Issue #01 - C-Day Celebrations

Khakhan

EdwardSmithheadshotsm.png.e1e70d87ad3a68a57039d927d4bde98d.png     Edward - Harbinger

Edward "listened" as the others all ran off to get their own view of what was going on. And this wonderful new means of chat was audio only, Edward figured it was for very good reasons, mostly Mikaela's privacy and or her wish for privacy for others if Edward had his guess. Her discipline was exemplary, and he could only imagine that it was on par or better than Xhou's or his own. Perhaps if they had a chance to speak after this incident he could ask. Then there was a bright flash from behind the buildings.

Sigh

"So it would seem that the others are already on their way over. I am afraid that I do not have a means of quick travel, at least not at the moment. If you wish to jump over there and join the others you may, I will be there as I can, if you do not then I would be happy to have your company while we jog over." Edward said, still not completely willing to trust his ability to speak only to her in the mental chat room and not express his frustration to the others.

He could call the Blue Blitz, but by the time it arrived, this may very well already be over. So he mentally prepared himself for a jog. Nothing too exerting, in case he had to fight on the other side.

Passive Insight 24 - Passive Perception 24 - Passive Investigation 27

Edited by Streetrat (see edit history)

PhoenixFlame.png.63e79ce8218d9f0aedd345364ca85eeb.pngPhoenix Fist, aka Tsu Yang Zhou

DODGE: 8 | PARRY: 8 | TOUGHNESS: 6 (12) | FORTITUDE: 8 | WILL: 12

PERCEPTION: +12 | INSIGHT: +12 | HERO POINTS: 1 | CURRENT: 1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Resplendent Phoenix Stance; Enduring Breath

CONDITIONS: None.

Zhou shielded his eyes from the brilliant flare, the assembled device burning through concrete, steel and stone like a magnifying glass focused the sun's light to burn through rice-paper. He reached out to the thought-weave, <Targets halfway down University, wearing some sort of armor, approximately a dozen. Assembled apparatus, meted through building exterior, unit guarding perimeter, second unit entering interior.>

His mouth set in a tight line, Zhou prepared for action, he exhaled slowly, his eyes fluttering closed as he calmed his mind, racing thoughts, questions, doubts all subsided in that moment ... the serenity of action, or purpose. His eyes opened, slowly, he noted the movements of the perimeter guards, trained, competent, not to be underestimated. As instructed by the Hidden Masters, this was an opportunity, a teachable moment, to become like water, pervasive, all encompassing, to adapt to the changing tides of the upcoming confrontation. His legs, coiled beneath him, unwound, like powerful springs, catapulting him across the void, to the facade above the breach, a narrow band of concrete, likely marking the limit of the interior atrium before the stories above. Offices, likely ...

The spotters below, moved with military precision, however, they were looking for a response from like-minded individuals, police, military, authorities would, initially, arrive by vehicles, down boulevards and avenues. They had moved to sight lines that would cover those, allowing them to impede or delay the arrival of like-minded, miliary-trained individuals. Zhou was not like minded, confident in his abilities, he alighted, softly, on the outer facade, crouched low and waited, allowing the infiltratin team to enter the building, out of sight. There were three individuals in charges, the ones who had assembled the excavation device, they led the column of raiders now entering the building. Zhou's stomach expanded and contracted as he steadied his breathing, gathering his chi, he could feel it roiling around him, flowing through the tattoo which purified it, which kept the corrupted portion from reaching his heart, from completing it's task from so long ago.

He pushed that from his mind, these were not Sho-ming Xio's students, but it did not mean they were unconnected to his insidious plots, and regardless of their intentions, they were the root cause of the current attack on the city, on it's citizens. That could not stand. <Going in.> The column had moved beneath him, entering the building, he leapt, softly, from the facade, into the air, his arms extended, air rushed past him, that exhilarating feeling, that brief moment where he was suspended, the soft momentum of his leap arrested by the forces of gravity, and then the plummet, as he descended his left leg extended, his right leg coiled beneath him, his arms raised, the eddies of the concrete dust seemed to create wings, as the last student of Shaoqing landed with the speed and grace of a Phoenix master.

