1. In the Lobby

Amrandirst

The revolving door silently revolves behind you as you enter. The door-mandrill grunts not unkindly as you enter the lobby. You barely hear it as your eyes go to the gleaming tiled floor, no two tiles the same shape and each tile a more rare and precious stone or wood than the last; then the eyes find columns, tall, from the ground floor lobby right up to the ceiling above the sixth floor. Each column seems to be gold or crystal and is as big around as a troll. Some gentle tinkling pulls your eyes up two a chandelier made of crystal and with intricate designs of frogs that can clearly see from 4 floors below. It is gently swaying.

“Welcome to the Blancmange & Thistle Hotel.” Says a well dressed dwarf at the front desk. “As you can see from the chandelier… the roof top party is quite in the swing of things. Do you have a reservation?”

Edited by Amrandirst (see edit history)

A small skinny man stands before the desk. To call him dirt and poor looking would be an understatement. His worn boots have both soles flapping as he walks and his wool clothing is frayed at the edges and has multiple patches from years of use. His scruffy brown hair drapes the sides of his head and hangs just below his chin. His eyes are a dull maple color.

Also he's surrounded by monkeys.

His rucksack seems to contain a small war zone as screeches and yips can be heard coming from it and it shifts and bulges, seemingly full of monkeys. one monkey stands atop the sack, with one hand holding the top flap open and the other rooting around inside, it jerks its hand back periodically as if the creatures in his pack are nipping at it. On the floor is a second monkey, this one screams as it yanks on one of the rucksacks straps, it is unclear if it is trying to steal the pack or is trying to pull the man away, but either way it is too small to accomplish anything. Finally there's one on his shoulder. This one seems somewhat calm, but any passerby's that make eye contact with the monkey perched on the mans shoulder get a loud hiss in response. All of them seem bluish at first glance. Upon closer inspection it seems that they are mostly black, grey, and white, which blend together to give the illusion of blue. A trained primatologist would see at first glance these are 'silver wall-runner monkey's'. Only two feet or so when fully standing, with a long black tail, these small portable livestock form a dietary staple for those living on the harsh windswept wall, which this man presumably hails from.

image.png.47608a3a556d2da4ec9ea77a7f5f9a67.png

"I uh...no I don't...Stop it!" He turns to snap at the monkey pulling on his rucksack, causing it to jump back and screech loudly. The chittering in his rucksack picks up in volume and frequency as he sighs and turns back to the clerk. "No sorry I don't...You wouldn't happen to have any vacant rooms would you?" As he returns to his conversation the monkey that was tugging on his pack returns to its previous mission and begins yanking on a loose strap again, with tiny grunts from its effort.

Edited by Visorian (see edit history)
Name
Monkey Mien
1d6 6

RhinoMan2.jpg.37b827af5e43b99623da4c44becbe829.jpg

Spike

Spike the rhino-man squeezes through the revolving door, and snorts as he passes the mandrill doorman. His tiny red helmet somehow covers more of him than the rest of his clothes, but he doesn't seem to notice how underdressed he is for the opulent setting as his beady eyes scan the room. Grunting again, Spike approaches the front desk near the monkey-man. He fingers the knife at his belt thoughtfully, as he looks at the beasts climbing on the man's pack.

When asked if he has a reservation, however, he just shrugs. "Yes. Under name Spike."  Eh, it's worth a try. People usually don't like to tell him no.

The concierge seems unperturbed by the monkeys (smell or antics) and the forward rhino-man. Clearly this hotel, while upscale, has seen all kinds of guests.

He clears his throat Properly. “Let me check…”, he slides a leather bound notepad to the center of the desk and begins flipping through it. “No Spike on the books, apologies, sir… We have one room available. It has two standard beds and is on the 6th floor. Quite convenient access to the roof party if sir…sirs… are inclined. I do apologize, are you checking in together?” He looks unconcernedly between Manfred and Spike.

Near the door, and mandrill is eyeing the monkeys with something like glee.

Edited by Amrandirst (see edit history)

Spike

Spike snorts again. "Stupid personal assistant. Check full government name, The Honorable Sir Spikelocious Rhinomortington the Third. Esquire." Assuming that name-checking himself doesn't work, he peers myopically at the monkey man.

"Gonna fire personal assistant. Sixth floor room fine. Monkeys touch my beer, I eat monkeys," he warns, although he doesn't seem to care which ending actually happens.

