Kuri's Creations

Were almost done with the world of darkness as I open up my book for Promethean the created, a game Ive always wanted to play but never had the opportunity to

Setting: You are not human, you are the product of several corpses being put together and stitched with the ancient fire stolen by Prometheus. Thrust into a world among mortals who instinctively hate you. Many are good, decent people, but its not their fault. When theyre near you your artificial nature forces them to lash out whether they want to or not. Yet they have that fire inside them and you know that the gift of humanity is something you can achieve. Your pilgrimage is to become human despite those beings fearing and hating you when the disquiet takes over. Yet humanity is not your only problem as to become human one must create another promethean, however not all creations succeed. Many, far to many, become broken husks like porcelan dolls with no soul that hunt your kind down, wishing to kill and devour your supernatural essence. So be careful on your pilgrimage to become human for some take years, some decades, and some never succeed but every pilgrimage is different, hopefully you will achieve what so few prometheans have before

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Holmes

Height: 6’

Weight: 192

Lineage: Galatea

Refinement: Aurum (Gold)

Virtue: Hope

Vice: Envy

Background: Holmes was just created two years ago in an old abandoned warehouse on the edge of San Francisco’s docks district. His creator was not one to stay, after achieving the goal of their pilgrimage and becoming human they left him to fend for himself. A situation he has had very mixed results with.

A new life, a new intelligence, and with no direction Holmes struggled to figure out what he was. The corpse that had once been his body had been reanimated and the stitching of bodyparts was almost invisible save for the strange cracks in his "skin" like a broken porcelain doll. His body was beautiful but as he neared the humans of the city they felt something was off. Unsure why they hated him and why he felt so off. They often threw things at him, cursed at him, a few even beat him within an inch of his life once.

It was then that Holmes new he had to be careful around humanity yet they had this spark that he desired. He wanted so badly to be like them. To exist in the world without the world hating him. Not long after he found his creators journal, detailing their pilgrimage in vague riddles and allegory. He did his best to learn about humans from a distance. Watching people from far away, learning how they spoke, how they moved, how they acted, how they worked, and eventually he saw the spark of humanity burn so brightly and desired it just as his creator had before him.

He eventually took up a job as a bartender in a dive bar that had only the worst customers. Surrounded by criminals, drug dealers, and worse he has continued his observations with a clear goal. To follow his creators footsteps and like them become human. It wasn’t long before he found more of his kind out there and since then he has become an information broker for the city’s promethean community helping any he can and giving warnings of the Pandorans hunting them all

Intelligence 2         Strength  2             Presence 3

Wits 2                    Dexterity 3             Manipulation 3

Resolve 2               Stamina  2              Composure 2

Skills:

Academics

Computer  

Crafts 2

Investigation 1

Medicine 1

Occult

Politics

Science

Athletics 1

Brawl 1

Drive 1

Firearms

Larceny 1

Stealth 1

Survival 2

Weaponry

Animal Ken

Empathy 1

Expression 1

Intimidation 1

Persuasion 3

Socialize 2

Streetwise 1

Subterfuge 2

Merits:

Barfly 1

Resources 1

Lair size 2

Lair security 1

Danger sense 2

Health 7

Willpower 4/4

Pyros 7/10

Azoth 1

Humanity 7

Size 5

Speed 9

Initiative 4

Defense 2

Skill specialties

Subterfuge: Spotting Lies

Streetwise: Gangs, Rumors

Transmutations

Corporeum 3 (Autonomic Control, Regeneration, Human Flesh)

Experience

Experience spent

Today Im going to switch gears (dont worry I have 1 more world of darkness book to go) because as I was looking over my bookshelves I found an old old old book that I had forgotten I even had along with another one in the same system thats setting I loved. What is it? Well its TSR's Science fiction setting Alternity. Usually I talk up the setting because I want someone to be interested in these settings and ideas to hopefully expand peoples horizons on the kinds of games that are out there. Alternity doesnt have a set setting as its a game about what ifs. Its a game that took developing scientific ideals back then and tried to predict where they would end up. The book itself talks about it being able to fill a modern action role to anywhere in the far flung future if you so desire.

I do remember playing this game with my brother (our GM) and high school friends but the fact that it had no setting I think hurt it in the long run but also to be fair its hard to do that when you span millions of years in Future tech and events. Back then when you played AD&D you were by default playing Greyhawk or if you wanted you were in the domains of dread, or dark sun, or hoping around the multiverse in planescape. Alternity didnt have that and I think it was a bit of a diservice at least till Dark matter came out and dont you worry were gonna talk about dark matter at some point.

For now I wanted to flip through this book which brings back a lot of memories and look at its very alien races before I created a new character.

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Seeha'vot

Background: Seeha'vot was always a special case in Sesheyan society, being ever inquisitive and inventive. He spent many days hunting along with his tribe mates and when they rested he put his mind to work on new tools to achieve goals easier. Some say he was the first sesheyan to build metal tools and to develop firebombs for dealing with predetors without the need to land and stab them with spears. He was one of the first Sesheyan's to approach humanity as they found the eternally twilight planet of Seha. Coming from a tribal society they welcomed the visitors from the skies and formed a small sect of Sesheyan that wished to learn about their intergalactic neighbors and the mysterious technology they possessed.

As a form of cultural exchange Seeha'vot and several other representitives of their society began a trek out into the stars to see the lands beyond. Ever inquisitive Seeha'vot became one of the races first scientists, taking an interest in Life, Computers and technical science fields knowing only the basics at first but as his brain soaks up continuous information like a sponge many of his colleagues think Seeha'vot will become some sort of savant for galactic knowledge. After spending several years in the institutions humans called Schools hes now hes boarded a ship with a small crew seeking out every little piece of information he can find, cataloging it, and sending it back home as he inspires others of his species to get out into the universe and learn more.

Concept: Developing Scientist

Species: Sesheyan

Career: Tech Op

Motivation: to explore the stars and learn everything

Ability scores:

Strength 10

Dexterity 7

Constitution 7

Intelligence 14

Willpower 12

Perception 10

Skills

Melee weapons 1

Acrobatics 1

Stamina 1

Knowledge 1

Awareness 1

Interaction 1

Computer science 1

-Hacking 1

-Hardware 1

-Programming 1

Life Science 1

-Biology 1

-Genetics 1

-Xenology 1

Ranged weapons Modern 1

-Pistol 1

Technical Science 1

-Invention 1

-Jury-Rig 1

-Repair 1

-Technical Knowledge 1

Special Abilities:

Flight

Zero-G training

Falling

Night vision

Light sensitivity

Action check score increase

Accelerated Learning

So before I mentioned that Alternity didnt have a default setting and thats still true. However it had 2 not default settings. The first was Star drive a game I never played and never GMed for but from what Ive heard was your standard explore the galaxy sort of affair. The other setting is still one of my favorites ever and that is Dark Matter and I still have a very beaten up book for it. Its a shame that we will probably never get a revival of the game

Setting: If you've come looking for truth youre in the wrong place. If you've come looking for possibilities then welcome friend. Dark matter is a game that capitalizes on the late 90s conspiricy stories and may be the closest thing Ive ever seen to a faithful adaptation of the X files in table top RPG format. Think back to alien abductions, psychic powers, occult secrets, unexplained miracles, strange cults, and secret societies that you've ever heard of...then imagine if they were all true, and your job was to investigate them. That is Dark matter my absolute favorite modern setting

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Angel Bishop

Background: Angel was born into a religious low class family as the oldest of three brothers and two sisters. Both her parents worked multiple jobs to make ends meet leaving her to watch her siblings as soon as she could. The family took up all her time and as she grew up she had trouble in school always finding it incredibly boring but she was a popular girl. Despite being a church going catholic good girl she fell in with a bad crowd and found her real calling as she learned how to lie, to pick locks, and to steal. Soon she was bringing home money telling her folks and siblings she had found a part time job.

As she grew up into a woman she spent her days as a good catholic girl helping her family and being a part of the community and by night she was donning her black clothes and stalking out into the night running con jobs, picking pockets, and stealing cars to fence. It was all for the family or at least thats what she told herself but having found a calling she took some sort of pleasure in her work. Or perhaps it was pride.

