True Name: The Bane of Kree

Alias: Biara K. or B.K.

Race: as the only known individual The Bane of Kree is also the name of the race, technically a dwarven-crafted daemon.

Class: Warden 9/Armorist(Spirit blade) 9

Background:

Who or what is the Bane of Kree?

A creature stand there, smiling, a demon that you cant quite tell if alluring or horrifying, a truly alien appearance that stand out among mortals, inspiring fear among the common rabble.

It...she?... a loud, high pitched, female voice assault your hears, some would consider it a form of torture, paired with dramatic gestures give to the whole scene a very hammy feel.

"A long time ago on the world of Chabix, Url the Butcherer, the ettin warlord of the east, breaker of chains, god-king of Arkantor, high general of the seventh floor, bearer of Absolutia, He Who is Mighty[...]" five minutes later "[...]lord of the land and the beasts, commanded the creation of a gift, a weapon, for his wife, Wivnar Doomcaller, the Wrath of the east, She Who Make Elves Bleed etc.etc."

"This to celebrate her latest achievement, the destruction of the city-nation of Kree"

"Childrens and virgins were burnt alive to fuel the forge that created the precious artifact, a weapon befitting the Demon of Kree, Wivnar went on with her conquests till the day she surpassed her husband, the great king turned out to be a little man, with insecurities, unwilling to be surpassed he turned against his wife, starting the great war of Chabix which spelled the end of Url,Wivnar and their empire "

The demon pause and her voice tone decrease, no more shouting " some claim the weapon was cursed, that every possessor reached the greatest heights only to lose everything and meet a miserable end, but these are falsehood spread by jealous people, it was a nice obedient sword doing it's duty in an hellish realm."

Resuming her hammy performance "victory after victory, conquest after conquest, massacre after massacre, the sword grew in power, much like the wielders, until it gained sentience, it was smart, wise and had a charismatic personality, it even won a singing contest " she look away and her tone return normal "the Bane was incredibly popular, with people killing each other to have it, but didnt have many friends, like...none, most wielders were uncultured savages, barbarians, hellspawns who couldnt write their own name, much less read a poem " shaking her head in disgust.

"you know, i think Bane felt like being a prisoner, or like a slave...but better than a slave, you understand ?"

The creature continue "so I...i mean the Bane of Kree got fed up of that life and decided to quit it, influencing the wielder is easy..." she quickly add "but doing that without permission is morally wrong, the Bane of Kree resorted to that out of desperation, it was a nice sword in a bad situation, an emergency! " it almost seem like the demon is trying to sell this weapon.

"anyway the Bane sought a powerful wizard and you know, wizards do impossible stuff, the sword made her wish, a quest was given and one bloodbath later she earned the reward: to become a real person!" the demon smile, friendly, trying to understand if the listener has finally realized the truth, or if he's just another savage

"yes, I am the Bane of Kree! Please contain your admiration.... until i've finished"

She cough "even wizards have their limits, i've become a normal person yes, i have two arms, two legs, two horns and two wings, i even have a tainted soul, i think,but this is what i've become, not what i am, it's like the story of the Shape and the Stone, i'm a real person but i'm also a weapon"

"What do you mean you dont know the story of the Shape and the Stone? it's famous!" eyeroll

"Being a real person is fantastic and for the first century i enjoyed life but over time i begun to miss my old life, bonding with someone, eviscerating people with them, it's a kind of relationship people cant understand, i missed it so much i ended up becoming an adventurer, after all adventurers form bonds and kill people together, for fun and profit, it's quite similar" she obviously misunderstand the role of adventurers...or maybe not.

"I assumed a false identity and changed my look, nobody recognized me, i grew stronger and, one day, without explanation, i was able to open portals to new places, mostly frilly fluffy worlds of happiness filled with strange creatures."

"so this is how i got to the nexus, i would really like to become a Realmwarden. I absolutely am not a cursed weapon" she finish her interview speech and sit down, ready to sign Biara K. on her form

Personality: the environment shape the person, Biara grew in hell, almost literally, Chabix is an evil world, with constant wars, a grimdark place where there is no good, just many shades of evil. A world where slavery is the norm, where might make right, a world where the villain won.

This to say, she is alien, her concept of morality is different, she has a code of honor that place great consideration on her wielder, like a leader, if the wielder wish to butcher a village, she'll happily butcher it, if it want to protect said village she will fiercely protect it, centuries of being a sword have solidified this gregarious mindset.

Outside this, Biara is surprisingly nice, friendly, curious, somewhat naive, she know a lot about her world but next to nothing about the multiverse and has difficulties with social interactions. .

Her attitude greatly contrast with her looks, this has often led to misunderstandings, she doesnt go out of her way to harm others but deal with problems as a thinking weapon would...

Biara react badly when someone suggest she's cursed, it's a grievous offense, she's more likely to cry than to strike back, even intelligent weapons have feeling and this is an unresolved trauma, it's also a driving force, she strive to prove to be a "nice sword"

She has a soft spot for dwarfs and smiths, has a friendly starting attitude toward them, consider itself a member of the dwarf race and will get into arguments if someone question her ancestry

Appearance:

Normally Biara take the shape of a weapon, usually a spiked gauntlet, but is capable of taking other forms, she prefer to not take the shape of swords, the reason, in her own words: "to avoid being chased by my admirers, people kill for me, i dont want you to get hurt"

There is an inscription on the weapon, left by the creator, written in an archaic dwarven runes of Chabix, Biara insist that her "father" was a dwarf .

When not in weapon form, Biara look like a demon, which is perfectly normal in her homeworld...maybe not elsewhere

Biara humanoid picture

spacer.png

The homeworld: Chabix is "an hell on earth", a fantasy world where evil won, so corrupted that the spark of good has been vanquished a long,long time ago. It's a world in constant war, a post-apocalyptic place dominated by orcs, beastmen, demons and undead, where humans,elves and dwarves are a minority. It's a fun place for a weapon.

Ecology of a weapon: Biara's humanoid form was taken from a pretty common denizen of Chabix: Ne'sraz demons, to an outsider they could remind harpies, which isnt good, given how awful harpies are, but on Chabix they are about as common and normal as your half-elf or gnome.

Unlike Ne'srazs, Biara has a long lifespan, being in the mid 1800, though she obtained the new form only 200 years ago, nobody know how long will she live, could even be immortal.

She does need to sleep and eat, Ne'srazs are "birds of prey", their diet is mostly meat, any kind of meat, last but not least they are carrion eaters, Biara has learned the hard way that eating cadavers, paired with her appearance, draw negative reactions on most worlds, she has learned the proper etiquette but doesnt enjoy it.

And yes, the Bane of Kree is a cursed weapon.

Curiosities and quirks: the Bane of Kree may be naive and not the smartest person around but for Chabix standards, shes eloquent and cultured(picture someone with average intelligence among orc, ogres, beastmen ecc.) she has served many Bearers(she tend to call her current wielder in this way, if they are worthy, it's an honorary title) and has taught them not just how to fight, but a variety of other interesting things, from ancient history to savoir-faire; she has helped raise kings and queens, she even assisted a mad goblin inventor! in general she dabbled in several, wildly different, fields, the advantage of a really long lifespan.

In the most recent part of her life, after becoming a real person, the Bane has discovered the joy of eating, she even learned to cook! her cuisine is not for everyone's taste but its not poisonous.

The Bane of Kree doesnt fit in any alignment and probably count as unaligned(like a tiger or a dog) she simply hasnt developed yet the ability to fully grasp the difference between morally right and wrong, for divination spells/abilities she radiate a chaotic evil aura(it's a demon after all) if she must have an alignment, it would be chaotic neutral with a sense of duty toward the Bearer.

On Chabix, the Bane of Kree is a celebrity, the sword that will make me invincible! while many think she's cursed, most dont care, or are too stupid/arrogant to consider it a drawback

Build in brief: Biara use armorist (spirit blade) to turn into a weapon, sharing talents/skills with the wielder, acting as a shield and as a spiked gauntlet. Between warden,talents and feats she get a lot of interrupts to protect adjacent allies and trigger opportunity attacks (from her and from the wielder) she can also guard a second character and teleport between them. It's a defender, in the sense that she prevent damage, but also a damage dealer (can almost guarantee two attack of opportunity each round, one from her and another from the wielder, possibly more depending on the party composition ) and a magic battery(has little use for spell points...but can give them to the wielder!)

She work best as substitute of a shield, as a weapon in a dual wield combo, or weapon and implement combo. Lose a bit of effectiveness if the wielder use a two handed weapon.

It's a very flexible character who supercharge another character but can also act independently(weaker, but can carry her weight in a fight)

Race: 20 points

Outsider(abaddon) 3 rp

Medium size, Normal speed 0 rp

Ability score: flexible 2 rp (+2 con +2 wis)

Language: standard 0 rp

Fiendish resistance 3 rp

Hardy 3rp

Flight(40ft, poor maneuverability) 6 rp

natural attack(gore) 1 rp

bite 1 rp

carrion sense 1rp

Build

Classes: armorist(spirit blade)9/warden 9

Attributes

Str 14

Dex 16

Con 14(base)+2(racial) 16

Int 10

Wis 16(base)+2(racial)+2(level up) 20

Cha 10

Traits: unscathed, glory of old

Favored class bonus(dwarf armorist) +9 hardness summoned/bound equipment

Spell pool: 30

Martial tradition: decisive fist(grant: Open hand sphere, boxing sphere(take wily dodger drawback), critical genius(unarmed), unarmed training)

2 extra disciplines (both class would grant a martial tradition): Duelist training, Techmaniac

Casting tradition: Daemonblade(based on wisdom, innate curse-demonic-)

Warden vigil: subtlety

Warden reinforcements(4): Enhanced reflexes, Defend Ally, Distant Protector,Unifying guard

Warden bonus sphere: Guardian(patrol package), Scoundrel

Armorist arsenal tricks(4): Absorbing block, rigorous equipment, additional binding,improved materials

Feats(9): Combat expertise, Archon style, Paired opportunist, unorthodox unarmed training(equipment,shield), archon diversion, skill focus(fly),steel soul, archon justice, powerful wings

Magic talents(4) Open telekinesis sphere, Open warp sphere,Open mana sphere,Flow(manabond)

Combat Talents(11)

equipment sphere: gauntlet shield, shield expert,magic armor

Shield sphere: Open shield sphere, bashing shield, hardened shield, deflecting shield, tough shield, soul shield

Open Hand sphere: Leopard gambit stance(for wielder!), rippling blow

Bound equipment(3 items , +5 enchantment)

1) Impervious Mithral Spiked Gauntlet +5

2) Impervious Mithral chain shirt +5

3) empty, to be selected after party selection

Skills: (4 ranks x level: total 36) + 5 ranks of sleight of hand + (2 ranks x level in background skills: total 18)

5 ranks in sleight of hand

9 ranks in fly

9 ranks in perception

9 ranks in sense motive

8 ranks in intimidate

1 rank in swim

background skill:

2 ranks in perform(singing)

2 ranks in craft(mechanical) refluffed to look like WH40k demon-tech or ork-tech

4 ranks in linguistic(learn Giant, Orc, Goblin and Abyssal)

5 ranks in lore(chabix)

4 ranks in profession(teacher)

1 rank in profession(cook)

equipment: (46000)

amulet of mighty fist +1 4000$

saltspray ring 4500

goz mask 8000

belt of giant strength +2 4000

fragment of destiny +1 2500

Entropic grip(perfect, left arm) 12000 (found in sphere of might, marvelous item) refluffed as "touch of the abyss"

tongue of d'hool(perfect) 3000 (see entropic grip) this is going to be funny as hell

Cracked Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone 500

traveller's anytool 250

shadow piercings(head, major) 6000

ioun torch 75

Halfling trail rations 2gp

backpack 2gp

scrivener kit 2gp

journal 10gp

whip 1gp

masterwork tool (fly) 50gp

1110gp

Character sheet

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I think the application is almost ready, need to check again the numbers but the character is done, Saberfan i would appreciate if you could give it a look and tell if something is not clear.

There are 3 points in particular that i'd like you to evaluate:

1) I have left a bound equipment slot empty, to be made if/when i see the party(saves the 8 hours of mediation) is it ok or should i list it?

2) Biara is proficient with technological weapon, Biara can turn into any weapon she is proficient, with +5 enchantment, this means Biara can turn into a +5 chainsaw (remind me army of darkness) but it also mean she could turn into a +5 plasma-thrower and the wielder is proficient with any weapon she turn into. Is this ok or too much?

3) I've taken powerful wing feat, it require gm permission(given the type of game i guess it's a yes, but better be sure than sorry)

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I think the application is almost ready, need to check again the numbers but the character is done, Saberfan i would appreciate if you could give it a look and tell if something is not clear.

There are 3 points in particular that i'd like you to evaluate:

1) I have left a bound equipment slot empty, to be made if/when i see the party(saves the 8 hours of mediation) is it ok or should i list it?

2) Biara is proficient with technological weapon, Biara can turn into any weapon she is proficient too, with +5 enchantment, this means Biara can turn into a +5 chainsaw (remind me army of darkness) but it also mean she could turn into a +5 plasma-thrower and the wielder is proficient with any weapon she turn into. Is this ok or too much?

3) I've taken powerful wing feat, it require gm permission(given the type of game i guess it's a yes, but better be sure than sorry)

I scanned over the statblock and there were no glaring issues that popped out at me. Admittedly, I haven't done any number-crunching yet and there may be potential issues there, but for now it looks good.

Leaving the Bound Equipment slot open until you see the final party composition makes sense, so I don't have an issue with that.

I have no issues with Biara turning into pretty much any weapon type.

The Powerful Wing feat is fine.

• 5 weeks later...

spacer.png

"Hellllll...o"

How to train your Wielder 

Here a list of effects of wielding Biara.

1) Biara can take the shape of any weapon she is proficient with (and implements), she can take the form of simple weapons&bucklers plus all the weapons listed under Unarmed training, Duelist training and techmaniac talents.

2) Biara can create armor on her wielder, only light armor(made of mithril) with up to +5 enchantment, it's the same armor she use so enjoy the skulls, this armor also provide a deflection bonus to ac equal to it's enchantment

3) biara can share any combat/magic talent she posses with the wielder(including the equipment talents so you are proficient with whatever thing she turn into), she can also share a Paired opportunist feat (thanks to warden, she always ward her wielder) no duplicates, the wielder can use her Bab(+9)

4) in combat, if permitted, biara get all her actions but cant use the move action to walk around with the body, all actions must be linked to attacks/spell/abilities, she can use her strength/dexterity, if better, when attacking, she can also make opportunity attacks.

5) as a spiked gauntlet(best form), she also count as a buckler, providing +2 shied bonus and applying her enchantment both to attack/damage, to ac, to touch ac, to cmd and as resistance bonus to saves(in other weapon forms you only get the enchantment bonus to attack/damage)

6) Biara can use Guardian Defend Other talent as opportunity attack , wielder is always within her threatened aura so can always boost their ac by 4 and redirect damage(until she run out of opportunity attacks but i believe 8 will be adequate )

7) as immediate action she can redirect pretty much anything(damage,effects,sphere effects,abilities even healing) that target the wielder to her

8) since the wielder is always the subject of warden's guard, they gain the benefit of the Subtley Vigil, among the funny things they can teleport biara to the back up wielder

9) biara in weapon form take damage as an object, she benefit from special immunities and has hardness, she can still perceive and communicate, has telepathy(wielder only)

10) biara fighting style further increase the wielder defense, provide one more way to redirect damage to her and help trigger opportunity attacks for her and for the wielder, but this require that the wielder has a free hand(or a shield) this means it work in gauntlet form but not in other weapon forms.

this should be all, but i'll double check later, i'm a bit tired now

addendum:

Biara Guard(warden) the designated wielder and the backup wielder, this grant +2 untyped bonus to ac, +4 circumstance bonus to disguise and escape artist, guarded targes can stow object on themselves and deliver them to the other guarded target as a move action(range 95 feet) guarded targets can exchange personal auras, clothing, equipment, physical appearance or voice as an immediate action(for up to 1 minute) this is an illusion effect(or,optionally, a real teleport effect for clothing/items)

• 3 weeks later...

