The Witch of the Withered Grove (Act I, Scene I)

DoNotFearToTread

The Trouble With Towers

Ilyra's response to Neve's suggestion is an immediate and aggressive shaking of her head as she grabs onto Broderick's sleeve and begins to throw signs at him, her fingers moving furiously. He holds up his own hands in resigned response before taking her hands in his and looking back to you. The girl's face is etched with panic as he releases her hands and turns back to you all.

"My sister is concerned for your safety. She claims to feel things from the basement. Strange rumblings and dark sensations." He also seems to steady his words despite the statement that follows. "I have not experienced them, but she is more attuned to things like that." Maybe it is a general fear at their situation, but the boy definitely wrings his hands as his eyes shift toward the stairs that lead up to the next level. He is no less fearful of what the basement might hold than Ilyra and his efforts to maintain a brave face are likely for her benefit. "If you wish to check it, the door in the library with the etchings will lead you there." After a moment's pause, and a poke to the ribs from Ilyra, he adds. "We wouldn't want you to endanger yourselves but you all seemed to handle the lizardfolk okay." As the Sister brings up the box, the twin of which you've seen in the Oracle's own chamber, Broderick nods his understanding.

"The Witch has strange things in her chamber. Given the situation you might check there for this box." As he says it, his sister gives a snap nod of agreement and points up the stairs to the next level. She holds up two fingers to indicate, most likely, two ascents to reach the room in question. That would make three full floors, with this balcony between the first and second. Add in a basement and you've got a decent amount of space for living, but if two floors above is the Witch's chambers would that make the next floor up the library? The Oracle indicated you would find what you need there, and there seems to be nobody to stand in the way of your research.

OOC

The Tower is yours to explore. The children will not bar your efforts.

Wicke

spacer.pngspacer.png
Human Rogue/Cleric — Holy Fool of Albarax

AC 14 | HP 14/14 | Encumbrance 15/15 | Initiative +1 | Turn Undead +1
Spells 0 ●●● | 1 ●●

He doesn't miss the looks back to him over the girl's shoulder while she works, but that is all he is willing to give them: his notice. He listens to his companions, nodding along: the box will be quite useful at speeding up communications, and they will very much need to be sped up. "The box seems the first order of business to me: to get word to the Oracle of our progress. But I agree, the basement—" He stops at Ilyra's rapid, panicked hand movements, studying them intently but unable to decipher anything but panic. Her brother speaks, and he listens. Wicke nods.

"Indeed, I think we can handle ourselves, but we'll proceed with caution and careful notice. Are there any natural defenses outside of the basement we should be wary of? Beyond that, let's find that box."

Out of Character

I'll add rolls as needed, likely for traps, moving silently, and picking locks.

Neve

Neve Nevergreen - Smallfolk Rogue

"If we're to be poking about her private chambers, I may well take to that basin for a spell - " Neve scratched at the tip of her nose with a mud caked finger.  It wasn't a lie, exactly, but that it would give her a few moments alone to possibly riffle through the library in search of tomes by one  Adritian Husk . . .

Her finger stilled and she sighed.  No, that wasn't the way here.  The good Sister had need of a tome herself - the tales of Regalis Thrice-Mourned or somesuch?  And the thiefpriest needed the orders of Yar'a On . . . on Yar'a something, and foxgirl some journal by Durka.  Durka Lorax?  To try a Takers trick here would jeaopordize the other's Oracle commanded quests.

And even if she didn't care about the crew - not that she actually didn't but if she didn't.  Hypotheticals, even the selfish ones, were important - one didn't meddle with wisewomen, witches or litches.

So how to go about it, then?  Demanding seemed . . . rude and violated a half dozen laws of hospitality that she knew, even though the childer had technically waived them.

Sighing, the Taker leaned forward and extended a hand, forgoing her station and instead falling to her birthright and that of all the halfling carvans.  Like her onetime merchant of a mother she offed a trade instead.

"I understand your fear.  And I don't doubt what you sense, Ilyra.  But sometimes the fear of a thing can't stand in the path of the needfulness of it."  She makes sure to address them both, evenly, calmly.  No pretense, nor the braggadocio of swaggering advice.  Just facts, borne of pain and sure as bone.