Eventually she had heard a story about a rare set of paintings on display in the Portland art museum. She drove there that night and picked the locks, slipping inside the museum in the dead of night. She came upon a painting of the ancient angel Raphael. As she reached out to touch it she felt a psychic message pierce her mind, its calm voice saying "thou shalt not steal". She wasnt sure if she was hallucinating but as she reached for the painting she heard it again, this time her teeth grit even though she paused. "I cant let my family starve. How else can I help them with these skills?" she asked, looking at the painting with pleading eyes. The psychic voice answered with a single word: "Witness" Angel's mind was flooded with visions of the past, present, and future. Visions of the supernatural beings all over the world, the grays, the moth men, restless spirits, esoteric cults, and damned prophecies coming true. Finally there was a set of numbers that flashed before her eyes, boring into her mind and she realized it was a phone number. Once the vision passed she paused again and nodded, it sounded crazy but then here was a painting speaking in her head how much weirder could it get? If only she knew

Outside on the street as people walked by she pulled out her phone and dialed that number as she looked up at the stars. A calm and welcoming voice came on "Hello miss bishop. We've been expecting your call, welcome to the Hoffman Institute." Just as he finished speaking a black unmarked car pulled up, the car door opening as the woman in the passanger seat rolled her window down. "Hello Miss Bishop, we have a position open for you. A large payments already in your account. Lets get you orientated" she said and Angel could not help but join them.

Angel spent the next year at one of the Hoffman institute training facilities honing her skills and learning the proper protocol of the institute. She found out that the painting she encountered was actually an angel that helped the institute in its recruitment, finding qualified people and putting them on the right path and driving the unworthy mad. Now that she has a paycheck coming in shes turned her skills toward hunting down and investigating the supernatural

Concept: Thief

Species: Human

Career: Free Agent

Motivation:

Ability scores:

Strength 8

Dexterity 12

Constitution 8

Intelligence 12

Willpower 10

Perception 10

Skills

Athletics

-Climb 1

-Jump 2

Acrobatics

-Offensive Martial arts 1

-Dodge 2

Manipulation

-Lockpick 1

Ranged weapons

Stealth

-Sneak 1

Vehicle Operation

Stamina

Knowledge

Security

-Devices 1

Awareness

Deception

-Bluff

-Bribe

Interaction

Equipment:

Lockpicks

Grapnel pistol (30 meters of nylon rope)

Night vision goggles

.32 revolver with 5 rounds

Cell phone

Edited by Kuri_kun (see edit history)

Still cant seem to find my last world of darkness book so instead of that Im gonna change gears to a game Ive played and GMed many times. I bring you Scion: Hero 1st edition

Setting: Legends tell of the gods overcoming the titans and imprisoning them in the underworld in a prison called tarturus. The gods did not kill the titans because of the vast enviromental destruction that caused. For example when Thor killed the titan Ymir it caused one of earths ice ages. Back then the titans were at war with themselves as different aspects of their souls fought for control as much as they fought the gods that eventually cast them down. Thousands of years later the many selves of the titans have come together in an uneasy alliance and broken out of tarturus. The gods of the world have taken notice and now are calling on their children to take up the fight as the first line of defense in the real world. You are one such child of a god, born or perhaps adopted by another god, to serve as warriors to overcome the Titan's spawn.

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Kei Matsutemei
God: Amaterasu
Nature: Competitor
Calling: Sumo wrestler

Description: Kei stands a full six feet two inches tall with the heaviest build that anyone might see on a man of his size. His physic is pure muscle having huge biceps, pecks, a six pack on his stomach, and he lacks even an ounce of fat. His deep black hair is kept short and his brown eyes shine with cunning and strength. While his clothes vary he normally wear’s a normal tucked in tee shirt that shows off his chest and abs, dark blue jeans, and shined shoes when around town but likes to change into a traditional Kimono when the environment permits.

Personality: Kei is a competitor and loves to face challenges whether they are in the ring or otherwise. Beyond that he has an intense sense of justice and will not turn away from wrong doing no matter what the cost and he deeply loves his country and his sport.

Background: Twenty years ago Amaterasu decided that it was time to bring another child into the world that would bolster Japan’s population. She chose her mate carefully who was a Japanese businessman by the name of Kouto Matsutemei and she took on the guise of a photographer for one of Japan’s most prominent newspapers. The two hit it off quite well and after a short lived romance Amateresu found herself pregnant and left the man heartbroken at her disappearance.

When she had Kei she left him with a good middle class family that was looking for a child and once every month she would stop in to see how her boy was growing up, each time posing as the same photographer. She never kept the fact that she was Kei’s mother from him but did keep her real identity a secret. Kei grew up as a normal enough kid who was average in much at his life but he had a special flair with women and took to martial arts very well. Many times in his high school and junior high school he walked away with championship awards in Kendo, Tai Kwan do, and Sumo wrestling. When he graduated from High school he decided not to go into college and instead joined a Sumo stable to become a professional athlete. His career only took off from there.

Kei is likely the greatest competitor that the world has never heard of. He has entered the ring dozen’s of times and fought the best of the best but he remains undefeated and even more amazingly has pinned every opponent he ever came across. Kei was living the high life, having fame, money, and women. Just about everything he could ask for and then the Titan’s broke out and messed everything up.

Amaterasu was quick to visit her son once again, taking the initiative rather then letting the Titan’s discover him first. On a visit to his home she whisked Kei away to her home in the Overworld where she explained the situation and asked him to continue to be a man who promoted Japan as well as to become a first line of defense against the Titan’s and their spawn. He readily agreed and his mother gifted him with his birthrights before sending him back to the stable. There he packed his things and said his goodbyes to friends and his master before heading out to do his part for the world.

Abilities

Strength 5     Charisma 3         Perception 2
Dexterity 2    Manipulation 2     Intelligence 2
Stamina 4      Appearance 4       Wits 3

Epic Strength 2

Epic Dexterity 1

Epic Stamina 2

Epic Charisma 1
Epic Appearance 1

Skills

Academics 1
Animal Ken
Art*
Athletics 3
Awareness* 2
Brawl 5
Command
Control

Craft* (Origami) 2
Empathy* 2
Fortitude 2
Integrity* 2

Investigation 1
Larceny
Marksmanship
Medicine 2

Melee 1
occult 2
Politics 1
Presence* 3
Science (Anatomy) 1
Stealth 1
Survival 1
Thrown

*notes a favored ability

Birthrights
Relic 1 (Jade bead necklace)

Relic 2 (Green thumb gloves)

Guide 2 (Wakeen Utametsi)

Knacks
Uplifting might (Strength)

Crushing grip (Strength)

Cat’s grace (Dexterity)

Self-healing (Stamina)

Damage conversion (Stamina)

Inspirational figure(Charisma)

Serpent’s gaze (Appearance)

Boons
Penetrating glare (Sun)

Divine radiance (Sun)

The wakeful spirit (Tsukumo-Gami)

The watchful spirit (Tsukumo-Gami)

Virtues
Endurance 2
Intellect 2
Duty 2
Valor 3

Willpower 5
Legend 3
Legend points 9/9
Soak 6b 4L 2A
Health levels

Dodge DV:

0  []
0 [][]
0 [][]
-2 []
I  []

Experience
Experience spent

Bonus points
Legend 3 = 7

Brawl 4 = 2

Brawl 5 = 2

Divine radiance boon = 4

Jade bead necklace (1 dot)

This bead was taken from Amaterasu’s personal necklace and hung on a single small silver chain before being enchanted with her power of the sun, its light, and its warmth.

-access to the sun purview

Green thumb gloves (2 dot)

These silk fingerless gloves were sewn and enchanted by Amaterasu herself. They are a green silk color with a sun setting design on the palms. Many people simply mistake them for weightlifting gloves

-Access to the fertility purview

Special power: These gloves allow Kei to parry lethal attacks barehanded and without a stunt

Wakeen Utametsi (2 dot)

Wakeen is an elderly gentleman who runs the Ishito Sumo stable that Kei trained in. Beyond his sumo ability he also spends a great deal of time in the world of finance and has taken up history and poetry as a mental pursuit. He has a great deal of respect for Kei and will do everything he can to help the young man

Still cant find my giest: Sin eaters book so Im gonna move on to the digital books. Lets start out with a setting that is near and dear to my heart. Warhammer 40k or specifically Dark hersey

Setting: In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium there is only war. That is the tagline for a really cool IP and wargame (I play necrons). Specifically for Dark heresy you are an agent of an inquisitor sent out to investigate acts of heresy against he Imperium of man. This takes you to far off worlds where you may defend settlements, route out demon worshiping cults, uncover archeotech, and engage in brutal violence against the enemies of mankind. It is a deep, unapologetic, and grim setting of ultra violence and some of the greatest villains and villianous groups ever conceived.

