Edit History

Poor_Knight

Poor_Knight

Icewind Dale: Open Tundra

19 Kythorn at 10am-ish; Illumination: Exterior - Dark; Interior: Dark Weather: Blizzard

spacer.png

The creature responds in the Common language, "You have courage. But you hesitate. The mark of a good heart but do not let it be your doom. The tundra can be unforgiving. You need not fear me, lest you give me cause to become angry. I am called, Oyaminartok. But some refer to me as the Winter Walker, if that is simpler for you. You are welcome in this shelter and while I know of your deeds, I do not have names to call you. Come, do you desire a fire?"

The hybrid polar bear-humanoid walks towards the back of the cave, further from the howling winds and blinding snows. They have no equipment and wear no clothing. They are just a mass of muscle and white fur.

The wolf and the axe beak seem strangely at ease around this being.

"And you're in luck. I still have some dried knucklehead trout!" It turns its fur-covered muzzle towards you and flashes a toothy smile.

OOC

Out of combat unless you become aggressive...

Intelligence (Nature or Arcana) check:

Show DC 15

This being is a wearbear! You're doomed!

Show DC 18

Actually, Werebears are powerful lycanthropes with the ability to temper their monstrous natures and reject their violent impulses. But like others of their ilk, they are impervious to normal weapons. This one appears to be a goliath/polar bear. As such, it is resistant to cold and vulnerable to fire. In addition to the hybrid form it currently displays, it can shape change into a goliath or a polar bear.

Show DC 23

Its bite carries the curse of lycanthropy!

Show Blizzard

A blizzard’s howling wind limits hearing to a range of 100 feet and imposes disadvantage on ranged weapon attack rolls. It also imposes disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing. The wind extinguishes open flames, disperses fog, erases tracks in the snow, and makes flying by nonmagical means nearly impossible. A creature falls at the end of its turn if it is flying by nonmagical means and can’t hover.

Visibility in a blizzard is reduced to 30 feet. Creatures without goggles or other eye protection have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight due to blowing snow.

Any creature that is concentrating on a spell in a blizzard must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw at the end of its turn or lose its concentration on the spell unless the creature is sheltered against the elements (for example, in an igloo).

It’s easy to veer off course while traveling through a blizzard, and it’s also easy for party members to become separated from one another, which is why the wisest course of action is to stay put and wait for the blizzard to pass.

If the characters travel during a blizzard, have the players designate one party member as the navigator. At the end of each hour of travel through the blizzard, the DM makes a Wisdom (Survival) check on behalf of the navigator.

Show Travel

Tasks:

• Darvin: mapping
  • Vithka: noticing threats + navigating (natural explorer feature from Ranger class prevents getting lost; you may still take a wrong turn, but you realize where you are and can course correct right away).
  • Paavu: foraging (wander feature from Outlander backgroud provides 6 lbs of food and water each day)
  • Johnny: helping (Vithka noticing threats make most sense to me)
  • Roscoe: ?
  • Markax: ?

Roscoe and Markax could also "notice threats" (which uses your Passive Perception) or help forage (Make a Wisdom (Survival) check if you do)

Pace: Fast (1-2 hexes per 2 hours)
Navigation: Fast paced Wisdom (Survival) check DC 15 (arctic) w/ Advantage due to Map
Passive Perception (Vithka + help + pace): 16 +5 -5: 16
Required food/water (6 adventurers, 1 med beast, 1 large beast): 11 lbs./gallons per day. Net -5 lbs. of food/rations per day after foraging (water is non-issue).

Poor_Knight

Poor_Knight

19 Kythorn at 10am-ish; Illumination: Exterior - Dark; Interior: Dark Weather: Blizzard

spacer.png

The creature responds in the Common language, "You have courage. But you hesitate. The mark of a good heart but do not let it be your doom. The tundra can be unforgiving. You need not fear me, lest you give me cause to become angry. I am called, Oyaminartok. But some refer to me as the Winter Walker, if that is simpler for you. You are welcome in this shelter and while I know of your deeds, I do not have names to call you. Come, do you desire a fire?"

