Game rules and expectations

Here’s some guidelines to remember as we play our game (in no particular order, copied over from the old LPF site, and based on the advice from the numerous excellent GMs of games past):

1. Modified group initiative. Everyone rolls initiate, and you will act with whatever chuck of rolls you land in. For example, one round maybe look like this: the rogue, the goblins, the casters, the orcs, and then the paladin. I’ll do my best resolve actions in the order that they were posted.

2. Posting format: each player must post with a title and a picture. Please include mechanics, a short summary of important stats, and OOC stuff in separate spoiler blocks. I like having a nice and clean in-character thread to read through.

3. Absolutely no Player-vs-Player actions will be tolerated! Feel free to disagree or even argue, but nothing further than that. We are here to have fun, so don’t ruin it for others.

4. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about how the game is being run. If I can’t help you, or you don’t feel comfortable asking me, don’t be afraid to reach out to the judge.

5. Ghosting and dropping is the worst. Don’t be that person. If you are going to be unable to post or complete the game, please let us know. We understand that real life is more important, but just don’t leave us hanging!

6. Posting frequency: The most successful games have a steady pace of posting, depending on who's in the group. Consistency is key! However, life can and does sometimes get in the way. I will be aiming to post about 3 times a week, so this won't be a super-fast game, but I'm looking for steady and continuous progress.

7. If you are going to be away for a few days, let us know so that either I or another player can temporarily NPC your character.

8. In combat, I will be rather strict about movement and action economy. Do your best to follow the mechanics, please.

9. I will handle many of the preemptive rolls like initiative, perception, and other passive skills or saves to keep things moving along. Play-by-post is slow enough as it is.

10. Use bold text and quotations for speech, and italics for thought.

11. I don’t require a novel every time you post. If you can shoot for two out of these three things for each post that would be rad: what your character says, does, or feels.

12. I typically allow 48 hours to post while you are in combat, otherwise I’ll skip your turn.

13. I do not enforce strict turns when in social discussion or exploring. Post when you can, the more often the better. If you feel like you are being overlooked, please let me know or send a PM and we can work to resolve things.

14. If you are unhappy with how I adjudicate an action, do your best to allow it to happen this time and we can fix it for next time. Obviously if it is critically important, we can pause the game to retcon if truly needed.

15. Try and solve encounters in-character, although I do realize that sometimes table talk is necessary.

16. Remember, you only have level 3 characters, not level 20 demigods that rule the universe.

17. Character death is on the table, and it is usually a combination of poor decisions and bad rolls, not both.

18. Although it’s my job to create the world, set the encounters, provide exposition, and be the physics engine, what really drives the game are active, fun, and creative players who interact with each other. Be that kind of player!

19. Be a team player! It's a cooperative game! Fun! I demand it!

0 topics in this forum

There are no topics in this forum yet