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Lethaniel Coriscan

Background: Lethaniel grew up on a far off space station so far into deep space that the Emperors light was but a flicker in the vast darkness of space. His mother and father were a pair of space walkers going out into the black to make daily repairs on the station until one day when he was but 14 they didnt come back. As a teenager Lethaniel applied to the stations militia but was denied service due to his poor health and lack of strength. It was around this time that he began to develop signs of something beyond human. He could hear whispers in the darkness, hear the thoughts of those around him, and feel the energy of the warp surging through his mind and body. He knew what would happen should he ignore it or worse try to flee the empire's judgement. He was a psyker and he held his head high as he turned himself in and even more so when the black ships came to take him away.

He does not know where he was taken but the bald women took him into the deepest pits with no sunlight for over a year as they tested him over and over and over again. In the darkness he was put through unimaginable torture both physical and mental and at times forcing him to break down into tears as he suffered from malnutrition and dehydration, at times wishing he could die but he knew that would be to easy. The Emperor of mankind did not suffer weaklings so every time he was asked the question "Who do you serve" he would stare them in the eye, grit his teeth, and say with confidence "The Emperor of mankind and humanity!" The question came a hundred times over that year and with every answer he grew more determined. It would have been so easy to give up, to break down and beg for death, but Lethaniel would let no one call him a traitor, he would endure until he proved his loyalty or died trying.

One day as he lay beaten and bruised within and inch of his life one of the women came to his cell and removed his shackles, ordering him to stand and follow. He thoguht this another test, another torture to endure, as he stood, limping behind her as he followed only to be lead to the exit. As he walked out into the sunlight for the first time in a year he felt its warmth and was pronounced a loyal and sanctioned psyker of the imperium of man. Soon he was inducted into the inquisition and has begun to serve mankind with his unique powers

Home world: Void Born

Career: Imperial Psyker

Fate Points: 2

Wounds: 6

Income: 54

Weapon skill 32

Ballistic skill 33

Strength 21

Toughness 39

Agility 29

Intelligence 29

Perception 31

Willpower 48

Fellowship 39

Traits

Charmed

Ill-ommened

Shipwise

Void Accustomed

Sanctioned Psyker (Ocular Rupture)

Skills

Speak language (ship Dialect)(Int)

Speak Language (Low Gothic)(Int)

Psynicscience(Per)

Invocation(WP)

Trade (Merchant)

Trade (Soothsayer)

Literacy (Int)

Forbidden Lore (the warp)

Scholastic Lore (the occult)

Talents

Hatred (Demons)

Melee Weapon training (primitive)

Pistol weapon training (Las)

Psy rating 1

Psychic powers

Healer

Dull pain

Torch

Fearful Aura

Cybernetics

Cybernetic senses (Common quality)

Equipment

Sword

Las Pistol 1 charge pack

Knife (psykana mercy blade)

Quilted vest

Tatty robe (poor quality clothing)

Book of imperial saints

Psy focus sanctioning brand

Experience

Experience spent 400

Forbidden Lore (the warp) 100 xp

Scholastic Lore (the occult) 100 xp

Hatred (Demons) 100 xp

Simple willpower increase 100 xp

After Dark Heresy I figured Ild do the natural thing and move over to rogue trader

Setting: Warhammer 40k again but this time rather then playing an agent of the inquisition you play as a rogue trader. You are a member of a proud family line of merchant princes traveling the galaxy. Empowered by a legal document called an imperial writ of trade your characters are part merchant, explorer, and warrior all together. Traveling the unexplored or forgotten areas of the galaxy to find and plunder resources for the imperium of man, to uncover lost human colonies, and do battle with aliens and otherworldy dangers that threaten you and all of mankind.

Show this

Name: Saydon El Rhomiel

Personality: Inquisitive, perceptive, and intelligent Saydon is a man who has had his destiny laid out before him with no chance to make his own will known, much like a great deal of humanity but rather then shirk from his duty he has embraced it. He has a personal philosophy of self perfection and hes knows he is special because he is but one of a very few humans with the navigator gene. Yet he does not let that fact cloud his judgement as he wants to become a legend to be remembered for eons to come. When people talk of navigators he wants them to remember his face first and foremost

Background: Saydon was born into fine silks and glamorous golden lined chambers in the lap of luxury that few members of the imperium can ever hope to see and he hated every moment of it. Having been born into a long family line of Navigators that some theorized was older then the imperium itself he had his life laid out before he was even born. His family no matter how distant set expectations upon him that his bloodline would see him through all his trials and tribulations until he eventually was assigned to a ship. None ever gave him the respect he really deserved, few even seeing him as a human being and just another cog in the machine of the imperium.

Saydon developed a sense of pride in himself and he doubled down and studied as hard as he could. Choking through the restraints of his luxury lifestyle he soon found himself hating it so much he began to forgo the luxury of his family. Sleeping on the cold metal deck plating of his room with no blankets, he only ate the smallest of meals, and when he was not in his famalies fancy schools he was training himself behind closed doors. Seeking nothing short of self perfection, if he was going to be forced to be a navigator then his name would become legend and he would be held up in history as the greatest navigator to ever travel the stars.

Home world: Void Born

Career: Navigator

Birthright: Savant

Lure of the void: Duty bound

Trials and Trevails: Press Ganged

Motivation: Pride

Profit Factor: 20

Ship points: 70

Fate Points: 4

Wounds: 7

Weapon skill 30

Ballistic skill 40

Strength 26

Toughness 36

Agility 34

Intelligence 43

Perception 47

Willpower 54

Fellowship 47

Traits

Chamred

Ill-ommened

Void Accustomed

Skills

Awareness (Per)

Common Lore (Navis Nobilite) (Int)

Common Lore (Imperial Navy) (Int)

Forbidden Lore (Navigators) (Int)

Forbidden Lore (The Warp) (Int)

Literacy (Int)

Logic (Int)

Navigation (Steller) (Int)

Navigation (The Warp) (Int)

Psyniscience (Per)

Scholastic Lore (astronomy) (int)

Secret tongue (Navigators) (Int)

Speak Language (High Gothic) (Int)

Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int)

Speak Language (Ship dialect) (Int)

Talents

Armor of contempt

Navigator

Pistol Training (Universal)

Resistance (Fear)

Equipment

Hell pistol (best craftmanship)

Metal Staff (Best Craftmanship)

Xeno-mesh armor (Best craftmanship)

Emperor’s tarot deck

silk headscarf

Nobilite robes

charm

micro-bead

Ancestral Seal: A potent and respected mark of power once held, passed down through a family even after their scions have long departed the vaults of Imperial rulership. You gain a +10% bonus to all Interaction Skill Tests when displaying the seal and dealing with Imperial citizens or organisations.

Ship

Lunar class Cruiser (60 ship points)

Complications: A Nose for Trouble: Something about this ship quivers at the thought of battle, always probing the cosmos for a new victim. Add +5 to the ship’s Detection, and reduce this ship’s Armour by 1, due to its many battles. Occasionally, the crew may find themselves in fights they might have preferred to avoid.

Past Histories: Turbulent Past: Over the years this ship has been used to perform deeds dastardly to some and heroic to others. The GM selects a social group (pirates, heretics, the Imperial Navy, the Inquisition, or inhabitants of an important locale like Footfall). All ship’s crew suffer a –20 to social Skill Tests when interacting with that group. The GM then selects a second group naturally opposed to the first. All ship’s crew gain +20 to social Skills when interacting with that group. The additional problems that could arise from being hated by a particular group of people are limitless.

Experience

Experience spent

Secret tongue (Navigators) 100 xp

Awareness 100 xp

Perception advance simple (+5 perception) 100 xp

Resistance (Fear) 200 xp

We go one final time into a grim darkness of warhammer 40k with Wrath and Glory the only system that allows me to play an ork, perhaps one day Ill get a TTRPG where I can play some necrons. Seriously I think it would be so much fun to put say a Lord, lychguard, Immortal, Praetorian, and cryptek as classes. Ive never gotten to play or GM Wrath and glory but perhaps one day. Although I find Rogue trader and Dark heresy infinitely more interesting

Setting: Warhammer 40k again. Unlike Dark heresy or Rogue trader Wrath and Glory allows you to play different factions as well as the imperium of man. It also allows for the super powerful warriors like the space marines. There are 4 different Tiers of play each one representing a bigger enemy and campaign. The first is small and more survival focused, while the 4th represents a massive armed invasion.

