Chapter 1: A Grey Beginning (Group 2)

Anthr4xus

Moments after Tysh's prayer ends, with the ongoing rumble of thunder and flash of lightning overhead and torrential downpour, all of those in the party that had been impacted by Oma's charm felt the same cold realization wash over them as the last of the enchantment washes away. Your minds are as clear as the skies are not and in the darkness of the storm you each come the realization that the kindly old weird woman had used some form of musical witchery to assure that you were as kind and welcoming as she herself seemed to be.

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Encumbrance: 70.5 lbs (60lbs/120lbs/180lbs)

The funeral rite completed, Tysh places a hand on the loose earth and sends one last small prayer up to Selûne. Realization washes over her immediately after she pulls her hand back: Oma had charmed them! She looks up at Haakan, eyes wide.

"Please tell me you also are aware that we were charmed. Am I imagining it?"

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

AC: 11 (Unarmored) | HP: 8/8 | Speed: 20 ft. (Encumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 14
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions . . .

“I... Uh... Indeed. You are not imagining it. Our bone-kneading host might have pulled the wool over our eyes.” Haakon's gaze darts towards Ardir and Scarby, scanning their faces on how they take this complication. Scarby had been lashing out of the old woman from the start. He might urge us to act on his fears. Ardir, on the other hand, is galvanized to visit this place north. This could have been the pebble that broke his ankle. This could have stopped him from finding closure. What will they do?

“A cruel trick, to be sure, but the fact remains that we came out of that experience with our bodies and wits intact,” Haakon rouses from his kneeling position. “We should ford forward, create as much space between us and that den of depravity. The sooner we find succor from this ceaseless tempest, the sooner I'll feel comfortable about the sporadic weirdness past the place we awoke from.”

“We can talk of comeuppance and retribution some other time.”

OOC

Movement: —

Action:

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

Spellbook

Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

As Tysh listens to Haakon's response, a chill slowly rolls down her spine.

"I'm inclined to agree with you. She was able to charm so many of us...who knows what she's capable of," she whispers to him. "If the others are coming to the same realization we are, we could have a tough situation on our hands. I think we'll have some people who will want to seek vengeance and others who will want to leave. Regardless of the weather, I think we need to urge them to go. We can come back to deal with this when cooler heads prevail."

She turns to the group. "Let's do as Ardir suggested and get going. Find somewhere safe to shelter from the storm."

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

Ardir Hálilúëa

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10

The memory of a kindly smile and safe home turned into a cruel jest, and Ardir has a moment of wondering where the keening wail of pain and rage was coming from, before recognizing his own voice.

He turns, noticing the trunk of a nearby tree broken and caved in by his maul. His muscles spasm, body and face, as he fights back his berserk rage.

For a moment, his pupils become his whole eye, two pools of ashen coal beneath the lightning-rent sky. But the moment passes, and as his body relaxes, his eyes return, and Ardir growls, "That black-hearted wretch! Yes, retribution later, though it pains me to say it... we might again become her affable dolls as matters stand."

His face grimly set, he nods to Tysh and the ragged man. "Onward."

Tysh watches Ardir's reaction, stunned, a mixture of horror, surprise, and fascination clearly written on her face. She was too far away to see his eyes change, but distance and rain didn't obscure the man's powerful strike to the tree and his struggle to regain control.

His words from earlier echo in her mind: "But if I find my beloveds shambling among the dead... I don't know if I'll fly into a rage..."

'Well,' she thinks, 'it's good to know what I might be dealing with.'

Tysh motions to the wizard to follow her. She walks over to Ardir and stops beside him. Her demeanor is calm, unfazed. She looks over at Kain, Scarby, Raven, and Harin.

"What about you all? Are you coming along with us?" she calls to them.

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft. (unencumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

Seeing his companions have come to the realization that Oma deceived them, yet turn to leave, something snaps inside him and Harin is incredulous. He gestures wildly in silence, keeping the noise of his fit down, yet it is a display of emotion his companions were heretofore unfamiliar with, given his usual calm demeanor. After a few moments of effort, he gets ahold of himself enough to go to those of his companions who seem set to leave the witch unpunished, "You can't mean to allow her rein to cause further terror in these woods? You would turn your back on evil and let it flourish here? Would you do the same if she stalked the wood near your homes? Look there," he points to the place where Tysh laid the unknown elf's remains to rest, only managing to keep his voice low enough to not be heard by Oma with some effort, "Would you come back here again and again to lay more unfortunate passers-by to rest? To give back some semblance of dignity after that monster has robbed more innocents of it? Robbed them of their very lives? Or for their final dignity to be only worthy of that refuse heap? What are we here in these evil lands for if we only let that evil do as it pleases? When we can purge the land of it right here and now!" His eyes, wide, snap back and forth between each of his companions' faces.

OOC

Action: —

With high enough Insight:

You get the sense that Harin is worked up enough that he could potentially do something rash, even without help.

