Rhortigern Vanhaldred, Variant Human, Fiendslayer, Mutant Blood Hunter

RedDingo

Rhortigern Vanhaldred

spacer.png

"Stuck in a rotten land with no escape, under the rule of a mad woman, and constantly beset by undead...I'm not doing this sober."

Name: Rhortigern Vanhaldred

Character Concept: Just a guy who fights monsters, tries to look good doing it, and picks up chicks...well he tries to at any rate.

Race, Background, Subclass Class: Variant Human, FiendslayerTo some, they are madmen. To others, they are courageous heroes. To the churches, they are heretics. Fiendslayers take up the cause of fighting the creatures of Dread. They tend to live short brutal lives that end in either death or becoming the very monsters they fight.

Skills: Choose two of Arcana, Investigation, Religion, or Survival

Tools: None

Languages: Choose two languages, one of which being an exotic language (Abyssal, Celestial, Deep Speech, Draconic, Infernal, Primordial, Sylvan, or Undercommon)

Starting Equipment: A monster hunter’s pack and one trinket of special significance (choose one or roll on the Gothic Trinkets table). Also gain a set of set of common clothes and 1sp.

Feature:
Inheritor
, Blood Hunter

Description: A pale lanky man dressed in weathered but functional clothing and armor. He always has glum smiled and sunken eyes. His gait is accompanied by the acrid scent of alchemy and blood.

spacer.png
Rhort when he is on the move

When he speaks, whatever aura of menace he first gives off completely evaporates! Rhortigern has a morbid and maudlin sense of humor. He will often spend his free time indulging in drink and pleasurable company...both of which usually cost him the majority of his earnings from fiendslaying.

Origin: Unknown, he hardly remembers his life before the Mists. Falkovnia is his homeland as far as he's concerned though he would jump at the opportunity to get the hell out.

Your Character’s Plothook: Claims to be searching for his vanished mentor "To kill the rotten bastard!"

Past is Prologue: From the Mists a child once appeared on the cobble streets, no more than nine years of age. The superstitious populace naturally shunned this newcomer. He was on the brink of dying from neglect had an old fiendslayer not found him.

spacer.png
Rhortigern as a child

The infamous Vackhem Vanhaldred took the young Rhortigern in and taught the boy everything he knew of the Realms. He also learned the Cursed Blood Arts, which the Faith declare a mortal sin for even knowing and the locals and nobles barely tolerated for their utility in combat against the creatures of Dread. It was a kind of power that drew from the life force of the wielder.

For nine long and brutal years, Rhort's upbringing could only be described as a slightly more productive form of torture. Vackhem would drill him for hours, curse the boy out for failure, and beat him for talking back. Seldom was the lad praised for a job well done.

In time, Rhort began to wonder if he was not saved out of pity but rather to be a target of the fiendslayer's unspoken frustrations. Eventually, he realized that there was sense of urgency in his tutelage. Every eve, the old man would watch the sunset in grim contemplation. Every morn, he woke to find Vackhem watching the sunrise like it was his teacher's last.

Had he not hated the bastard so much, Rhortigern might have asked what that was about. Instead, he bore a grudge against Vackhem in every scar and brand the latter inflicted upon him. At times, he wished he had starved to death in the gutter.

spacer.png
The Hunter's Bane Mark tattooed on Rhort's Chest

That's not to say his life was completely hell. Though most locals abhorred him for his association with a fiendslayer, there were those among the Talons, the whores, and the outcasts that were friendly with Vackhem and young Rhort in turn. One notable Maggiera was the closest to his teacher and often took care of him while the old man was away on a hunt or during the undead raids. Hell, there were even times when Vackhem threw kind word or two to him.

Of course, he learned well enough not to get too attached to anyone. Death was so common that bonds were more of a liability than an asset. Best way to cope was to drink, gamble, and bed with any willing partner of the night because it might always be his last.

Finally came the day when Vackhem walked out of the cabin with these parting words:

"I taught you everything you need to know to survive. Now, you just need to master them and you just might live something that could be called a life. I am taking my leave now. If we meet again, you'll probably have to kill me. Hopefully you hate me enough to do it!"

With that, the his mentor just abandoned him. At first, Rhort thought the old man had just abandoned him. However, he later learned the fiendslayer went vanished altogether. This was not uncommon in these lands. Between the creatures of Dread, evil cultists, and the regular undead incursions, missing persons were as normal rain. Yet a man as seasoned as Vackhem would never perish without a fight. The day he disappeared was one of those rare halcyon days.

Few people cared to learn what happened to the old fiendslayer and none knew what had actually happened to him. In the end, Rhortigern shrugged and took up his mentor's surname and occupation. What else could he do? His fate was sealed the moment the Mists took him. At least, this gave him a chance at survival.

Truths, Rumors, and Lies:

1. They say he managed kill a revenant using nothing more than a dagger while naked.
  2. He may have burnt down an entire orphanage with the orphans still in it.
  3. Rumor has it that he uses the blood of virgins to fuel his powers.

Muscic: We May Be Doomed. Yet We Shall Meet Our Fate With a Sword!

