Jade's Foundry

Jades

If you don't mind a touch of critique, you've made a character that is almost frighteningly fragile and whom it will be expensive to correct that with. If that's a play challenge you want to take on that's perfectly fine of course. However if you want to address that I'd suggest shuffling at least one of your favored abilities over to melee and dipping your toe into at least a defensive charm or two. That would also net you the excellency for Melee, letting you spike up your performance for when you need it. 

I only bring this up because as the builds have come in everyone else has done something comparable, and it's never fun realising you're at severe risk of losing a character in combat that everyone else is built to handle. That said, she's your character, feel free to make whatever choices you want!

@dunecat I went ahead and made Melee a favored ability, sacrificing Performance to cost more.  So while I won't be really all that good in combat, I can grow with greater ease.

Also did some numbermancy, changed Allies 3 for Retainer 4 so my retainer is weaker and added Riverspeak as a language.

Brought Awareness down to 1, moved that initial dot to Performance

Brought Bureaucracy down to 1, moved that dot to Performance.

Awareness 2 cost 2 Bonus Points

Bureaucracy 2 cost 2 Bonus Point

Performance 1 & 2 had cost 6 Bonus Points, so I freed up two for Merits.

I suppose if you need some very generic advice:

-3-6 combat charms is not a bad idea, its usually enough to get by, 3 combat charms if you just want enough basic to do stuff and 6 if you want a decent investment in it 

-Ox-Body is pretty much one of the best investment charm wise

-Spending the rest of charms into your Supernal (mostly a Solar Advice, Yeah usually mean Solar with a combat supernal ability will invest more into combat charms of course)

Not So Great an Entry into Great Forks

The contingency of soldiers set a camp outside of Great Forks, flying peace banners.

"Thorn, enough of this blubbering." Cathak Chimari chastised the Solar Exalt, "You have work to do now."

"Yes, Mist-"

The stern look from the Dragon-blooded sent a chill down the meek woman's back.  While she'd known Chimari her entire life, her family having long been in service to the Cathak Dynasty, and the two having played together as children it was still awkward to call her by her name. "Yes, Chimari."

A chest containing the company's treasury was brought out for the two Exalted to look over.  After taking a count and discussing their needs, it was time for Thorn from the Poisonous Vine to go to work.  Weeks ago, her name was Vine but after becoming Anathema she had to change it.  Drying her eyes the girl made her way into the city of Great Forks.  She slipped mentally into her old mode and was nearly dancing in the streets.  A smile, some words exchanged, as well as a not-insignificant amount of money, and an estate was purchased.  Quarters would be tight, until the contracts started coming in, but The First Bloom had a place to stay in the city.

Within the following two weeks, the mercenary company was working to protect merchants and the number of troops remaining in the estate was much smaller and much more manageable.  Thorn would have been happy to resume her role as Chimari's servant but the Dragon-blooded would not permit it.  To hear Chimari tell it, the two were joint commanders of The First Bloom.  When they weren't working on gaining contracts, they would be in the garden training.  It stressed Thorn greatly, she wasn't born for combat, but that didn't deter Chimari.

While some would say that her Exaltation was the beginning of Thorn's story, or perhaps when her dragon-blooded companion turned her back on The Scarlet Empire, or the founding of The First Bloom, really all of that was just a prelude.  The real story begins now, just two weeks after their arrival in Great Forks.

Edited by Jades (see edit history)

I got a little bored after work yesterday and tossed together Cathak Chimari as a build.  I don't know if they balanced the characters to meet the lore - how a starting Dragon-blooded stands against a Solar Exalt - so gave her fewer charms, so less supernatural ability.  Didn't give her any social merits either, 'cause I think its rot for a player to buy a retainer and then give the retainer Resources, Artifacts, Command, that sort of thing, as a means of getting "extra merits".

Instead, Thorn and her share Thorn's Command and Resources.  My plan is to use Chimari as a catalyst, and not as the active character in things.  She's basically in charge of the operations of the Command, serving as grounding for Thorn, and the inspiration to get involved in supernatural things.  "Oh, we need to get some Hearthstones.  Go do that, Thorn.  You need one and I need one."

Edit: @Chaos EmeraldAnything you'd like changed in narration or the above?

Edited by Jades (see edit history)

57 minutes ago, Jades said:

I got a little bored after work yesterday and tossed together Cathak Chimari as a build.  I don't know if they balanced the characters to meet the lore - how a starting Dragon-blooded stands against a Solar Exalt - so gave her fewer charms, so less supernatural ability.  Didn't give her any social merits either, 'cause I think its rot for a player to buy a retainer and then give the retainer Resources, Artifacts, Command, that sort of thing, as a means of getting "extra merits".

Instead, Thorn and her share Thorn's Command and Resources.  My plan is to use Chimari as a catalyst, and not as the active character in things.  She's basically in charge of the operations of the Command, serving as grounding for Thorn, and the inspiration to get involved in supernatural things.  "Oh, we need to get some Hearthstones.  Go do that, Thorn.  You need one and I need one."

Edit: @Chaos EmeraldAnything you'd like changed in narration or the above?

I'll take the build into consideration when I make a QC of her later, yeah figured you wanted Chimari to be the person helping with the mercenary company.

So changes in, Narration not really anything too major:

-Great Forks has a lot of visitors including mercenaries it's pretty much very cosmopolitan, combined with lot of spirits (Gods, Elementals, and others, even Ghosts) living there, there are hundreds of Gods, and temples, godlings, parades and worship of said Gods just to paint a clearer picture of what's going on, God-blooded also walk around. There is even an Immaculate Faith presence in Great Forks some being from different sects, except the Prasadi Pure Way is not present. Something worth considering on how Thorns could be shocked of so many gods being worshipped so openly and the Immaculates in Great Forks pretty much just staying in their corner. There are also people who comes to compete for Exigence from the Gods, so essentially imagine people trying to become champions of the Gods and become Exalted too. It's a fairly big cultural shock, so something to consider more on what Thorns would think of this (of course can be explored in Game too).

-The company for now would be considered visitors for now, but possibly could upgrade to citizens later on. One of the conditions of becoming a citizen of Great Forks is buying properties, will address other conditions in game but involve a census and other stuff. Your mercenary company would most likely deal with The Commission of Distinguished Guests (they regulate Immigration, visitors, foreign trade etc...). It's not a major change but just saying something that the city deal with on a regular basis.

Edited by Chaos Emerald (see edit history)

Quick Character works great!  And I'll fill in some of the wonder and fear.  

Personal goal is to find a Demense and build a temple/fortification thing to move the company to so I don't know how citizenship would factor in that.  In any case, total n00b with the lore.  lol