1 bedroll (starting equipment, 7 lb.)
1 chest (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 cases for maps and scrolls (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 set of fine clothes (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 lamp (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 bottle of ink (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 ink pen (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 flasks of oil (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
5/5 sheets of paper (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 vial of perfume (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 sealing wax (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 soap (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)

Sanders (Wendy’s Pet Mouse from Her Urchin Background)

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Str 2 (–4) Dex 11 (+0) Con 9 (–1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 4 (–3)

Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

Ruby (Wendy’s Draft Horse—Purchased in Greenest)

D5qG4Ge.png

Ruby (pulling the Party Wagon)

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Str 18 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Con 12 (+1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 7 (–2)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

IC
Day 3: Animal Abuse (25 Kythorn)

Wendibear looks almost disappointed when she doesn’t get to eat the noble and his little knight thugs—especially after what he implies Edhelri is going to do with the horse.

However, her friends managed to calm the situation. And so, Wendibear lowers down off her haunches and slowly lopes away. She stops when the noble threatens her. She turns around and growls, letting him and his thugs piss themselves a little more before returning to her own wagon, morphing back into ‘Dardanelle’ as she does so.

Day 4: Payback (26 Kythorn)

“Sniffing around a wagon I should’ve have for too long. Paid for it. These berries are good; are you a mage, miss?”

“Nah,” she says, her eyes barely lingering on the Harpers’ tattoo, “Just a Druid of the Ardeep Forest. You can call me Dardanelle, Dardanelle Lazuli. What’s yer name, Ms.? An’ what were you doin’, sniffin’ ’round someone’s wagon, fer? I can’t imagine they were carryin’ anything legit iffn they buried ya like this and tried to make it look like ya deserved it.”

“By rights I shouldn’t be alive, but I have you lot to thank. I have a meeting I’m late for in Waterdeep, is there any way I can bother you lot for a ride? I’ll pull my own weight, and I’m handy with a blade if you’ve got one for me.”

“I’ve got room in the wagon,” Dardanelle says, “But I’ll leave it up to you. I have the men—Murdoc, here, and that’s Theo, there—sleep in the tent outside, but I sleep with Imsa, over there” Dardanelle points to the green elf not too far away, “in the wagon. I’m sure we can lay down some hay and some bedding atop it on the floor between our supply crates.”

“Besides,” Dardanelle says, casually, “If you’re worried about some idiot from the rest of the caravan trying to slit your throat, everyone in this entire wagon train knows that I’ve got a 14-foot tall brown bear in my pocket. I’m a friendly gal. The bear? Not so much.”

After Carlona cleans up and joins them for dinner, even helping to cook, Dardanelle will make it a point to sit next to her. She lays her staff across her own lap—“I always keep it with me! It’s an inn-deep-Spencer-ble part of me and my job”—with the head of the staff landing with its green, malachite, Harper’s symbol inlaid into the finely and intricately carved wood into Carlona’s lap. Carlona’d have to be blind AND intentionally looking the other way not to see it.

“Cleans up real well, huh? I wouldn’t have saved her, but you lot did good. Says a lot about you.”

“You can’t be a li’l gobbo like me an’ go makin’ up-some-shins ’bout people without hearin’ what they’ve gots to say,” Wendy said. “Way I figure it, whosever she was snoopin’ on was carryin’ somethin’ so bad that ’twasn’t good ’nuff to just kill her, but make it slow an’ painful an’ terrible an’ duh-grade-ding.”

It’s only then that she ‘notices’ that she’d dropped her staff in Carlona’s lap.

“Oh, sorry!” Dardanelle says, propping the staff back up vertically next to her, in the crook of her shoulder on the other side—only after giving Carlona a good gander at it—and proceeding to eat. “I didn’t mean to drop that right in your lap! Oops! So, Carlona, you mentioned that you had a meeting in Waterdeep? You from there? Or need a guide? I’m born and raised there, so if you need any help navigating the madhouse, I’m yer gal!”

Day 8: Spider Woods (30 Kythorn)

Round 2

Wendibear sinks her huge bear teeth into Ettercap 1, dealing 11 piercing damage. She follows it up with a vicious slash across its thorax dealing another 11 slashing damage!

She then disengages from the ettercap and moves 35 feet back from it.

OOC

Rolls can be found HERE.

OOC

Movement: 35 feet back from the ettercap

Action(s): Multiattack the nearest Ettercap: Bite & Claw Attacks, both at +6 to hit. Bite Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4 piercing; Claw Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing

Bonus Action: Disengage action

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Concentration:

Wendibear
KaM27np.png

Large Beast, Unaligned
Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d10 + 12)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
19 (+4) 10 (+0) 16 (+3) 12 (+1) 16 (+3) 8 (–1)

Proficiency Bonus +2
Saving Throws Int +3, Wis +5
Skills Acrobatics +4, Perception +5, Stealth +4, Survival +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages understands Common, Goblin, and Druidic but can’t speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Actions

Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Environment: Arctic, Forest, Hill

Source: MM, page 319. Also found in PotA; SKT; TftYP; GoS; IMR; MOT; IDRotF; WBtW. Available in the SRD.

To Whom It May Concern . . .