Deity: "WHAT ARE GODS? Eh?! I've asked plenty of holy men that and all I get is some-*hic*-some yarn about how the gods are mysterious or ineffable. I've heard stories about the most p-pious man in the who geeeeetss eaten by what used to be his wife and daughters'th. I don't know what the gods are *hic* but I'll tell you what they're not: They're not here in muck with uh-us! 'm apparently dam-NED just for having this mark on my chest, but its done more to keep me alive than any prayer for that man. So show me a god that doesn't sith on his asrse and maybe I'll consider making a prayer or two for...for....ughhhh"

Is Might Right? "I don't care. All it takes is one slip of the foot, one overlooked detail, one lucky hit, and even the strongest man in Falkovnia will end up a banquet for the things of Dread. I've seen it happen plenty of times."

Connections:

Rackhem Vanhaldred

Vackhem Vanhaldred

Vackhem Vanhaldred - The old fiendslayer that brought him up. Rhortigern has mixed feelings about his former mentor. On the one hand, he was a brutal figure who would initiate the lad in the techniques of blood arts in trial by fire. On the other hand, it was that training that has allowed Rhort to survive in Falkovnia for so long. On the other other hand, calling that a good thing is questionable at best.

The reputation of Vanhaldred's name has allowed Rhortigern to operate with some agency. As long as he participated in fighting off the horde, he can take contracts as he pleased. However, it is only a matter of time before he is pressed into regular service by the Talons.

The elder's parting words trouble him. Part of him hopes that it was just senility finally settling in. At his heart, however, Rhortigern knows that they pertain to whatever doom was troubling Vackhem. What he truly fears in their eventual reunion is learning that he too may share his mentor's fate.

Maggiera "Madcat Maggy" Gretchford - The Madam of the Nesting Respite, a bordello in Falkovnia. She was the closest thing to a mother that Rhortigern had growing up and probably the only reason he did not become a completely hateful bastard.

spacer.png
Maggiera Gretchford

Out of everyone, Maggiera probably knew Vackhem the best and Rhort suspected their relationship was much more than genial, though he never cared to learn more. Even after his old man's disappearance, she continues to support him by giving him a spare bed, boarding, and tips of potential jobs.

Rumor has it, she used to be a tramp called "Madcat Maggie".

Edited by RedDingo (see edit history)

Rhortigern Vanhaldred
"I assure you that monster will be dead by the end of the day or it's your money back."
View Character Sheet

spacer.png
Basic Information

Race: Variant Human | Sex: Male | Age: 24 | Height: 6' 2" | Weight: 170 lbs | Alignment: Chaotic-good | Background: Fiendslayer | Class: Blood Hunter1 | Subclass: (Order of the Mutant)

Personality

"I spend money freely and live life to the fullest, knowing that tomorrow I might die."

-=-=-=-=-=-

Knowing that he is likely going meet a fate worse than death, he decided enjoy life while he still could.

Ideals

"Diligence. I do my job thoroughly and well."

-=-=-=-=-=-

He believes in being competent.

Bonds

"If you have my back, I'll have yours."

-=-=-=-=-=-

He prefers to avoid close relationships, but he will always return a favor.

Flaws

"I have certain rituals that I must follow every day. I can never break them."

-=-=-=-=-=-

Part of his training involves shedding his own blood.

Proficiency Bonus: +2checked-shield.svg AC: 14health-normal.svg Max HP: 14 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30ftawareness.svg PP: 11 | sprint.svg Init: +3

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA
(0)
(+3)
(+2)
(+2)
(+1)
(-1)
+0 STR Save +5 DEX Save +2 CON Save +4 INT Save +1 WIS Save -8 CHA Save
+2 Athletics +3 Acrobatics
+3 Slght of Hand
+3 Stealth
  +4 Arcana
+4 History
+4 Investigation
+1 Nature
+4 Religion
+1 A. Handling
+1 Insight
+1 Medicine
+1 Perception
+1 Survival
-1 Deception
-1 Intimidation
-1 Performance
-1 Persuasion

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Character Sheet

Rhortigern Vanhaldred - Variant Human Blood Hunter

Str 10 (0) Dex 16 (+3) Con 14 (+2) Int 14 (+1) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 8 (-2)
HP 14/14 HD 1d10 AC 15 (studded leather) Speed 30 ft. Hemocraft Die 1d4

Passive Perception 11 Initiative +3
DM Inspiration Yes
Languages Common (Falkovnia), Balok, Elven, Abyssal
Background Fiendslayer Feature Inheritor

An ancestor or mentor's deeds earned them a place in legend. Now it's your turn. You are the clear inheritor of a famed legacy. You've inherited a token from your predecessor, something that marks you as their inheritor, such as a signet ring, signature piece of clothing, or notable weapon.

Additionally, any time you reveal your legacy, you swiftly learn the local opinion of your predecessor. If locals have never heard of your predecessor, nothing changes. If they have, rumors of your connection spread swiftly, and many locals consider you either a hero or a threat. Heroes are welcomed and might easily gain an audience with local leaders. Threats are encouraged to leave before they invite danger.