"The wards, the dweomers of the Tower are growing weaker; the magic is guttering out like a candle flame drawing the last bit of wax before the wick's gone altogether.  And that magic here isn't just the tower - " she points, indicating Ilyra and Broderick both.  " - it's you.  You're tired to the magic of this place and what affects the one stirs the other."

"We'll send for aid, once we've found the box but if our meddling for good intentions fails to sit well even though it's clear it's needful, might your nerves sit better if you hired us?" she lets the suggestion sit for a breath, taking the air and aging from wild fancy into something approaching an idea.

"The Oracle pointed us here in part for your Mistress's Library, but I've  . . . " Never paused, choosing her words carefully.  " - explored enough altiers of those who persue the craft to know that trying to find a single text is like trying to find a needle in a briar-patch.  But as her 'prentices I imagine you know her catalog near as well as she herself, yes?"

"So I propose this - set your fears aside by trusting in our avarice and your quell your concern by formal commission.  We'll give you the name of the tomes we require and will investigate the basement as payment.  Set terms if you like - if you'd not see our heartsblood spilled pen a clause that demands our retreat on first injury, etc. - so as to better ease your mind.  And then we are not naive heroes trading on sentiment but rather professionals, as much after our own skins as anything else.  If you don't trust in our skill, trust in our selfishness to see our needs met."

"To put it another way, if we make this a bargain you don't need to worry your heads about us being well meaning but ill-advised meddlers.  Rather, we'd be assholes charging you for a service and assholes are right hard to kill." she smiled at that, the sort of shit eating, cocky grin that underscored the self-professed appellation.  

"Now, I'll pass along the titles if we're agreed, until then I think there's a bath I need to prepare . . ."

Out of Character

Figured it was as good a way as any to put the desired texts on the table, as it were. So, actions: Neve is going to actually clean up so she won't be tracking mud through the entire tower and once that's done will join the search for the box.

Sister Clairese, Church Investigator & Priestess of Niro and Ivana

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC = 18, Touch = 12, FF = 16 / HP = 21/23 / Init = +1 / Turn Undead = +2   ______________________________________________________________________

Sister Clairese listens to Neve's discussion of the problems with the Tower's magic, as well as its unusual ties to the children as she mentally contemplates what that actually means and wonders if they are connected by choice or by force.

When Edgewick indicates that finding the communication box and sending a message to the Oracle a high priority, Sister Clairese nods her head in the affirmative and says, "Yes, we should get a message sent to the Oracle as soon as we can. After all, she told us it takes a day for a reply."

Then after Neve proposes a trade that the party will attempt to check out the basement in exchange for the twins locating a several texts which the Oracle indicated each member of the group must read in connection with their long-term goals and desires, the holy woman clarifies one point, "Remember, we are offering to try and investigate the basement."

"There is no guarantee, other than we will use our best efforts to complete the task, after all it wouldn't let you get near the basement so at this point we don't even know if we can approach it either," she adds logically with a sincere smile.

"Assuming we can get in, there is also no guarantee what we can accomplish since we have absolutely no idea what we are getting into, what we might face, and what choices will have to be made. Just so long as that part is clear," she adds in order to make a full and fair disclosure to the twins and says no more about the matter allowing them to make their own decision on the matter.

Then addressing the other parts of the strategy, the priestess says, "We should investigate the Tower today, send the message to the Oracle, and possibly even peek into the basement area. However, before we delve into the basement, I really need a good night's rest and to pray at dawn to renew my powers."

Show Mechanics

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Continuing Effects:  None

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

spacer.png
spacer.png
Sylvan Elf - Primal Druid / Barbarian
Enhanced Senses | Twilight Vision | Spot Hidden Doors
AC: 17 | HP: 16 / 24 | Enc.: 22.5 / 25.5

Leaning on the table with her elbows, Valfaren looked a bit oafish. She was caked in varying degrees of drying mud, ragged furs and feathers, hair a graceful mess across her face. The druid put no effort into her appearance or personality beyond using them for combat effectiveness. This also meant Sylvan Elves were significantly more like Orks than they'd like to admit. Both were born of earth and wood, but one of malign intent where the other was benign.

The barbarian poured over her spoils, allowing Neve and the Sister take over the conversation. She was happy for it; words always complicated things. Val put more faith and value in progress via action. I'll just follow along with whatever they're saying at the end. Agree and blend in, she thought. The Elf was far more concerned with her new toys, starting with the carved stick.