Barnaby strolls through the entrance, his jaw slack as he gazes upwards and around at the scintilating colours and accoutrements. It seems entirely likely he had taken his time in reaching the hotel due to similar reactions on the street throughout the city.

Making his way to the desk he takes healthy strides, his burly chest puffed out and his maul slung across his shoulders arm draped over it.

'Hullo one room please' he booms, oblivious to conversation taking place around him as he absent mindedly smiles and waves at the monkey bouncing around, the various lights reflecting on his bald pate almost mirroring his waistcoat, which could only be described as 'prismatic'.

The concierge flips through the book again. "No... no Rhinomortington, apologies, sir."

He smiles Properly as Barnaby comes up and continues.

He takes a small silver key on a fine chain from a desk drawer. "Here is the key to room 665..." he looks uncomfortably at Spike and spares a quick glance at Manfred and Barnaby. "I am happy to say that tbe is no additional charge for extra guests... though there is a modest pet fee... " He hands the key to Spike.

"Please note there is a map built into most columns. You can take either the stairs or the elevator to the 6th floor. " He guestures to a column made of crystal with a detailed carving of the hotel in it.

The mandrill near the door is playing peekaboo with the monkeys now, hiding his face behind his hat.

Spike

Spike snorts again, and turns to look at the bald techincolor mauler. "My room first. You can stay. Pay the man," he orders, vaguely, waving in the direction of the concierge. "Monkeys sleep on roof, no need pet fee," he points out, completely reasonably.

"I guess that makes sense...Wait, what do you mean first? There's two beds. I can sleep on the floor I just want a roof for once." He glances over to Barnaby and gives a sheepish smile. He leans in and asks "What's an elevator? I know what elevation is...does it teleport?"

Looking at Barnaby, Manfred spots the door-mandril behind him. Manfred waves shyly not really sure how to interact with a sapient primate given his profession.

'How much would that be my good man?' Barnaby rumbles as he starts to unload his posessions looking for his money bag, placing a large bundle of steaks on the concierges desk, followed by an iron.

'Be a good fellow and make sure it's discounted, there will be...' he counts, pointing at those involved as he does 'four? of us in there...'

Turning to face Manfred he looks aghast 'You've never seen an elevator? Wonderfull contraptions, breath taking boxes that save you from having to use the stairs! That being said stairs are an excellent way to keep a good fitness regime...do you have a regime?' Barnaby finishes this last part almost sheepishly as he takes in Manfred's physique.

"Ah, I have noted the honorable Spike in the Room Ledger here. You can settle the bill for the room when you all are checking out. No need for that hassle now, I am sure you are weary from your journey. " The concierge looks disapprovingly at Barnaby's steaks and iron. "I assure you, bribes of steaks and threats of malicious ironing will only get you as far as the door with me... Now, our elevator is worked by an employee. Simply pull thr brass ring near the elevator door and you wioo bean your way." He gives a lukewarm smile.

'No! My steaks!' Barnaby calms himself and continues 'I assure you that these stakes were not an attempt at bribery, merely an attempt to organise one's luggage!' he packs his items away, eyeing the concierge in case he attempted to take the delicious, prime steaks.

'Gentlemen, perhaps we should head to our room and ensure this, uh, fellow? experiences the wonder of an elevator?'

Spike

Spike nods at Barnaby's suggestion. "I don't work out," he comments, with a snort. "I just naturally look like this."

With those words, he turns and walks towards the elevator, key in hand, thoughts of skipping the bill on his mind.

"O-ok...yea let's go." Obviously apprehensive, Manfred follows after a short farewell wave to the doorman. "So uh, what kind of steaks are those? they looked pretty big. Also you should probably wrap them in something, don't want them to get dirty ya'know?" He tried to make conversation as they make their way.

The concierge wearily eyes a red puddle on the counter from Barnaby’s luggage as the new roommates move to the elevator.

A pull of the brass ring, a stretching of a somehow luxurious red rope, the sound of a jungly happy bell sounds from somewhere beyond the elevator doors. After a moment of the odd sounds of pottery being aggressively thrown in a kitchen sink, the chrome doors open, and two people covered entirely from head to too in overlapping plate steel walk out. They are having a hushed echoing conversation and exit the hotel. You can see inside the elevator now and a small mandrill wearing a red jacket is standing near the most complex controls you’ve ever seen; levers, buttons, ropes, and a gyroscope, all unlabeled, cover one of the side walls.

The elevator operator smiles at you and sniffs the air.