Rapier +5 to hit, 1d8+3 piercing damage

Hand Crossbow +5 to hit, Ammunition, range (30/120), light, loading, 1d6++

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Dexterity +5, Intelligence +4 
Skills Athletics +2, Arcana +4, Religion +4, Investigation +4, History +4,
* = Expertise

Tools Alchemist Supplies
Weapons Simple weapons, Martial Weapons
Armor Light, Medium, Shields

Tough Your hit point maximum increases by an amount equal to twice your level when you gain this feat. Whenever you gain a level thereafter, your hit point maximum increases by an additional 2 hit points.

Skills You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.

Feat You gain one Feat of your choice.

Hunter's Bane At 1st level, you have survived the Hunter’s Bane—a dangerous, long-guarded ritual that alters your life’s blood, forever binding you to the darkness and honing your senses against it. You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track fey, fiends, or undead, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about such creatures.

The Hunter’s Bane also empowers your body to control and shape hemocraft magic, using your own blood and life essence to fuel your abilities. Some of your features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature’s effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Hemocraft save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Hemocraft modifier (your choice between Intelligence and Wisdom)

Blood Maledict Also at 1st level, you gain the ability to channel—or sometimes sacrifice—a part of your vital essence to curse and manipulate creatures through hemocraft magic. You know one Blood Curse of your choice. You learn one additional blood curse of your choice at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. Each time you learn a new blood curse, you can also choose one of the blood curses you know and replace it with another blood curse.

Each time you use your Blood Maledict feature, you choose which curse to invoke from the curses you know. While invoking a blood curse, but before it affects the target, you can choose to amplify the curse by taking necrotic damage equal to one roll of your hemocraft die. This damage can’t be reduced in any way. An amplified curse gains an additional effect, noted in the curse’s description. Creatures that do not have blood are immune to blood curses unless you have amplified the curse.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. You can use Blood Maledict twice between rests starting at 6th level, three times starting at 13th level, and four times starting at 17th level.

Blood Curse of Binding As a bonus action, you attempt to bind a Large or smaller creature you can see within 30 feet of you, which must make a Strength saving throw. On a failure, the cursed creature’s speed is reduced to 0 and it can’t use reactions until the end of your next turn.

Amplify. This curse lasts for 1 minute and can affect any creature regardless of size. The cursed creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the curse on itself on a success.

Equipment

General Inventory (68.5 lbs.)

Rapier - 2 lbs.

Hand Crossbow- 3 lbs.
Case (20 bolts) - 1.5 lbs.

Studded Leather Armor - 13 lbs.

Monster Hunter's Pack - 49 lbs.

A chest

A crowbar

A hammer

Three wooden stakes

A holy symbol

A flask of holy water

A set of manacles

A steel mirror

A flask of oil

A tinderbox

3 torches.

A lock that opens when blood is dripped in its keyhole

Common Clothes - 3lbs

Coin Purse (0.02 lbs.)
Platinum: 0
Gold: 0
Electrum: 0
Silver: 1
Copper: 0

Encumbrance

Max Load: 150 lbs. (15 x STR)

Current Weight: 68.52 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

spacer.png Rhortigern Vanhaldred

Variant Human Fiendslayer, Mutant Blood Hunter

AC: 15 (Studded Leather) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+2+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 14
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Balok, Elvish, and Dwarven

“My words,” Rhort says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Rhort thinks. | My actions . . .

A tall figure passes through the threshold. His boots are caked mud and blood, yet he heeds not their trail. Instead, he gives a curt nod to Mortimer and marches down to the bar.

When he reaches it, the fiendslayer removes his mask and hat. His features are gaunt and lithe. In the right light, he might be close to handsome, yet his sallow expression eroded whatever charm that would avail him.

He looks the bugbear in the eye, "I've just trudged through several miles of misery, so if there isn't a comely willing bedwarmer here, there damn well better be a strong drink in this joint! And give me a bottle of it!"

Rising to the challenge, the bartender pours him a glass of the strongest whiskey in the house, which he gulps down without restraint. After what seems like a minute, he empties his glass and sighs in relief, his demeanor changes to one murky mirth. He throws off the long coat and laughs,

"Haha...that hits the spot after a day of killin'! Not bad - Kazz was it- not bad. Usually, these places serve piss disguised as liquor, heheh. The only thing that would make this better is a beautiful woman...or a man, I'm open minded. Speaking of which..."

He turns his attention to the crowd of patrons and eyes them up.

"None of you lot look like you're covered in dung. You must not be from around here. Welcome to Falkovnia, the Latrine of Hell. I am Rhortigern Vanhaldred, killer of the dead, bedder of the living, and imbiber of the fermented!"

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

I don’t always have OOC content to post, but if I did, it would go here, below the Movement, Action, Bonus Action, and Reaction (which will always be there). Those need to contain the mechanical explanation of your otherwise natural language post.

• 2 weeks later...

JFYI, I broke out the items you listed as in your chest to their own lines under that (on your sheet) so I could double check your encumbrance. By my count, Rhort is currently carrying 113.5 lbs, which would make him heavily encumbered. Dropping the chest or the Hunter's pack would drop you to only lightly encumbered, and dropping both makes you unencumbered.

You also don't have a default action defined.