Planning: I.I - Raid Warning

Sorcery

@Jades @Intro @rmorgens @Demented

The time to shoot things is nigh, get your rifles and lace up your boots.

Subsequent iterations of the battle map will have the section split up into smaller fireteams so you can see where you are, but I didn't want to clutter it up unnecessarily while everyone was pretty much still in the same spot.

Since Baldr cannot handle the right dice just yet, do all your rolls in this thread on the old forums.

What difficulty is the Perception check?

Also, slings don't impact encumbrance, they alter a weapon's cumbersome rating, which is a different kettle of fish.  Backpacks and utility belts will free up encumbrance.  Which we'll need in order to carry any kind of useful load.

Right, I knew I forgot something... let's say Average difficulty, so two purple. I'll edit the post to reflect that.

As for the slings, it seems like Star Wars and Genesys have differing rules for what they do. Consider it a houserule, because they certainly help a lot more with conveniently carrying a rifle than with handling it to bring it on target. Bipods and tripods cover that as well anyway.

Load Bearing Gear (plus 3 encumbrance limit) and/or backpacks will probably feature in the future, but I kept them out of the equation for now since the equipment list for the first encounter is limited and compact enough not to run into that issue. Once we're looking at bigger weapons, sidearms, rations, and all that, yeah... we'll need something to bump up the limit. Going to tackle that when it becomes relevant and keep things streamlined until then. High speed, low drag.

@Intro Just to make sure I don't toss you somewhere you don't want to be just because of a misinterpretation, can you give me a quick Paint sketch (a rough circle is sufficient) of where you'd like your fire team to move?

I figured staying outside, but close, using whatever cover's around. The vehicles and trees and such along this line looked good, and there's that little creek just to the right for more solid cover if necessary.

sNdvzyt.jpeg

Edited by Intro (see edit history)

Jades seems to be MIA, so I will move her fireteam along for the time being. Map update is in the works, contact is imminent.

With those rolls you guys definitely spotted the enemy in time, please hit up the dice thread and roll for initiative using Cool. I'll post up the next bit once I have the initiative order. We'll go with the standard FFG SW approach and allow anyone to take a given initiative slot on their side while the opposition will have a single initiative slot. That way we should have maximum flexibility for the pitfalls of play-by-post.

That's fine, I hope things are a little less bothersome now.

Can you please do me a small favour and edit your post a tiny bit? I should've been more explicit about it, but the driver who dropped you off is out of the picture, to keep the encounter simple (which is also why the farm people are not there right now, handwaved away). So your buddy is going to do what buddies do and stick to you. To keep the whole thing manageable, your fireteam members will effectively remain glued to your character most of the time.

I only plan on changing that if we end up doing things like consolidating all the NPCs into a base of fire while you guys do house clearing or such.

What are the ranges?  To the enemies, and each other.  I made sure to get the talent that lets anyone who goes into cover within short range of Darcy add a point of ranged soak as well as defense.

Speaking of cover, does anybody have a guess at what those little white-and-black things south of the shed are?  I honestly can't make out anything no matter how close I zoom in.

I would stretch the definition of Short Range a little beyond what the books define it as. We're going to disregard the "talk without raising your voice" descriptor and push it out to 50 metres...-ish. Not a hard ruling and especially for indoors/close quarters fighting we may end up compressing it again, but I'd say we're looking, very roughly, at the following:

Game Range Band  Approximate Distance

Engaged

0 ~ 5 m
 Short  5 ~ 50 m
 Medium  50 ~ 300 m
 Long  300 ~ 800 m
 Extreme  800 ~ 1500 m
 >Planetary Scale  ~ 1500+ m

By that... metric, Hank and Darcy are at medium range for each other, while all other fireteam-fireteam ranges are short range. Both enemy units are at medium range currently, but moving closer could potentially bring at least fireteam 2, the one at the farm building, into short range.

I can try putting a hex grid on future iterations of the map to make it easier to estimate ranges. That, once again, will not be a hard rule, but it should help with getting a feel for it.

As for the black-and-white objects, I have no clue. I'll rule them as generic cover with one Black die though.

Edited by Sorcery (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I unexpectedly got a trip crammed into my schedule (heading out on Wednesday, going to last seven or eight days). Preparations for that have kept me busy and I'm not sure I'll be able to post much until I return. I'll try, but I don't want to promise anything that might not hold up. 

Thank you for being patient! :)

• 2 weeks later...