Turning and twisting the thing over and over, Val found her eyes drawn to the vine imagery. "Shaman... swamp... vines... I bet this'ah wand of vine-summoning-stuff," she said to herself, tossing it back down. Next was the dagger. This kept her attention much more as she apparently didn't have a small blade. She rolled it around no the table, spinning it in her fingers as she tried to find its balance.

"Basement, that's right," she interrupted, nodding along as if she'd been listening the whole time. Val really thought herself clever. "I wasn't warmed up for the fight with the lizard. Now that I'm ready to go for the day, we can take it." Val then registered what Clairese was asking for. The Elf clicked her lips and made a disappointed noise. "Really?" she asked, mixing it with a deep sigh. "Lame," she added, relenting to the request. "I want some pay-back!" she continued, smacking her fist into the opposite palm.

• 2 weeks later...
Lay of the Landing

The children listen, and share a nod as Neve presents the proposal. It is a smart play that leverages each group's strengths toward a common goal.

"We will find your books. There is a tub on the top floor, and that's also the lady's chamber so you should probably start there." Broderick takes down the names of the books you need as you provide them, then hands the list to Ilyra who scampers, quite literally, up the stairs to the next level. The boy returns to the kitchen area and can be heard moving pots about in some effort of his own. Exploring the tower seems like a simple enough task so the group sets out to do just that.

The stairs open up to the floor above, and that floor is lined floor-to-ceiling in shelves practically bursting with bound texts. At first, the sight is overwhelming and not least of which because the books seem to be leaping from shelf to shelf, flying across the room to rehouse themselves in a manner that can only seem to be random. Holding the seeing stone, however, reveals the trick of it as the moving books are entirely illusory and the room is actually quite calm once the spell is broken. Lounges and chairs are distributed across the floor, end tables set nearby to provide surface area. It is a fine place for study or leisure from the look of things. Ilyra busies herself in the far end of the room, leafing through covers with an intense devotion to the task. There is a door on the right with faded etchings, no doubt the basement you were warned of, and another set of stairs opposite the ones you ascended. Taking those leads you to the Witch's own chambers.

It is the only area of the tower so far that seems designed for opulence. A round bed in the center, large enough for three or four, with satiny drapes around the edge. A small shelf of books, likely a personal collection, on one wall and a fancy dressing table near that. Clothing hung from a bar near the back, dresses and blouses of all shades and cuts. A dressing screen dominates the left wall and behind it, a deep and welcoming bathing tub with an odd apparatus of pipes that makes it seem capable of self-filling. A couple of large chests sit open nearby, the gleam of jewelry draping over the sides catches the light of the room's solitary, but powerful, lantern.

And a desk, aged but well-maintained, upon which sits a gilded red box that is the very mirror of the one shown to you by the Oracle. Opening that reveals near a dozen letters, all in the same hand, inquiring with increasing anxiety as to the receiver's well-being. This must surely be what you were sent for, and now that you've found it there are many unanswered questions remaining about its owner. Rest and respite are easily at hand, and each of you can take time to recover as you wish to. The basement door beckons at the back of your mind, and when you do find both the time and the will to explore it you find it wholly unlike the rest of the tower.

The stairs that descend are a disorientingly twisty thing that seem not to curve around the way the should, but rather zig-zag down. As with much about the place, it seems physically impossible, but unlike the other tricks you've seen this one does not fade with the holding of the seeing stone. This seems genuine, and unsettling. The stones that form the walls change about halfway down to something rougher cut and darker. When the stairs open to a wider room, the walls are almost entirely pitch black in color, like they drink the light of your torches and lamps. The room itself is small, about thirty feet to a side, and dominated in the center by a stone...altar? It is waist-high on the tallest of you and flat on the top except for a depression in the shape of a humanoid figure. Eight feet by three, it would make a narrow but functional resting place. Closer inspection of the depression reveals two needle-like protrusions where the hands would rest, an inch long and golden in color but for spots of dried, dark fluid that can only be blood. At the base, old worn scripts is barely visible. It's a long-disused dialect of the elven tongue, but one a modern speaker can decipher with small effort.

The blood of the powerful feeds the stones.