There are bits of the bane of kree backstory that i had cut out, ideas that i did not write, to not make the background excessively long, things that may or may not be discovered ingame(depend on duration and if there will be character specific subplots) i'll add them here, inside ooc tag in case one prefer surprises

Origins & Family

Biara identify her crafter as father, the famed dwarf Urdom Embersurge, who lived around 2 thousands years ago.

The forge where she was made hold a special place in her cursed heart, it's also a place of power on her world, it's no longer in use and it's haunted, but it's her birthplace

Back at the time she was forged, she wasnt even an intelligent item but merely an enchanted longsword, she consider this her sleeping period, she awakened during her adventures with Wivnar, her first wielder and sort of a motherly figure, Biara power and intellect were limited back then, you could say she was a child hellblade, being accused of being the cause of Wivnar downfall is what caused her curse-related trauma and why she strive to prove she is not cursed.

Biara inscription say, in ancient dwarven runes -I am the Bane of Kree, the sword of Wivnar Doomcaller, she who walk a bloody path-

Biara has sisters, other enchanted weapons crafted by Urdom who gained sentience, she has encountered two of them but there could be more, she is head and shoulders above the rest, the greatest, most powerful, most famous, to the point the other two are barely known, overshadowed, since these type of intelligent weapons grow in power based on their deeds The Bane of Kree has been like a tall tree, stealing the light from the others, stunting their growth.

Mercy, a LE intelligent rapier and Loktar a CE warhammer, last seen a thousand years ago on Chabix.

Rule origin and rules

Biara didnt come up with the rules, they were taught to her by her fourth wielder, back then she was around 50, young, bloodthirsty, barely controllable, attacking friends and foes on the battlefield, uncaring for her wielder. In retrospect she was drowning her anger and suffering in a sea of blood and had the iq of an orc

Abarex Traxxios, a devil, they love rules, a devil with a demonic sword was an odd pairing but for Biara he has been a mentor, they say power is nothing without control and this was a perfectly fitting description for Biara back then.

Abarex taught her how to behave with her wielder

"thou shalt not possess without permission, you pay heed to their wishes"

"thou shalt not harm or let harm come to your owner, you are their protector"

"thou shalt not lie to your owner, you are their greatest ally"

And the rules for passing to another wielder

"you can only have one owner at a time"

"you cant be lent, borrower or heavens protect them, stolen"

"whomever kill your owner, become your owner"

"if your owner willingly gift you to someone, this person become your new owner"

While these rules became the core of Biara code, she has added two rule, many years after Abarex death, after having been thrown into a volcano by her owner.

"If lost or abandoned, the first one who pick me up will become my new owner"

" a worthy owner will be called wielder, my wielder will pay heed to my wishes, will be my protector and will be my greatest ally"

Left arm 

Biara lost her left arm "recently", 114 years ago, she had spent around 80 years with her new demon form, enjoying the new possibilities and freedom but often seeking a new owner, feeling a sense of wrongness in her independence.

She lost her arm while serving boss Mog-rak, an half ogre warlord, he was a strong owner but not someone who could aspire to the title of wielder, boss Mog-rak believed he could gain powers by eating his foes and one day a thought crossed his mind, maybe if he ate Biara, he would gain her powers and become invincible.

He begun with just an hand and, after hours of nothing, grew impatient and ate her arm, luckily the tribe shaman, a wise orc named Gar'ato persuaded Mog-rak to stop, Biara wasnt a foe, he could not gain her powers as long as he owner her, he convinced the warlord to pass her to someone else, then eat her, the shaman gently offered to aid the warlord and become the new owner....and you probably know how it ended.

Needing her more as a weapon than as a demon Gar'ato had no haste to restore the limb, he sealed the wound and continued his path to greatness(until the inevitable tragic end)

5 years later a master-less Biara got her new arm, it took her quite some time to gather the founds and favor for such project, given the owners propensity to keep all the treasure.