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

Theodoric UnmaskedTheodoric | Aasimar Paladin 4

AC: 20 (Plate & Shield) | HP: 36/36 | DR: 3 (Nonmagical B/P/S) | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Class / Race Features | Prepared Spells

Healing Hands (2d4): 1/1 | Celestial Revelation: 1/1 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Harness Divine Power: 1/1 | 1st Lvl Slots: 1/3

The barest of grins shows on Theodoric's burnt features as Lord Dravish falls off his horse and flat on his back at Wendibear's arrival. He was growing to like his "employer" more and more by the day - the intimidation factor of a goblin turning into a massive bear was easy for him to appreciate and respect. The grin turns to a scowl at the implications Dravish throws towards Edhelri, and his radiant eyes narrow to pinpricks behind the thin cloth covering his eyes as the pompous noble's knight threatens Wendy. A dark chuckle escapes his lips, and with a sadistic smile he answers Ninnywithers with, "Try anything, and it will be your final mistake." After a long, tense moment, he gives a nod to Edhelri before turning and following behind Wendy. While the praise from the other caravan riders is appreciated, he does not gloat in it - a simple nod and word of thanks are his usual answer.

Though still wary of the woman, Theodoric is relieved to see that her loyalties seemingly lie with the Harpers, and that she was heading towards Waterdeep herself. Perhaps an advance scout infiltrating a Cult wagon, then.  The offer to help in a fight doesn't hurt, either. He allows the others with deeper Harper ties to reveal their allegiances in their own way, and remains the watchful eye for now.

Clad in prismatic ice, Theodoric practically barrels through the ettercap and two spiders blocking the way, almost daring them to strike him, and closes into melee with one of the ettercaps stealing Achreny's horses. A raised hammer and challenge in Celestial of, "Adoian ol!" forms a radiant chain between himself and the ettercap that fades over a moment, and he swings his warhammer at the disgusting arachnoid creature!

OOC

Day 8 Combat!

Movement: 15' through the enemy front-line to one of the horse-stealing ettercaps, provoking Opportunity Attacks and potentially triggering Armor of Agathys!

Bonus Action: Cast Compelled Duel on the ettercap he's in melee with! It will need to make a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be affected.

Action: Attack the ettercap with my warhammer!

Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Warhammer Swing!
9; 6
1d20+5; 1d8+5 [4]; [4,1]

IC

spacer.pngRahnur Rhahlem

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2594301

NG Half-Drow Fighter (Champion) Lvl 4  AC 15 HP 34/34 Speed 30 ft. PP 14

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 8 (-1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Strength Save: +1
Dexterity Save: +4; Acrobatics +6
Constitution Save: +3
Intelligence Save: +1
Wisdom Save: +2; Insight +4, Perception +4
Charisma Save: +2; Persuasion +4

Attack and Scores

2 Shortswords +6, 1d6+4; Longbow +8, 1d8+4, 150/300; Dagger +6, 1d4+4, 20/60

Class and Race Abilities

Darkvision: 60 ft.
Drow Magic (DC 12):
At will - Dancing LightsYou create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

1/day - Faerie FireEach object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

Fey AncestryYou have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Fighting Style: Archery

Second Wind (Recharges After a Short or Long Rest)You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
: 1d10+3

Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Day One

Rahnur couldn't help the blush that came to his cheeks before he cleared his throat and made a motion that would show his wedding ring until he recalled he wore it around his neck instead. Instead, he opted for a smile that was still polite, "Well, I can't say for anyone else. I like to think I'm uniquely handsome." he said although his stomach was churning at the words. He knew it was going to be harder to be undercover because of what he was. Unfortunately, he knew he had to pretend to be single for the time being as to not tip off any unwanted eyes or ears.

Rahnur would listen to Edhelri's love of animals and almost had to laugh, "We all have our passions, and I'm sure the animals within the gate appreciate yours for them as well as these horses."

Whenever Rhanur spoke with the brothers, he would carefully watch how the sign languages went and even asked politely if he could learn a few easy ones, "Or at least enough for us to communicate in case you're unavailable," he would say to Selvek and then Noorhar.

Day Three: Animal Abuse

Rahnur already regretted saving the idiot's life as he laid out his implications and his threats before he pointed to his bow, "If you chose to escalte this afterwards, I won't hesitate to protect my employer and her wagon. Trust me, you don't want to be on the pointed end of my shot," he warned before he lead Edhelri back to their wagon. He would try to stay up as long as he thought Ninnywithers would to ensure he wouldn't try anything.

Day Five: Golden Stag

Rahnur does not speak about his dream when he awakes from it although he is quick to have one of his works being one of the stag as if he was in a daze.

Day Eight: Spider Wood

"Damnit," Rahnur muttered to himself as he took another arrow and aimed for the ettercap that Theodric has not engaged.

OOC

Attack Action: Attacking horse stealing ettercap that Theo isn't attacking

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Name
Attack
1d20+8 9
Damage
1d8+4 2
Possible Critical
1d8 4

Dani_3-removebg-preview.png.3e744157c29de84676034f12b5219f17.pngLucienne d'Amaranthine

Human Graviturgy Wizard (4)

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

Day 3 - 25 Kythorn, 1489 DR

Making her way back to the cart, Lucienne climbed aboard and seated  herself next to Evermoor in a straight posture. “I see we have a few noble heroes who have risen to the occasion. Obviously they have plenty to compensate for.” She says the term ‘noble heroes’ with unveiled derision and does not look towards Evermoor to see his reaction.

As the matter is resolved and the caravan begins to move again, Lucienne extends her break to discuss heroism and its place in society. “You are no fool, Oyn. You know Heroism is not defined by societal structures like class. Nor is it a pre-defined, genetic trait. More often than not, It is merely a mixture of three things.” She raises three gloved fingers as she counts them off, “A dull mind - incapable of conjuring a better plan, a stubborn heart - incapable of adapting to change…and an ocean of cowards behind them, egging them on to do what they are too afraid to do themselves.” She dropped her hand to her purse and pulled her journal from the extra dimensional space along with its adjoining mechanical quill. She began to scribble something on a page that was already filled with notes, illegible to anyone but herself. “Hold. I need to write that down — Gods, I can be brilliant sometimes.” She gave a side-eyed look to Evermoor and grinned. 

After a moment, she finished and tucked the journal back into her purse. “Anyway, as for what makes a noble fit for rule I’d have to answer with…” A wry grin greets her lips once more as she relishes the chance to speak ill of other nobles and their rule. “…a complete unwillingness to lead. Anyone who wants to lead does not deserve it. It only means they crave power, and anyone who craves power should not have i-“ She stopped herself at that, perhaps coming to a self-realization about her own goals. Her face fell and her eyes went distant. She did not talk for a long moment, and when she finally did it was to excuse herself. “I have work to do.” With that, the conversation was over.

Day 4 - 26 Kythorn, 1489 DR

Sitting next to Evermoor, Lucienne shakes her head as she watches her undercover allies carouse with their adopted guard. “Imagine my surprise to find that we do, in fact, have individuals in our caravan that possess all three qualities of Heroism.” The words sound complimentary but the tone suggests it is not. “You’ll have to forgive me, Evermoor, if urging you to use that brain of yours is bothersome to you.” She gives him a smirk, indicating her intent was playful. She had actually come to enjoy spending her days around Oyn more and more. Dani did not have many inquisitive minds willing to debate ethics and politics within her little group of ‘heroes’, and so Luci would learn to relish the time spent with someone who was willing. Although, perhaps it had more to do with the fact that Evermoor, being the quiet and contemplative sort, allowed her to spout her opinions freely without deriding her for being ‘arrogant’. 

Later in the evening, Luci nonchalantly made her way towards the Dardendelle camp. She did not make a direct approach, appearing to be casually stretching her legs while loosing her platinum locks from their bindings. She did speak, but only approached Theodoric to do so, and attempted to make her conversation appear to be boring to her. Or perhaps it actually was. “Ah, just the man in a mask I was looking for." She proceeded to explain what she had found in one of the Cult wagons, confirming their suspicions. She then followed up her intel with a word of advice, "Tell your caravan partners to seek a medic to plug their damnable bleeding hearts.” Her voice grew more sharp as the sentence continued, but remained quiet. “If they do not stop they will draw the eyes of certain individuals and earn themselves a sharp edge in their gut while they sleep. We are here do a job, not pick up every lost mutt we stumble across.” With a huff Lucienne turned on a heel and started back towards her tent.

Day 8 - 30 Kythorn, 1489 DR

Arriving later than most others, Lucienne scowled at the sight of the abominations, focusing her attention specifically on the Etterkins attempting to steal away the horses. “Oh no you do not.” She announced in her Chondothan accent, sounding not unlike a lecturing mother. She thrust a hand forward while performing a series of intricate gestures with her fingers. Then, as if pulling a series of threads from the space in front of her, she yanked downwards. The spell fell upon the two Etterkins — and, regrettably, the horses as well — like a ton of bricks, hopefully weighing them down further to impede their escape.

Actions

Day 8 Actions:

Action - Cast Magnify Gravity (DC 14 CON or 2d8 force damage and reduce speed by 10 feet. Save takes half damage and doesn’t reduce speed.) She will center it in a way (hopefully) to only hit the ettercaps (and probably the horses, but I don’t THINK it will kill them…)

Movement - Stay within 30 feet of the stealing Ettercaps while keeping a fair distance from any other enemies if possible.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Force Damage
2d8 1,5

0p2nINr.jpg

Name: Belmund Brokenstone | Race/Class: Dwarf Ranger | HP: 40/40 AC: 13 PP: 15

Carlona Conundrum!

Belmund did not know the woman by name or reputation, but he knew a Harper's mark when he saw one. A thought burned through his mind, one where he was found out. Most of the caravaneers would not bat an eye at Harpers being among them. In fact, some might expect it. But it was getting more difficult to tell, almost by the hour, who whispered to the Cult and who kept their own secrets.

Carlona's tattoo was another matter. Anyone could get a tattoo. It was harder to come by a Harper brooch without earning it, though that could be done with a little effort. Her ink did not prove her character by any stretch of the imagination, but she had what appeared to be genuine gratitude for her rescue. That was a start and would have to be good enough for Belmund.

"Ay--ahh, sniffing will often turn up trouble," he said, struggling with his accent a bit as held back his questions, "old friend used to say 'ye be sniffing arse, be ready fer the wind!'" Belmund laughed, more to releive his own tension more than anything. He was a dwarf of principles, but he was worried that sticking by his principle of helping people was going to give him a heart attack. Or worse, make him a grumpy old sod.

Wendy joined in, her Dardanelle persona chipper and welcoming as ever. She was quite observant, so there was no way she missed the Harper mark. He nodded to her, knowing that she'd cozy right up to the woman and get the information they needed far better than he ever could. He'd hold his questions, for now. There would certainly be time enough on this journey.

Eyes were on them now, largely because he had never quite learned to temper his desire to help people break free, be it from the brainwashing of a Cult or the tyranny of life itself. Belmund believed everyone deserved a second chance, which often left him more vulnerable to exploitation than he cared to admit, but really, where would the world be without second chances? Belmund did not want to find out.

Approaching Carlona privately before everyone settled for the night, he spoke with her. "I tend to make a few new friends each time I travel, but this time is something special. Thing is, this lot'll have yer back if you have theirs, no truer words will ya hear this side of the Sword Coast. Now, I don't mean any presumption, but it seems to me that your last group didn't quite have the same bond. Past is past, so long as we use what we learned to forge a better future, if I don't mind sayin'. Know that the choice is yours, Carlona. They'll welcome ya if you let 'em."

Combat Cacophony!