The hybrid polar bear-humanoid walks towards the back of the cave, further from the howling winds and blinding snows. They have no equipment and wear no clothing. They are just a mass of muscle and white fur.

"And you're in luck. I still have some dried knucklehead trout!" It turns its fur-covered muzzle towards you and flashes a toothy smile.

OOC

Show DC 15

Show DC 18

Actually, Werebears are powerful lycanthropes with the ability to temper their monstrous natures and reject their violent impulses. But like others of their ilk, they are impervious to normal weapons. This one appears to be a goliath/polar bear. As such, it is resistant to cold and vulnerable to fire. In addition to the hybrid form it currently displays, it can shape change into a goliath or a polar bear.

Show DC 23

Its bite carries the curse of lycanthropy!

Show Blizzard

A blizzard’s howling wind limits hearing to a range of 100 feet and imposes disadvantage on ranged weapon attack rolls. It also imposes disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing. The wind extinguishes open flames, disperses fog, erases tracks in the snow, and makes flying by nonmagical means nearly impossible. A creature falls at the end of its turn if it is flying by nonmagical means and can’t hover.

Visibility in a blizzard is reduced to 30 feet. Creatures without goggles or other eye protection have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight due to blowing snow.

Any creature that is concentrating on a spell in a blizzard must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw at the end of its turn or lose its concentration on the spell unless the creature is sheltered against the elements (for example, in an igloo).

It’s easy to veer off course while traveling through a blizzard, and it’s also easy for party members to become separated from one another, which is why the wisest course of action is to stay put and wait for the blizzard to pass.

If the characters travel during a blizzard, have the players designate one party member as the navigator. At the end of each hour of travel through the blizzard, the DM makes a Wisdom (Survival) check on behalf of the navigator.

Show Travel

Tasks:

• Vithka: noticing threats + navigating (natural explorer feature from Ranger class prevents getting lost; you may still take a wrong turn, but you realize where you are and can course correct right away).
  • Paavu: foraging (wander feature from Outlander backgroud provides 6 lbs of food and water each day)

Roscoe and Markax could also "notice threats" (which uses your Passive Perception) or help forage (Make a Wisdom (Survival) check if you do)

Navigation: Fast paced Wisdom (Survival) check DC 15 (arctic) w/ Advantage due to Map
Passive Perception (Vithka + help + pace): 15 +5 -5: 15
Required food/water (6 adventurers, 1 med beast, 1 large beast): 11 lbs./gallons per day. Net -5 lbs. of food/rations per day after foraging (water is non-issue).

Poor_Knight

Poor_Knight

spacer.png

OOC

Show DC 15

Show DC 18

Actually, Werebears are powerful lycanthropes with the ability to temper their monstrous natures and reject their violent impulses. But like others of their ilk, they are impervious to normal weapons. This one appears to be a goliath/polar bear. As such, it is resistant to cold and vulnerable to fire.

Show DC 23

Its bite carries the curse of lycanthrpoy!

Show Blizzard

Show Travel

Tasks:

Poor_Knight

Poor_Knight

spacer.png

OOC

Show DC 3 Intelligence (Nature or Arcana) check

This being is a wearbear!

Show this

Hide this

Show Blizzard

Show Travel

Tasks:

Poor_Knight

Poor_Knight

spacer.png

"And you're in luck. I still have some dried knucklehead trout!" It turns its fur-covered muzzle towards you and flashy a toothy smile.

OOC

Show this

Hide this

Show Blizzard

Show Travel

Tasks:

Poor_Knight

Poor_Knight

spacer.png

The hybrid polar bear-man walks towards the back of the cave, further from the howling winds and blinding snows. They have no equipment and wear no clothing. They are just a mass of muscle and white fur.

"And you're in luck. I still have some dried knucklehead trout!" It turns its fur-covered muzzle towards you and flashy a toothy smile.

OOC

Show this

Hide this

Show Blizzard

Show Travel

Tasks: