Overlap in Mechanics and Lore, and overlap in character histories

Jades

I figure its probably best to just start a new thread so everyone knows to look at it.

I don't really have any plans for Thorn's advancement and growth.  I don't know Exalted that well, so I made a character who is intentionally in a delicate position.  She doesn't know what she's supposed to do.  Really, it is only Cathak Chimari that has kept her from crawling off somewhere to die.  I'll lean in any direction to make things work.  I built her to be an assistant, and then switched the roles.  She's now the stronger of the two.  I was really considering buying Chimari as a Retainer for that purpose.

Honestly, I'd be fine building Thorn as a human character and then letting CE pick Exalt type.  It'd actually be pretty fun, though I don't have most of the books.

I think, as far as background ties, I can't really imagine there being positive connections between Thorn and other Celestial Exalts.  She was the servant of an Anathema hunter, after all.

I just showed up, but am very happy to coordinate ties in character history with anyone who wants then. Trespass was active in the Scavenger Lands as a mortal, and if his specific providence as an Exalt isn't widely known nonetheless a new Exigent appearing would still make waves in Great Forks. He might

- Have helped find something important to a character. An Artifact? A mundane treasure? Old lore? 

- Have offered sanctuary or assistance in Great Forks.

- Have needed sanctuary or assistance on the road there.

- Have helped steal something, or steal it back.

He could for example have touched on Thorns' circle of known entities through his very brief time as part of a Wyld Hunt; perhaps her mentor was part of it as well, or had some relationship to it.

As far as character ties, it looks like y'all have several partial combatants, several scholars, and everybody's a sorcerer. Always happy to jump on the sorcerer train (and I wanna do lair stuff, and workings are very good for that) which is one more Means for everyone, and I have an interest in doing some thieving and B&E which might help acquire things of interest to the scholarly folk. As far as combat I'm comfortable doing heavy lifting there and maybe leaning a little into guardian stuff for those who would prefer to limit their own degree of engagement with violence.

So after thinking about it a little... I think I'm going to make the one Solar type I haven't ever made before and go full on Dawn combat monster. 

Does anyone know if there's rules for Gunshoza armor out yet? Asking for a friend.

I am still going to dip my toe in sorcery since I just like the notion of the entire group being sorcerers right off the bat. It'll probably take a little bit for me to pull the actual character together, especially given the way I'm planning to troll through multiple abilities for useful combat charms that aren't necessarily in the core combat skills.

17 minutes ago, dunecat said:

Does anyone know if there's rules for Gunshoza armor out yet? Asking for a friend.

Yes, they're in Heirs of the Shogunate. They are basically normal artifact armor but they all have some common Evocations (representing systems) and many of their evocations have a "pay in motes or in Initiative" schema; like all artifacts they cannot be mass-produced and each suit is unique with unique Evocations (beyond the common ones) and its own story. There is a single example suit which I think is called Seralwi, the Beating Heart of the Earth or something along those lines.

Not an issue, as the book mentions while most Gunzosha are in Lookshy and made of jade, there are Gunzosha for all the magical materials and they all have unique evocations. Just something to consider before buying one they are First Age artifacts, so maintenance/repair are somewhat more difficult if you aren't actually prepared to do that or have circle-mate helping/focusing on crafting for the repairs/maintenance. 

Edited by Chaos Emerald (see edit history)

Current running concept is a former Gunshoza pilot who, after his 10 years of service was up, couldn't give them up so he moved on to becoming a technician apprentice. So some sorcery/craft/lore is baked into the concept.. along with probably being chased by Lookshy for making off with a highly important suit of Gunshoza armor. 

I may alternatively opt to find one post exaltation instead.. it's less interesting but also less likely to end in a party wipe at the hands of an angry Lookshy Wyld Hunt.. 

Wyld Hunts happen but its very complicated in 3rd edition. All Wyld Hunts are unique and Lookshyan Wyld Hunts while they can intervene in many places in the Scavenger Lands, for big cities like Great Forks or Nexus requires a lot of political arrangements. In General 3e stance on Wyld Hunts is that they are mostly a traditions for all DBs but organizing and declaring Wyld Hunts are pretty much all unique and relatively long process. Lookshy for example, only accept volunteers for Wyld Hunts. 

Edited by Chaos Emerald (see edit history)

Amazing how I'll just so happen to end up in Great Forks then.. 😄 

That's good to know. I'll stick with the snaging it on the way out story then. Off to do some building then! ..maybe after I sleep a bit first though.

1 minute ago, dunecat said:

While I'm thinking about this.. How do you want to handle the multitude of craft skills? Book standard or one of the many attempts at patching the craft system?

Book standard but as I noted, there is a craft errata for some charms in Arms of the Chosen to reflect the artifact system/guidelines. Solar have a lot of craft charms but that's mostly just them really, usually less crafting charms in the other celestial exalted (Lunars and Exigents like Strawmaiden making it more friendly). 

@Jades well can help with that, if you really want to do the let me pick Exalted Types and the likes. 

Meeting Cathak Chimari and getting reassurance that becoming a anathema does not make one instantly evil would probably go a long way for Habiki's mental health. A famed anathema hunter would be a more reliable source than her twin sister. Would that be a reasonable connection for Habiki and Thorn @Jades?

Anyone with a reason to be in Lookshy, Nexus, or at the connection between the Yellow river and the Rolling river, I am looking to team up. Andorion is traveling with a Tidemare elemental and is leading a built, sturdy ship down the river going east with about 300 refugees. He is a sorcerer priest-king. I would like to share backgrounds.

So I think a connection would be cool; Red Monkey has the resources to buy a ship, but he's not a sailor at all.  Maybe he bought a ship to get out of the Realm (he had chosen Great Forks as a destination specifically because it's tolerant of Anathema and far from the Realm).  And when he went to crew his ship he found a bunch of refugees that would work for cheap, and maybe a captain if someone is taking a bit of Sailing.  (connecting someone else if they want)

We had a nice journey upriver and when we got to Great Forks he sold the ship, so here we are!

🙂

Edited by PlotDevice (see edit history)