At first I was going to make an ork because I really like orks but I didnt feel like there was a story there so I changed gears to my favorite imperial punching bags, the Raven guard space marines. I love fighting these guys in table top wargame because they always keep things interesting with their constant versatility and adaptability and I felt like Gon here had a good story.

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Gon Lissiler

Background: It is the eve of battle and I stand shoulder to shoulder with my battle brothers. We are quiet as befits our chapter as quiet contemplation and chants echo in the chamber but my mind is not on the future of battle but on the past. I remember the day back on Deliverance, my home world. As my brother and I hiked through the mountains as we hunted the prey, hoping to bring back a beast to help feed our family. As we came to the highest peak and looked out over the valley my brother Jon kept his stance low and pointed down into the valley at our prey, a huge brush cat that could feed us for days. I commented on his stance and noted his smile as he said he had practiced for one day he would use those skills when he joined the sky warriors. He always said that one day he would join those angels in black, blessed by the emperor and I had no doubts that he would one day stand above us all and ascend with the sky warriors to become an angel and to fight in the emperors name.

We walked down the path and we both held a las rifle at the ready and I stopped at the edge looking out for our prey. Then the ground gave way and I began to fall. I knew I was about to die, to fall down that cliff and they would find my body broken upon the stones and yet that fate did not befall me as in the last moment Jon pulled me back from the brink, taking my place in the fall. I remember his face in those last moments, so content and at peace for the trade he had made. To give his life to save mine. He knew what he was doing and he had no regrets but I did, I had robbed him of his dream. I hiked down the peaks and carried his broken body back to my family and we buried him under a cairn outside the agrifarm.

I remembered that the last thing he said was that he would join the sky warriors. His dream had to be achieved no matter the cost and I chose to take his place. Before I lost my brother I thought a peaceful life as an agrifarmer was all I would ever want out of life, but now I had a greater purpose. That night I packed my things and told my parents my plan to join the sky warriors. My mother wept for to her it meant she had lost both her boys and my father gave me a curt and affirming nod and only said "I love you". They watched me leave in the night for the time of the proving drew nigh.

I arrived at those proving grounds a week later. I was younger, smaller, weaker, and less cunning then all the other candidates but I had something they didnt have, couldnt have, determination. Over three hundred of us in total and we were pitted against each other in brutal battles. It was the first time I killed another man but I had to see Jon's dream come true, I had to. I fought my way through those bloody fights only to face trials of endurance of body, then the black armored warriors to test the resiliance of our minds as their psykers showed us our greatest fears. Perhaps the greatest of test was not knowing when the tests would end for they seemed to go on forever. It was nothing less then harrowing. In the end fifty of us were taken into the sky warriors, the Raven guard, to go through the process of becoming an adeptus astartes. I remember the surgeries well as they cut me open like a fish and implanted the gene-seed and new organs into my body. The pain was indescribable but I endured where more of us died. Of the fifty warriors taken only thirty of us survived the process as our muscles swelled, our bodies grew, and we became the emperors angels of death.

That was 200 years ago. I spent my first few years as a scout and sniper, a job I excelled at and then I took my place on the gunline. Using my bolter and blade to indiscriminately kill the enemies that would harm my people. Now they have just given me another promotion, as a tactical space marine.

I hear the alarms sound as we are seconds away from dropping onto our target, a supply depot that we will raid to remove our enemies ability to fight when the real battle comes. As I murder every one of these rebels I dedicate their deaths to the emperor but also to you my brother. I will cleanse the stars so that humanity will no longer have anything to fear that is my promise to you!

Archetype: Tactical Space Marine (Raven Guard)

Rank 1

Physical Traits

Defense 3

Resilience 6

Wounds 11

Determination 4

Shock 6

Mental traits

Corruption 0

Conviction 3

Resolve 3

Passive awareness 2

Socal Traits

Influence 2

Wealth 3

Attributes

Agility 5

Initiative 5

Intellect 3

Strength 4

Toughness 5

Willpower 3

Skills

Athletics 3

Awareness 3

Ballistic skill 3

Stealth 3

Weapon skill 3

Talents

Blindfighter

Special abilities

Archetype ability: Tactical Versatility. Your training has prepared you for any circumstance. When you make a Critical Hit you may roll twice on the Critical Hit
Table and choose either result.

Defender of Humanity: Add +3 Icons to any successful attack against a Mob.

Honour the Chapter: You are subject to the orders of your chapter master, and must honour the beliefs and traditions of your chapter. Your Resolve increases by +1

Space Marine Implants: You are immune to the Bleeding Condition. You gain +1 bonus dice to any test related to one of the 19 implants (p.75) if the GM agrees it
is appropriate.

Wargear

Aquila Mk VII Power Armour

Boltgun

Bolt Pistol

Astartes Combat Knife

3 Frag Grenades

3 Krak Grenades

XP spent: 297

So a couple years ago one of my RL players comes up to me and tells me they want to do a steampunk game and I was at a loss for I knew of no steampunk styled RPGs without doing some major adapting for Pathfinder and I just wasnt up for that at the time. That aside Steampunks also a setting Ive never really dealt with and had very little exposure to. So I started doing some research on various systems and it was like it was meant to be when I logged onto Drivethru RPG and I found Vulcania in the daily deals menu. It was a short campaign (i want to say 5 sessions) but I had a lot of fun with the setting

Setting: Set around several large archepeligo's of volcanic origin Vulcania is a world of steampunk secrets and adventure. Its a game with pretty good worldbuilding too. Each of the six seperate counties has their own draw from real world history and given an interesting twist where each one makes sense in the context of the world and it allows for a large number of diverse characters from a racial backgrounds but also has even more diversity from a skills perspective when one looks into the past experiences of each character and there are even some region specific past experiences. Overall its a pretty cool setting and I would love to play or GM for it again

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Rasputan Vas Leqiudos

Background: Rasputan was born as the youngest son to Edymion Vas Lequidos a famed instructor within the Monopoly of engineers and one time airship captain. His mother was Lady Emilia Vas Lequidos an heiress to a major exporting company known for hauling cargo all over the islenations. As early as he can remember Rasputan has been interested in technology, having memories as far back as four years old when he sat upon his grandfathers knee as his grandfather explained how a pocket watch worked.

Showing signs of extreme intelligence he took an interest in technology early in his life and while his siblings were reading story books he was reading technical manuals. This endered him to his entire family as he came from a long line of airship captains, engineers and adventurers. He grew into a young man eventually studying with the Monopoly of engineers for years and graduating with honors.

He eventually returned to the family business, using his skills to help maintain the companies airships and other technological items. However on a trip to Abrabazem to deliver humanitarian supplies they were intercepted by sky pirates. A fierce battle over the skies that brought both ships down into a wasteland. Following his lead Rasputan lead the crew away from the crash sight over the hills, through the wastelands, while fighting the remaining pirates and dangerous wildlife till they made the trek to the nearest settlement.

Since getting a taste of the many adventurers out there he has taken it upon himself to go out into the world as a private contractor as who knows what kind of adventures he and his companions might find all over the Islenations of Vulcania

Origin: Ittegasp

Past Experiences: Engineer

Vice: Gambling

Special Trait: Brilliant Mind

Attributes

Stamina 1

Dexterity 2

Mind 3

Magnetism 2

Stamina Skills

Athletics 1(1+0)

Brawl 1(1+0)

Strength 1(1+0)

Resistance 1(1+0)

Dexterity skills

Agility 3 (2+1)

Stealth 2 (2+0)

Handicraft 5 (2+3)

Reflexes 2 (2+0)

Mind Skills

Analysis 5 (3+2)

Insight 5 (3+2)

Senses 4 (3+1)

Discipline 4 (3+1)

Magnetism skills

Charm 3 (2+1)

Cunning 3 (2+1)

Aggression 2 (2+0)

Luck 3 (2+1)

Arts: Meccanicus, Tecnicus

Defenses

Dodge 0

Evade 1

Initiative 1

Movement 4

Wounds 3

Equipment

Sesterzii $20

Knife

Revolver

Gizmos (harpago)