Tysh expected the party to unravel somewhat with the realization of Oma's trickery, but she didn't expect such a direct confrontation from the normally even-keeled Harin. For a moment, she seems taken aback by the accusation that she would essentially condone the senseless slaughter of innocents by continuing to lay Oma's victims to rest instead of taking action now. She takes a deep breath and steadies her nerves. Reacting to Harin would only escalate the situation. No, she has to try to calm him down and reason with him.

"I'm not disagreeing with you, Harin. She is dangerous and clearly committing some unspeakable horrors," she says placatingly. "But think for a moment: she managed to put so many of us under her enchantment with a mere song."

She takes a step closer to him, gauging his reaction and demeanor. Softer, she says, "We don't know what she's capable of, nor do we know if we can all take her on as we are. We may find ourselves among the midden if we act rashly. I know you're shaken - I am too - but we cannot seek vengeance at the cost of our lives. We will return. We will seek justice. But we can do it the right way when we're properly prepared."

She hopes her words will sway Harin, but she has her doubts. She can see he's very worked up and not thinking clearly.

OOC

Movement: 

Action: Insight check on Harin.

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

Edited by jrsey
Adding reaction from Insight check. (see edit history)
Name
Insight check on Harin
1d20+5 12

Thunder rumbled overhead and lightning crackled across the face of the clouds. Rain pounded down through the branches overhead. Tysh could read the need to move, to do something, however rash it may be, in all of Harin's motions and how he held himself in the gloaming wet dimness of the deep woods and undergrowth.

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

Ardir Hálilúëa

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10

Harin's words and Tysh's caution war in Ardir's heart. Then, a hungry smile spreads across his features"Yes... her song. We can avoid it."

Lightning strikes, and the haggard elf's face is alight with a vicious joy. He reaches down and scoops his hand into the wetted earth beneath, kneading himself a ball of mud, and then plugging his right ear. "We make ourselves deaf, plug up our ears with mud now, and set upon her. By the time she realizes her song has no effect, our blade and arms will make a ruin of her. Who's with me?"

Ardir casts an expectant gaze across his companions, ready to plug his other ear with mud.

Seeing that she can't talk Harin down from his excited state and that Ardir has changed his mind, Tysh reluctantly scoops up some mud and plugs her ears. Next, she equips her shield and warhammer. Her grip on the warhammer's handle is tight. Tight enough, she hopes, to keep hold of it despite the pouring rain.

"I want it on the record that I don't think this is a good idea," she says tersely. "But I'm ready. Just be careful. We don't know what she's capable of. If it gets bad, we flee."

She looks at Ardir expectantly. The moment he moves, she will follow.

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

The rain continues to pound down, with so much moisture in the air that a fog began to rise. As Tysh, Harin, Ardir, Scarby and Kain look around at each other there is a sudden realization that Raven had quietly vanished from the area, only a quickly dispersing collection of Mist where she last was.

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

AC: 11 (Unarmored) | HP: 8/8 | Speed: 20 ft. (Encumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 14
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions . . .

At the wake of Ardir's violent outburst, Haakon can't help but be jealous of his energy. Haakon is reminded that he lacks the impetus, the urge, to make waves and effect change. His stare lingers at the smashed tree.

Haakon tries to argue for leaving. “We are lost and far from home, far away from the rest of humanity. Innocent bystanders are few and far between. The matter of the parade of corpses is more pressing than a chance encounter with a trickster who deals with the nostalgia of hearth and home.”

But ultimately, he is outnumbered. His shoulders drop and his hands unclench. While he struggles to find the filter to find meaning and better himself in this scenario, he relents.

‘Why is this place so fixated to finality? We were already out. We got out relatively scot free. Why couldn't this wait?’

Blissfully unaware of Raven's disappearance, Haakon wills earth to squish and set up between his palms, producing a handful of earplugs from the soaked dirt. He also offers to brush up the exterior of the other's ears, to help maintain the ruse.

OOC

Action: Casting Mold EarthMold Earth
Transmutation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous or 1 hour (see below)

You choose a portion of dirt or stone that you can see within range and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You manipulate it in one of the following ways:

• If you target an area of loose earth, you can instantaneously excavate it, move it along the ground, and deposit it up to 5 feet away. This movement doesn't involve enough force to cause damage.
• You cause shapes, colors, or both to appear on the dirt or stone, spelling out words, creating images, or shaping patterns. The changes last for 1 hour.
• If the dirt or stone you target is on the ground, you cause it to become difficult terrain. Alternatively, you can cause the ground to become normal terrain if it is already difficult terrain. This change lasts for 1 hour.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have no more than two of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Spellbook

Tysh frowns at Haakon and hopes she conveys a sense of sympathy to him. She feels the same way, but popular opinion has swayed and the Mist has taken a companion.

"Raven just disappeared in the Mist! We can talk about this later, but right now we need to make a decision."

She looks to Ardir, eyes questioning but her jaw set.

"I'll follow you, whatever you choose."

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft. (unencumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

Harin eagerly stuffs his ears with mud and draws his weapon. His face is dead serious as he looks to make sure the others are ready to follow suit.

OOC

Action: —