Belmund's task of checking the wagon axle for stress cracks was more for show, than anything, but it was still rudely interrupted by shouts and neighs. The now-familiar huff of Wendibear charging into the fray told him they were definitely being attacked this time and it was not just another social scuffle. Theo was off like a shot, and the twang of Rahnur's bow told him to snag his own from its hiding place on the side of the card. in a flash, he had an arrow knocked and released following Rahnur's.

OOC

Carlona: Belmund invites her to be part of the group in hopes that quells any shady stuff she wants to do.

Combat: Longbow shot to Ettercap Rahnur is shooting at.

Action: Longbow to Ettercap (same target as Rahnur)

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Persuasion
1d20-1 9
Longbow_ATK
1d20+4 13
Longbow_DMG
1d8+2 8

image.png.e71a7aa4717c5597a5d2af7105589c79.pngTaliesin Wanderer (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 20|  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ ○ (metamagic)

26th Kythorn: Payback

Taliesin's eyes widened as he caught a glance of the Harper tattoo. It seemed they'd done right in freeing the woman, even if it meant sticking their heads above the parapets. Tongues would wag, and he'd have to do what he can to make sure they stayed undercover.

Though in speaking to the woman later that evening, he was sure they'd done well. "Waterdeep, eh? I know my way around the city, here and there. Taliesin Wanderer, at your service. Whereabouts in the city? Mayhap I can help out."

Later, around the campfires, he found that "Silent" Piter lived up to his name. Not much luck with him, unfortunately. "Bloody" Barbarna, by the same token, seemed the same. "March back there and put her down? This isn't a dog, or a pack animal. Of course we need to be careful, and she'll need some watching. But she may yet prove an asset to us.

"And cold-blooded execution can bring bad luck out here on the road. Attracts the wrong kind of spiritual attention; it can bring the local undead running. That's why the method is used in the first place. By the time the accused is dead, the caravan is long gone. And who's to say we're not being used by Tymora or Beshaba? They're the true executioners, or deliverers of mercy."

Pshh. He'd done it again, let his mouth run off when he oughtn't to. Need to let the woman save some face. "Come on Barbarna. I'll share some ale with you, and I wager it will be more fun to put that down than anything at the back of the caravan. I have some dice around here as well, if you're amenable."

27th/28th Kythorn: The Golden Stag

Taliesin knew Rahnur was affected more than anyone else in their little group. He made it a point to check in with his friend during the day. "I take it we both are glad the hunt wasn't successful, but you look like the omen means more to you than anyone else. Care to talk about it?"

30th Kythorn: Spider Woods

He ran to close ground with the spiders, but used his light crossbow in the meantime. One shot, then he'd ready his mace and shield for the next opportunity. There were other, more flashy things he could do; spiritual hammer came to mind, or even heals. But he thought that would only bring more attention their way. Why would a priest be traveling as a laborer? Uncomfortable questions, to be sure.

So: mundane weapons until absolutely necessary.

Mechanics

Action: Attack with light crossbow, then ready mace and shield.

Bonus Action:

Move: Straight toward the nearest ettercap.

Other:

Name
To hit
1d20+2 19
Damage, piercing
1d8 4

Posted (edited)

Werond grins at Rahnur's wry deception, not detecting a hint of it. "Unique is a funny way of putting it, but you're not wrong." While Edhelri smiles at the compliment, she says little more to Rahnur. The twins, however, are extremely pleased that Rahnur is showing interest in learning their sign language. "Of course we'll teach you; Selvek is an able teacher and I know he'll appreciate someone else he can speak with." The lessons begin with simple things, like parts of the cart and instruments Rahnur might use to carve with, then food and times of day.

What Rahnur retains is entirely up to him.

As Wendibear intimidates, the lone knight maintains his vigil between his employer and the valiant. He eyes Theodoric's glowing eyes and Rahnur's look, and grins at the two men. "Perhaps I shall. I'd like to see that sword arm, and that bow, put to good use. Otherwise it'll be a boring set of days." With that, he walks off.

Elsewhere, Lucienne trades barbs of her own, her "brilliance" getting a smile out of Evermor. "How very self-aware you are, Lucienne. A wonder you're not already a published debutante of Waterdeep, at the rate you're going: and so knowledgeable about heroism! Have much experience with that?" Dare she take the bait?

Cleaned up, Carlona sheepishly takes the invitations to join well. "I suppose that makes sense. From what it sounds like, the rest of the caravan would sooner see me dead than join you all, so I'll take what meager offerings I can get." Though she does not seem to suspect Theodoric's distrust, she smiles to each of them, her smile waning as she tries to make sense of his glowing face. At Taliesin's questions about Waterdeep, she smiles. "North Ward. Near Trollskull Alley, if you're familiar. Got some friends there, and I wish I could say in high places."

Elsewhere, Evermor hoots with laughter. "Heroes are so easily called fools by the sane, but let's see how this bears out." When she goes to say her peace, Oyn watches her curiously, and from the reactions of the others, seems to approve at a distance.

As Taliesin heads elsewhere to confront the elderly, Wendy reveals more about her affiliation and presumably the others; Carlona's eyes light up at the sight of the harp and moon on her staff. "Quite alright, Dardanelle. Quite a staff, well-made besides. Bet it looks gorgeous in the light of the moon." Imsa doesn't seem any the wiser for that. Carlona offers her a wink and wants to know more, but lets discretion get the better of her. She talks of Waterdeep, of the North Ward and her adolescence there: she is originally from Amphail but moved after a troll attacked and killed her father and uncle.