Of course, this might not be the first thing that holds your attention. It could be the large hole in the wall opposite the stairs, and the yawning darkness of the tunnel beyond. A hole that was not carved, but rather melted through. The stone on the edges has run and hardened again like candle wax, and the opening is large enough for something twice Val's height and three times her width to pass through. Cold hangs in the air around you, silence wrapping the room in a way that feels unnatural. No, not silence. A soft, barely perceptible hum rising from the altar in the room's center. Like a fly wrapped in cloth.

OOC

Feel free to do any resting/relaxing you want to do. Examining the basement can happen at any point. The box seems functional so sending a message is also an option available to you.

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC = 18, Touch = 12, FF = 16 / HP = 21/23 / Init = +1 / Turn Undead = +2   ______________________________________________________________________

Sister Clairese smiles when the children agree to find the books mentioned by the Oracle for the party, especially after seeing the massive library in the tower, one which rivals that of the Church, financial and bureaucratic records excluded of course.

However, when the holy woman notices the faded etchings around the basement door, Clairese tries to decipher the runes while pointing them out to the group asking, "Can anyone make any sense of these old etchings?"

Regardless of results, the minister explores the rest of the Tower bypassing the basement door for now.  When she enters the Witch's personal quarters, she completely ignores the chests of jewlry since the property clearly belongs to the temporarily missing tower resident.

However, she does look over the tub for a few moments out of curiosity but then Sister Clairese focuses her attention to the small shelf of books which were likely the Witch's personal collection, perusing the titles for topics of interest, as well as if any tomes which appears to have been recently accessed by a lack of dust on it.

Even as the Priestess looks over the books, she respectfully suggests to her colleagues when the letters are found inside the gilded red box that is the very mirror image of the Oracle's box, "I think we should send a message to the Oracle right away since it will take until tomorrow to even get a response back."

"In the message, we could let the Oracle know what has happened, who we met, what we know and also that we plan to investigate the basement," the cleric politely suggests.

"As for other matters, I'm willing to delve into the basement tonight if everyone wants to do so, but all of my high-level spells are spent for the day, so it would be much safer if we were to learn all we can now even detecting magic, then get a good night's sleep and explore the basement in the morning," she honestly adds.

"But I'll go with the group's decision." Looking back at the tub, she thinks to herself, A hot bath would be nice too, as she returns to the mission and continues to look over the books and titles for anything unusual or noteworthy which might help the party solve the mystery at hand.

Show Mechanics

Spells

0 LEVEL: Create Water/Detect Magic/Endure Elements/Light

1st LEVEL: Cure Light Wounds (2/2)/Shield of Faith

2nd LEVEL: Silence, Spiritual Weapon

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Edited by Terran (see edit history)
Name
Peruse Books for Clues
1d20+2 15
Decipher Etchings Around Basement Door
1d20+1 19

Neve

"Hah?"

Turning the spiggot of the tub back off and sending the bubbling tumult of water ceasing with a quiet shudder and groan of the pipers, the smallwoman looked to Sister Clairese over a steaming pool bath with a puzzled expression.  Perched as Neve was, bent on tiptoe over the rim, one arm dangling into the water, she had to blink up at the Cleric for a few moments before the conversation registered at all.

"Ah. Yes."  Looking back down she swished her hand in the tub, dark eddies of mud drifting in the wake of her self made current.  "No argument.  Missive.  Research.  Rest.  Then the basement on the 'morrow."

"If one of you would be so kind as to pen the letter, I can be of aid in the inquirry after a few minutes . . . " trialing off, she punctuated her distraction with a flurry of dirty leathers that saw the halfling in her smallclothes inside the bath before her boots had hit the floor.  Slipping into the bath with an audible groan, she sighed and added.

" - Make that many minutes."

"'Do we dare make a guess as to what this altar deems 'powerful?'"  Neve toweled her hair absently as she padded thoughtfully around the stone object, careful not to cross the ringing circle of script at the base.  Whatever odd looks she earned, her padding about the atrium of a dungeon in camp clothes armed with but a dagger, seemed of little concern as she studied the object.

"Aye, I know, no farther than this tonight - " she agreed to no one in particular.  " - but I'll wager I'm better here for us than a library.  You mentioned, Sister, you wished someone to detect magics - "  she looked back to the cleric at that, a businesslike nod taking over he features.  " - I've a small skill in that.  Give me an hours candlelight and we should be better armed for the morning."