He had chosen entry from this position because it provided him the most cover, the smoke and rubble from the devices excavation of the exterior, and wind pushing the concrete dust in his direction, concealing him, he exhaled, slowly, surveyed the perimeter and then moved in, his weight distributed over the balls of his feet, ready to shift his moment in any direction, eyes half-lidded, as he pushed out, expanding his awareness feeling for the adrenalin-fueled chi of his targets. The interior was unfamiliar to him, the targets an unknown force, armed and equipped with tactical gear, he had to be careful, but he was wrapped in the spirit of his master, and the masters before her. He was ready.

Out of Character

Zhou will activate his Chi Senses so he can determine the location of the targets despite the presence of interior walls. Then using stealth will move in after them.

Name
Stealth Check (as required)
1d20+12 17

icon.png.1366233b3b9a68f777615787f0542315.pngMikaela Garrett - Psion

DODGE: +8 | PARRY: +8 | TOU: +4 | FORT: +8 | WILL: +12

HERO POINTS: 1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Mental Shields

CONDITIONS: None

As the other members of their motley crew started sounding off through their telepathic link, Mikaela felt some tension leave her shoulders. She'd been worried that her intrusion would be met with hostility, but it seemed that the others took it in stride. They, being of the heroic persuasion, probably saw the benefit much as Edward had.

As information filtered in, Mikaela sent out some quick replies. She'd gotten everyone's names from Edward, but it felt a little presumptuous to use them without proper introductions. It helped tell everyone's mental voices apart, at least.

<Gotcha, big guy. Be careful, shout if you need help. And oh man, super speed? I'm jealous. Yeah, within a mile and we're good. I can push further if we need to, but things get less reliable.>

Mikaela looks at Edward as he speaks, and gives a neutral shrug.

"Nah, we can jog. Gives them time to sneak around; if things get loud, they'll let us know and we'll hurry over. I can give you a ride if it comes to it, but it might not be the most comfortable option. This way, we'll be mostly there by the time things get interesting."

She gives a quick glance to Nellie, and sends her a brief message.

<This should be quick. Stay safe, call if you need me. I'll keep the channel open.>

As Mikaela jogged with Edward, moving closer to University Boulevard, Zhou's mental missive came through. The young man sounded efficient and professional, almost like she imagined a soldier might. It raised questions about him and his history, but maybe there'd be time to discuss that sort of thing later.

<Jeez, melted through the building? This is more serious than I thought. Do you know what building it is? Are they robbing a bank or something? They sound dangerous, be careful->

Wait, did he say going in? This guy was fearless. Mikaela's pace quickened.

"Hah, maybe this will get interesting faster than I thought."

EdwardSmithheadshotsm.png.e1e70d87ad3a68a57039d927d4bde98d.png     Edward - Harbinger

Edward nodded to Mikaela and started jogging over with him. He half expected her to fly away, and company was appreciated while Zhou went in by himself. He was not thinking about his own safety, and he wondered what his Sensei would say. Edward would do what he could to not bring it up, unless it went very very poorly. Edward would need to request that they start training in other areas than just sparring.

"Thank you for joining me," Edward said as he paced Mikaela. "I must commend you on your self-control and willpower. I could not imagine how much self-control it must take to be able to create a mental link with a small group of new and random individuals and still respect their mental privacy, you must have trained hard." Let alone if she was able to feel emotions, the constant eddies and whirlpools of emotions in the recent event must have been like waves crashing against the walls of a city.

"Sure, no problem," Mikaela said. What Edward said next, though, made her pause a moment. In an expression too minute and brief for most anyone to read, except perhaps Edward himself, several emotions warred. Guilt, fear, determination and more.

"I-... it takes quite a bit. I didn't used to have that kind of control. You're right; it took a lot of work. But enough practice, and it becomes second nature."

She reaches out a hand, palm down, holding her iced coffee with her fingertips. "It's all about depth, is the thing. Reaching out to a mind with a feather-light touch is all it takes to make the connection. For just talking, you don't need depth so much as contact. As you go deeper, you..." She curls her fingers, and the plastic cup starts to dent and deform, disturbing the contents. She lightens her grip. "But when you start- or, when I started, at least, all I knew was pedal to the metal. It took time to learn how to do things properly."

It feels strange, talking so openly. She'd discussed some of this with Nellie, but that was about it. Her parents were more concerned with her ability to control her talent, rather discussing the mechanics of it. Once she'd gotten control, they preferred to pretend it didn't exist. She couldn't blame them, of course, but it was almost... refreshing, actually talking about it.