When later comes, Belmund reveals himself as well, and Carlona takes the bait. "How many of you all Harp? Dardanelle told me she was a bit earlier, and I guess you've all seen my tattoo; need to cast a spell to cover that. Out of my mind, I am. There were three of us before, in the last caravan. We left a day before you arrived; Selebon warned me more would be coming after us. The other two... didn't make it. Killed outright, their bodies hidden presumably because the caravan was none the wiser when they put me in the ground. I'd like the chance to avenge them, if I can."

Barbarna shakes her head at everything Taliesin has to say, except the extra ale. "I'll drink to that: but just that. You're a right fool, Wanderer."

⚔ Round II ⚔

The group strikes out against the arachnid threat.

Wendibear takes a chunk out of her ettercap, two in fact, before turning and fleeing. Theorodic's hammer does no good while Rahnur and Belmund's attacks are quite successful, though no one falls. Indeed, Aralim's bow catches a spider in a clutch of eyes but does not drop it. When Dani brings worth the weight of her world upon the fleeing ettercaps and horse, it temporarily stuns them but they keep onEttercaps 2 and 3 and Horse 1 and 2 Con saves 14, 17, 20 and 16 each vs. Dani DC 14, all saved for half damage. Indeed, the two ettercaps keep on with the horses, though they turn back to hiss.

Sulesdeg and Carlona keep at the fray as well, Sulesdeg hacking off the leg of one spider with his massive blade and Carlona missing the other by a wide margin. The ettercap hissing at Wendibear puts its pinchers together and fires off a shot of webbing at her, catching her in the back and webbing her where she standsEttercap 1 Web Shot 19 vs. Wendibear AC 11, hit; Wendy is restrained, unless she makes an 11 Strength check or deals 5 damage to the webbing, AC 10.. The maimed spider strikes out at Sulesdeg, while the other goes for Theodoric; one catches Sulesdeg, and while the other catches Theodoric, it does notGiant spider 2 Attack 19 vs. Theodoric AC 20, miss damn you! pierce his skin, a fortunate thing as Sulesdeg is injected further with poison. The other two fleeing ettercaps fire off webs as well, one at Aralim and one at Dani: while Aralim dodges deftlyEttercap 2 Web Attack 14 vs. Aralim AC 20, miss, Dani does not, catching it square in the bootsEttercap 3 Web Shot 12 vs. Dani AC 12, hit; Dani is restrained, unless she makes an 11 Strength check or deals 5 damage to the webbing, AC 10..

With that, they begin to head deeper into the woods and out of sight with the horses, worse for wear due to the gravitational weight placed upon them.

Out of Character

No map, pure TotM
Initiative
Spiders
Party

Allies
Sulesdeg-AC 16, 46/65 HP
Carlona-AC 16, 51/51 HP

Enemies
Ettercap 1-AC 13, 14/44 HP
Ettercap 2-AC 13, 41/44 HP
Ettercap 3-AC 13, 25/44 HP
Giant Spider 1-AC 14, 1/26 HP
Giant Spider 2-AC 14, 26/26 HP

Out of Character

spacer.png
Caravan Stats
85/84 Travelers
12/12 Wagons
8/60 days passed
Caravan Members

Yay!

General rules:

• Influencing the Caravan is an optional rule you can use, as conflict may potentially come up and other caravaneers may help you out if you're friendly with them. Persuasion, Deception, etc. come to mind. If a wagon or individual members of a wagon are friendly towards you, you may get support. The Dc will depend on who you're trying to influence and how. If you want to learn about a NPC or wagon beforehand, you have the manifest and thus list of names and goods, but influencing people is a different matter. Green Imsa is friendly to everyone, but Evermor is only friendly to Dani, for example. Imsa is one person, but Evermor has a whole wagon. Some cart drivers will be downright hostile, thus influencing individual people makes more sense.
  • Rahnur: To learn sign language, it takes 10 days minus your Intelligence modifier, so 9 days. These can be stretched out over the whole of the caravan ride, and will take 25 gp from your salary (I'm modifying it since there's no reason for it to cost 25 gp per tenday), and will be done separately from your salaried work. Roll a d100 and we'll discuss complications as they arise.

Day 4:

• I can provide guidance on revealing to Carlona most of you are Harpers and what you're doing. If you plan on doing so, I can reveal further information as you like; if you rolled Insight already, I'll provide answers accordingly to confirm or deny trust.

Day 5:

a dwarf with short hair and a short beard stands, peering worryingly into the darkness of a forgotten temple

Name: Belmund Brokenstone | Race/Class: Dwarf Ranger | HP: 40/40 AC: 13 PP: 15 AS:3/3

Carlona Conundrum!

At the mention of Selebon's name and two dead Harpers, Belmund was glad this conversation was taking place in private. Still, he considered each of her words as she said them, looking for any cryptic meanings. He knew, at times, he could be too trusting, but people tended to reveal themselves in ways they were not able to control, especially when they thought they had a trustworthy audience. Belmund found playing that audience to be more useful than not.

"Ahh cannae say," he started, dropping his Murdoc accent if only for the sake of building that implied trust further, "best if each o' them makes a choice o' showin' a true face, as ye kin likely agree. Ahh've found a different approach teh be more, say, effective. In any ol' case, yer story be indicatin' that eyes be watchin' fer us, so best limit what each o' us knows lest we be caught an' forced teh implicate others. Keep low, fer now. If anyone else asks, ye theived milk n' cheese from another wagon fer fear o' starvation due to bein' robbed yerself. Agreed?"

Combat Cacophony!

The initial chaos of the battle started to slip into a dance of sorts as the Heroes opened their arsenals. Just as Belmund's first shot landed true, burying deep in the Ettercap's side, he had another arrow ripping from his bow as he uttered the carefully memorized phonemes to mark his wounded target.

OOC

Insight check on Carlona's response, as he continues to evaluate her intentions, fellow Harper or not. He also tries to invent a cover story in case any of the other caraveers comes quetsioning.

Belmund drops Hunter's Mark on the Ettercap he and Rahnur are shooting at, firing another arrow at the same.

Action: Longbow to Ettercap (same target as Rahnur)

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Insight
1d20+3 9
Longbow_ATK
1d20+4 12
Longbow_DMG
1d8+2 3
HuntersMark_DMG
1d6 2

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy
Level 4 Goblin Urchin Druid (Circle of the Moon)

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

STR: 10 (+0) | DEX: 15 (+2) | CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1) | WIS: 18 (+4) | CHA: 8 (–1)

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16, passive Investigation 11
Wild Shapes: 2/2 per short rest

More Traits, Features, and Abilities

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Tools. disguise kit, herbalism kit, painter’s supplies

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 8 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal savagery, shape water, shillelagh
1st level (1/4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, good berry, healing word, speak with animals
2nd level (3/3 slots): enlarge/reduce, moonbeam, pass without trace

Cantrips

control flames, shape water, shillelagh

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

List of Beasts Wendy Can Turn into

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

pp: 0 | gp: 38 | ep: 16 | sp: 40 | cp: 208 | 100 gp gemstone: 1

Inventory

Worn or At-Hand (an interact with object to retrieve)

1 set of Frulam Mondath’s purple robes (won from killing Frulam Mondath, 3 lb.)
1 set of leather armor (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 wooden shield (starting equipment, 6 lb.)
1 Black Dragon Helm (wooden shield) (looted off Tiamat Statue, 6 lb.)
1 hat of disguise (Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement) While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.) (won in Elturel fair)
1 druidic focus (wooden staff—starting equipment, 4 lb.)
7/7 daggers (small knife—starting equipment & confiscated from kobolds, 1 lb.)
1 handaxe (starting equipment, 2 lb.)
1 shortsword (—)
1 sling (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, —)
30/30 sling bullets (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, 33.6 oz. (1.2 oz, each)
1 backpack (starting equipment, 5 lb.)
1 belt pouch (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 fifty-foot, hempen rope (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 waterskin (starting equipment, 5 lb. (full))
1 hooded lantern (bought in Greenest, 2 lb.)
5/5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

Stowed away in, or Strapped to Her Backpack (an action to retrieve)

15/15 days’ worth of rations (starting equipment, 20 lb.)
1 map of the city you grew up in (Waterdeep—from urchin background)
1 mess kit (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 tinderbox (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)
10/10 torches (starting equipment, 9 lb.)
1 painter’s supplies (from starting 500 gp item, 5 lb.—topped off in Elturel)
1 disguise kit (from starting 500 gp item , 3 lb.)
1 herbalism kit (purchased with 5 of the 10 starting gold, 3 lb.)
1 set of common clothes (starting equipment, 3 lb.)
1 painting by an artist long forgotten by everyone except a dragon
1 potion of ??? (won in Elturel fair)

Party Wagon (pulled by Ruby)

Wendy and her friends!

75/75 days’ worth of feed (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 pack saddle (bought in Greenest, 15 lb.)
1 bit and bridle (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 saddlebags (bought in Greenest, 8 lb.)
1 two-person tent (bought in Greenest, 20 lb.)
1 bedroll (starting equipment, 7 lb.)
1 chest (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 cases for maps and scrolls (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 set of fine clothes (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 lamp (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 bottle of ink (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 ink pen (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 flasks of oil (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
5/5 sheets of paper (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 vial of perfume (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 sealing wax (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 soap (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)

Sanders (Wendy’s Pet Mouse from Her Urchin Background)

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Str 2 (–4) Dex 11 (+0) Con 9 (–1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 4 (–3)

Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

Ruby (Wendy’s Draft Horse—Purchased in Greenest)

D5qG4Ge.png

Ruby (pulling the Party Wagon)

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Str 18 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Con 12 (+1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 7 (–2)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

IC
Day 4: Payback (26 Kythorn)

At Taliesin's questions about Waterdeep, she smiles. "North Ward. Near Trollskull Alley, if you're familiar. Got some friends there, and I wish I could say in high places."

“Ooh! I remember Trollskull Alley!” Wendy chirped. “It was all such a scandal when it was discovered that the so-called ‘orphanage’ that nice old lady, Thelinis Dungsnout, turned out to be a hag that was cooking and eating the children. Oh, poor Ulkoria Stonemarrow—she’s an archmage in waterdeep—must have been so distraught when she learned her old manor was used like that.”

"Quite alright, Dardanelle. Quite a staff, well-made besides. Bet it looks gorgeous in the light of the moon."

“Thank you, Miss Carlona! Mother Aderyn gave me this as a parting gift! It’s very precious to me!”

Day 8: Spider Woods (30 Kythorn)

Round 3

Wendibear took a gamble and attempted to use her claws to slash the webbing restraining her, knowing that once free, she’d be able to run up and bite the ettercap . . . up until the webs were more plucked like guitar strings rather than slashed.

With a frustrated growl, she bit and tore open her webbing restraints with her maw. With a mighty roar, she rushed up onto the ettercap that dared to web her! She’d tear it limb from limb next turn!

OOC

Movement: Movement to close distance with ettercap

Action(s): Multiattack: Bite & Claw Attacks to get free.

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Concentration:

Wendibear
KaM27np.png

Large Beast, Unaligned
Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d10 + 12)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
19 (+4) 10 (+0) 16 (+3) 12 (+1) 16 (+3) 8 (–1)

Proficiency Bonus +2
Saving Throws Int +3, Wis +5
Skills Acrobatics +4, Perception +5, Stealth +4, Survival +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages understands Common, Goblin, and Druidic but can’t speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Environment: Arctic, Forest, Hill

Source: MM, page 319. Also found in PotA; SKT; TftYP; GoS; IMR; MOT; IDRotF; WBtW. Available in the SRD.

To Whom It May Concern . . .

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
Wendibear Multiattack Claw Attack vs AC 10 Webbing; Damage; Critical Damage
7; 12; 10
1d20+6;2d6+4;2d6 [1]; [1,5,3]; [1,5,3,4,6]
Wendibear Multiattack Bite Attack vs AC 10 Webbing; Damage; Critical Damage
24; 8; 4
1d20+6;1d8+4;1d8 [18]; [18,4]; [18,4,4]

Dani_3-removebg-preview.png.3e744157c29de84676034f12b5219f17.pngLucienne d'Amaranthine

Human Graviturgy Wizard (4)

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

Day 3 - 25 Kythorn, 1489 DR

Lucienne nearly choked on her own laughter at Oyn’s implication that she had experience with heroism. “Ha! If you know nothing else about me, Oyn, you should at least know that I am no fool. I may be stubborn, but that is only because I am often right, and many think that just because I did not speak my knowledge in a way that they see as ‘nice’ then I am not worth listening to. Foolish, really. I’ve attempted to publish a few textbooks back in Suzail but clearly I did not grease enough palms for my published works to see the candlelight of the city library.” She brushed his attempt to learn about her aside and instead provided a lie in its stead. She had never attempted to publish any books back in Suzail, and if she had, they certainly wouldn’t be found published under the name Lucienne. 

Day 8 - 30 Kythorn, 1489 DR

Luci scowled at the ettercaps’ surprising level of resistance to her magic. The expression was followed by a grunt of aggravation as the webs planted her to the ground by her boots. “Blast it all to the nine hells...” She grumbled, only slightly losing her Chondothan accent in the chaos of it all. “Put the damned horse down, wretch. Down!” She extended a hand and conjured three spiraling bolts of magical force, aglow with a bright purple hue. The bolts shot through the air in erratic patterns and found their home in the back of one of the fleeing ettercaps.

Actions

Day 8 Actions:

Action - Cast Magic Missile (Level 1; 3 bolts at Ettercap 1 unless it’s dead then I will target Ettercap 3.)

Movement - Web, no move :c

Name
Deception Day 3
1d20+1 8
Magic Darts
3d4+3 2,1,3

IC

spacer.pngRahnur Rhahlem

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2594301

NG Half-Drow Fighter (Champion) Lvl 4  AC 15 HP 34/34 Speed 30 ft. PP 14

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 8 (-1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Strength Save: +1
Dexterity Save: +4; Acrobatics +6
Constitution Save: +3
Intelligence Save: +1
Wisdom Save: +2; Insight +4, Perception +4
Charisma Save: +2; Persuasion +4

Attack and Scores

2 Shortswords +6, 1d6+4; Longbow +8, 1d8+4, 150/300; Dagger +6, 1d4+4, 20/60

Class and Race Abilities

Darkvision: 60 ft.
Drow Magic (DC 12):
At will - Dancing LightsYou create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

1/day - Faerie FireEach object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

Fey AncestryYou have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Fighting Style: Archery

Second Wind (Recharges After a Short or Long Rest)You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
: 1d10+3

Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Day Five: Golden Stag

Rahnur had been quick to blink away from what he was focusing on before turning to him, "Appreciate the offer to talk, stranger," he said with a slight smile before looking back to his work, "I'm mostly fine. Just...shocked I would get a thank you like that. Especially from...someone like him."

Rahnur didn't know how to exactly place it. He still didn't know if the stag was a god's servant or the victim of a spell gone wrong, but he had to admit he could feel the loneliness radiating from the elf and wondered what happened to him once he was able to get away. Hopefully, he was able to find some way home.

Day Eight: Spiderwood

Rahnur knocked another arrow and fired. He had to admit these things were becoming just as if not more annoying than the kobolds. At least the kobolds didn't have webs.

OOC

Attack Action: Longbow strike to the fleeing ettercap he struck last turn if alive. If not, directed to the next one

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Edited by Amaryllis77 (see edit history)
Name
Sign Language Lessons
1d100 62
Attack
1d20+8 10
Damage
1d8+4 2
Possible Critical
1d8 8

image.png.e71a7aa4717c5597a5d2af7105589c79.pngTaliesin Wanderer (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 20|  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ (metamagic)

26th Kythorn: Payback

Taliesin sighed at the mess he'd made with Barbarna. He knew he needed to be more pragmatic, but to be fair when he was speaking to her, he wasn't solely speaking to her. There were other ears around, and if this woman was set on her 'me-first' ways... well, there were others around that might be more persuadable. He drank and diced, but also looked around for other opportunities to gain trust. Were there any sympathetic faces?

30th Kythorn: Spider Woods

The Wanderer ducked as he ran full speed, just barely out of the way of a flying web. We need to keep them bunched up, to save the horses. Are we far enough away from the others for me to sling spells, and still keep my cover? I suppose we'll find out. Can't prevent Sulesdeg and and Carlona seeing, though I care less about dropping character in front of the Harper.

It was a combination that had worked for them in the past, and this time it needed to be right for them to recover the horses. These spiders were tougher than anything they'd faced before but with Lady Lucienne's mystic impact on them, Taliesin hoped it would be enough.

He stretched out a hand and gathered more power than he'd ever used in such an attempt. As he did so, something occurred to him... what about putting the horses to sleep? If the ettercaps couldn't lead them away, it might give them time to catch up and defeat the spiderkin. He murmured in a low voice, "Sleep, so you can see the dawn."