So today Im going to talk about a game that I just dont like. I suspect Ive just had a really bad experience with it because Ive listened/read reviews for it and most people call it awesome but as Ive done more investigation I dont see much redeeming value. That game is traveler, specifically traveler 2nd edition by mongooose publishing. So why dont I like the game? Well a few years back we had a traveler game show up here on Mythweavers and I applied to it, I rolled up a character which uses a life path system (if you recall what I said in twilight 2000 I dislike life path systems because it takes a lot of choice away from the player) and I ended up making a Psion character which I was really excited about. I love psychic characters. Anyway the GM utterly ignored my questions like I didnt exist and I dont even know if the game ever got off the ground as I left it. So yeah not a first good impression, this return to traveler did not endear itself to me further because it goes against my ideas of why we make characters. To me characters like heros of old are supposed to be larger then life and a way to inspire us to be more then we are. Traveler is anti-creative to me because it takes away a reason to write a character when you have a set of rolls doing all the work for you. If you're ok with that its fine but for me it takes away a key part of what makes making characters fun. The only saving grace for me about this character generation system is mongoose publishing has created an online tool where it can be done quickly and without a lot of headache. You go in it does your rolls, you make what little choices you have, and boom character done in 5 minutes

Aside from the bad character creation I have to talk setting for just a bit. The setting is as generic as it possibly can be, revolving around an Imperium of planets. Humanity got out to the stars ready to explore everything and met some other races, alliances were formed, and now theres a big Imperium as a form of government. I said before that Alternity had a really bland setting because it was designed to cover vast swaths of different time periods but it had some character with its various alien races that actually felt alien. Traveler is worse. I looked up the original publishing date and its 1977 so this may be a case of it being from another time but I remember greyhawk having a setting which is just as old if not older. I just feel like after 40 years they couldve done something with this to make it a little interesting (and yes Im aware that this particular edition came out in 2016).

Show this

spacer.png

Travaler character

Name: Dr. Nasir Amin

Background: Nasir was born on mars in a small mining town called Black rock. An immigrant from old earth his family had moved there because of collapsing economic conditions and troubling revelutions being whispered about in shadowy corners. Nasir grew up a bright kid and excelled in science taking an early interset in Anatomy and life sciences. At the young age of nineteen with the help of his extended family they all pitched in to help Nasir go to Gregoria one of the greatest martian universities with a reputation for grooming young scientists and scholars. There he began his studies and earned a bachelors degree in botany and xenobiology. At the young age of twenty two he continued his academic career with one of the major exploratory companies called Venn's Colonizing pushing about the fringes of known space to find homes and resources for the highest bidders. From the safety of mars he saw plenty of schematics, scans, and guided some live autopsies of alien flora and fauna making good money as a scholar and expert in his field. He sent money home to his still struggling family often as well as writes about his experiences knowing many of them are still slaving away in the mines.

At 26 years old he began joining the companies incursions into the unknown and wrote several papers, and a massive dissertation about his experiences on the fringes of space but he also got a taste of what it was like to be on planet discovering new life forms unintelligent or otherwise. In this time he earned his doctorate in formal education making him one of the most knowledgable and experienced Xenobiologists in the entire imperium.

At the age of 30 Nasir was riding high on his academics and experience having become a major player within the xenobiology community. Being hired left and right for consultations as well as headhunters trying to snipe him away from his company. However he was also wanting something more to be less then an academic expert and more of a field researcher. When he met a ship captain seeking someone of his skills and offered him a place on his crew complete with benefits, a cut of the profits, and more chances to get out in the galaxy as well as countless adventures Nasir was ready to jump at the offer and has just packed his things, ready to head out into the black and explore what was really out there

Alright so I got it off my chest last time that I just dont like traveler and this next ones not going to be much better. Next Im going to talk about a game that I have not played or GMed yet though some of my players have expressed some interest in trying it. I have the pdf because it was a gift from my now ex-girlfriend for my birthday last year and Ive read it I think 3 times now. I know the group surrounding it is quite popular but this RPG in my hands I have very mixed opinions on and those opinions are in no way about the group that created it but rather the work itself and how it functions as a TTRPG. So whats the game? Its called Candala Obscura

Setting: Candala Obscura is a horror themed mystery RPG where a group of characters that are part of a secret society investigate the supernatural. Set in a time period thats the equivilent of the roaring 20s. In practice I feel like thematically speaking Candala Obscura is very much like Call of Cthulhu. Warning Im going to go on a bit of a rant here skip to the character if you dont want to hear it. That thematic similarity is wierd to me because when it talks about "touchstones" where they drew inspiration to create the game call of Cthulhu and/or any works by HP lovecraft or other authors of weird fiction are conspicuously missing. CO fails to even mention its main inspiration as inspiration. Im a man that believes in giving credit where credit is due whether negative or positive and it didnt give any credit at all. I want to talk about this and a lot of other bizarre choices in the books that lead into political idealogy but I digress, lets move on.

The Fairelands of Candala Obscura is an interesting place and Im sure the main place most players will play in is the capital city of Newfaire but if you want more rural locations there is a plethora to pick from allowing for a huge variety of locations to have adventures in. Every named location has a sense of, for lack of a better word, whimsy. Almost like the author was trying to play with us as they introduced places around the setting and I really like that. It gives the setting some character. Like world of darkness and Call of Cthulhu the supernatural exists but most people dont believe in it or explain it away. Overall I like the setting its got some real character to it which is important to differentiate yourself form similar games

What I dont like is how the game works and most of my complaints are from a GMs perspective. I think I need to play the game first before I can give a comprehensive view on the games system but to boil down my main criticism to its finest point as far as I can tell, by my reading of the rules, there is no way anything can happen to the PCs without them doing something, succeeding at something, or failing to do something. Say for example the PCs are investigating a monster thats been seen in the country as a GM I cant have that monster ambush and attack them because there are literally no rules for that. The PCs can only incure damage if they fail their own skill checks. Again it is a bizarre system that leaves much to be desired and ultimately Im not sure how I feel about it. Theres some really cool ideas (some I didnt touch on) but theres also some truly bizarre ones

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Mikhail Osbourne

Background: Mikhail was born to a politcal family with his father being a city councilman and his mother a court judge. He grew up with wealth and comfort all his life and at a young age he was gifted a state of the art camera. The young man quickly became a shutterbug always taking pictures on family outings, when friends came over to play, or when joined his parents at political gatherings. He was always a bright child scoring well in school and as he grew into a teenager he eventually got involved with sports and the schools newspaper. He spent his entire high school term as a school jounalist learning how to ask questions and pry information from people, only to turn it into interesting stories

Around the time of his graduation he noticed a change in his father and mother, as well as saw the famalies finances falling. It was at this time that his father began truely grooming him for the political arena but Mikhail could never let his jounalist side go. He began digging into the famalies finnances, asking servants uncomfortable questions, and follow the strange men that met with his folks every month. In the end he uncovered a criminal conspiriacy and found these criminals were exporting money from the family. He tried to go to the police but was met with incompetance, corruption, or apathy at every turn. Rather then let things stand at they were Mikhail dug even deeper into the criminals, learning everything he could from as many sources as possible and after a long two year investigation he had learned all he could. Their identities, their businesses, their supply routes, their cooked books, how the evaded police, and who they were paying off.

Within a few weeks he had written a massive article, using the schools equipment to print hundreds of copies, and payed street urchins to go out and sell those papers. Overnight with little more then a pen and paper Mikhail had toppled a criminal empire as the government was forced to crack down on all levels of corruption where corrupt police, political officials, and more were sent to prison while the victims were able to find relief.

Since that day Mikhail has been a famous reporter in the city of Newfaire and works as a freelance reporter having press passes for a number of papers and news outlets. Mikhail continued writing eschewing his famalies plans for him in the political arena and it was not long after he was inducted into the secret society called Candala Obscura

Role: Face(Journalist)

Nerve (Drives 2)

Move

Strike

Control

Cunning (Drives 4 Resistance 1)

Sway 2

Read 2

Hide 1

Intuation (Drives 3 Resistance 1)

Survey* 2

Focus 1

Sense 1

*Notes a gilded action

Abilities

Sweet Talk: You know how to work the room. After you make small talk with someone, you may add +1d on any Read rolls you make in which they are the target. If your current Cunning resistance is 2 or higher, that die is gilded.

Insider Access: Your line of work offers you special privileges. Once per assignment, automatically gain access to an important person or place by using the Press Credentials gear.

So were gonna talk about another cosmic horroresque game that you may or may not have heard of. The old Gods of Appalachai which is an adaptation of a really good podcast of the same name (or so Ive heard Im gonna check it out when I get some time). Set in an alternate timeline in the early 1900s with the poor and downtrodden people who have immigrated and survived in the mountain range for years. Its a game about uncovering and dealing with supernatural beings beyond our understanding but where Call of Cthulhu is often about globe trotting adventures Old gods of Appalachai takes a more nuanced approach with a people that dont have a lot of resources and are just trying to get by. I have one major criticism about it and thats that there are no rules, setting info, or even mention of native american tribes. When I first began to read the book I thought it would be cool to play a medicine man kind of character but the book focuses wholly on the small communities of non-natives. I feel like thats a missed opportunity because there were many tribes who were very active in that area during this time period. You could say "alternate timeline" and assume that fixes the oversight but that doesnt sit right with me and it bothered me enough that I wanted to mention it. If there is an errata, setting book, or something else that addresses my criticism then I am unaware of its existence

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Issac Oarth

Background: Born just eighteen years ago as the oldest of two boys and two girls Issac has always been a mountain of a man. His father Oren and Mother Loretta owned a small diary farm tucked into the mountains that had been in their family since his ancestors immigrated from norway. Being a catholic family they were outsiders from a religious perspective though often viewed as cousins of similar beliefs by the more christian oriented families. Issac grew up on the farm and learned how to feed, breed, milk, and butcher cows from a young age and their small chicken farm was his personal pet project as he grew into a teeanger.

Being a handsome and strapping lad he had the eyes and ears of many of the girls in the community and people quickly found that he was a gentleman that earned the effections of women easily. Before he was eighteen he had seriously dated four different girls in as many years. It was Sally May Macintire that had truely captured his heart in the end at the age of sixteen he was asking for her hand in marriage, something her family did not agree with. The Macintire's would not recognize such a union with Issac having nothing of his own and his father challenged him to make something of himself before he would give his daughter away.

Issac agreed and since it would be decades before his parents were ready to retire he instead turned to the nearby coal mines for work. Over two years he skimped and saved, while living back at home with his folks and siblings and still helping out around the farm. Eventually Issac was able to buy a small plot of land and after more skimping and saving, and some help from his family, he built a four bedroom house on his land with a small garden and chicken farm. He returned head held high and asked for Sally May's hand in marriage once again and no one could deny him. In autumn under the golden leaves on his land he married his wife and within the first six months his first child was on the way. Every morning he would get up, cook breakfast for his wife, tend the chickens, and then leave for a long day in the mines, only to return home and revel in marital bliss. On Sundays he would go to church with Sally May on his arm, visit with his parents and siblings, and share in a sunday dinner at his folks home

Issac has truly lived a blessed life built with hard work and determination, at least till he and Sally May began to see strange lights in the woods...

Concept: A Hardy Miner who protects what matters

Type: Protector

Attribute/edge

Might 18/1

Intellect 10/0

Speed 10/0

Effort 1

Skills

Initiative tasks (Trained)

Intellect Defense (Specialized)

Might Defense (Trained)

Mining (trained)

Running (Trained

Swimming (Trained)

Abilities

Just a scratch

Danger sense

Physical skills (Running, Swimming)

Weapon Wielding

Community activist

Equipment

$2

Clothing

Lantern

Thermos

Rope, 50 feet

Compass

Travel Pack

Shotgun (12 rounds)

Miners pick

Pathfinder 1st edition has always been my greatest love for fantasy settings but it is not the only game Ive ever played or ever will play for the fantasy theme. Another one that I really like is Ironsworn a dark fantasy themed game where there are no massive cities or vast empires. The setting is small, down to earth, and intimate. Looking at the artwork you might think it is a heavily nordic realm of vikingesque warriors in snowy lands. However the people are heavily diverse because the lands they inhabit have just recently been colonized and I love seeing a reason for high diversity that makes sense in the world. Villages rarely number more then a dozen famalies and money is almost unheard of as the culture's economy works on a barter system. As an ironsworn you have made an oath to do something, to serve someone, or perhaps to destroy something. The oath is what empowers you, it is a promise to the old gods and while you can forsake your oath it is seen as the worst kind of failure.

The game goes out of its way to tell you to make an awesome character, a highly competant adventurer, who has made vows that drive them to complete their personal quests or the quests of others. If you choose you can play as a simple peasant that becomes a great adventurer but I eschew that style of play. They should be larger then life. However I do have some criticisms, for one the pdf badly needs to be reedited as some of the info is all over the place and also some info isnt even in the core Pdf like equipment and assets so you have to look for it. That said to be fair you can get the core PDF for free

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Tallus Qestil

Background: I remember the journey to the Ironisles though I was just a child at that time. The sweet salty air, the bitter cold winds, my people like a ship without a rudder. I do not know why my people left the homeland only that our people were seeking freedom. We sailed the stormy waves for months before someone finally called "Land ho!" They came upon the snowy peaks and dense forest of our villages home and we called it the Shadowhall.

I grew from a small boy into a man learning to sail the high seas and fish our vast catches and my father groomed me and my borther Torgul to be warriors like him, one of the few town guards and hunters of dangerous wildlife. Our only defense against the wilds was my overpowering offense and Torgul's peerless tactics. Bears, packs of wolves, sharks, the massive trap door spiders, and the great avian's we called Thunderbirds were our only real dangers. Sometimes a young couple looking for some private time would disappear, sometimes we would find the desicated body of a small child, sometimes you find a small flock of livestock torn through by some huge animal. Life was hard on the frontier but we endured. We carved out a place in these woods and slowly Shadowhall grew into a true town. Our walls were high and thick, our warriors well trained to hunt and kill, our tradesmen talented, and our fishermen became sailors of legend.

Our village was prospering when I met Olga, my soulmate and lover. I recall the day I pulled into port with the boat as her long blond hair flowed wildly with the sea's winds. A storm was coming and the salt in the air was especially fierce but I instead caught the hint of lavender upon her. Lavender, my favorite flower. I approached her and asked her to join me for dinner that night after my patrol. She agreed though she was shocked when I returned wounded, assaulted by a pack of wolves and nearly on deaths door, carried by my brother. Im told there was blood everywhere. My precious Olga, a talented herbalist and healer in her own right, sat by my bedside for days until I finally woke, refusing to leave my side. I woke to see her face over me and her first words were that I missed our date. A fact I could only laugh weekly at before apologizing. We both fell in love at that moment and life seemed perfect.

Perfect, until she came. A great serpent with wings of fire rose from the volcano at the center of our islands home and it drew down on us with the fury of nature. Its breath blew open our gates with force and fury and the fires spread quickly. Its claws sliced our warriors in twain as a scythe to grain. It was the first time I saw a dragon and its terrible majesty still haunts me now as it murdered my people and burned our village to the ground. I heard her name as if in my mind: Velisthaturval. Flame and destruction incarnate that would rival the old gods. As she flew away I saw my father, bloodied and cut in twain, barely able to speak as I found him in the carnage and held him tight against my breast. He begged me to save who I could he begged me to promise him I would end this terror. I nodded as I took my sword in hand holding it aloft I made my first vow to the golds of old. I knew that as I was, I was to weak to face such a force of nature, but one day. One day I would slay the dragon. It would be my calling in life as I searched the world to find weapons, armor, magic, tactics, training, and allies in my quest. That moment I became an Ironsworn and with the old gods as my witness nothing will stop me from fulfilling my quest!

Health: [][][][][]

Spirit: [][][][][]

Supply: [][][][][]

Stats

Edge 2

Heart 2

Iron 3

Shadow 1

Wits1

Momentum: [x][x][][][][][][][][]

Assets

Olga Sorris(Herbalist companion)

Comunion (Ritual)

Slayer (Path)

Vows

To slay the dragon Velisthaturval (Epic)

To save as many survivors of Shadowhall as possible (Dangerous)

Bonds

Shadowhall 1

Torgul Qestil (Brother)1

Olga Sorris (Lover) 1

Equipment

Bastard sword

Heavy iron armor

So todays a special one for me, we get to talk about a game Ive had for a few years and got on a daily deal at Drivethrurpg but also a game I did a year long political campaign with and had tons of fun. One day I will revisit it but its hard finding players for this one as its just as not well known. More then that though it made me ask a lot of existential questions and for me that is the mark of an interesting game. That game is Black Void

Setting: Ignorance is bliss and humanity was in complete bliss in its ignorance at the vast cosmos beyond our world. In the days when babylon was the greatest of our cities the void came. Its blackened mist swallowing the skies as tendrils of misty blackness descended upon our world and humanity was sucked up into the hungry void. Earth was gone. Lost, perhaps destroyed, perhaps...changed. Whatever the answer our home was gone and those that survived traversed the void eventually coming to the center of all creation: The city of Llyhn. Years later you exist in a time and place where humanity is on the brink of extinction. With no homeworld and no colonies we only have 3 small but independent communities with their own philosophies that exist in the city and our race is a race of refugee's as we exist beside eerie beings from distant worlds, bizarre sapient entities, and otherworldly Daimons from beyond the Veil. We exist in dirty alleys and shanties while looking up at the opulent alien palaces beyond shadowy looming walls. We are at the bottom of Llyhn's hierarchy but we have one thing left to us. Hope. Hope that one day we might find a new homeworld. Hope that someone might raise humanity up in Llyhn's esoteric heirarchy.

Its a game that asks hard but interesting questions. What are we and what is our place in this unfamiliar cosmos? What is humanity when it has lost everything? Where do we go from here? It is a game that is strange, terrifying, and beautiful in equal measure

Show this

Name: Rash'iek

Description: Rash'iek stands a full six foot tall and has a simultaneously skinny and athletic build. His body is ever shifting as parts of him are covered in what look like black swirling tattoos that move with a mind of their own. His original body when these tattoos do not cover him appear and show a man that has spent years in study but when the shadowy blackness covers his skin its form changes to one of a natural athlete. Being in constant flux his body never looks the same from a few moments before, sometimes entire limbs or half of his face disappearing into the black before they return a few moments later. Oddly this manifestation also includes whatever clothing he wears but not items he holds. Thus he is often seen carrying a gnarled staff with strange esoteric symbols carved within it that Rash'iek claims he does not understand

Just as odd Rash'iek never touches the ground. He always floats a few inches above the ground at all times and seems to move about by sheer determination or willpower. Even when he sleeps it is several inches above the covers.

Background: I do not recall when I became me, or stopped being him. What I can tell you is he, my former self, was a scholar and scientist. A man with a wife and loving family swept into the blackness of the darkness and to a world deep in the void where it changed as often as the seasons. Our existence was hard with a community that had no more then fifty souls. Tight knit famalies working hard every day to grow food, to hunt predetors, and to create a life in an ever changing world. Then the real change came as our world was swallowed up by the void, torn asunder much like the stories of our homeland.

I remember watching as it rent his beloved asunder, tore apart his children before my eyes, and then it was my turn. Again it was a world lost into the blackness of chaos and destruction and I do not know why but he did not die. The body seemed gone but the soul remained adrift in the infinite cosmos for time imemorable. At some point he lost hope and I became concious. Like a newborn babe I was endlessly curious and I tried many thought experiments and to my surprise I found I could reassemble my body. It was not an instantaneous restructuring but a slow, painful, exhausting process where I came together. Molecule by molecule. By sheer force of will I rebuilt myself, failing so many times as I was once again torn asunder by the slightest mistake, only to be forced to start over. In such an existence time is an abstract concept and I know not how long it truly took. Hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades? To me it seemed like eons, it seemed like civilizations could rise and fall before I could combine even small parts of me together...and it was maddening.

Eventually I was successful, or so I thought. Reassembled I looked about my surroundings and I could only see the black and sometimes a swirling darkness even beyond. It was then that something in the void spoke to me and offered me a way out. It would free me from that purgatory if only it accompanied me to somewhere beyond and I was a fool to accept its offer. A moment later I found myself here in the eternal city. I stood among other humans but I was not quite human anymore and I could hear that void being in my mind. I dare not speak the blasphemies it spoke of but I would not let it control me. I grabbed my knife, brought it to my own throat as I prepared to end my own life before I would allow it freedom to do as it pleased. My other hand, covered by the black grabbed hold and stopped me. In a stalemate we struck a deal, it would only observe through my eyes, taking over my body only when I allowed it.

Since that day I have joined the rest of my...I was about to say kind but as I am no longer human perhaps cousins is the more appropriate term. I am still a scholar, seeking knowledge to understand the world we find ourselves in but I have also found I have strange powers that the being, the void, or perhaps both have granted me. The ones that will speak with me lament the loss of our homeworld...and though I did not loose mine I feel a sense of nostalgia to their plight. Perhaps I can help them find a new home out in the stars I only pray that the void will not take another home from me.

Homeworld: Deep world

Health 36

Sanity 30

DV 7

Traits

Agility 2

Awareness 3

Stamina 4

Strength 2

Intellect 2

Persuasion 3

Presence 4

Willpower 4

Skills

Acrobatics

Anatomy

Animal handling

Athletics

Commerce

Cryptography

Enquiry

Expression

Herbalism

Intimidation

Intrigue

Languages

Larceny

Lore, common 2

Lore, occult 3

Lore, scholastic 2

Navigation

Observe

Performance

Rituals

Socialize

Stealth

Streetwise

Subterfuge

Survival

Trade skills

Combat skills

Blunt weapons 2

Talents

Imposing:The character casts a long shadow, metaphorically speaking. Their manner discomforts people a little, and they have learnt to use that to their advantage. Imposing characters gain a +1 on attempts to persuade or command others through oratory, intimidation or threats, or to interrogate them (though the bonus does not apply to torture). Guards and other alert people tend to keep a close eye on the imposing character, which allows their comrades to avoid attention when trying to avoid notice nearby, gaining a +1 die modifier if a roll is required.

Composed: The character is naturally composed, remaining calm and in control even under tense circumstances. She is unlikely to panic and can keep a level head under the most trying circumstances, gaining +1 to resist all fear, awe, delirium and intimidation rolls.

Flaws

Distinctive Appearance (mild): The character has a distinctive appearance, such as albinism, short stature or great height. They are easily noticeable and stand out in a crowd of peers, making people take note of and remember the character. As a result, they have a -1 on Subterfuge rolls. During violent encounters, some opponents may even be inclined to target the character if given a choice.

Backgrounds:

Caste 1 (Baltu): This caste enjoys few privileges and is largely associated with unskilled labourers and slaves of negligible importance. Baltu are at the very bottom of society and largely confined to the slum areas of the Eternal City - unless in chains.

Educated 2: The character is educated, has learned civilised manners and is somewhat versed in academic arts such as philosophy, languages and history. Due to the character’s obvious schooling, eloquence and etiquette he or she gains +1 to reactions when encountering high castes educated or scholarly people. Furthermore, the character only suffers a -1 penalty to lore skills he or she is untrained in

Residence 3: The dwelling is a small chamber or other space with room for one occupant.

Voidmarked: Human, but not entirely human; Voidmarked characters have been affected by the effects beyond the Veil of Cosmic reality in one way or another. There are several variants of Voidmarked, which are distinctly different from each other: Those who have been influenced by the strange warping effects in Llyhn or from Void-travelling, the offspring of human and Daimonic beings, and those few who have attained ascension. Because of their diverse backgrounds or parentage Voidmarked vary considerably in appearance and temperament. Those that retain a generally human form usually display several outlandish characteristics such as strange eyes, odd complexion or other faintly non-human characteristics. Voidmarked characters may have regular and esoteric attributes and acquire Mystic powers.

Esoteric Atributes

Aerial (5 points): A character with this Attribute is not restricted by gravity but able to fly by sheer will. The character can move in any direction she desires when in the air without the restriction of needing space for wings. The character can move at the normal rate and carry as much as her strength would ordinarily allow.

Powers

Mysticism(Furor) 3

Forces sphere 1: Acceleration, gravity, momentum, kinetic energy, fire, heat, wind, light, and darkness

Well lets move onto another oldie but goodie. Anyone like Mech games? Well Im not sure this one qualifies as just a mech game, I would say its more a sci-fi epic with mechs in it. I was first exposed to this game when I picked up a fun mech video game out of a bargain bin, took it home, and played the heck out of it (its got a pretty good soundtrack too, Im listening to it as I write this). It wasnt till several years later that I found out it had a TTRPG and a minitures line to go with it. Strangely this might be the one game I have only played in and never GMed myself. Welcome to Heavy gear!

Setting: If you really want to deep dive heres a video but Ill give you the cliff notes version. In the 62nd century the north and south sides of a previous colony world are at war, using all kinds of military firepower and having created mobile weapons platforms specifically for war: Gears. These walking tanks are able to carry vast amounts of firepower and able to be built with missions criteria and/or pilot skills in mind. The north is seen as more religious and the south more secular and as befits settings of that time religion = good guys and secularism = bad guys (although I would say in this day and age those ideas are flipped). That said, this conflict goes well beyond religious differences as theres a lot of bad blood on both sides and reasons that both sides are constantly fighting. Personally I've always liked the south a bit more because I feel like they have a little more character despite being recklessly expansionist and commonly painted as the bad guys.

Between these 2 super powers is a planetary desert running along the equator commonly reffered to as the badlands. Its pretty much a massive demilitarized zone that both sides violate routinely. However there are also people that live in the badlands. People just trying to get by, law enforcers, merchants, cartels, smugglers, badlands revolutionaries, and so much more. It is a vast and sprawling setting that can be as deep as an ocean if you want it to.

That said, Im all about the giant robot combat so lets get to my gear pilot

Show this

spacer.png

Name: Captain Sharish Stone

Concept: Elite Gear Pilot

Callsign: Demon

Unit: 1st Black Dragons

Theme song

Personality: Duty above all else. Sharish is a patriot and a war veteran seeking nothing more then the destruction or willing surrender of her enemies. She is a tactician who uses her units to the best of their abilities and her company contains nothing but specialized pilots in varying fields so they may cover all wartime circumstances with experienced soldiers. She cares for the soldiers under her command and would never ask them to do something she would not be willing to do herself. Neither does she seek glory in the form of stories or medals eschewing recognition for results.

When out of her element she is quick to seek advice from more specialized and/or experienced pilots and is always open to ideas to complete missions with less casualties or greater efficiency. However when she is commited to a plan she shuts down further debate and leads her soldiers often taking the head of the formation.

She pilots one of the newest (and fastest) black mamba designs eschewing the standard auto-cannons for a far more destructive heavy auto-cannon with upgraded heavy actuators to compensate for the extra weight. In the battlefield she often takes the role of a shocktrooper. Charging into the enemy as her allies provide supporting fire, flank enemies, or cut of escaping soldiers and vehicles. She is quick to pick apart enemy gears when she can and takes prisoners of war whenever possible, treating them with the utmost respect and humility due captured soldiers. However she does not falter from utterly destroying enemy troops when the need arises. This is war after all

Though she is a soldier through and through she hopes that one day the war with the north will end in their willing surrender. For she fears that after the last intergalactic conflict earth will return forcing both sides to band together yet again in a bloody crusade to kick them off Terra Nova. Yet there are even more murmurings of other ex-colonies that have unified and began to expand their influence across the stars.

Background: Born in the far southern jungles of Terra Nova. Sharish comes from a very long line of gear pilots with both her parents tracing a lineage back several generations to the first gears built by the Allied southern territories. Having grown up a military brat she moved around a lot as a child with her parents receiving assignments all across the badlands till they eventually became test pilots for experimental gear designs and weaponry. Every time they would return home and regale her with exciting stories of warfare and conflict. This inspired both a patriotic side in her and desire to serve her people. At the young age of ten she began reading technical documents, scientific journals, and combat reports of incursions in the badlands and by applying herself through determination and hard work she moved through various schools quickly.

As soon as she could she enlisted in the military at first serving as a maintenance operative in the 182nd armored core brigade. At nights she would go to school to further her education and knowledge earning a masters degree in electrical engineering by age 24. With her education firmly behind her she took the tests to become an officer and was promoted to lieutenant 2nd class and assigned to the 402nd mobile gear company.

After many successful sorties she finally hit some bad luck as their battalion was pinned down by a number of striders with heavy firepower. Their initial losses were staggering but Sharish picked up the pieces, taking charge when her commander was killed in the line of duty. She ordered smoke grenades being deployed to make a hasty retreat and by the time they found cover in the mountains there were only five working gears left and seven pilots, 3 of them being injured. With those mobile weapons platforms looking for them Sharish ordered her soldiers to evacuate the area as she acted as a decoy to help them escape.

She took the lightest gear, stipping it of all non-essential systems, knowing that one hit from the heavy firepower would likely kill her and she recorded a last will and testament for her family giving it to her soldiers, just in case. She was sure she was going to die on this sortie but as she took a position in the mountains the rain began. Rain, the bane of sensors and of sight. In those mountains she took a knee in her gear, lined up the shot with a snub cannon and fired. The loud sound echoing and the rain covering the muzzle flash before the bullet tore through the first weapon platform, its right leg destroyed and rendering it useless. A second shot rang out, this one piercing the cockpit of the next platform but now they were on her. Targeting sensors picking up her signal and weapons firing at maximum range. She dodged just in time, loosing the gear's left arm and main weapon as she engaged its wheels and rushed through the trees. Firing a salvo of rockets from her shoulder mounted rocket pack into the downed Strider till its chassis exploded

"Just one more!" she thought as she moved down the mountain at break neck speeds. She couldnt believe she was going head to head with that monster in nothing but a scout gear. It started with a high explosive grenade as she zipped by, the platforms weapons firing and tearing down rocks and tree's. As she spun around she released a salvo of rockets into the weapons array destroying the left side. However she had no time to react before the striders hand reached forward grabbing her gear by the chest. She watched as the hydraulic hands of the monster began to squeeze, bending the metal and breaking the screens at the front of her cockpit. All she could do was switch to her heavy machine guns aim at the enemy cockpit and pull the trigger. The bullets bounced off the heavy armor, each one unable to penetrate the mobile weapons platforms armor and in one last desperate move she threw her final grenade into the machine guns firing line causing a massive explosion.

She awoke, her gear and the strider destroyed as the rain continued to pour. Weeks later she would make her way back to the nearest military outpost on foot. Her exploits and bravery above and beyond the call of duty earning her a medal and a full promotion to captain. She quickly proposed a quick reaction force for such conflicts specialized in search and destroy tactics for enemy striders and gear formations and with some convincing the 1st Black Dragons company was formed.

Attributes

Agility 2

Appearance 0

Build 1

Creativity -1

Fitness 2

Influence 1

Knowledge 1

Perception 2

Psyche 0

Willpower 3

Secondary Traits

Strength 7

Health 8

Stamina 70

Unarmed damage 11

Armed Damage 11

Skills

Electronics 3

Heavy Gear pilot 4

Heavy Gear Architecture 2

Heavy Gear Gunnery 3

Mechanics 2

Small arms 1

Equipment

Desert suit

Military Communicator

Gear Pilot helmet

Rifle (20 rounds)

Gear

Black Mamba Gear

spacer.png

Primary weapon: Paxton MR60 Heavy auto cannon Range 1200 M Penetration 150 MM Ammo 30

Secondary weapons: Vogel-8 Rocket Packs x2 Range 400 M Penetration 325 MM Ammo 32 Each

Grenade: HE-C4 Hand grenade Range 20-50 M Penetration 225 mm Ammo 3

*Note: Character was made for Cinematic power level of play

So yesterday I decided to try out the city of heros homecoming server. Its pretty sweet if you like that game. So I decided I would take my favorite city of heros character which was made for pure comedy reasons and then he became my main long ago. There is no city of heros TTRPG though so I will be using the only super hero themed game Ive ever used Icons assembled

Show this

Name: Poppycock

Background: Poppycock was just a normal chicken living out his chicken life on a small farm destined for for a short life before being turned into a bucket of KFC. However as Colonel Sanders was experimenting with new processes to raise chickens something in Poppycock mutated. The steroids worked impossibly well as his muscles swelled to a massive degree and a combination of drugs made his skin nearly invulnerable to physical damage. The mutations continued though until he became much more manlike with massive hands, chicken feet, and a pair of strong feathery wings like that of an angel but most of all his greatest mutation was that of individuality and intellgience.

Not knowing how Poppycock became a sentiant being and left his farm behind. For a long time he wandered through the rural farmlands and wilderness. Eventually he came to the city and one of his first experiences was seeing a young woman getting mugged and begging for help. Poppycock was quick to assist, punching the thug in the gut and dropping him to his knees. The woman profusely thanked him, giving him a red shawl as a gift which he still wears over his face, to unsuccessfully hide his inhuman appearance. Yet that experience inspired something in Poppycock as it made him feel good to help others, it was food for the soul. Since that day he continues his patrols through the streets, taking out criminals, and helping others with his super strength, and assisting other heros that require a near industructable chicken man's help.

Origin: Transformed The hero was a normal creature but became superhuman through some outside agency, often an accident or experiment. One of the character's abilities of your choice (attribute or power) is increased by +2 to a maximum of 10.

Attributes

Prowess 7 (Incredible)

Coodination 3 (Average)

Strength 10 (Super human)

Intellect 2 (poor)

Awareness 4 (Above average)

Willpower 6 (Great)

Powers

Flight 3 (average)

Strike 8 (Great)

Resistance to Damage 6 (Great)

Specialties