Edit History

Bananaphone

Bananaphone

Perhaps for future reference, perhaps if we're subjected to social skills, make a suggestion to us as players what our character would be feeling. You know, like if we were around a table and the GM has the NPC start talking to a player, giving him his speech, the GM makes a roll behind the screen (obviously a skill check), 'Out of character, your character is finding what he's saying to be very persuasive; maybe it's the way he's selling it, maybe it's a point you haven't thought of before etc, which-ever it is, your character is feeling more inclined to their position.'

This way there is still player agency (the player gets to decide how their char arrives to that feeling), but Interaction skills matter. And honestly, both are fine with me, particularly the latter. It makes skilled NPC's more of a threat if they can charm/intimidate/deceive you instead of just punching you. It also bulwarks against the Player inclination of not believing anyone, not being scared of anyone and finding nothing persuasive except the words of their fellow players. That powerless, but highly persuasive CEO is no longer a non-threat because if you let him speak you might be vulnerable to his practiced manipulations. Just take a look at how a pudgy, powerless, middle aged man called Edgar intimidated and ran rings around Homelander, a sociopathic version of Superman who has had no qualms about killing people for just annoying him, as an example. (from The Boys)

That's just my 2 cents.

Bananaphone

Bananaphone

Perhaps for future reference, perhaps if we're subjected to social skills, make a suggestion to us as players what our character would be feeling. You know, like if we were around a table and the GM has the NPC start talking to a player, giving him his speech, the GM makes a roll behind the screen (obviously a skill check), 'Out of character, your character is finding what he's saying to be very persuasive; maybe it's the way he's selling it, maybe it's a point you haven't thought of before etc, which-ever it is, your character is feeling more inclined to their position.'

This way there is still player agency (the player gets to decide how their char arrives to that feeling), but Interaction skills matter. And honestly, both are fine with me, particularly the latter. It makes skilled NPC's more of a threat if they can charm/intimidate/deceive you instead of just punching you. It also bulwarks against the Player inclination of not believing anyone, not being scared of anyone and finding nothing persuasive except the words of their fellow players. That powerless, but highly persuasive CEO is no longer a non-threat because if you let him speak you might be vulnerable to his practiced manipulations.

That's just my 2 cents.

Bananaphone

Bananaphone

This way there is still player agency (the player gets to decide how their char arrives to that feeling), but Interaction skills matter. And honestly, both are fine with me, particularly the latter. It makes skilled NPC's more of a threat if they can charm/intimidate/deceive you instead of just punching you. 

That's just my 2 cents.