Character Balance and Brief

Paxon

1 hour ago, dalamb said:

I can get craft mechanical by shifting one of my oath boons. So I will look into Gladiator and see what looks interesting there.

Hadn't even thought about Gladiator when making suggestions, but Pax is right...lots of good options there.  🙂

7 hours ago, Arklytte said:

The other option is you could take a couple of Athletics talents, either for yourself or, again, Tank Only.  That would give us a third driver, in case Martin is covering for someone else and/or Doc is off dealing with wounded.

Why is Athletics relevant to the Driver role? I think I missed a rule somewhere. I have Drive as a class skill, and One With The Machine to get +2 with it. Are there other aspects to the role that I'm missing out on? I do have the athletics sphere and Expanded Training to get ranks in Acrobatics, Climb, and Swim.

@dalamb Since you're still tweaking, I would second Pax's mention of Gladiator, I think there's some good stuff in there that would be fitting for Tanya.

I'm not sure what you have for feats, but if you're willing to tweak those as well, you could look into the Squadron Feats. You have to take Troop Commander first to open the others up, and it doesn't do a whole lot on its own (gives a +1 boost to morale bonuses you give out with Warleader) so it's a bit of investment, but there are a few nice ones in there.

3 minutes ago, dalamb said:

Why is Athletics relevant to the Driver role? I think I missed a rule somewhere. I have Drive as a class skill, and One With The Machine to get +2 with it. Are there other aspects to the role that I'm missing out on? I do have the athletics sphere and Expanded Training to get ranks in Acrobatics, Climb, and Swim.

Ace Pilot allows you to use your Athletics talents while piloting a vehicle.

With the Tank providing Advisory Scout and Find the Gap, is it appropriate to replace my own versions of these two Scout talents with others? We'd lose access to those two when not in the tank, but that's only about 40% of the time if I recall correctly, and some of that 40% is unlikely to involve combat (e.g. negotiating with other people).

39 minutes ago, PigLickJF said:

I'm not sure what you have for feats, but if you're willing to tweak those as well, you could look into the Squadron Feats. You have to take Troop Commander first to open the others up, and it doesn't do a whole lot on its own (gives a +1 boost to morale bonuses you give out with Warleader) so it's a bit of investment, but there are a few nice ones in there.

I've used up all my feats so far, but I can consider this the next time we level up.

42 minutes ago, dalamb said:

Stuff like Swift Movement to increase the tanks speed, or Moving Target to make it harder to hit.  Doc has both.  Also, stuff like Sharp Turn to let the Driver turn during a Charge (which I'm considering).  Most anything you can do with the Run Package, you can do as the Driver (though, as Pax' post above notes, some stuff requires adjudication).  🙂

4 minutes ago, dalamb said:

With the Tank providing Advisory Scout and Find the Gap, is it appropriate to replace my own versions of these two Scout talents with others? We'd lose access to those two when not in the tank, but that's only about 40% of the time if I recall correctly, and some of that 40% is unlikely to involve combat (e.g. negotiating with other people).

Up to you.  Find Gap is always useful,  since it lowers the other guys AC.  Advisory Scout takes a Standard Action, and you'll probably want to save those for attacks when you're not in the tank.

IMO, keep the first, lose the second.  YMMV

2 hours ago, Arklytte said:

Thanks for the answers Pax.  Will respond in detail later, as I have a couple of follow ups which are too long to type on my phone.

Okay, so I went and made some revisions to the Driver actions after considering the vehicle rules a little more and balancing those with the tank as a creature and what a tank should be able to do. Go take a look at the Tank Rules thread and consider those to mostly supersede the answers I gave you above if they conflict. For the most part, the Tank moves like a creature (besides needing to account a little extra for which way it faces) and Combat Maneuvers more like a vehicle (it has no limbs for finesse stuff, but whenever it collides with something else, crushing and smashing ensues).

EDIT: Also given some of those changes I made, Smash might not be the best Brute talent to use, even if it apples Ram damage in the tank's case. V Overrun already basically does this, and V Bullrush can do it too if you beat by 5, so it's a little more redundant now and something else might be more effective.

Edited by Paxon (see edit history)

1 hour ago, dalamb said:

It's actually the other way around. I would say about 60% of your "combat turns" are likely to be taking PC actions rather than tank actions, is perhaps the most accurate way as to how I'm thinking of it. But it will really vary in terms of each character and the tactics each of you choose (and is really a very generally estimate anyway). I think what that means is I expect 30% of encounters to be really targeted at fighting in the tank, 30% to require getting out of the tank to take care of something completely on foot, and the remaining 40% to be more "flexible" - so for instance maybe a fight with raiders that are both on foot and mounted/vehicled where it makes sense for some of you to fight them off the top of the tank or flank them as a smaller unit while the others continue fighting from the tank. Mixed unit type stuff. In those, I don't yet know how each of you will decide to play it. Some will tend to keep operating the tank, others will tend to freelance a bit more. You may figure out ways to use the tank in encounters I expected you to do on foot, and vice-versa. 

The parts that don't involve combat, I'm not really accounting for in the above ratios. Those utilize a lot of non-combat skills by nature, and will usually be handled outside of the tank or in a way that is more independent of the tank mechanics (like you might be negotiating standing on top of the tank turret, but it won't utilize any tank mechanics, if that makes sense.) This is definitely going to be an action-oriented game, but I'll provide a lot of space for roleplay and quiet/non-violent moments as well.

I don't know if that helps your decisions:) But at least it should clarify expectations a bit, at least to my best ability to estimate.

9 hours ago, Paxon said:

Okay, so I went and made some revisions to the Driver actions after considering the vehicle rules a little more and balancing those with the tank as a creature and what a tank should be able to do. Go take a look at the Tank Rules thread and consider those to mostly supersede the answers I gave you above if they conflict. For the most part, the Tank moves like a creature (besides needing to account a little extra for which way it faces) and Combat Maneuvers more like a vehicle (it has no limbs for finesse stuff, but whenever it collides with something else, crushing and smashing ensues).

EDIT: Also given some of those changes I made, Smash might not be the best Brute talent to use, even if it apples Ram damage in the tank's case. V Overrun already basically does this, and V Bullrush can do it too if you beat by 5, so it's a little more redundant now and something else might be more effective.

Might I suggest Hammer?  This basically lets the tank Bull Rush critters/vehicles into other vehicles/critters/buildings/whatever, and the vehicle/critter being Bull Rushed takes extra damage from the impact, based on their size and how far they would have been pushed, had they not been slammed into another thing.  Basically, it's the old "We pinned him against the wall with the bumper...FLOOR IT!" trope.  🙂

And the damage is just that, extra damage, so it doesn't crit, doesn't count for Vital Strike, or anything else, it's just bonus damage based on pure kinetics.

If does cost Martial Focus, so it's not a total 'freebie'.  It can be taken a second time though, which removes the MF component, but that would be on the driver to take (and yes, I would totally take it if you chose this option), but that way, only someone skilled at driving her would have that bonus, not just anyone.  But they would still be able to slam stuff into other stuff, since that totally makes sense for a huge ass tank.  😄

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)