Out of Character

I'll make no excuses for Neve jumping straight to the Forbidden Door right after her bath; Rogue's gotta Rogue. That and it occurred some of Neve's Abilities could be of use here.

So Neve, as a class ability has Read Magic, Detect Magic and Use Magic Items (All) in her skillset, so I'd like to kind of combine all those into a study of the altar. Theory being that it's definitely magic but by combining these innate knowledges she might be able to suss out either how to use the item or what it maybe does, or at least if it mimics a known item or spell? Idea is to spend a chunk of the evening on it while the others go through the library and before they set out proper in the morning through the Ominous Hole

Using "Read Magic" as the base ability here (only one with a listed link roll) it's an INT check, which is Prime. INT is +2, Class Level is +1 for MU

Read Magic

Name
Read Magic
1d20+3 14

spacer.png
spacer.png
Sylvan Elf - Primal Druid / Barbarian
Enhanced Senses | Twilight Vision | Spot Hidden Doors
AC: 17 | HP: 16 / 24 | Enc.: 22.5 / 25.5

The library hadn't interested Valfaren until she got sight of the silly sights of books flying back and forth. It was highly satisfying to watch them tumble through the air and have near-misses and then land exactly how it needed to be. She stared on at it as if in a childlike trance, dumb grin plastered on her face. Once the illusion was broken, however, she got bored and made her way elsewhere.

Val had ended up in the Witch's quarters but not much there seemed all too interesting. She sighed heavily knowing she wouldn't even know what to be looking for in the first place. That's why she had a small folk around to do it for her. Soon enough the message box was revealed.

"Yeah, do it. Send something now. But don't look at me; I don't want to write stuff. Sister, don't you fancy making scrolls? I bet you have pretty handwriting," Val said, making duck lips at Clairese for a moment before laughing.

Once the group had made it to the stone altar, Val knelt down and looked at the scripture closely. "Elvish. Old. Nobody uses this anymore. Says... hmm blood... stone... hmm... the blood of the powerful feeds the stones. Or something like that. Looks like ya lay down and get stabbed and shit happens, I dunno. I'm more worried 'bout that--" she said, indicating the huge melted-stone hole. She walked to it and looked at if the melts were the same on both sides of the hole, but otherwise stayed away from it until later.

"Don't worry Sis, I'm beat. Let's eat and sleep and kick ass in the morning, eh? Edgewick! How 'bout more of those famous beans?" Valfaren offered to her companion, wrapping an arm around the other woman's shoulders and squeezing, punching her opposite shoulder with her free hand. Clairese would notice a woody, floral musk like geraniums while Val was hugging her.

Wicke

spacer.pngspacer.png

Spells 0 ●●● | 1 ●●

At least they are amenable to finding the box to communicate with the Oracle, and soon enough they find it. Edgewicke is keen on getting that message out and learning more as they go, though no scholar is this former rake turned religieuse. "I'll pen the letter, I think. Might as well, you three are so busy with other things. We know what we want to say: is there anything we don't want to say? Perhaps it's an edge from an old life, but it is not always good to let one's patrons know your every step, just in case. But then, a holy fool am I. Perhaps forthwidthness is the way to go."

Wicke pens the letter all the same, regardless of what is excised, and then uses it to the specifications given them by the twins. All that done, he is inclined to agree with Val. "Rest is good, I think. We can relax, study, read, do what we need to do, and face the basement refreshed and focused. And well-fed? I don't know, how much hospitality are we being offered here? As far as the bath, you ladies can have first hatch: I'll be late to that party and take what little warmth you grace me with, I'm considerably less dirty than I expected."

He ponders. "That said, I have most of my spells remaining. If we want to delve in early, get a taste for things, I'm prepared."

He would rather rest, though.

Out of Character

Most everything is handled for now, I think.