Mechanics

Action: Upcast Sleep, spending one sorcery point on Distant Spell. Centered on the horses, if it happens to be enough to catch the injured ettercap then fantastic. Try not to catch Wendibear in the area of effect.

Bonus Action:

Move: Continue toward the nearest ettercap.

Other:

Name
Sleep upcast
7d8 3,8,5,4,8,4,1

Theodoric UnmaskedTheodoric | Aasimar Paladin 4

AC: 20 (Plate & Shield) | HP: 36/36 | DR: 3 (Nonmagical B/P/S) | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Class / Race Features | Prepared Spells

Healing Hands (2d4): 1/1 | Celestial Revelation: 1/1 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Harness Divine Power: 1/1 | 1st Lvl Slots: 1/3

Ninnywithers's further threats draw no response from Theodoric as he walks away. The pompous noble and his retainers may not be dragon cultists, but they had the capability to be just as problematic. Looking to Rahnur, he says in a low tone, "We'll need to watch that one. Take care."

If the knight was fool enough to try anything, well... Theodoric knew many ways to punish the wicked.

Theodoric makes an effort to appear like he's barely listening to Daniella as she relays her information about the Cult wagon, idly polishing his shield. Her comments on Carlona do draw a response in return - "Understood, and agreed. Though this 'lost mutt' may be more loyal than expected." He glances pointedly at Wendy's staff, then back at Daniella, hoping she would get the idea.

Later, during the private talk with Carlona, the mention of Selebon by name helps to put Theodoric further at ease. "It seems our journeys and alliances align. I may not Harp, but I walk with my allies all the same. If our enemy is the same as well, I am more than happy to assist in your vengeance."

Despite their best efforts, the ettercaps begin to make significant distance from the caravan, riding the horses into the woods beyond. Theodoric instead turns his attention to the spider attempting to bear down on him, slamming his warhammer into the cluster of eyes atop the arachnid's head.

OOC

Day 8 Combat!

Movement: None at the moment.

Bonus Action: None.

Action: Smack the spider that tried to bite me.

Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Warhammer vs. Spider
1d20+5 12
Warhammer Damage
1d8+5 2

Posted (edited)

Carlona snorts at Wendy's mention of Dungsnout. "Weren't so nice in my opinion, but I lost friends to that hag. Didn't realize it until the affair was over, but there it was. Got what she deserved." She sounds somewhat bitter about it, and sighs. "Still, I miss the place. Gonna be good to see it again."

Carlona nods along. "Well, I do like milk and cheese. I suppose it depends on if it's Tethyrian yellow or ripe Chessentan, I'd steal that cheese in a heartbeat." She nods. "I appreciate it, whether it comes up with the others or not. You all've done me a lot of good. Selebon gave us all hell about you newcomers being a waste, but what a waste you aren't, saving my hide." Her thanks is sincere, as is her belief in the group that's saved her. Carlona can be trusted, as far as Belmund can tell.

⚔ Round III ⚔

Webbed as they are, Wendibear and Dani do their best to break free or at least act. While the bear breaks free and tears towards the remaining ettercaps, Dani fires off a barrage of spells which catch the ettercap, almost bringing it down, leaving marks as each one impacts with a crack. Rahnur and Belmund act in concordance with one another, almost bringing down another, while Theodoric hits his spider for the last time: its head implodes from the blow, and the spider falls. That's one down.

Aralim, as Taliesin, summons forth the dawn to bring forth a spell of sleep upon the creatures, and two of the ettercaps, nearest death, collapse into a snoring, gurgling fit of blood: not dying, only resting. The other spider and last ettercap, however, continue their assaults and attempts, the spider moving to Theodoric and missing with its pincherGiant Spider 2 Attack 9 vs. Theodoric AC 20, miss, the other ettercap clicking as it tries to lead the horse by itself; the horse begins to resist, and the ettercap begins to panic, looking at the attackers and the horse: should it eat it? Should it abandon it and fight for its life, or simply flee? As Wendibear comes barreling towards it, it makes a noise like hocking a big expectorant from its mouth and fires another wad of webbing at her: it hits Wendibear smackRecharge roll: 5
Ettercap 2 Web Attack 19 vs. Wendibear AC 11, hit, ensnared in webs; see previous post for details
in the face, then spreads all over the ground, ensnaring her once more. The ettercap hisses in joy. While Carlona misses the spider, Sulesdeg's massive blow cleaves off half of its pincher and a few eyes with it.

If they're quick, they can still save the horse.

Out of Character

No map, pure TotM
Initiative
Spiders
Party

Allies
Sulesdeg-AC 16, 46/65 HP
Carlona-AC 16, 51/51 HP

Enemies
Ettercap 1-AC 13, 5/44 HP, Asleep
Ettercap 2-AC 13, 41/44 HP
Ettercap 3-AC 13, 12/44 HP, Asleep
Giant Spider 1-AC 14, 0/26 HP
Giant Spider 2-AC 14, 18/26 HP

Out of Character

spacer.png
Caravan Stats
85/84 Travelers
12/12 Wagons
8/60 days passed
Caravan Members

Yay!

General rules:

• Rahnur: To learn sign language, it takes 10 days minus your Intelligence modifier, so 9 days. These can be stretched out over the whole of the caravan ride, and will take 25 gp from your salary (I'm modifying it since there's no reason for it to cost 25 gp per tenday), and will be done separately from your salaried work. Roll a d100 and we'll discuss complications as they arise.

Day 3:

• Decided to keep the results of your roll to myself, Foxxe.

Day 5: