TheDude2371

This is a variation on the Moscow Mule that I came up with one summer, and after... several rounds of experimentation, this is the formula that I think works the best.

Hardware
  • Double-sided bar measure
  • Drinking vessel of at least 10 oz capacity
  • Bar shaker (optional)
Software
  • 1 large + 1 small measure vodka -- see notes
  • 1 small measure lime juice
  • 1 small measure blood orange juice (can be upgraded to large measure)
  • Ice
  • Ginger beer -- see notes
Assembly
  • Fill drink vessel about 2/3 full of ice cubes
  • If you are using the bar shaker, add 5-6 cubes to shaker
  • Add vodka and fruit juices to shaker or vessel
    • If the shaker is being used, shake well until chilled and mixed, then pour over ice in vessel
    • If going straight to the vessel, stir until mixed and chilled
  • Top off with ginger beer

Ingredient notes
  • Vodka - Best option is to use a blood orange vodka here. Skyy makes a good one. If that's not available, you can use an orange vodka. Plain vodka will work in a pinch.
  • Ginger beer - Again, blood orange ginger beer is the best option. Yes, it exists -- my personal favorite is Powell & Mahoney which should be available at any Total Wine outlet. Fever Tree apparently makes one as well, though I have yet to locate and sample. I'm sure there are others out there. Of course, regular ginger beer can be used, as you'll have the blood orange juice in the cocktail.
    • If you plan to use regular ginger beer, make it a good one. Gosling's would be my choice, since Stewart's hasn't made theirs in ages, which is a shame.
    • If you really want to jazz things up, use an alcoholic ginger beer, such as Crabbie's. Granted, they don't make their orange flavor brew any longer, but the regular one will do just as well.
  • Blood orange juice - This is a necessity. You can't make this drink without it. There are places to find it. Whole Foods had it when I last went looking for it. The only other option would be to get some fresh blood oranges and start squeezing.
  • Drinking vessel - As with any Mule, a copper-clad mug is traditional. These days, all copper mugs have food-grade stainless steel interiors, as the acid from the beverage would leech copper from a pure copper mug, and that, if I recall, was not good for you in the long run. However, you can feel free to use a highball or cocktail glass as you like.

Drink up and enjoy!

Edited by TheDude2371 (see edit history)