Posted (edited)
A Relaxing Evening

Clairese sets to work on the bedroom, thumbing through the books that were set aside on the shelf there. The texts are esoteric, wordy and varied in the date of their creation. Some bound in leather, others in unidentifiable hide, some written on parchment and others on vellum. A theme does arise, however, as she checks the contents of them. Illusion, the history of and theories on. Given the nature of the tower and the books here, one could easily call into question exactly how much of what the Witch does is actually real? There is nothing here related to the tower or the basement. Clearly she is already well-versed in the function of both. Tucked among those books is a small, red-covered folio inked in greenish-gray ink. A series of formulae in no discernible order, it is clearly a spellbook.

When she turns her senses to the arcane, Clairese is hit with immediate regret. Regret and sensory overload, the oscillating auras of magic inundating her at every turn. The tower itself is entirely magical, a very nexus point of magical energy, and that aura is overwhelming. It permeates everything within: the books, the furniture, even her own form and that of her companions. Determining unique magical auras of anything that has been inside this place for more than an hour is an impossible feat, and the throbbing pain in the base of her skull is a discomfort she will remember for a long time to come.

Neve makes her way to the door after her own relaxing soak, accompanied by those who choose to follow, and examines the basement. The altar if the focal point and Neve has little hesitation in putting her talents to use in examining it. Opening her senses to magical auras is, once again, an unpleasant situation. The magic that inundates this place stems from the altar and the aura of it is blinding, deafening, like being smothered in power. The altar is magical, and Val seems to have the right of it. Neve can make the reach by the design that it is elven in origin and likely requires elven lineage to function. If the Witch makes frequent forays here to refresh the tower, she likely gives her own power to the altar to make that happen. It could be that any elf with the power to access magic could do the same to stabilize the magic of the place but there is no telling what the consequences might be for them in the short term. A diminishing of magical power seems likely, as they surrender it to the tower, but the intensity of the magic in this place indicates a more generous return is likely.

Broderick lays out the requested texts on a table in the library for you all to peruse at your leisure. Between baths, food and rest there isn't a great deal of time to dig into them but Val gives hers a cursory glance. Durka Lorx had atrocious penmanship but a talent for graphic description of carnage. A warlord from a tribe in the south in a time before the land was blasted and scorched. The Broken Wastes, described in the journal as Yav Larom, a land of rolling hills and lush forests. Warlord Lorx bathed the area in blood in his bid to bring disparate tribes under his thumb. An advisor turned his attention east to a kingdom of desert sands and sparkling oasis and the entries begin to get disjointed and raving. Mentions of wandering mystics and a curse, of an unquenchable rage and need for conquest, a tomb buried beneath the sands and a burial as punishment. Could it be that the origin of her own curse stems from this? And could she brave the Broken Wastes to pursue it?

The morning brings refreshment and the group, rested and recovered, turns their attention to the message box. A reply in the hand of the previous missives is waiting.

Your efforts in this investigation are appreciated. You have no obligation to go further, but the Witch is well-versed in magical studies and history. Should you see this through by locating her I have no doubt she will see you properly rewarded. Find the texts I told you about and read them to determine your next steps. Claim the message box as your own so that we may communicate during the pursuit of your goals. If you choose not to seek the Witch, send me another message and I will have someone come to claim the children before the tower fails completely.

All thoughts go to the basement and the large hole melted through the stone there. Whoever came through it, it seems likely they took the Witch with them. A delve into dark caverns beneath the Withered Grove? True adventurer material, but also one of the most dangerous things one might attempt. Is the reward worth the risk? Do you even owe these strange children the effort?

OOC

You have each obtained the material necessary for furthering your impossible quests. Everyone is fresh and healed, spell slots recovered.

Are you going to delve into the dark? If so, how do you intend to go about it?

Anything you need to do before you head out?

Edited by DoNotFearToTread (see edit history)

Sister Clairese doesn't have much success at finding any helpful information out about the Tower or basement other than the obviuos, illusion magic is at play, a logical conclusion that is  confirmed by the overwhelming number and magnitude of magical auras saturating the entire Tower which make the cleric's head pound.

Nonetheless, the holy woman points out the Tower occupant's spellbook when  she locates it among the bound books of the Witch's private collection in case someone in the party might be able to interpret its contents consisting most of complex formulae, as well as warning the party about the extreme effects of magical detection spells.

When Neve investigates the elven alter, Sister Clairese will stand guard while her colleague explores the mysteries of the place until the group retires to the library to peruse the materials requested by individual members of the party as prophesied by the Oracle.

After a good night's sleep, Sister Clairese rises before the first streaks of orange paint the night sky and engages in meditation, martial exercises, and silent prayers which renew her powers as the sun rises in the morning sky.  

Refreshing herself while the party read the response from the Oracle in the message box, the minister asks her colleagues, "Well, do you favor investigating the basement or reading the books and moving on with the Oracle's visions?  Personally, I wouldn't mind a look below."

Show Mechanics

Spells

0 LEVEL: Detect Alignment/Detect Magic/First Aid/Light

1st LEVEL: Cure Light Wounds (2/2)/Bless

2nd LEVEL: Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Neve

Popping the last bits of a stale scone in her mouth, Neve wiped a crumb from her lip with her thumb and grunted noncommittally.

"We're of a kind, then. By my ken the texts we're all after aren't going to moulder any more for a days absence and should we succeed - "  her hand waffled in the air, though if it was to emphasize the uncertainty of her point or debate her claim on the last slice of old toast with crystalized honey remained unclear.  " - selfishly, I'm not above wishing a Witch's gratitude.  Altruistically - " she glanced down the hall to where the children held some small conclave between just themselves.  " - if we cannot right this for them I fear they shall lose what home they have known.  They might not suffer privation after the Oracle claims them but - " another shrug.

"Truthfully, we might be able to stabilize the tower ourselves, Witch or no.  Or, well - " she frowned, deciding against the toast and settling back in her chair.  " - the altar seems the key to it.  Val had the right of it, mostly; it draws magic - by way of blood, I think - from an offerant and then the amplifies it to the tower's purpose.  I think it needs a blooded elf, but I might - might - be able to beguile that if we saw fit to make offering of ourselves.  Or, rather, of me."  another tiny shrug.

"I don't know if the altar distinguishes arcane from divine sources, so my . . erm dweomers might be the only thing suitable.  It is likely that the offering saps the giver, the magic is likely expended and might not return normally."

Out of Character

Neve might be overselling this a bit, but if our GM treats the Altar as an item one of Neve's MU abilities would let her use it, elf blood requirement notwithstanding. Might not work (is the altar and item or something else) and Neve might also lack the juice to activate it (she's only a level 1 MU) even if she can make it accept her as a substitute.

Definitely think the basement is worth exploring though.

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

Wicke

spacer.pngspacer.png

Spells 0 ●●● | 1 ●●

Refreshed and replenished, Wicke approaches the situation much the same as his companions. "Of a kind indeed. For my part, I would not want to see these children left to their own devices in what's already a terrifying swamp, and who knows, perhaps their life and apprenticeship here will bring something good about." He ponders, going back to his life as the leader of a roguish company of scamps. "We'll need a torch, I think, at least for me. Perhaps we light one, drop it down, and go from there. Take precautions, Neve and I at the head searching things out in relative silence. If anything gets rough, we let our sword witch do her thing and we do what we can in the meantime. Any objections?"

Out of Character

Let's dive down, I think.

Spelunking Spectacular

Gathered as a group in the rather cramped basement, the four heroes consider their options. Leaving the children to fend for themselves seems to be off the table. Stabilizing the tower themselves does seem to be within their power, though the specifics and possible complications of that remain unclear. Moving further into the darkness beyond means risk, as there is no telling what might lie in wait. Well, not no telling. Studying the opening in the wall, you each can see how the rock there has been melted away. The bitter stink of something acidic and pungent still clings to the warped stone and the tunnel that moves away from it seems similarly carved. It big enough to move two by two down that passage, but a quick check tells you that it soon opens into a larger natural cavern. Someone, or some thing, melted their way from the natural cave into the basement.

Ankhegs. You've all prepared for this adventure enough to find familiarity with common creatures of the wilderness you might encounter. Ankhegs are a scourge on underground communities, dwarves even have specific training methods for dealing with the things. But they're also beasts, with a beast's intellect, so this burrowing assault seems beyond them. The acid, though, makes their presence practically guaranteed in these caves. A nasty fight if you find it, but perhaps there are alternatives to a straight fight up ahead.

OOC

The option to utilize the altar, either through Val or Neve's efforts, is on the table should someone opt to do that.

If you all are ready to push forward into the cave, will you be using the proposed 'rogues up front' method? Let's talk light sources, too.