Edward could appreciate that. "A friend once explained something similar to me. When manipulating a quarter with magnetic fields, there was a difference between putting a quarter into a vending machine and putting it through a vending machine, and though through was much easier, into was more useful." It seemed that he managed to find those who had also developed a sense of self-control for one reason or another. Perhaps Mikaela may even one day be counted as a friend. Though, it seemed that she was speaking about herself rather easily. Perhaps she, like him, had to hold people at bay. Letting someone get close what? Scares them? Causes harm? Wierds them out? Causes mistrust. That last one was the one that hurt the most. Friendships break because they do not feel that they can trust you. Edward counted himself lucky that he had Zhou to count as a friend

"I can appreciate the need for such training. Were you lucky enough to have a teacher?" Edward had not been that lucky. "I'm sorry, I do not mean to pry, it's just..." I have an unerring need to accrue information and find answers.

Edited by Streetrat (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

ISSUE #01

C-DAY CELEBRATIONS

Zhou sailed effortlessly through the opening created by the strange weapon, landing on the debris-strewn interior with barely a whisper. As he pushed his senses outward, he half noted the edges of the hole he had entered through. The edges of the hole were melted into a slick glassy substance that caught the light sifting through the dust and sent the edges glimmering.

He stood in the foyer of a galleria of some kind, glass display cases lining the floor, and cases along the walls. As the world fell away, populated by glittering clouds of light, the cases disappeared and he saw the occupants further into the building. What he saw was… odd. Three bright clouds were populated among the back of the galleria, one to each wall away from the hole they had carved through the wall. But for all the rest of the group he had seen enter the building, were pale, their cloud of lights muted and pulsing irregularly, matching the 3 stronger clouds with a delay in almost a call-and-response of life energy.

Nellie gave the equivalent of a mental nod across the link. <Go. I'll help here how I can.> The impression of physical effort comes across the link, Nellie running somewhere or lifting something with effort. <Stay safe, girl.> Worry flickers momentarily, before surety comes through and a smile.. <Kick their asses.>

PhoenixFlame.png.63e79ce8218d9f0aedd345364ca85eeb.pngPhoenix Fist, aka Tsu Yang Zhou

DODGE: 8 | PARRY: 8 | TOUGHNESS: 6 (12) | FORTITUDE: 8 | WILL: 12

PERCEPTION: +12 | INSIGHT: +12 | HERO POINTS: 1 | CURRENT: 1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Resplendent Phoenix Stance; Enduring Breath

CONDITIONS: None.

Zhou focused on the task at hand, seamlessly blending into the shadows as he ventured deeper into the galleria. The psychic network facilitated constant communication with Mikaela and the rest of the team, ensuring real-time updates on the raiders' positions and any potential threats.

Guided by the peculiar light patterns, Zhou maneuvered through the displays and cases, maintaining his vigilance toward the raiders and the enigmatic energy sources in the galleria. The Resplendent Phoenix techniques he had mastered granted him unmatched agility, allowing him to move with grace and precision, evading detection as he closed in on the heart of the raiders' operation.

As he prepared to confront the unknown challenges ahead, Zhou drew strength from the psychic connection with his companions. The rhythmic echo of life energy became his guide, leading him deeper into the galleria, ready to unravel the mysteries and face the adversaries that lay ahead.

<I've infiltrated the galleria. The raiders' life energy patterns are unique, with three strong sources guiding the group. The rest exhibit irregular pulsing, in a rhythmic echo of the stronger source. Proceeding cautiously.>

Remaining in a low crouch, Zhou's muscles coiled like a spring, poised to unleash their power in any direction should the raiders become aware of his presence. His training in the Resplendent Phoenix style manifested in every movement, his body a testament to both agility and readiness. With a heightened awareness, he scanned for potential threats from every vector, prepared to respond with the same fluid precision that marked his martial prowess. The galleria, once a quiet space, now echoed with the potential for conflict, and Zhou embraced the tranquility within the storm. Each step carried the weight of Shaoqing's teachings, the resonance of his own training in the Resplendent Phoenix style. As the mysteries of the galleria unraveled before him, Zhou remained a poised force, ready to navigate its currents with the grace and strength befitting the last, living, student of Shaoqing.

• 2 weeks later...

Edward thought more than a few very old and easily translatable words if his tone could be read. <Please be careful, I am looking forward to our sparring session on Thursday and would hate to miss it because you are in the ICU> Edward was already running part of his mind in ways that they could start teamwork-style exercises to help them learn to work together. Sparring was fine, but perhaps they may need to learn how to utilize each other's strengths to accommodate these type of situations in the future.

"There is much that is wrong here. The groups are not acting as individuals, the patterns are too uniform, they are acting as one mind or organism." Edward said trying to put together the clues that continued to be presented to him, even those that he was getting both under and over his conscious perception. There are too many unknown factors at play and I don't like the unknown Edward thought perhaps a bit too loudly as they closed the distance to the first building that they could peek around and get a better view of the plan unfolding.

Edward's positivity was a little infectious, and Mikaela found herself laughing at his story. "Right, exactly. It's easy to use force; nuance is more difficult, but usually more useful."

Mikaela seemed a little hesitant at Edward's next question, but his apology smooths over any anxiety. She doesn't seem to mind sharing the story, but Edward's keen eyes can tell she's being careful with how she phrases things.

"No, it's fine, it's fine. I did have a teacher. My dad found him for me, a little after my talent first manifested. He... made me into who I am now."

She says that with a sort of resolve, tinged with some more complicated emotions. She's about to turn the question back to Edward, when Zhou's voice comes across the mental network.

Mikaela's expression turns pensive. The fact that Zhou can somehow detect the nuances of the raider's life energy patterns only gives her pause for a moment; it sounded similar to, though different from, the way she could perceive the minds of others. That was very interesting.

<An echo...? It could be that the three stronger sources are controlling the echoing ones. I've... seen that sort of thing before. We'll have to be careful until we know for sure if they're combatants, or just civilians with puppet strings.>

The idea seems to make Mikaela anxious, but she echoes Edward's sentiment herself, sending a feeling of cautious confidence across the network. Zhou seemed very capable, but that was no reason to be rash. Her demeanor changes a little; she moves from the congeniality she'd had a moment ago, to something much more businesslike.

As they neared the building, Mikaela switches primarily to telepathic communication; she does it almost reflexively, though she hopes the others will acclimate. For now, she's itching to get a better idea of what's going on in there; the possibility of the criminals being under mental control seems to have increased her urgency.

<I agree; this seems... wrong. Edward, can you keep an eye on me for a second? I'm gonna see if I can't get a better look in there.>

As she says this, she's already taking a seat on the sidewalk, legs crossed, back against the building behind her. She places her coffee next to her, then puts her hands on her knees, eyes closed, and takes a deep breath. On the inhale, she focuses, imagining a door in her mind. On the exhale, she releases the tension, opening the door and expelling her mind from her body. Her posture is relaxed, as is her breathing; it's hard to tell what she's just done, but evidently it wasn't terribly difficult for her.

<I won't be able to hear you with my actual ears like this; you'll have to use the network to talk to me. If that's still a little tricky, I can still feel, so tap my shoulder and I'll wake up.>

She rises, imperceptible to mundane senses, like some kind of phantom. With a thought, she propels her perception through the wall behind her, searching for the galleria Zhou is in. She hopes to be able to use her extrasensory perception to try and aid Zhou's own, and diagnose what's going on with these people.

Edward furrowed his brow when asked to watch over Mikaela's body. The only reason why she would ask for him to look over her body would be that she would not be able to do so. Was this extrasensory perception? Was she Astral projecting? Such a skill, either one would be immensely useful when trying to gain intelligence. Already he had intruded upon her secrets and withheld the myriad of questions that flooded into him. <You can count on me.>

Edward placed himself in a position where he could watch both Mikaela and get a good view of anyone coming from the direction of the strange crowds and see a reflection behind him in case of anyone approaching from there. "You can count on me." he says out loud to himself. He felt useless, only able to watch and protect a girl he just met. But then, it seemed she knew that she would be vulnerable, and by protecting her, he was in fact keeping her from a very real harm.

While he watched and listened to the 'Network' he let his mind wander over the events and details to see if he could bring to the forefront of his mind any details that they may have missed.